RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   curare restoration (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/9530077-curare-restoration.html)

chrisseawright 02-23-2010 08:06 PM

curare restoration

1 Attachment(s)
hello everyone I am going to try to restore this old pattern plane to former glory it is a curare that I bought at the perry ga sale last year It had the motor and all servos on it for 60 bucks so couldnt pass it up the guy said he knew nothing about the plane just wanted to sell it. We brought it home put in a new battery and fuel and fired it up and flew it the rest of the day with no problems at all. It had a rossi 61 on it and it flew well but the motor was worn out so I replaced it with an os 61 and also put in a new receiver and have flown it many times for the past year and it flies like a dream but would like to make it a beter looking dream. So im looking for ideas on the color and scheem from some of the older planes any comments or ideas are welcome also my plans for the servos are all digital probably will use Hitec brand I like those and have a programer for them so thats a good fit. As for the power I have 4 choices that I would like to get feedback on the first is an OS .91 the second is a thunder tiger pro 91 both have about the same hp the third is a novarossi .91 and the fourth is an axe rossi 91 the last 2 have a bit more power so these are more of a choice than the first 2 any other suggestions are wellcome anyway lets see if we can breath new life into this old plane and thanks for any help on this

Atlanta 60 02-23-2010 08:12 PM

RE: curare restoration

You could use this website for color scheme reference:
http://www.trentonrcflyers.com/pattern/patternc.htm

Good Luck with your restoration!!

Chuck

chrisseawright 02-23-2010 08:15 PM

lots of ideas there thanks

Steve25 02-23-2010 09:01 PM

Why would you put in a .91 ?
If you want more power, then why not using one of the .61 top engines ?
Keep in mind, a .91 weighs more, it's pipe weighs more, will give you less flightime, and you're prolly will have to come in faster, while it appears your Curare is not the original wooden version, which make it heavier as well.
A friend of me did indeed install a heavier engine, somewhere .45 / .50 on a Curare 40, after it get so heavy due to many accidents, his .40 could not get it in the air no more...

It's clear that I'm more to sticking to the original...

chrisseawright 02-23-2010 09:26 PM

you are correct it is not wood but a glass body with a foam core wing. what engines would you recomend? The axe rossi is a 61 sorry on that one but the current engine weight is 19.4 ounces the thunder tiger 91 is 19.8 ounces so didnt think it was much of a difference for the gain on power

chrisseawright 02-23-2010 09:36 PM

also although this plane is not wood I do have plans and all the templates in digital format if anyone is interested. I have converted then to corell draw format so that the parts can be cut on a cnc

Steve25 02-23-2010 09:50 PM

What about an OS FSR ABC 61 , IF you find one, or FSR 61
They are light, and seen as the best ever build by OS.
Webra has some hot .61ers as well, and if you buy Webra, it will keep on working for years.

About the power of an OS FSR ABC 61 , against a OS SF 61... , on my profile, you see a Zlin 50L.
When I baught it, I installed that FSR ABC. Actually, after just a meter, it took of, nose up, kept going, and started spinning, with rolls complete the other way . And like you see , the model actually has very big rolls.

Then, years after, I installed an SF in it.
The airplane took off, lame, after something 30-40 meters, and gained hight quiet slow. well, actually it crashed, because one of those big rolls came loose....

The difference between engines.....

In my Curare 40, I had a .40 FSR installed, that was loosing power, so, after some engine out's in air, I installed that 'new' .46.
While that engine clearly had more power, like climbing nicer, actually, it wasn't going faster then with my old fsr
To put it short, these old engines seem to be much 'hotter', write ballastic.

Me personally would never be willing to use a Thunder Tiger ?
If you stick to the .91....what about the OS ?

Steve25 02-23-2010 09:52 PM

and use a resonance pipe... if there are no noise issues in your neigboorhood, they add power and speed...

ppljr 02-23-2010 10:08 PM

ORIGINAL: chrisseawright

also although this plane is not wood I do have plans and all the templates in digital format if anyone is interested. I have converted then to corell draw format so that the parts can be cut on a cnc
The Trenton RC Flyers have said files on their website. Check out their website. Also the original scheme is on the MK plans. Those are awesome drawings, whomever did them must have put a lot of work into them. ;)

doxilia 02-24-2010 02:29 AM

Chris,

sounds like an good project. I look forward to your progress.

I'd be interested in looking at those CAD plans. Would you be able to post them here (add an additional .txt extension to them so that you can upload them)? If not, I'll send you a PM with my email.

