RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   Taking Orders For Hanno Piston/Liner Sets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/7266992-taking-orders-hanno-piston-liner-sets.html)

Aurora_60 03-22-2008 08:17 PM

Taking Orders For Hanno Piston/Liner Sets

Well we're going to try this one more time. Shadel is too busy with other interest, so I am trying to make this happen with Henry Nelson. Now I have been informed by 8178 that the first run of these parts were made by Nelson and Dave Shadel was an acting retailer. So the quality will be top notch. If you are into this hobby enogh to own and maintain an OS Hanno, you should be quite aware of the reputation Mr. Nelson has with his work. It is, IMHO, second to none.

So I'm going to have to take a list of "serious" people who want a set. I have heard rumors that one reason why Shadel is not considering a third run of these sets is the hassel he had with either selling or collecting from the list of buyers. So Please be serious about this and how many sets you plan to pay for.

The last two runs were 50 sets. I beleive they sold for about $120? I'm not sure on the price, but I imagine it would be around that neighborhood.

Once we get enough people involved, or if we can get enough, I'll send the information over to Mr. Nelson to see if we as a group can persuade him into this.

So start posting in and I will try my hardest to keep up with the demand (I know there's alot of you guys out there looking for these) and I am quite busy in the daytime trying to earn the money for this hobby at... work. [:'(] Maybe I can talk NavNav into helping me a little, since he is the one to get Me interested in these engines! :)

DM

While talikng to Roguedog last night, he reminded me that the price of the last run was $95/set. Big difference! Sorry for the mistake. Hopefully that will be the same here. It depends on Mr. Nelson.
I want everyone to know that I dont plan to make any money off this. I just want to get my engines up and running as do you I'm sure.
When any money needs to be paid, each one of us will send our payment directly to Henry Nelson. I will send him our list, after I confirm the quantity with everyone involved.

Atlanta 60 03-22-2008 08:42 PM

RE: Taking Orders For Hanno Piston/Liner Sets

How many I want -vs- how many I can afford... :eek:

2) RF sets (Or I can use Hanno if necessary)

2) YS AR sets (If we can finagle them in??)

Maybe more if I can swing it...But that would be my "Fur Sure" list...

How's about it fellows??

Aurora_60 03-22-2008 09:07 PM

LOL!!
I would love to say, "just run the whole 50 and send me the bill!"
I am up for four (4) sets for the Hanno, two (2) for the YS AR.

DM

Fxrs_tim 03-22-2008 10:44 PM

I'm in for one more. I might spring for a second set too.

Jeff Worsham 03-22-2008 11:01 PM

Wow- I hope this works! The last run were $90 each from Mr Shadel. I would commit to 2 sets for the Hanno Special, hopefully AAC as before. Might comit to an SF and RF, but will have to check on these. Thank you! Jeff

Roguedog 03-22-2008 11:25 PM

Like Navav2002, I want more than I can afford as well.

But I will take 2 of the RF or Hanno versions.

Bryan

aerowoof 03-23-2008 08:48 AM

put me down for 1 hanno

nxtdoor 03-23-2008 09:29 AM

I will take two sets for the RF or Hanno; doesn't make a difference does it? Think they fit the same, just porting is a little different.

Jeff

nxtdoor 03-23-2008 09:39 AM

I think we should be willing to pay in advance for the liners we commit too. I am.

Jeff

Aurora_60 03-23-2008 02:20 PM

ORIGINAL: nxtdoor

I think we should be willing to pay in advance for the liners we commit too. I am.

Jeff
I think we would have to put up a deposit when and IF this does happen. If this does happen, I'll send Henry Nelson our list and each one of us can send Him our deposit.

I was talking to Bryan (Roguedog) last night and said the price was more like %95/set. That does sound more like it. I'll edit my first post.

DM

flywilly 03-23-2008 04:59 PM

Three (3) sets of Hannos, but I'll go for at least 4 if we can't get a run of YS AR parts

Two (2) sets of YS AR piston/sleeves

THANKS for getting this going AURORA 60

T Brooks 03-23-2008 05:56 PM

Hello

Assuming that Performance Specialties is out of stock you can put me down for three sets for the RF. Always need a spare!

By my adding up of the above posts I get 20 sets for the Hanno and 6 for the YS AR.

I am prepared to pay a deposit or the whole lot to ensure this goes ahead.

Cheers
Tarquin

Aurora_60 03-23-2008 07:27 PM

They are adding up as I'm sure alot of folks figured. These engines were never really cheap. Boca will pretty much always have quality bearings available, but these piston/liner sets, there another story.
Hopefully in a week or two we'll have enough people interested in the Hanno to negotiate with Henry. The YS sets, I think, will take a little longer to reach our 50 product count.

KEEP 'UM COMMING IN!!!

DM

LaCerne 03-24-2008 01:04 PM

I tried to get an AAC set for the Hanno last time, but he was out and offered the RF. I would like 1 AAC Hanno set.

