RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   NEW CPA Patterns 2013 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/11318503-new-cpa-patterns-2013-a.html)

PatternPilot 12-03-2012 04:45 PM

NEW CPA Patterns 2013

Hi All,

Well for those wanting to compete in a CPA contest here are the NEW patterns for 2013... The CPA membership voted these patterns in.... The first CPA contest will be in Lancaster CA. February 2013.

http://www.classicpatternassociation.../1980-1981.pdf

scott

speedracerntrixie 12-03-2012 05:50 PM

RE: NEW CPA Patterns 2013

Scott, maybe I am missing something there. It appears to be a manuver catalog as opposed to sequences for the seperate classes. What am I missing?

PatternPilot 12-03-2012 05:59 PM

Page 40 & 41 have the patterns... In masters they pick 14 manuvers from the list for a max score of 450 points... I will have call card on the CPA website soon...

speedracerntrixie 12-03-2012 06:12 PM

Thanks Scott, I will look for them. Thinking either Advanced or Masters but need to look at sequences before I take the old Kaos out to practice.

PatternPilot 12-03-2012 06:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are patterns minus masters... to tired to keep typing :D

TonyF 12-03-2012 09:48 PM

While I'm happy to see the way Masters will now be run I'm having a problem with 5 classes now instead of 4. I'm right now feeling that I will not be offering Pre-Novice at my contest in February. There is very little difference between it and Novice and until we can build up the entries I think I will stay with 4 classes.

burtona 12-04-2012 05:58 AM

Yeah, untill and if we have enough interest and contestants to justify pre-novice I'll only have four at our contest too.
Dave

J Strong 12-04-2012 06:19 AM

The way have establish the pre novice in SPA is basically for the plane being flown, being out of era. IMO, it should be a CD option to have the pre Novice class, and you could award cheap certificates ( about like we do with trophies anyway), cause the pic on a piece of paper in a frame does a lot for folks that's never gotten one.
As easy as the Novice is in BPA already, I see no reason to change the maneuvers at all. It would only allow the fellow with the Sequence or the World Models super sportster to fly in a contest and not be competing with folks flying the vintage planes. Honestly, the little Sequence could about blow away some of our older vintage planes, depending on the stick moves.
I flew one in the Masters class at the Tangerines two or three years ago because my 2 meter was down for repair, and most of the 7 Master pilots we're laughing when the contest started, but they were not laughing when it was over :) all about the sticks anyway, JMO.
CD option would be my choice, and not to add the 5th class.

JMO,

PatternPilot 12-04-2012 06:32 AM

Hi All,

yep... Your right it is always CD's option to delete a class. It just needs to be advertised prior to the event. I can see that Pre-Novice will most like be dropped from events.

I will work more on the call cards and post them on the Classic Pattern Association (CPA) website.

Scott

J Strong 12-04-2012 06:37 AM

Sounds good,
Almost 4 months till the next contest :(, bummer!
I'd had 22 contest on my schedule last year and expect as many next year, but Family obligations with elderly Parents dictate when and where I go, just a part of my life now.
Finally I have all three types of pattern aircraft, SPA, BPA, and AMA in my fleet. I'm one happy camper :).

PatternPilot 12-04-2012 06:43 AM

Sorry to be off topic.

Jamie, do you have any CPA dates for Prattville yet ?

scott

TonyF 12-04-2012 08:38 AM

I personally have no problem with non-Classic models entering any of the classes at my events. As long as they are somewhat representative I see no problem. I feel it is more about the style of flying then what model you are flying. I would seriously frown on a full blown 2-meter or a large IMAC model, but until the numbers grow I'm not turning anyone away.

J Strong 12-04-2012 01:45 PM

Just the way I see it, however I don't want these guys flying a non BPA type plane taking a trophy from the guy thats doing it right. And you might limit the weight of the planes competing, to keep it on a level field. That would knock the larger 30% plus from flying our stuff.
Plus it gives folks of the same likes a starting place, without buying all new stuff to try it.
Think we are all on the same page :).

Ralph White 12-04-2012 03:30 PM

I agree with Jamie and Tony. But I don't want to see non Classic planes taking trophies away from the flyers that are flying Classic Planes. Maybe let them fly the non-Classic plane in the event but they don't qualify for placing in the top 5 or something like that. I also feel the same way about using engines larger than .61 (or maybe .65).

Ralph

CHiatt 12-04-2012 03:45 PM

So, just what is a 'classic' then... is there a list like SPA? I'm hoping anything pre-'turnaround' era...

I'm really looking forward to joining in the fun... I love the new pattern! I still have my call card from the '81 Masters somewhere...

When's the first projected event for '13 in the SE?

Cliff

PatternPilot 12-04-2012 04:14 PM

Cliff,

A list for what ?

Scott cpa#2

EscapeFlyer 12-04-2012 04:48 PM

I think the Pre-Novice is a great idea for Pattern Primers and similar events....

Brian

CHiatt 12-05-2012 09:22 AM

Scott,
A list of what are considered to be 'classic' pattern ships?

Cliff

EscapeFlyer 12-05-2012 10:32 AM

Cliff,

There is no such list for the CPA.

If you are searching for personal specifics, maybe Model Aviation can help you. The link below will bring you to the AMA and show you Classic pattern airplanes that were competitive from 1975 thru the end of non-turnaround pattern. Look thru the November editions.

https://library.modelaviation.com/ma/1978/11

Of course, this is not exhaustive as there are plenty of airplanes that are classic pattern ships that pre-date 1975.... airplanes like the Kaos and Super Kaos, the Ugly Stick, the Taurus, and the Orion, just to name a few. The main guidelines are to "try" to keep the wingspan as close to 72 inches(ish) or smaller, and have fun!