Regarding a 90 on a Curare, other than fuel consumption, the main issue you might run into is prop size. The classics with trike gear don't accomodate a very large prop so you'll probably be limited to a 12" (max 13") prop. The 90 will likely want a 13" or 14" prop so that could be a problem. Having said that, someone here build a beautiful Curare with a Jett 90 which is the same size as a 60. I'm not sure what prop he was running but likely high pitched. Just something to think about.

If you have a Rossi 60, I'd use that one - beautiful engine!

David.

Rendegade 02-24-2010 02:43 AM

There is always the option of adding an extra blade...

ppljr 02-24-2010 07:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I believe the CAD plans he was referring to were the ones that were once sold on cd and were suddenly splashed all over the internet. Here is the original DXF file I drew to make the PDF's in question. Change the extension to DWG and voila. The plans are in .TIF format so you'll have to change that extension as well. The first file is the CAD file and the second one is the plans. If there are different drawings, I apologize for assuming such.

Pedro

chrisseawright 02-24-2010 08:47 AM

pedro not sure were the plans originated you may be the person I got these from but spent several days converting and retracing and labeling in corel draw so the plans could be sent to someone with a cnc to cut them they are set up for cut and also have the stecil burned into the part so you know wich part is wich. I have had a kit cut it cost me 200 to have it done but I have started the build my fisrt all wood build so its slow but when do i will post pics as promised

chrisseawright 02-24-2010 09:15 AM

steve as for the engine would like to use a .61 but would like to find a hot rod that I can buy new. I know the old engines were powerfull seems to be alot better in that respect than the engines of today but parts are hard to get for the old engines. Webra pops up alot but not sure were to buy them here. As for the rossi I would love to go back with that one but can anyone redo these engines if anyone has info please let me know. Basicly I want to build this one for speed I have some other planes for trying to practice pattern this one is for speed. What im looking for is basicly on star trek any version when the captian says engage as. As close to that as i can get is what im looking for

pitstop000 02-24-2010 09:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Chris

If you’re looking for a HOT ROD Motor, Look at the Jett 90’s.
They are the only New production motors that fit the bill.
The LX’s are timed to spin 11/8, 11/9, that will give you all the speed you can handle.

ppljr 02-24-2010 09:55 AM

pedro not sure were the plans originated you may be the person I got these from but spent several days converting and retracing and labeling in corel draw so the plans could be sent to someone with a cnc to cut them they are set up for cut and also have the stecil burned into the part so you know wich part is wich. I have had a kit cut it cost me 200 to have it done but I have started the build my fisrt all wood build so its slow but when do i will post pics as promised
If you got the plans from me, it would have come with the dwg file and no tracing would have been required. Only thing I didn't do is offset the lines for the laser kerf and put tabs to hold the pieces in place. There was a whole thread here on what really went down, but that is all water under the bridge. In any event. I'd love to see the file. Please post them here so that others may benefit.

terribleTom 02-24-2010 10:36 AM

I flew a Super C and Tipo in the 86 nats with FSR 61s with Mac pipes. what a powerful and reliable engine. and smooth... I think i used 11x71/4 prop.... memory faded... great find and good luck....
Tommy

bem 02-24-2010 05:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

Curare brings back many memories...
I had one back in 1977-1978 and oboy what a great plan Curare was and still is. I found some photos some months ago of my old Curare that I took in 1977 (bad quality on the photos but one should be able to see it is a Curare). I had a little strange color scheme on my Curare: white, black and pink. I think I had read about Circus Circus Tournament of Champions (TOC)and I had probably seen some plane in Model Airplane News or RCM from any of these competitions and wanted my plane look similar to one of the planes there. I was 16 years old when I built my Curare in 3 weeks (very intense build). Anyway my Curare was built from Model Airplane News plan and had a Rossi 60 FI RC with tuned pipe and in flight adjustable needle. Carl Goldberg retracts and EK logictrol super pro 7 ch radio (that radio lasted very long, I think I used it for 5 or 6 years - I still have the radio preserved). I damaged my Curare twice: first time I got engine failure flying low inverted and did not manage to bring it back to landing strip so it hit some low trees and the fuselage broke in two pieces verticallyat front ofcanopy (easy repair), next time it crashed very bad since I lost radio contact and it just continued to fly straight ahead and eventually hit a large tree and all that was left as a pile of balsa and foam - the engine was sitting in the tree trunk and I had to bend it loose. So the pictures below is the only I have left of my Curare, I was very happy when I found the photos - I had not seen them for 33 years.
Good luck with your restoration!

/Bo

bjr_93tz 02-24-2010 09:58 PM

That is one scary fast looking piece of equipment.

