RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   Progression of MK Kits (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/9071112-progression-mk-kits.html)

Aurora_60 09-05-2009 01:50 AM

Progression of MK Kits

I'm always wondering what is the order in which the MK line evolved. I know there are a lot of MK fans out there with a lot of experience building these planes. Can you guys give some input on the subject? please..

Come to think of it. Kato worked with a lot of pilots back then. Wolfgang Matt, Yoshioka, and some guy named Prettner or something :D. Did any other designs branch off the MK line, or vice versa?

DM

Aurora_60 09-05-2009 01:55 AM

RE: Progression of MK Kits

Sorry,
I think saying Branched off is a little vague. I guess all designs evolve with other designs. I'm thinking more in the lines of the Curare to the Magic and the Cosmos to the Aurora. Same planes, just little improvements.

DM

dhal22 09-05-2009 06:48 AM

this is an excellent idea. i know that there are catalogs for sale occasionally on ebay. that would help i think.

flywilly 09-05-2009 09:56 PM

OK, this is off the top of my head:
Blue Angel, Fuji, Atlas, Curare, Arrow, Magic, Cosmos, Aurora, Joker, Beetle, Silent ST, Wild 7, Kingbird, Wild Beat, Wild Beat 90, Wild Beat 777, Blue Angel VR, SUper VR-90, Extra 300, Alliance, 3D Dancer, Skystar 90, Topstar, Synergy, Topstar II, Topstar 110, Topstar II Electric
At about the same time as the Aurora, Joker, etc.; MK also released their semi-scale FAI designs: ZLin, Spinks, Laser, Chipmunk. The last in the series was the slightly larger Super Chipmunk released a few years later (late '80s). Actually, MK also released a '90' sized version of the Extra 300 (designed by Quique Somenzini) around 1999.
MK re-released the Blue Angel 60 and Curare 60 around 2001, followed by the Blue Angel 40 around 2005.
I'll have to research the accuracy of this list, but I think it is pretty close (I omitted all smaller versions <25-45 sized> )

Aurora_60 09-06-2009 12:25 AM

Thanks FlyWilly!!

OK, from the begining, the list is:

Blue Angel
Fuji
Atlas
Curare
Arrow to Granet by Wolfgang Matt
Magic
Skymaster
Cosmos
Aurora copy PA-II by Larry Phillips
Joker
Beetle
Silent ST
Wild7
Kingbird
Wild Beat
Wild Beat 90
Wild Beat 777
Blue Angel VR
Super VR 90
Extra 300
Alliance
3D Dancer
Sky Star 90
Topstar
Synergy
Topstar II
Topstar 110
Topstar II Elect.

Wow, thats a lot more than I was thinking of.

So what other designs came before the Blue Angel??

DM

Atlanta 60 09-06-2009 01:31 AM

So where did the Skymaster fit into the progression?? I kinda figured it was in the Cosmos and Aurora range but wasn't sure...

Thanks...

Chuck

flywilly 09-06-2009 05:28 PM

Skymaster immediately follows the Magic (I can't believe I forgot that one...:eek:)
The Blue Angel VR is actually the Blue Angel VR-7. It was succeeded by the Blue Angel Super VR-7.
MK also kitted a few scale models (including the Spirit of ST Louis and several Japanese fighters).
MK also kitted the Magic in a fiberglass fuselage version, though I don't believe it was ever imported into the USA.
FK produced several glass/foam knock-offs of MK kits (including the Arrow, Curare and Blue Angel - they used other names as they were unauthorized)
Quality Line produced 'authorized' kits of the Arrow, Curare and Magic as well as their modified verions: the Super Arrow (a stretched version of the Arrow) and Super Curare.
Wolfgang Matt designed a successor to the Arrow called the Granat which was a slightly larger version of the Arrow (maybe some other subtle modifications), but the radical change to Aresti style aerobatics resulted in the Joker.
The Aurora was also kitted (as a knock-off) by Larry Phillips who called it the PA-II - it was a VERY popular glass/foam kit.
Anybody know if MK is going to produce kits again?????