We will not turn you away for flying modern airplanes either. However, keep in mind that the goal is to fly the classic pattern airplane designs with the non-turnaround pattern cycles. Depending on the discretion of the host and/or CD, you may or may not place in the upper eschelons of competition. You will not be turned away from participation.

Electric power, nitro power, pipes, and retracts are all welcome and add to the fun.

Hope this helps.

Brian Lundberg
N Central US CPA Director
www.classicpatternassociation.com

80sPattern 12-05-2012 11:15 AM

My two cents......

Ithink Classic Pattern is "one menuever per pass." Ido not think you have to fly an old plane to do this. The contest is one of flying skill isn't it? It is about the style of flying, not the airplane. In my opinion, if a guy shows up with a 47" Osiris and wants to fly our pattern, we should welcome him.

Can we just limit the power plant like we did in the old days and let the chips fall where they may? Ithink we should allow up to .65 for two-stroke (to allow for the OS), 120 for a four-stroke and find a reasonable measurement for electric. (Maybe 1600 watts?) These restrictions will keep guys with IMAC or 2M planes for gaining an unfair advantage.

Ipersonally could care less if somebody stratch builds a "pattern" plane and competes as long as he falls within the power guidelines above. Back in the day a bunch of guys flew their own designs. That was part of the fun.

Doug

KLXMASTER14 12-05-2012 11:42 AM

ORIGINAL: 80sPattern

My two cents......

I think Classic Pattern is ''one menuever per pass.'' I do not think you have to fly an old plane to do this. The contest is one of flying skill isn't it? It is about the style of flying, not the airplane. In my opinion, if a guy shows up with a 47'' Osiris and wants to fly our pattern, we should welcome him.

Can we just limit the power plant like we did in the old days and let the chips fall where they may? I think we should allow up to .65 for two-stroke (to allow for the OS), 120 for a four-stroke and find a reasonable measurement for electric. (Maybe 1600 watts?) These restrictions will keep guys with IMAC or 2M planes for gaining an unfair advantage.

I personally could care less if somebody stratch builds a ''pattern'' plane and competes as long as he falls within the power guidelines above. Back in the day a bunch of guys flew their own designs. That was part of the fun.

Doug

Flight scores are the ultimate arbiter. Flight scores are used to determine the winner. And if you can whip my hiney flying a funky plane, you are The Man.

The requirements of flying the pattern maneuvers in a manner that gains the highest score will dictate and drive aircraft design. That is why we have the designs that we cherish today. They were bred to do just that. Bottom line is that there is not much likelihood that anyone will gain any advantage by flying a "non-classic" airplane in classic pattern competition. If you want to win, practice.

-Robert

PatternPilot 12-05-2012 12:06 PM

deleted

PatternPilot 12-05-2012 12:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: 80sPattern

My two cents......

I think Classic Pattern is ''one menuever per pass.'' I do not think you have to fly an old plane to do this. The contest is one of flying skill isn't it? It is about the style of flying, not the airplane. In my opinion, if a guy shows up with a 47'' Osiris and wants to fly our pattern, we should welcome him.

Can we just limit the power plant like we did in the old days and let the chips fall where they may? I think we should allow up to .65 for two-stroke (to allow for the OS), 120 for a four-stroke and find a reasonable measurement for electric. (Maybe 1600 watts?) These restrictions will keep guys with IMAC or 2M planes for gaining an unfair advantage.

I personally could care less if somebody stratch builds a ''pattern'' plane and competes as long as he falls within the power guidelines above. Back in the day a bunch of guys flew their own designs. That was part of the fun.

Doug

Guys,

It is pretty simple .......we are following the 1980-1981 rule book for the next 4 years.. That is what the CPA members have voted on , just like the patterns. We never said if someone comes out to try Classic Pattern with a Osiris they would be turned away.... Yes IMAC & 2 Meter stuff I can see people having heart burn over that.

The main goal of CPA is to fly the old planes as they where.. Not doing what SPA did and allowing planes to be a loose outline using current airfoils and re-engineered. ( Example) Not looking for a 1955 show car body on a 2012 chassis and engine.

Here is a partial list of planes used during 1975- 1991 the source was AMA NATS report. This not a complete list ! Is it so hard to fly a old design ? Like Robert Fish said PRACTICE !!

Yes we need to work on the electric output as SPA had with there growing pains.

As always it is the CD's option to drop a class, just need to advertise that prior to contest.

Don't forget CPA renewals for 2013 are open now and as always we accept NEW members all the time.

Rule book - http://www.classicpatternassociation.../1980-1981.pdf

CHiatt 12-05-2012 05:47 PM

OK, kinda what I figured.

I actively flew pattern from '74 to '81 (really into '82 just enough to qualify for the next Masters) before going all in with helis. I remember most of the designs that were flown during that era but lost track when turnaround was on the horizon. I concur that in the end it comes down to pilot/practice that decides the outcome... I won Masters class at the Florida Pattern Assn. Champs in '81 flying a 'funky' (non-classic?) Andrews Aeromaster Too with a piped ST X.60 in it. That was a fun plane...

I'm new to the CPA/BPA scene (and will join the group!) and was just wondering what sort of limitations regarding equipment were in place. I hadn't noted any specifics like found with SPA rules. I do, however like the engine limitation idea...

Anybody have preliminary contest dates for '13?

Cliff

PatternPilot 12-05-2012 05:53 PM

1st contest in 2013 will be on the west coast..

scott