RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   Mystic Plans (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/8391749-mystic-plans.html)

doxilia 01-23-2009 12:07 PM

Mystic Plans

Does anyone have a plans source for Hanno's '93 WC winner - the Mystic?

I believe it was kitted in sizes ranging from 30 to 120 by EZ/OK Models. I don't know if those kits (ARF's) came with plans.

Finally, was an article/plans of the Mystic ever published?

Thanks, David.

Ram Jet 01-23-2009 12:53 PM

RE: Mystic Plans

Check out Hobby Lobby and Donuts Models Mystic - $87.00.

Bill

alcarafa 01-23-2009 01:22 PM

BILL DO YOU HAVE THE LINK TO DONUTS MODELS ? TXS.

Erik Johansson 01-23-2009 01:25 PM

The only similarity is the name.

/Erik

doxilia 01-23-2009 01:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Bill,

although QQ seems to be able to win tournaments with that sort of biplane, I'm not sure Hanno would have been that impressed with it! :D

We're talking about a World Championship pattern aircraft here... [8D]

David.

P.S. Here are some pics for inspiration. I'm not sure what the Mystic BGX project was about but I'd guess it was a version built around the OS BGX 2.1 cu in (35cc) engine. Must have been a 2m bird.

flywilly 01-23-2009 04:20 PM

I have the plans for the Mystic 30 (wood kit). I don't think the EZ versions had full sized plans included. The Mystic was never published in the USA, but maybe in Europe. Prettner designed at least one more pattern design after the Mystic - the Sensation which was kitted in various sizes by Yoshioka. Unfortunately, it is out of production and I don't think it was ever imported into the USA. Anybody have one (a Sensation)??
-Will

Jon Wold 01-23-2009 04:55 PM

I have the Kyosho Sensation 40 ARF (like many others obviously) but I think Yoshioka still sell the 90 and 2000 version. Pricey but I believe they are ARC's.

doxilia 01-23-2009 09:14 PM

ORIGINAL: flywilly

I have the plans for the Mystic 30 (wood kit). I don't think the EZ versions had full sized plans included. The Mystic was never published in the USA, but maybe in Europe. Prettner designed at least one more pattern design after the Mystic - the Sensation which was kitted in various sizes by Yoshioka. Unfortunately, it is out of production and I don't think it was ever imported into the USA. Anybody have one (a Sensation)??
-Will
Will,

Could I bother you with a couple of photos of your plans?

If it's not too much trouble, perhaps I'll ask you for a copy and send you some $ along with the piston/liners as soon as I can.

Many thanks, David.

ehsanmorshedi 04-03-2013 04:58 AM

hi every body would u mind helpin g me with my problem. I wanna know the wing airfoil frofile,the incidence and the engine thrust angle of the mystic 30 or 60.
thanks every body

doxilia 04-03-2013 06:54 AM

What are you building a 30 or 60? Settings are different.

David

ehsanmorshedi 04-03-2013 08:10 AM

in fact im trying to build a mystic powered with a MVVS 49 rotated to rear exhaust and i searched the web for the plans. nothing was found except a 3-view which is enough for me while i have made many planes this way before.
    Thanks David
      Ehsan

doxilia 04-03-2013 08:38 AM

Ehsan,

And just to be sure, we are talking about the Hanno Prettner design and world champion Mystic?

Are you thinking of running the MVVS 49 inverted with a pipe?

What are the specifications you are aiming for (span, length, area)?

I might be able to help with your questions after work.

David

ehsanmorshedi 04-03-2013 09:42 AM

Thanks Dave
Yes i will use the engine inverted with a pipe and I've decided for a wing span of 140 cm wich is about 56 inches. the span on the 3- view is 16.5 cm so every dimensions must be multiplied by 8.48 (140/16.5) so :
its lenght will be approximately 119cm (47.5 inches)
I guess it must weight in a range of 2300 to 2600 grams (5 to 5.7 Lbs)
the problem is the convexity of the turtle deck (its former profile) which could be solved by taking a look at many pics of mystic from different views available on the web, and trying to draw 2 formers close to real shape to cut a veneered foam turtle deck , ignoring the turtle deck convexity on the sides.

ehsanmorshedi 04-03-2013 09:50 AM

Sorry , I meant thanks David

doxilia 04-03-2013 10:02 AM

Ehsan,

If I may make a suggestion, I'd go with a scaling factor of 9 from your 3-view. The MVVS 49 on a pipe will more than carry the slightly larger size. The additional airframe weight won't be significant. With that scaling factor you'd have a span of 148.5 cm or 58.5". That said, I haven't checked the elevation of Tehran so that may be a factor.

