RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   Scoop! Hangar 9 Phoenix 7...ARF!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/9127034-scoop-hangar-9-phoenix-7-arf.html)

edp 07-03-2013 10:49 AM

RE: Scoop! Hangar 9 Phoenix 7...ARF!!!

Just got back from the field.
Weather 85 degrees w/ 80% humidity. I'll be glad when this weather pattern breaks. On the plane, 11940 RPM (still new) but unloaded in the air. I was able to play w/ the mix to see the needle reaction in the air. I was able to lean it down in the air. I then landed and checked the RPMs. On the ground I picked up 200 RPM so I set the in-flight back to center and leaned the needle down to 12190. Flew two more flights at that setting. Total engine run time 58 minutes. I was able to do inside outside vertical eights w/o any hiccups. I pulled several outside loops and inverted passes w/o problems plus hard vertical push ups. We were able to get the tank down a 1/4" to 1/2" lower by removing some foam.
I'm waiting for cooler temps and lower humidity to get better numbers. The engine is breaking in nicely. Same set-up of Wildcat 15% and 20% oil with stock plug and APC 11x7.

Timthetoolman1 07-03-2013 11:49 AM

Good to hear, I think I'll order the 60CR and play around with it.

I've found comparing numbers of prop RPMs to actual flight is different. The APC 11x7 on 10% worked better in flight than the 12x6 APC/Scimitar or the 12x8 Scimitar on the OS 55. I'll change to the Jett muffler later and see how it runs. If I start having reliability issues I'll drop that engine for something else.

I have a small gap between the spinner and the nose ring on the left side but pulling level to vertical it's really arcing to the left so I'm going to put more right thrust in it and try it again.

Tim

Timthetoolman1 07-06-2013 09:59 AM

Weight:
Right now I'm at 7 lbs 6 oz because of the tip and tail weight (2 oz). I've added 3/4 oz to the tail, 1 oz to the left wing tip and I still need another 1/4 oz on the tail (they are stick on weights for now). My weight and balance calculations tell me I can put the battery under the servos and remove the tail weight (Boring Alert!!! Tail = 1 oz @ 800mm=800 moments. Battery 3.3 oz @ 215mm = 710 moments therefore 90 moments difference so 90 moments/3.3 oz is about 27mm in front of the CG. So I'll put the battery about an inch in front of the CG and get rid of the 1 oz tail weight.).

As I said before, the nose ring is messed up on the fuselage. I mounted the engine per the nose ring/spinner and it had a significant left thrust. I thought I adjusted it out but during the up lines it pitches quickly to the left. I was told this was supposed to be corrected with right rudder which I disagree with because the angle of attack is parallel to the flight path.
The motor mount won't allow it to be adjusted any more so the spinner is already hanging off the right side of the nose. I also installed the nose wheel gear backwards [:@] so today I'm thinking of taking the engine and nose gear out, remove the rails and sub former for the retract unit and use the Dubro stock gear to mount it to the backside of the firewall. I wouldn't recommend this unless you've really secured the firewall with some composites. I used a ring of carbon tow followed by some fiberglass. Then I'll fill the stock slots in the firewall and move the whole engine mount over about 1/8".

The rail and steering modifications are because I'm going to keep this plane set up for SPA. I'll probably set up a Vertigo with retracts and pipe later so don't scoff at me for ripping the rails out...hehehe! :D

Ed, I'll probably set the DB up with the NR 60CR which was set up for this OS 55 so I'm curious about the mounting dimensions. I haven't found any dimensions on the sites yet.
How is it running with the remote needle valve? OS has made me leery of the remote setup. Once it's tuned out I'd like to know about the vertical performance too because I had more RPM from some of the 12" Scimitars but when I switched to the APC 11x7, even though it had less RPMs, it was pulling stronger in the verticals. It's broken in now so I'll start to adjust the needles and try the prop combos again.

At this point I am real happy with the plane after I balanced it out a bit and got more thrust. It flies really smooth and I'm looking forward to the final product. I can see why Robert likes the Vertigo now.

Tim

edp 07-06-2013 10:12 AM

Tim
I have tried to fly this past week but the weather will not cooperate. I pulled into a loop and into a cloud. It is still 75-80 degrees w/ 80+% humidity. Today the engine ran lean after take off so I was able to richen it up w/ the mix. This is a nice feature.
I will buy another for the P-6.

Timthetoolman1 07-08-2013 08:08 PM

I found the problem...stabs (operator error)! My wife was hurrying me and said 'go, go, go, you can have this ready for this weekends meet' (ok, maybe it's not all her fault) and even against those constant voices in my head telling me to put the P7 away till after the meet I forged ahead and ASSumed the stab would key themselves in the right location but I was wrong and now the left stab is at least 1.5 degrees positive. I don't know if the keys are messed up or if there was a compound error going on (gluing one at the top of the key and the other at the bottom if there was slop).
My solutions are:
1. Cut of the stabs with a coping saw and order new ones and install them right
2. Cut off just the right one and try to get it to glue back on but it will probably separate.
3. Cut both stabs off and make a 1 piece stab that runs through the fuselage.
I like option 3 the best. Does anyone have the P7 stab profiles?
I have till September 7 to get this fixed or wait till after October when our season ends. I may live with the problem for now because it seems I've tuned the flight surfaces to get predictable results but it's bugging me! [>:]

The other problem I found, and it's minor, is that when I measured from the vertical stab to the wing tip the left one is 11mm closer than the right one; however, the wing is in the saddle with equal amounts of wing on each side of the fuselage.

The OS 55 is now broken in and runs much better. I removed the 4 oz tank, moved the 6 oz to sit just above the wing saddle and I get no more runaway fuel problems. The OS is running smooth and the Macs pipe is doing great. I don't have unlimited vertical but I have to pull power to get it from going too high on stall turns. I think the target weight of the OS 55 with the Macs is 6.5 lbs dry...best guess. I'll remove the front gear mounts like I mentioned and get a new weight.

Right now (moved battery under servo tray, removed tail weights) I'm at 7 lbs 4 oz. I'm hoping removing the wood will get me in the 7 lb range still.

edp 07-19-2013 01:23 PM

If anyone is still wanting one, my LHS still has one on the shelf. I'm sure they will ship. PM me and I will give you the phone number. I think my brother in-law and myself bought the other two and that's it. They also have a DB in stock.

edp 07-19-2013 01:51 PM

Well, that was fast. Paul got it.

318scott 07-19-2013 04:15 PM

I have 2 and would sell both also have OS 75 with MAC header and pipe also Eflite retracts. wont get around to them, flyin 2 meter stuff.

dhal22 07-20-2013 06:11 AM

318scott, PM sent.