RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   Desire 60 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/11587734-desire-60-a.html)

Fear2722 10-02-2013 08:42 PM

Desire 60

Hey all

Winter project is to build the Flying Models (Mike McConville design) Desire 60. I have the plans, don't have an instruction manual, or a build sheet.

It was made in the 80's, not sure if they even came with them. If anyone has knowledge of this and could point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it. I guess instructions are for sissies, but the materials list would help me immensely!!

Thanks

J Lachowski 10-03-2013 03:40 PM

There was an article for this plane in Flying Models. That is all you are going to get on construction of this plane.

flywilly 10-03-2013 04:40 PM

Are you building the Desire from scratch? R/C City is back in business and can provide the foam cores and the fiberglass fuselage top deck and cowl for a reasonable price.
The construction article has far more information than most instruction sheets that used to come with the old glass and foam kits (if there were any instructions).
Good Luck and post some photos of the build and finished airplane, please!
Will

790 10-04-2013 03:55 PM

This thread might help:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clas...sire-60-a.html

Fear2722 10-06-2013 08:47 AM

Yes going to do it from Scratch. RC City only has 1.20 parts, however I did e-mail them and asked if they could locate the .60 stuff. I suppose, in all reality, that if they had a kit for the 1.20 I could "go big." I've discovered that a lot of these old pattern kits were just plans and up to the user to figure out. There aren't many kit builders, let alone scratch builders in the area. After I finish framing this Stearman... this is going to be my winter project! I will take plenty of pictures and post a materials list.

Atlanta 60 10-07-2013 10:02 AM

Hey...I have a Desire 60 partially assembled...When I got it I remember gathering all the info I could at the time...I know I have the print, magazine and some other stuff in a manilla envelope (just gotta find it..he he)...I will chack and see what I have...

Eureka Aircraft has the foam cores for the wing and stab:
http://eurekaaircraft.com/foamwings/wing-d.htm

Let me know if you can not obtain a fiberglass turtledeck and chin cowl...I thought they were available but if not I can splash mine...

Chuck

Fear2722 10-07-2013 02:29 PM

I would definitely be interested in what you are willing to part with. 309-368-1267 is my number, feel free to call! Donivan

Atlanta 60 10-07-2013 06:16 PM

I found the manilla envelope with my Desire information and there is no instruction manual like I thought, just a copy of the magazine article which is in the post 790 made above...Sorry I thought I had something more...

Stuart Chale 10-11-2013 06:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My 60 sized desire. I built 2, sold one held on to this one. I also have a bunch of parts cut and wings built if you are interested send me a PM.
I remember seeing the desire at the Nats when Mike McConville first flew it. I really liked the way it looked in the air (or the way he flew it). I was able to get him to send me 2 sets of fiberglass parts and plans. At the time it looked to be the best 60 sized plane suited for turnaround. The 120 powered planes showed up shortly after and they started to dominate.
Stuart

Stuart Chale 10-11-2013 06:09 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Some parts I have. Should have the plans as well.

flywilly 10-11-2013 11:46 AM

Hi Stuart,
I am interested in your accumulated Desire parts. Enough for two airplanes? Did you modify the .60 sized version for plug-in wings? I am familiar with your workmanship, which looks excellent! I have the Flying Models kit review of the Brushfire (from a few decades ago) and our paths crossed back in the '80s when I still lived in New England and flew many of the pattern contests back then. PM me a price for everything shipped to Richmond, Va.
Thanks,
Will Bartlett

Stuart Chale 10-11-2013 12:30 PM

Yes I made it a plug in wing with the pipe below the fuse box instead of inside of the fuse. A balsa belly pan covers it. Inverted engine with a fuse top header. I will try to get a couple of pics of it when I can.

Fear2722 10-11-2013 12:32 PM

Hopefully I'm first in line to purchase!

MMcConville 10-14-2013 05:44 AM

Sweet!

Fear2722 10-15-2013 03:08 PM

Stuart I haven't had a reply from you, still very interested in purchasing your parts. Please let me know!