flywilly 09-06-2009 05:31 PM

MK also produced ARC versions of the original 4 semi-scale pattern designs and the Blue Angel VR-7 and Blue Angel SUper VR-7.

dhal22 09-06-2009 05:43 PM

i would like to build one of each. [sm=tongue_smile.gif]

ferio 09-06-2009 07:01 PM

How I wish MK would make another production of those kits ;)

Gerard

Aurora_60 09-06-2009 07:28 PM

That would be the news of the decade for me. Could you imagine what Xmas would be like for all the members of the Classic Forum? [X(]

I've been checking out our old threads from about 4 years ago. There has been quite some changes. a lot more questions are being answered...correctly, and there now is a larger following of the planes. I can image that the SPA and theBPA has also grown and I'm sure the contest are also. Who knows.. Will says that MK did it before, with the re-kitting of the BA and Curare in 2001. To tell the truth, In 2001 I couldn't identify a BA if I tried. Hopefully the word is being passed about the attraction the old kits and the growing number of people flying them again.

DM

dhal22 09-06-2009 10:47 PM

i would buy one of each at least. and then 2-3 of most of the kits. just to build and collect.

Aurora_60 09-07-2009 12:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok here is the main reason why I wanted to start this thread.

I have had this VERY old MK kit. Roguedog has been doing some work to the plans I sent him a couple years ago. Planning on a complete cut file to re kit this for us. I have the full kit, but I would imagine the kit is older than I am and I really dont want to end this plane.
It's a Thunder Bird MKII, so there is and older version somewhere around. Searching on the net only lead me back to my own posts.

The markings on the plans are pretty light and they don't come up very well with my cheap digital, sorry. THe plans are Blue lines not the printed style that most other kits are, so I supose there wasnt very many produced. THe box has no art work on it. Just plain cardboard.

A while back someone chimed in and said they remember Kato flying a T-Bird in the early 60s. No one else said anything about it and I dont remember who made the comment.

Either way their will be at least 2 of these flying again maybe sometime next year. One for me and one for Bryan. :D It would be extra special to know the history of the planes though, so please help me [sm=what_smile.gif]

DM

Aurora_60 09-07-2009 12:18 AM

I have the plans scanned but I cant get it to attatch. Its a lot better quality..You can actually see it!
You can email me if you wish, I'll send a copy to you.

FlyWilly, Would you mind if I sent you scanned copy of the plans? You seem to be quite knowledgable on the matter.

DM

pimmnz 09-07-2009 03:47 AM

Kato was flying an Orion clone back at the 1962 world champs, he called it Thunderchief back then. (RCM&E October 1962). TBird 2 looks very much like a development of that early model. There was, I think, an early Kato kit called 'Super Hunter', a trike Orion modification, something to look for. In one of the American mags there is a nice intro to the Blue Angel where Kato explains the development of the model, inspired by watching the 'Blue Angels' aerobatic team, hence the swept wing/tailpipe thing that the Angel originally had. Someone will have a copy to hand.
Evan, WB #12.

Aurora_60 09-07-2009 04:00 AM

THanks Evan!!
That is some great info! Unfortunately I haven't been looking for any early 60s mags yet. I have a couple, and I may be getting a small lot of some that I don't know the years yet, but at least its getting a little narrowed down. I really like the 80s styles, but this plane has really taken to me.

Would you know, or have an idea, what Kato would be running for power at the time?

