RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   Blue Angel - Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/3973867-blue-angel-build.html)

judgedredd 10-08-2015 12:12 AM

Hi Mike (8178),

Do you have any specific details on the epoxy and micro balloons that you used (as in the brand names of the products)? And is the combination really easy to sand and get very smooth? Looking at doing a project that requires lots of filling in of small screw holes and making them smooth so that they are not noticeable.

8178 10-10-2015 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by judgedredd (Post 12110231)
Hi Mike (8178),

Do you have any specific details on the epoxy and micro balloons that you used (as in the brand names of the products)? And is the combination really easy to sand and get very smooth? Looking at doing a project that requires lots of filling in of small screw holes and making them smooth so that they are not noticeable.

I guess it would depend on what maternal your screws are in. The micro balloons I use are made by Prather Products and can be mixed with any epoxy or resin. The micro balloons/resin mix is harder than balsa so it works best as filler when you are filling balsa that has glass cloth on it or coated with resin or epoxy. The Blue Angel was fiber glassed with resin so the micro balloons were mixed with resin.

Mike

judgedredd 10-10-2015 03:00 PM

Thanks for the info Mike.

As to what material the screw holes are in.... they are in compressed cork with a 'rubberized' type clear coat (sealer?). So I am gathering that micro balloons can be mixed with any sort of epoxy or cement? Sorry if this is off-topic but this is the only place/thread where I could think of of asking these questions.

8178 10-11-2015 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by judgedredd (Post 12111423)
Thanks for the info Mike.

As to what material the screw holes are in.... they are in compressed cork with a 'rubberized' type clear coat (sealer?). So I am gathering that micro balloons can be mixed with any sort of epoxy or cement? Sorry if this is off-topic but this is the only place/thread where I could think of of asking these questions.

I'm not sure how that is going to work on a rubberized surface. You might want to do some testing. The epoxy/resin is hard surface than can be sanded.

Mike

Dutch68 12-31-2015 03:05 AM

Hello,

do you have a file for the wing rib pattern for me?
I would like to build this plane also, but I have the same plans as you have without any wing rib drawings.

Greetings,

Maarten Nicolaas
the Netherlands
[email protected]

dhal22 01-01-2016 05:44 AM

Maarten, Mike gave a comprehensive discussion on his wing construction early on in this thread. Foam wing base of course, I don't think I've ever seen a rib file available. Surely other BA fans will know. Good luck and post a build thread if you start this project.

8178 09-04-2016 06:31 AM

My new FrSky X12S production system that takes its place next to my pre-beta test X12S http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-r...orus-x12s.html It is a pretty amazing system. The all CNC machined metal gimbals with Hall effect angle sensors are wonderful.

Mike

8178 10-02-2017 04:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The new FrSky Horus X10S telemetry system. 16/32 channels, CNC metal gimbals with ten ball bearings and digital Hall Effect sensors, runs FrOS menu driven system or OpenTX. Shown programmed for the Blue Angel and running OpenTX.

Mike

dhal22 10-02-2017 04:55 PM

That is a good looking radio.

dhal22 10-02-2017 04:56 PM

You know, this thread is approaching 12 years old.................

8178 10-03-2017 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by dhal22 (Post 12372462)
You know, this thread is approaching 12 years old.................

Yes, I can remember when we were speculating that it might get 50K views!! Haven't flown the Blue Angel in a long time, but I think I will now that our cooler weather is here.

It was a long hot summer and I spent most of it playing with my new Arris 250 race quads. Learning about flight controllers, OSD and forcing myself to feel comfortable flying FPV. Harder than you would think after flying for decades from the ground to aircraft view.

Mike

dhal22 10-03-2017 05:11 PM

Hot summer, swamped with business and coaching my son's baseball team, I haven't flown much at all this year. With GMA closing my commute to the field time is about to get a lot worse.

8178 10-05-2017 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by dhal22 (Post 12372749)
Hot summer, swamped with business and coaching my son's baseball team, I haven't flown much at all this year. With GMA closing my commute to the field time is about to get a lot worse.

The city of Atlanta owns the land where we fly now and made part of it into a park so I think we are pretty safe. At least they have been good the last few years. It is 24 miles from home around I285 so not a long trip. The run way is asphalt and is east/west and we fly from the south side of the runway so it is ideal.

Mike

Creative RC 09-13-2019 12:56 AM

Electric Blue Angel ?