Stuart Chale 10-18-2013 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Fear2722 (Post 11639449)
Stuart I haven't had a reply from you, still very interested in purchasing your parts. Please let me know!

Did you get my PM?

Fear2722 10-22-2013 01:21 PM

Now I know this was designed for a rear exhaust .60 sized engine... Any other recomendations? 2 stroke preferred. Thanks

doxilia 10-22-2013 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Fear2722 (Post 11644473)
Now I know this was designed for a rear exhaust .60 sized engine... Any other recomendations? 2 stroke preferred. Thanks

Err..., no, not really. With two current production excellent rear exhaust 60's available, why use any other two stroke. Maybe a Jett 90 FIRE but I'd stick with the NovaRossi or YS.

David

Atlanta 60 10-23-2013 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Fear2722 (Post 11644473)
Any other recomendations? 2 stroke preferred. Thanks

One of the new YS or NovaRossi engines with pipe for sure!!

Stuart Chale 10-23-2013 02:46 PM

The desire was designed for turnaround. One of the early planes designed for turnaround before the 120's really hit the scene. It was not meant to fly as fast as the older "AMA" pattern designs. For 60's it was designed for a long stroke, Bigger props lower RPM. I ran OS 60 Rear exhaust pumpers or the Hanno pumper in mine.

Stuart

doxilia 10-23-2013 03:32 PM

Good point Stuart.

i jumped at the NR and YS recommendations because they are excellent and current. While the YS Classic is a short stroke (by request), the NR R61F is actually a long stroke. Both the high timed Speed and the lower timed non speed version. Either one seems to produce excellent output on larger props like 12x8 and 12x10 but the low timed NR might be best for the Desire.

There are of course some YS 61R and AR and OS 61 RF-P's around to be had as well designed for 12" or 13" props.

David

Stuart Chale 10-23-2013 03:48 PM

I flew at my first BPA event this summer. My 1986 Atlanta, a slightly older XLT and a bunch of new Phoenix 7's. My OS pumper and an OS 60 non pumper also from the 80's or so were the only engines with no engine issues, no deadsticks etc. The other guys were mostly running newer stuff. Brought back old memories of engines dying before take off, on take off, and going deadstick. Add to that a broken header, multiple planes with retract issues and you realize how simple we have it now especially with the electrics. (I did blow a glow plug after the first round) The OS pumper even being over 25 years old started with a flick of the spinner cone each time. Only used a starter once that weekend.

Stuart

Fear2722 10-23-2013 04:38 PM

Wish I could find an OS 60 RE laying around! The NR 61 seems to be better for my pocket book than the YS. Never had anything with a tuned pipe. I'm assuming "turnaround" means it turns better in the sequence and doesn't tip stall at high degree bank angles like others would?

Still sitting on the fence at having retracts.

doxilia 10-23-2013 05:01 PM

Fear,

You will like these cool RE piped engines. If you want an OS 61RF(-P), just post a wanted ad and you should have one reasonably quickly. But, the NR's are an excellent choice with great value and outstanding performance.

I won't get into the meaning of "turnaround" on my phone... Stuart can explain... :D

David

Stuart Chale 10-23-2013 06:32 PM

Current pattern is like IMAC, turnaround. You are judged on the entire flight. Center maneuver, left turnaround maneuver, center maneuver, right turnaround etc. The old "AMA" style, BPA and SPA you are judged on maneuvers in the center only. We used to do a 1/2 reverse Cuban 8 as turnarounds 1/2 a mile away :) Then fly at full throttle to the center stage for your maneuver. In order to fly turnaround you need a plane that will fly slower. The switch to turnaround started somewhere in the mid to late 80's. Initially with one class and then the rest I think. The Desire was from 1989 and was the first plane that I saw that actually looked good flying turnaround. A year or 2 later the first YS 120 4 strokes showed up and they were more powerful than the piped 60's turned a bigger prop at lower speeds which helped fly the bigger planes.

OS 61 pumpers come up now and again for sale This one was from 9/13
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=870066

I would sure hate to see you cover up the beautiful wheel wells on the Desire wings :)