I have a .75 sized motor in mine pulling an 11x10 apc, stock muffler and no retracts and it gets up and boogies when you want it to.

With retracts and a Jet 90 you'd have to be seeing 130mph level flight.

BTW was this the one that lost elevator control after only a couple of flights?

ORIGINAL: pitstop000

Chris

The LX’s are timed to spin 11/8, 11/9, that will give you all the speed you can handle.

Steve25 02-24-2010 10:08 PM

Webra : http://www.webra-austria.at/motor.ph...r=AERO&lang=EN
or http://www.webra-austria.at/motor.ph...r=AERO&lang=EN

There's a distributor in the states, but can't tell you where, the guys here will know, or you could prolly buy directly.
And, some + 10 years old engine I have, wears the same type numbers, so, I guess parts stay the same, and avail waaaay longer then at OS.

I wish I could find a liner/ piston for my FSR ABC .61....

chrisseawright 02-25-2010 08:23 AM

thats why im trying to stay away from the older motors I have a few but parts are hard to find. the Rossi I took off worn out still runs as good as the new O.s. I have on here now I know its not a hot rod os motor but should still do beter than I does, In its defence I havent tried it with a pipe yet. I am going to put the original retracts back on it they are good ones not like the cheapo new ones out there but I do have one question about them the 2 in the wing are easy but it looks like they some how conected the front nose gear to the same servo with a servo arm that had a special peice on the top of the wing servo so you could put the nose servo on top. Ive never seen one opperate and still dont know how you would hook it up and then put the wing on. I want to use the retracts would it be beter to put a small servo up front for the nose or go with the old way I realy dont want to add more weight than I have to so another servo would be my second choice if anyone knows how to do it the old way.

pitstop000 02-25-2010 10:24 AM

ORIGINAL: bjr_93tz

That is one scary fast looking piece of equipment.

I have a .75 sized motor in mine pulling an 11x10 apc, stock muffler and no retracts and it gets up and boogies when you want it to.

With retracts and a Jet 90 you'd have to be seeing 130mph level flight.

BTW was this the one that lost elevator control after only a couple of flights?

ORIGINAL: pitstop000

Chris

Yes, this was the beautiful Curare that was scratch build by one of the members of RCU that had elevator pushrod issues that caused it to be destroyed during its initial Flights. What a shame.

It was definitely fast; if I remember correctly he widened the body for more room for a larger fuel tank, and thinned out the wing airfoil for more speed.

The Jett motors are a work of art, they might seem expensive but IMO they are worth every cent.

chrisseawright 02-25-2010 10:35 AM

I like all of the pics of the curare on here thats why its hard to come up with a paint scheem. As for the one I have been doing some research on it wasent hard since the original owners name and ama # are painted on the side. The original owner or at least the one who did the latesr paint job was david Hector md and lives in texas and is apperently a heart doctor (looked him up on the internet). That being said the person I bought it from lived in ohio I think I waish I could remember his name because he said he had 5 or 6 more of these and some more tipos hes supposed to be at perry again this year but I wont be able to make it anyway long story short I think its neat how these planes travel around so much. also I got a vintage 1985 ama sticker off of it.

pitstop000 02-25-2010 10:50 AM

thats why im trying to stay away from the older motors I have a few but parts are hard to find. the Rossi I took off worn out still runs as good as the new O.s. I have on here now I know its not a hot rod os motor but should still do beter than I does, In its defence I havent tried it with a pipe yet. I am going to put the original retracts back on it they are good ones not like the cheapo new ones out there but I do have one question about them the 2 in the wing are easy but it looks like they some how conected the front nose gear to the same servo with a servo arm that had a special peice on the top of the wing servo so you could put the nose servo on top. Ive never seen one opperate and still dont know how you would hook it up and then put the wing on. I want to use the retracts would it be beter to put a small servo up front for the nose or go with the old way I realy dont want to add more weight than I have to so another servo would be my second choice if anyone knows how to do it the old way.
Check out the Curare build that Mitch is doing.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_92..._9/key_/tm.htm

Check post #209 This should give you some idea of how it can be done. Mk also makes a prefabed setup that you can use.
It does take some time to get this setup to work correctly but it will save you from using 2 servos for the retracts.

Steve25 02-25-2010 11:03 AM

I'll also look at the plan of my .40 Curare.
I think it's just coupled on a standard horn, and coupled on of everytime you mount it.
I guess a nice way to slove this, would be an extra servo ?
Normally, under the tank, you have enough place, in any case, in my .40