DM

flywilly 09-07-2009 07:33 PM

Hi Aurora 60,
I'd love to see a copy of the plans. MK kitted the Thunderbird 40 for many years (I have a kit) which looks like it is a smaller version. I will dig out my Fuji (60 size from very early '70s) and Thunderbird 40 to compare to your plans.
The other question to ask is when did MK start kitting pattern ships? MRC was the first US importer of MK kits (that I know of). Model Airplane News reviewed the MK Blue Angel kit back in '74 I think (the Enya 60 with YS pump<regulator> and Carb were used for power - same set up as Yoshioka).
Regards,
Will

flywilly 09-07-2009 08:32 PM

Hi Aurora 60,
I have the answer: MK kitted the Thunderbird MK-II
Recently (within the past 3 years) I acquired an MK Zero kit (40 sized) which was kitted in the early '70s. In addition to plans, the kit also contained a product brochure (unfortunately, neither the plans nor the brochure were dated). 23 kits were displayed: 3 were of the 'Champion' type with the seamless plastic fuselage; the remaining 20 kits were all balsa, but only 5 were pattern type aircraft - Thunderbird MK-II 60, Blue Angel 60 (winner of the 1970 Japanese nationals), Fuji 60 (winner of the 1971 Japanese Nationals - looks a lot like the Patricia), Thunderbird MK-II jr. (40 size), Blue Angel jr. (40 size). The next pattern kit kit that I know MK kitted was the Atlas, however, I believe it is possible that there may have been 1 or 2 other pattern kits in the '72 - '75 era.
DHal - It would be FANTASTIC if MK ran one more production run of all their kits - don't hold your breath[X(] The prices would be a bit more expensive (especially if they included all the hardware and tank like the pre-2000 kits), but well worth the cost. Maybe if we all sent an email to Kato sr. ;)
-Will

Roary m 09-07-2009 11:11 PM

I know this question has been asked but I guess I'll step in it again; why the mystique around the Aurora? Is he just a really nice ship or just hype?

dhal22 09-07-2009 11:14 PM

Aurora, Atlanta, Blue Angel, just some of the more beautiful planes that are fairly rare i think.

pimmnz 09-08-2009 03:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
As for what Kato was using for power at the '62 World Champs, I don't know. My RCM&E says that full details will be in next months (November 1962) issue, and I ain't got one. If Ray passes by (RFJ) he prolly has it and can answer the question, meanwhile...
Evan, WB #12.

RFJ 09-08-2009 03:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
These are Mr Kato's model details from the November 1962 RCM&E. The first three numbers are span (in), area (sq in) and weight (oz)

Ad is from the January 1970 issue of the Japanese magazine Radio Control Technique and shows a Thunderbird 60.

Ray

Aurora_60 09-08-2009 04:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Roary m

I know this question has been asked but I guess I'll step in it again; why the mystique around the Aurora? Is he just a really nice ship or just hype?
For me The Aurora has everything that I want in a model. I really like all the angles for the plane and they way everything blends together. I guess everyone has their reasons why they would like the plane. For me, I have always loved the sound of piped 2 strokes and watching a sleek plane screaming by. THat would just make it impossible for me not to like such a plane.

DM

Aurora_60 09-08-2009 04:54 AM

THAT IS THE PLANE RFJ!!!

WoW! What a find. I never thought I would see an ad for the plane! THat is it though. I'll have to look closer and see what the MKII differences are, but they don't look like very many at first glance.

And to top it off a pic with a Very young Kato with maybe his first(?) kit? So if the T-Bird is dated around 1970 and the T-Chief in 1962, what did he have in the 8 or so years in between? It would be nice to get a set of planes for a T-Chief.

I still cant get over the pic of the T-bird. The box or the plans has no finished pics of one. This is the first time I've got see one! Thanks Again. Really cant wait to get a couple going!

DM

Aurora_60 09-08-2009 05:15 AM

OK...
That is a lot of info to take in Will. Wow. "I have the answer: MK kitted the Thunderbird MK-II Recently (within the past 3 years)" So your talking like, 2006? Or did they re-release the T-Bird? That would really good news if they did. Considering the T-Bird isn't at all very popular.
It is a lovely dream to consider that the line would be brought back again, But it does look like these planes are making a definate come back, I'm sure you guys here played a large part in that. ;)

DM