RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   World A-6 Intruder (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/5385024-world-6-intruder.html)

Skip 02-07-2007 04:14 PM

World A-6 Intruder

I I just received my World models A-6 Intruder ARF. It looks like it is very well made. I will try to post some pictures and relay some flying details as soon as weather here permits.

Skip 02-08-2007 02:52 PM

RE: World A-6 Intruder

:DI have started to assemble the A-6 and it seems to be going pretty well. The only problem is with the adjustable stab. The instructions (pictures) are sort of confusing with no text. The rest is simple. Pictures to follow. I intend to set the incidence at zero with the wing and epoxy it in place. I don't like the set-screw method because if it should vibrate loose it could cause flutter. Anyone else putting this thing together your comments would be appreciated. Skip

Skip 02-08-2007 05:39 PM

:D Here's a few shots of the stab assembly

Rebellion 02-08-2007 08:01 PM

Looks good Skip. What are you planning on for power?

Jim_Purcha 02-08-2007 08:28 PM

Let's see some shots of the whole plane. The tail section is just a tease.

Skip 02-08-2007 08:36 PM

:D I will post some pix tomorrow because tonight I am waiting for the 30 minute epoxy to set up. I had a hard time getting the stabs adjusted as per the plans. It seems too loose so I decided to do things the old way. I am doing one stab at a time and setting it at zero with respect to the wing. I added some milled fiberglass and glued the stab in place. Aluminum tubes and all. Tomorrow morning I'll do the other one. That way I know it wont come loose and flutter. : AKA lost plane etc. Adjustable stabs are nice if the engineering is right. I don't think their system is that sturdy. So far I like the plane and will weigh it when I finish. They have stretched the fuse and added more rudder so it should be a good plane for what it was designed for. I've got a well broken in OS 91 four stroke ( SPA Special) Should be a perfect choice.

rrcullman 02-08-2007 09:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a few pix of mine. I am going to try the Magnum 91 engine which should pull this plane fine at 6 lb 14 oz all up weight.
Randy SPA 232

Skip 02-09-2007 08:05 AM

I noticed you used two elevator servos in the rear. How did the c/g work out? Skip

Sport_Pilot 02-09-2007 01:44 PM

I will probably buy one after I get my income tax rebate, but first I need to do the tax's.[>:] I started a thread on this plane in the ARF forum. Thought it might help sell a few. The demand would help keep classic pattern alive.

rrcullman 02-09-2007 03:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Skip, I am only using one elevator servo that drives the bell-crank I installed. The c.g. is on the main wire,about an inch behind their recommended c.g. I did this in order to cut down on tail weight, my old intruder has at least 6 oz. in the tail if not more. I may end up moving the c.g. further aft after I fly it more

Skip 02-10-2007 04:11 PM

[:@] I can see why you chose to put the elevator servo in the rear. I am having a hard time getting the pushrods installed ( no room). I am going to trash my work and start all over because the rudder servo bay which was pre-installed is on the same plane as the elevator servo bay. They conflict!! I am going to saw out the pre-installed bay and make the servos at different heights to solve the problem. It really ticks me off to have this much extra work in an ARF. Skip

Atlanta 60 02-10-2007 08:23 PM

Hello Fellow's...Good Stuff Here...

Mr. rrcullman:
I have a request if you wouldn't mind?? Do you have any pics of your Curare I see in the backround?? If so would you mind posting them??

I like the hardware your using on your Intruder...I've seen that or a similar Bell-crank arrangement advertised by Central Hobbies...I wasn't exactly sure how it functioned...Seeing your photo has cleared that up...Interesting..Thanks

I would like to build myself a SPA ship also...I Really like the Curare's looks...I have a YS .61 that I planned to use for the powerplant...I was looking forward to possibly getting a Glass fuse kit (ie: Cuare/Lepord Thread)...But it looks like that deal has fallen apart...

That Intruder is lookin' pretty Kewl...

Thank You...

Chuck

Tommygun 02-11-2007 10:21 AM

Is there a way to put retracts and a piped two stroke in the A-6? It looks like a fixed gear plane from what I can tell.

Rebellion 02-11-2007 03:11 PM

I was thinking along the same lines myself. How much power do you think this airframe can handle? For example, would it take a piped Jett 90?

rrcullman 02-11-2007 10:22 PM

Sorry the server is not uploading the pix I'll try again tomorrow:-( Randy SPA232

rrcullman 02-11-2007 10:28 PM

Tommygun,this is a fixed gear plane it would have to be modified for retracts and for a pipe. Rebellion,WOW, it would definately be ballistic with a piped 90 up front but I'm sure it would handle it. Randy SPA232

Skip 02-12-2007 02:20 PM

:DPlane is finished. It weighs 7 1/2 pounds on not-so-accurate scale. Will test fly in about a week weather permitting.

rrcullman 02-12-2007 05:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here,s the Curare pix Randy SPA232

Atlanta 60 02-13-2007 07:43 PM

Thank You!! She's Beautiful!!

Chuck

kr9x 02-21-2007 04:43 PM

So Skip..... Does it fly??

Jon
SPA 261

Skip 02-21-2007 07:02 PM

I just got back in town last night. 2/21/07 The wind forecast isn't very good but I will try to fly tomorrow. I will take some digital pix and then report what I think of the plane. Skip

Skip 02-23-2007 06:42 AM

I posted a thread with pix yesterday. I don't know where it disappeared to. Skip

airbusdrvr 02-23-2007 07:05 AM

I agree the pics disappearing is odd. I saw them yesterday afternoon.

ekir 02-24-2007 10:48 AM

I have just started to put together my A-6 Intruder. I have a couple questions.

1. When I removed the plate for the aileron servo in the wing, I noticed the string that will help thread the aileron extension wire. Looking at the wing near the center plywood root rib, I see no exit on the string. When I pull on the end of the string inside of the servo bay, it is tight.
Where do I cut to find the other end of the string?

2. Should the wing be a one or two pc. wing?

Thanks,

Ed

ekir 02-24-2007 11:39 AM

Well guys I want to say that I have found the answer to the post above (#1) on finding the other end of the string. I am laughing at myself.
You can tell I have built to many kits and very few ARF's.

Ed