RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   Tipo Flying Again (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/11201947-tipo-flying-again.html)

billtulsa 08-22-2012 05:14 AM

Tipo Flying Again

1 Attachment(s)
Last fall I wrestled Rusty Dose for his Tipo and fortunately won. I have not been able to get out and fly much lately but did manage to get everything set on the plane and tuned up this past weekend. Headed to the field, bolted it together it was running in no time.

The airplane has a YS 60 short stroke, the best engine ever made in my opinion. Running on 30% heli fuel, it hauls the mail big time. Wide open throttle split S's- Awesome. A fellow modeler made the comment that he had never heard and engine run so smooth and have that much power at the same time. Probably why I still have about a dozen or so stashed away for upcoming projects. I've collected them for years.

I could fly this airplane every day and not get bored. Really brings back some great memories of the real days of pattern.

I wish more people would get inspired to build and fly these aircraft, but, progress in pattern or any discipline in our hobby is what brings on all the great advancements. For me, I sure like this though. Now on to building my Escape and trying to duplicate the one I had in 1985. Hope you have a great Sr. pattern project yourself.

Bill C.

gdaddy 08-22-2012 05:36 AM

RE: Tipo Flying Again

Right on, Bill!

That's a good looking Tipo! I'll have to tell dad to check out this picture. He doesn't believe me when Itell him guys still enjoy flying the Tipo these days.

Very Cool!

Guy

lindyq 08-22-2012 06:02 AM

Hey Bill, it looks awesome!

Chris sent me some pics off his phone, he said it was really amazing watching the Tipo groove through the sky. Would love to see and hear it fly sometime!

Hope you are well!
Lindy<br type="_moz" />

J Strong 08-22-2012 07:24 AM

Darn, I was just out in Tulsa picking up my 4th VW TDI, just two months ago. Makes me want two drive back out, jus to see it.
We just finished a knockout BPA contest I Huntsville this past weekend, and a SPA contest this weekend in Chattanooga. I'm rustling to get a bird finished to compete this weekend, but could always use my Buds blue bullet ( 40 kaos with a evolution 60L) tha trucks along close to 110 mph. Think it even out runs my Calypso, and. Know it's hitting 103-104. So far that's my first BPA with a REAL BPA plane that's flys good, and I've one for one, he he he :).
How do you post pics o this site?

Dave Harmon 08-22-2012 11:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine.....
Imron paint B&D retracts Rossi short pipe fast and loud
Just the way I like em'.
Bill....now I just gotta finish the NXS with the new Rossi RE SS and another Rossi short pipe.

lindyq 08-22-2012 12:56 PM

Look at that young fella! Good lookiing plane Dave, wish I could have seen it in person, "back in the day". Been missing seeing you, man!
Lindy

Dave Harmon 08-22-2012 01:54 PM

ORIGINAL: lindyq

Look at that young fella! Good lookiing plane Dave, wish I could have seen it in person, ''back in the day''. Been missing seeing you, man!
Lindy
Lindy!
Great to hear from you....I shoulda called before now!
Lets get together and help me burn up some of this glow fuel!

lindyq 08-22-2012 07:45 PM

Would love to Dave! I desperately need to burn a lot of fuel, might as well be yours! lol.
Give me a shout, let's get together.

bob mann 08-23-2012 08:28 AM

I also have a Tipo , buit it in late 70 or 80 so long ago i cant remember great plane powered by os 61 fsr abc tuned pipe and mix on that big 7-d carb lots of fun .Bob

8178 08-23-2012 09:37 AM

ORIGINAL: bob mann

I also have a Tipo , buit it in late 70 or 80 so long ago i cant remember great plane powered by os 61 fsr abc tuned pipe and mix on that big 7-d carb lots of fun .Bob
Hi Bob,

I remember you flying it at the SRAC field.

energyman 08-26-2012 08:03 AM

Bill,

If you don't mind me asking, what prop are you running? Thanks

Danny Jackson

BERUSTY 08-30-2012 05:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The model does fly very very well. I actually flew the FAI P-11 schedule at an event in 2011...tricky to keep it in the box BUT it flew the integrated rolling loop great and the rolls are just crazy cool!

The prop is an APC 11 x 9 with Cool Power 15% and Magnum I.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Former owner

dhal22 08-30-2012 05:26 PM

Rusty, I see you have posted in this thread but nothing is showing. Do you have a comment that you need help posting?

CGRetired 09-12-2012 05:06 AM

I usually get an Email when there is a post awaiting approval. I must have missed that one. Sorry. I approved it just now.

Please, before you ask, don't get on my case about "approving Rusty's posts" because I have absolutely no control over who is and who is not on the approval list.

CGr.

crankpin 09-12-2012 03:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Bill - You are holding history, see Dave Brown.

Crank

dhal22 09-12-2012 06:02 PM

Vince,

Bill is no slouch in the pattern history world either. My uncle was a member in Bill's club and still talks about his skills.

Dave Harmon 09-12-2012 08:03 PM

ORIGINAL: dhal22

Vince,

Bill is no slouch in the pattern history world either. My uncle was a member in Bill's club and still talks about his skills.
Dave.....I'm in the same club....Just had a nice conversation with Bill at club meeting on Sunday. ;)

dhal22 09-13-2012 01:09 PM

Dave, my uncle moved to the other side of Tulsa (Sand Springs) a few years ago and dropped his membership due to the distance. We fly on his property occasionally. My maiden flight was at your club in the early 80's. I still remember the flight.

MMcConville 10-01-2012 10:32 AM

To be fair, I think Rusty should build a Malibu and paint it in Bill's scheme and sell it to Dave Brown....