RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   Need Kraft wheels........ (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/9533496-need-kraft-wheels.html)

rv7driver 02-24-2010 11:06 PM

Need Kraft wheels........

Guys, I'm in need of some kraft wheels,looking for 2 1/2" need 2. I could also use a couple 2 1/4", they do not need to be new just servicable. I have a lot of kraft wheels but not this size I'm willing to trade or buy I have 2 3/4" streamline and 1 3/4" treaded wheels NIP. any help would be appreciated. I did post a wanted add on RCU.

Thanks ahead of time, Pete

doxilia 02-25-2010 12:31 AM

RE: Need Kraft wheels........

Hey Pete,

wish I could help - unfortunately I have none in that size. I do have a triplet of 2-1/4" but they're on a plane.

If you don't have a need for the 1-3/4" treaded, I'd be glad to buy those from you.

Any builds this winter?

David.

dhal22 02-25-2010 06:11 AM

Pete, i have some. let me see how many and what size.

rv7driver 02-25-2010 07:52 AM

David and David, first I have several 1/ 3/4 sets I'll PM you
David and let you know what I have.

David I need 2ea 2 1/2" and 2ea 2 1/4" wheels I'll PM you with my phone #. Thanks so much guys! Pete PS: I need the wheels for a kwik Fli III I just finished.

Atlanta 60 02-25-2010 08:53 AM

ORIGINAL: rv7driver
PS: I need the wheels for a kwik Fli III I just finished.
Awesome!! ;)

rv7driver 02-25-2010 09:06 AM

Chuck I'll post some pic's tonight, just need to install the pilot and canopy. Regards, Pete

rv7driver 02-25-2010 09:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what I need the kraft wheels for. pilot and canopy needs to be installed.

Free Bird 02-25-2010 09:37 AM

Nice job Pete! I like the colors and trim scheme, is it film covered or paint? Is it scratch built, TF kit or a kit from Jeff P.? A couple of weeks ago, I started building a TF KF III kit.

BTW - any news on a tank for the MK Mattlas 40? Sorry to go off topic!

FB

rv7driver 02-25-2010 09:49 AM

FB, I have not forgot the tank, schedule change's has keep me from laying over in Singapore, next month it will be back to the old schedule so I'll head down to Singapore hobbies and pick a 220cc tank up for you.
The kf is covered in coverite flim I like it better than monocote it seems to be easier to work with and has a more painted look than monocote. cheers, Pete

Free Bird 02-25-2010 10:19 AM

FB, I have not forgot the tank, schedule change's has keep me from laying over in Singapore, next month it will be back to the old schedule so I'll head down to Singapore hobbies and pick a 220cc tank up for you.
The kf is covered in coverite flim I like it better than monocote it seems to be easier to work with and has a more painted look than monocote. cheers, Pete
10-4 on the tank, thanks! Coverite film, I didn't know that it was still available. How does it hold up over time, wrinkles, fading etc.? Is your KF scratch built, TF kit or a kit from Jeff P.?

FB

rv7driver 02-25-2010 10:34 AM

Its a Jeff P kit, Coverite flim is still available from towers, its hold up well, seems to wrinkle less with temp. changes over monocote, I've used it for years. Pete

Free Bird 02-25-2010 10:39 AM

Its a Jeff P kit, Coverite flim is still available from towers, its hold up well, seems to wrinkle less with temp. changes over monocote, I've used it for years. Pete
Thanks for the info Pete, I just might give that covering a try. Good luck with your KF, it's a beauty!

FB

AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken 02-25-2010 10:47 AM

ORIGINAL: rv7driver

Is that Black Barron, or 21'st Century? It's gorgeous!

rv7driver 02-25-2010 10:53 AM

21st century. Thanks Pete

Free Bird 02-25-2010 03:25 PM

Pete, how does the film go over itself? Is there a lot of gassing like MonoKote?

FB

rv7driver 02-25-2010 03:36 PM

FB, just like monokote it will bubble up, the key is not to use a wood sealer, let wood breath, I seal the edges good pulling the coverite tight as I seal the edges, then use a gun to shrink it making sure I don't get the gun close to the edge I just sealed. some people like to Iron it to all the wood thats ok just start in the middle and work out. Pete

AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken 02-25-2010 04:22 PM

I think FB (and myself) want to know how does it go over itself as in applying trim colors?

rv7driver 02-25-2010 04:39 PM

I just follow the instructions that come with the coverite, and iron it down with 1/4 to 1/2 inch overlap @ 230 degrees F once the edges are down turn up the heat to about 250F and go over it again slowly but do not stop, follow behind it with a damp paper towel that will set the adhesive. after all edges are sealed,( making sure to pull all edges as you iron them down use the heat gun to finish.) I also found that coverite will not sag as much as monkote over time, again it what your use to. I will say monokote is a little tougher than coverite. I hope this helps guess I was not clear on that at all guys, sorry. Pete

Free Bird 02-25-2010 05:00 PM

Thanks for the useful tips Pete!

FB

littlera 02-25-2010 09:40 PM

rv7,

I have the following Kraft wheels I could sell or trade:

Qty size
3 2.25
1 2.5
1 2.0

All are "used" but not worn. The plastic hubs on all have been painted white.

I am in need too. I had been saving a pair of 3.0" Kraft wheels, NIB, for many years. I just finished a new Unionville Hobbies 6' Beaver, and wanted to use these wheels on this model. To my dismay, upon opening the box, one of the tires is defective - It has either not been vulcanized or if it was done at all it was done insufficiently. The rubber is the consistency of chewing gum. I boiled it in water, and it firmed up some, but I really don't want to use it.

I would really like to trade the three 2.25 inch wheels for a pair of 3 inch wheels. Would this be possible??

Regards,

Randy Little

rv7driver 02-25-2010 09:56 PM

Randy, sorry to hear about the 3" wheels, the biggest I have are 2 3/4" streamline not treaded they are NIP. I don't think they are big enough for what you want them for. I have 2 1/4 wheels so I'd be interested in the 2.5 wheel you have is it streamlined or treaded? thanks, Pete

littlera 02-25-2010 10:27 PM

Dang, really hoping you would have the 3". I was so discouraged when I found that gum ball in the new box. It's hard to imagine how Hayes was able to get it in the box without vulcanizing.

All of my wheels are the regular tires with tread. I never had any streamlines - didn't like 'em.

I had two of the 2.5 inch wheels as mains on a Sig Bonanza that I flew through a tree at about Mach 2 in 1983. The wheels were about all that emerged in one piece. Unfortunately I have misplaced one of them in the ensuing 27 years with time and a house move.

Randy L.

littlera 02-25-2010 10:41 PM

Check eBay

This is another source for Kraft Wheels. I checked about a month ago, and none were for sale. Currently there are several of all sizes up for sale. Check the "completed" auctions. The larger wheels, NIB, usually go for about $25 a pair shipped.

If you are still interested in my wheel, PM me with reasonable offer including shipping.

edp 02-27-2010 03:11 PM

Check you know where now.

JEC55 03-04-2010 02:29 PM

RV7, I found a pair of 2 1/2 Kraft wheels in my stash of parts yesterday. They are streamline nip. Let me know if they will work for you.