RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   "Yes Martha, there is a "Santa Claus" (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/6000346-%22yes-martha-there-%22santa-claus%22.html)

RCBuilder42yrs 06-17-2007 09:47 PM

"Yes Martha, there is a "Santa Claus"

1 Attachment(s)
Good Evening my Ballistic Brothers!

Friday was a "Red Letter" day in big beautiful "Boling,TX"! After almost 5 month wait, a very large package arrived and inside was my very own "Leopard"! My adrenalin level finally subsided as I'd taken the fuse from the box, set it up on the table, and began watching it preform all the "ADVANCED" class manuevers. The Jett 90L in the nose was turning up around 18K with an 11 x 9 prop, so we were 'slipping thru the dew" at a very rapid rate!

My temporary lapse into my dream world was suddenly stopped by the phone ringing.

I'm including a picture of the Fuse and a few of the Oldies but Goodies, I happen to find at a LHS this week. So for those who still "think" there isn't a Santa Claus. Please let this photo be your guide, he is alive and recently was seen flying out of Boling,TX in a T2AMK II!

:D

rcflyer1970 06-17-2007 10:55 PM

RE: "Yes Martha, there is a "Santa Claus"

Looks like you'll be busy in the shop for awhile, fuse looks real nice, my NIB VF61 is itching to go in it's new home. I'm at the paint stage on my Phoenix 7, luckily because I'm tired of sanding and priming, your T2A is sweet, maybe a build thread on the Leopard.:D

Atlanta 60 06-18-2007 08:01 AM

That is Beautiful!! Love the engines also!!

Where did you get the Loepard??

I agree...Build thread on the Loepard!!

Have Fun...

Chuck

JCINTEXAS 06-18-2007 09:16 AM

Hi Tony,
Me too....Please, a build thread on the Leopard!!
By way of introduction, I am just getting back into RC after many years away.
I just got my shop ready and am about to put together a Kaos .40 ARF.
I flew AMA Pattern in the 70's and I had a beautiful T2A from Bob Smith. I painted it with the Thunderbirds design and put Snoopy in the front seat and Woodstock in the back. It flew great....but I lost it on the 18th flight. Your T2A from Carolina looks really good. So does the pic of your Leopard fuselage. Is that from Dan in Carolina?
I live in Smithville about 45 miles SE of Austin. Perhaps one day this summer, I could make a trip down your way for some flying.
Regards
John

antique opa 06-18-2007 09:54 AM

I'd like to see the build too. I have a fiberglass dirty birdy to build but I've never set up a fiberglass fuse. Seeing how its done would be a big help.
Mark

RCBuilder42yrs 06-18-2007 07:35 PM

captb:

Yep, I’m on a short rope on 3 different aircraft so your right, plenty of time in the shop or at least all the time I can.

Navav2002:

Where did you get the Leopard??

A very very good friend in Germany helped me get it.:D I'm going to also use the fuse to make a wooden plug for my good buddy over in Carolina. It will be a while before thats done and will have to coordinate with Dan. I'm sure in the future there will be a "Replica" possibly renamed to another member of the feline family.

Chuck, I figured you would like the engines, especially those 2 YS 60’s. (NIB) just sitting on the shelf!;) I was browsing down the counter and spotted the OS-61 VF and simply added it to the pile. Couldn’t pass up those RE engines!

JCINTEXAS:

John, would be more than happy for you to come over and fly with me. Problem is my employer is the “World’s Largest” retailer. They are open 24 hrs and the weekend is just a NO NO to ask off. I have simply adapted to flying on my days off which are always during the week. Good time to practice though most of the time, I have the field to myself!

antique opa:

Mark, I’ll begin making pictures as I start the build on the Leopard. Nice fuse, very light. I opened the box and knew it was a “Polyester” layup. Its been a while since I’ve worked with a Polyester Fuse so I called my man “Dan”(Carolina Aircraft) to refresh my memory on using epoxy’s to glue things to it. You can use epoxy’s on Poly, but you can’t use Poly on epoxy. Just keep that in mind If you ever mess with polyester. This is a bare bones kit, just fuse and cores, so I will have to cut the firewall and any formers which I want to include in the Fuse. So that information just “Myte” be of interest to guys that have never messed with a Glass Fuse.

antique opa 06-18-2007 07:44 PM

Tony, What store # do you work at. I've probley been there many times in my truck. [wallyworld]:D

RCBuilder42yrs 06-18-2007 07:53 PM

OH Man!

R U a "Driver"?

antique opa 06-18-2007 07:54 PM

yup, nb dc.

Deadstik 06-18-2007 10:01 PM

Tony,

Bud, now that's just plain cold to post pics of TWO NIB YS engines plus and OS RF!!!! Fun getting all this stuff together isn't it.. and we'll have to do something about the "leopard"..... you take care... heating up in the shop now...

Dan
Carolina Custom Aircraft

JCINTEXAS 06-19-2007 12:14 AM

["John, would be more than happy for you to come over and fly with me. Problem is my employer is the “World’s Largest” retailer. They are open 24 hrs and the weekend is just a NO NO to ask off. I have simply adapted to flying on my days off which are always during the week. Good time to practice though most of the time, I have the field to myself!"]

Tony,
I don't have an employer...I just retired. So middle of the week is no problem.
Just need to get an airplane ready. I've been converting my shed into a shop and just about got'er done. Hopefully I'll have something ready to fly in a couple of weeks. I admit I'm slow. My flyin buddies from years ago used to tell me that my 5 Minute Epoxy takes an hour and a half.
Question: I'm considering getting an engine from Dub Jett. Which one is your favorite for pattern?
Regards
JC

RCBuilder42yrs 06-19-2007 04:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Question: I'm considering getting an engine from Dub Jett. Which one is your favorite for pattern?
Regards
JC

John,

If you have just the slightest amount of..."the need for speed" and you want a real work horse.... pictured below is my personal choice(Jett 90L). I want to warn you though, getting just one Jett engine, is like trying to eat one peanut! Once you've indulged in forbidden fruit, you will have to have more! ! !
;)

This was my first "Taste" of the forbidden fruit and I posted pictures of it in a different thread. I had it about a week and ordered the second 90L and I bought a 60LX for my .40 sized Curare. If you have an appreciation for a fine engine, call Dub.

BTW- if you don't know Dub's 90L fits in the same mount as an OS, so that makes it even nicer.
[sm=shades_smile.gif]

rainedave 06-19-2007 08:51 PM

Tony I'm so jealous I'm never going to make another rib set for you! Har! Just kidding.:D But you do seem to be amassing an incredible collection of kits and engines. You don't have an oil well in your backyard, do you?

David

RCBuilder42yrs 06-20-2007 09:21 PM

You don't have an oil well in your backyard, do you?

David

Nawp,

Just began lusting after some of the many things that I had to sell a few years back, and I am simply trying to rebuild as they become available Dave.

Man you scared me, about the Rib sets...You've become apart of the Boling builders engineer. Whew!!! ;)

[sm=shades_smile.gif]