Hanno's Mystic 60 had longer moments than the 30 and 45 OK Model versions (both kit and ARF). Given you are building a medium size classic you might want to use those moments rather than the shorter coupled 30/45 specs. I'm not sure what the source of your 3-view is but if you post it, we might be able to assess what it'd source is. I've only seen one 3-view and it was drawn up by a forum member based on pictures of Hanno's 1993 model which is quite rare.

If you want to build it all in wood, the formers aren't a problem. I can explain that later. Naturally, the same technique would be used to draw the foam deck template formers.

David

ehsanmorshedi 04-03-2013 10:24 AM

David,
You are true, my 3- view is the only 3-view available on the web which U spoke about it. I don,t know why, but we always have the problem of engine power in Tehran. Me and most of my friends use a slightly more powerful engine on our planes than the ones recomended from the manufacturer. for instance I initially used an OS AX 55 on my spot on 50 but it was powerless in multiple manuveres specially in climbings for square loops with options and now i use a .60 FX. and works like a tractor.
or my new era with .25 OS LA weighing 1400grams (3 lbs) still flys boring. anyway sorry for bothering u at work and looking for your advice about the mystifying Mystic.</p>

doxilia 04-03-2013 10:36 AM

~1200m elevation. Should turn your 48 into a 40 equivalent or so, maybe a little more. Will you be running FAI or 5% fuel?

Built light the model with a scaling factor of 9 could come in at 5 lbs or slightly more with retracts.

David

doxilia 04-03-2013 10:42 AM

Put a 40 LA in your New Era 3 (20) or better yet a 32F or 32 SX. It will become a little bullet!

David

ehsanmorshedi 04-03-2013 10:55 AM

David,
 I use 5% and sometimes 10 % nitro fuel.
so the scaling factor would be 9 .
but the problem still exist: the airfoil and the thrust angle and wing incidense.
thanks for your mention
Ehsan</p>

doxilia 04-03-2013 11:34 AM

Ehsan,

Too much nitro in MVVS engines and they become dogs. Use 5% max if needed and it gives you a little extra boost. Also try using an APC 10x7 or 11x6 if you're using other brand props.

I'll get back to you later with some info on airfoil, incidence and thrust.

David

ehsanmorshedi 04-03-2013 11:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a tiny kwik flyI constructed, againfrom a triple view of its original .60 size published in Graupner 1987 annual.
span 100 cm
weight 950 grams approx 2 lbs.
engine .15 OSFP
in the memory of P. Kraft

R_G 04-03-2013 05:07 PM

That Kwik FLi is very cool! ;) How does it fly?

RG

ehsanmorshedi 04-03-2013 10:54 PM

Ralph,
Thanks, it flys well and also is my fixed friend in all of my travels around the country, feeding it up with 10% nitro and you will see a bullet shot from the gun. on the other hand lands as slow as a glider and even with some chance for a mild front wind u can run some meters with the nose wheel not touching the ground after landing.
Ehsan

rgburrill 04-04-2013 04:41 AM

AMA has plans for a 63 inch Mystic.  Yuo might call them to see if it is the right one.
Taking photos of someone's plan is likely a copyright violation. [:@]

doxilia 04-04-2013 05:43 AM

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

AMA has plans for a 63 inch Mystic. Yuo might call them to see if it is the right one.
Taking photos of someone's plan is likely a copyright violation. [:@]
I doubt the AMA has a copy of Hanno's Mystic 60. If they do, we've hit the jackpot! Apparently Hanno's latest WC 60 size design was never published as a plan. Select ARF's and a 30 size kit was however made of his design.

I also doubt taking photo's presents a copyright violation. Photo's are pretty useless when it comes to factors that would affect copyright unless they represent the equivalent of a scan. That said, Hanno would likely be nothing but honored if a small handful of folks were making an effort to re-create his last classic.

Nothing personal rgburrill (Roger?), just my view on things.

David