Has anyone put together an electric power Blue Angel ? Is there room in the fuselage to go electric and have the plane balance?

doxilia 09-17-2019 11:38 AM

Just to expand on the comments on RCG regarding converting MK classics to electric, the main challenge is to figure out how to gain access to the LiPo pack - ideally from the top. Locating a 6s5000 pack in the tank compartment is a non-issue as they’re smaller than a 16 (even 12 in some cases) oz tank. Some weight redistribution of the radio may be needed due to the additional “nose” weight brought about by the motor/ESC/LiPo combo which weight more than an engine/tank and fuel. Wisely locating servos and the radio pack usually solves this problem including the possibility of installing twin elevator servos in the tail boom. Sometimes the radio battery also needs to sit behind the wing TE under a hatch much in the same way that the tail servos are located in the MK Skymaster.

A little creative former redesign and lite ply floor additions in the canopy area can produce a removable assembly for access to the LiPo located on a tray with the motors ESC just aft of the FW which can be moved forward a fair amount given the requirements of 50 mm can outrunner.

Also, Mike Seale scratch built both a BA as well as an Atlas using the same electric retracts and electric power systems. Here are the build logs and an excellent reference:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-pre-build-log

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...?2542547-Atlas

David

Creative RC 09-17-2019 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by doxilia (Post 12550926)
Just to expand on the comments on RCG regarding converting MK classics to electric, the main challenge is to figure out how to gain access to the LiPo pack - ideally from the top. Locating a 6s5000 pack in the tank compartment is a non-issue as they’re smaller than a 16 (even 12 in some cases) oz tank. Some weight redistribution of the radio may be needed due to the additional “nose” weight brought about by the motor/ESC/LiPo combo which weight more than an engine/tank and fuel. Wisely locating servos and the radio pack usually solves this problem including the possibility of installing twin elevator servos in the tail boom. Sometimes the radio battery also needs to sit behind the wing TE under a hatch much in the same way that the tail servos are located in the MK Skymaster.

A little creative former redesign and lite ply floor additions in the canopy area can produce a removable assembly for access to the LiPo located on a tray with the motors ESC just aft of the FW which can be moved forward a fair amount given the requirements of 50 mm can outrunner.

Also, Mike Seale scratch built both a BA as well as an Atlas using the same electric retracts and electric power systems. Here are the build logs and an excellent reference:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-pre-build-log

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...?2542547-Atlas

David

Hi David,
Thank you for your valuable and timely reply. Earlier today, a club mate (a very experienced builder) and I were discussing today how to make things fit and how we would need to modify the internal structure and your reply could not have come at a better time. I will write to Mr. Seale and ask if he could post some photos of his motor, ESC, and battery bay areas and see if he has additional detailed info he could share.

We were thinking of increasing the size of the plane by 10% , a scratch build, that would provide more space, but it appears with Mike Seale's success that will not be necessary.
Again, thank you.

Francois

doxilia 09-18-2019 04:45 AM

Francois,

I’ll reply via PM on RCG in order to not “contaminate” further Mike’s excellent build thread.

David

8178 01-11-2020 05:27 PM

Amazing that this thread is still going after so many years.

Mike

dhal22 01-12-2020 06:03 AM

Going on for a reason though.

rainedave 01-14-2020 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by 8178 (Post 12575416)
Amazing that this thread is still going after so many years.

Mike

Time really flies. Mike, when I joined RCU I think you had just started your Cold Duck thread.

dhal22 01-15-2020 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by rainedave (Post 12576203)
Time really flies. Mike, when I joined RCU I think you had just started your Cold Duck thread.

It has been years and years Dave. Where have you been? Members here asked about you many many times. Good to see you post.

8178 01-17-2020 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by rainedave (Post 12576203)

Good that most of us are still alive and kicking! Where have you been?

The old Blue Angel finally made it to the most viewed thread in the Classic Pattern forum

Mike

Flori5855 10-07-2020 04:54 AM

Hi Mike,
I started my blue angel project 4 weeks ago with a kit from HangarOne / NZ. The KATO plan is identical to your blue angel project from 2006 (RCU-Forum). The CG of 180mm given in my and your plan irritates me. The results of various pc programs for the CG calculation also give me very strange results for that wing profile. I also checked the CG with plans from various manufacturers. The model data were always identical (span 1650 mm, weight 3.5 kg, engine 10 cc, etc.). In all these other plans is the CG about 135mm. :-((
I have no explanation for that. I would be very grateful if you could give me the CG of your Blue Angel.

Mayby one of the forum participants can me help either.

Many Thanks.
Greetings from Germany.
tom

doxilia 10-07-2020 05:07 AM

It would be interesting to know what range of MAC percentage that CG range represents.

keeping in mind of course that the BA has swept wing so the CG is likely much farther back than “gut feeling” would normally tell us.

I’m sure Mike will have the insight.

David

kr9x 10-07-2020 06:26 AM

Mine flies good with the CG just in front of the main gear. As I recall it was about 175mm. For me, an old guy, fly's great! No nasty wing tip stuff when landing. And yes I use Spring Air retracts with Rossi power.
Jon