Larsen

Troy Newman 03-24-2008 01:08 PM

I'd do (2) YS 61AR sets

Troy Newman

Nathan King 03-24-2008 04:05 PM

I've got to check funds since I just had my grand piano tuned. [:o]
I'll get back to you soon.

flywilly 03-24-2008 04:47 PM

I hope you use an electric starter, Nathan!!! I haven't played in years, but my dad still plays and flies R/C as well. My dad is lucky enough to have a Steinway baby grand sitting in his living room (he bought it in the early '60s when they were still 'affordable'). Yup, having it tuned is an expensive proposition... but you wouldn't run a Hanno with a worn out liner...;). Does work interfere with your 'hobbies', Nathan?? :):)
-Will

Nathan King 03-24-2008 09:19 PM

ORIGINAL: flywilly

I hope you use an electric starter, Nathan!!! I haven't played in years, but my dad still plays and flies R/C as well. My dad is lucky enough to have a Steinway baby grand sitting in his living room (he bought it in the early '60s when they were still 'affordable'). Yup, having it tuned is an expensive proposition... but you wouldn't run a Hanno with a worn out liner...;). Does work interfere with your 'hobbies', Nathan?? :):)
-Will
Okay, I'm in for one liner!

Yes, I use an electric starter... except sometimes for my J-5 Cub which has an old four stroke that I couldn't get to bite me if I tried (not that I try). I could never afford a Steinway. I have played many Steinways (a couple of 9 footers in concert and countless six to eight foot models) but have only really thought a few were truly superior instruments compared to those of other leading manufacturers. Of course, they are very nice instruments. I tend to prefer a piano with a stronger, more pronounced fundamental frequency.

Aurora_60 03-24-2008 11:53 PM

I figured, since your a BPA guy Nathan, You would have a PIPED Organ!! ha..ha.. :)
ok, ok that was pretty bad I know :eek:

DM

Aurora_60 03-25-2008 11:21 PM

I thought that I should share this email from Henry Nelson to you all.
Dang Good News!! [X(]:D:)

Re: Liners and pistons‏
Sent: Tue 3/25/08 4:22 PM
Reply-to: Henry Nelson ([email protected])
To: d Miller ([email protected])

I did make some Hannos for Performance Specialties, but I believe they're all gone. I can do another run of them, but I am always hesitant about making parts for obsolete engines. Also, things like crankshafts start to wear out too.
A run of 50 sets is the minimum.
Henry Nelson
----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2008 7:53 PM
Subject: Liners and pistons

Mr. Nelson,
I am part of a growing community interested in the classic pattern style airplanes from the 1970s and 1980s. As I said we are a "growing" community and are challenged by the resources that are available. One problem we have is finding Quality parts for our old engines. Particularly the OS 61 Hanno Special that had a ABN piston/liner set. These older engines are fetching a good deal in auctions, around $400 on up, and having a P/L set would be very crucial for our group. I believe this might be of interest for you as this is a growing market that, at this time has no one to provide us with a product. I would assume that a certain number of these would have to be made to make this worth while for you. If you let us know what that number is, maybe we can all help each other out.

Respectfully,
David Miller

Aurora_60 03-25-2008 11:47 PM

Here's the list that I have so far:

navav 2

Fxrs 1

Jeff 2

Roguedog 2

Aerowoof 1

nxtdoor 2

FlyWilly 3

Larsen 1

Nathan 1

TBrooks 3

2001az 2

Mark A. 2

Mercura 2

Frugalme 3

dhal22 1

BeauMiller 2

Please just post here then we can just add them up on this one venue.

I'm not fogetting the YS 61AR. So keep posting those too!
I think that the Hannos are in more demand and therefore will full up the 50 count that we need.
once we have the YS.. well we'll get them too!!
LONG LIVE CLASSIC PATTERN!

DM

T Brooks 03-26-2008 03:00 AM

Hello Aurora 60

Sorry for the confusion I meant 3 Hanno style. I only said RF to indicate the OS one and not the YS-AR style.

Only one will be going into my RF-P the other into a Hanno and the last one a spare.

Cheers
Tarquin

2001az 03-26-2008 02:17 PM

I have 3 RF and 1 Hanno, but never need to change liner or piston. How often this parts brake? I run my engines with max 5% nitro 20% oil and never too lean.

Tower doesn't have this parts available?

Regards,
Arturo

Atlanta 60 03-26-2008 04:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: 2001az

I have 3 RF and 1 Hanno, but never need to change liner or piston. How often this parts brake? I run my engines with max 5% nitro 20% oil and never too lean.

Tower doesn't have this parts available?

Regards,
Arturo
No...Tower does not have the OEM parts available...Nor does OS have any spares...I'd imagine it's possible there could be a small hobby shop who has a couple sitting on the shelve?? I dunno...

These era engines had a potential problem with the ABN liners peeling (see photo)...I have 6 engines and three of my liners are bad...

The Shadel Piston Liners are not ABN like the factory liners were...They are AAC...They are lighter and more durable than the OS Factory ABN set-up's...Plus they use some different porting which adds performance over the stock arrangement..

grcourtney 03-26-2008 08:55 PM

HOW MUCH $$$ FOR A SET?
GARY