RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   Another "What is it" (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/9640644-another-%22what-%22.html)

multicasting 04-06-2010 12:33 AM

Another "What is it"

1 Attachment(s)
You guys did so well on the last one, I thought I would try another. This aircraft was most likely built in the 1980s or 1990s. I first thought it was a scratch, but during a repair I found something that indicated a part number on a fuse former. It was built by Howard Seaman of Dallas, sold in 2004 from his estate. The owner had a flame out on a slow flyby and crashed it in 2004. It was left at my house for a couple of years until I chose to restore it. I didn't think much of it at first. Then after flying it a bit I realized that it was a very good tracking aircraft. We have called it the Joystick. But the tail looks like something I recently saw on a Kwik Fli.

Thanks!
Bob

NM2K 04-06-2010 01:28 AM

RE: Another

ORIGINAL: multicasting

You guys did so well on the last one, I thought I would try another. This aircraft was most likely built in the 1980s or 1990s. I first thought it was a scratch, but during a repair I found something that indicated a part number on a fuse former. It was built by Howard Seaman of Dallas, sold in 2004 from his estate. The owner had a flame out on a slow flyby and crashed it in 2004. It was left at my house for a couple of years until I chose to restore it. I didn't think much of it at first. Then after flying it a bit I realized that it was a very good tracking aircraft. We have called it the Joystick. But the tail looks like something I recently saw on a Kwik Fli.

Thanks!
Bob

I don't know what it is - yet. I'm one of those guys that has to throw a request into the brain's search engine and then wait a long while, IF it decides to answer me. But you are right, it does look a lot like a Kwik-Fli, or at least a model from that era. Pretty.

Ed Cregger

Bozarth 04-06-2010 02:18 AM

It looks like a Flite Line model - one of Riley Wootan's kits out of Lubbock, TX in the 1980's and 1990's. I want to say it's one size up from the Skooter II, but I can't recall (yet). I built one of these and bashed it into a tail dragger / P-51 looking thing with a .60 in it in 1992. I lived 2 blocks from Flite Line Models / Lone Star Balsa.

Kurt

RFJ 04-06-2010 05:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)

We have called it the Joystick
Bob - probably because that's what it is :D

The Joy Stick was a Noel Rozelle design and produced in three sizes for 0.049, 0.25 and 0.60 engines. He called them Joy Stick, Super Joy Stick & Super Duper Joy Stick respectively.

The 0.049 version was published in the April 1975 issue of RCM and the 0.60 one in the February 1981 issue. They may have also been produced as kits - I don't know.

These shots are the 0.60 & 0.049 versions.

Ray

KrisG 04-07-2010 02:25 AM

Hello everybody,

I built a Super Duper Joy Stick from the A4 sized plan in RC Modeler Magazine more than 10 years ago, powered with a Super Tigre 61. It was great fun, and the Tigre was way too much power for the plane actually ( flutter was always looking around the corner). I had reduced the dihedral a little bit, and it was as if on rails, both upright as well as inverted. That's also how it met its demise ... upside down, couple of feet above the deck, and a moment with a little less concentration ... nothing much left of it.

I'd recommend one to anybody who wants a simple great-flying sunday fun plane.

Kris

turbo.gst 04-07-2010 01:32 PM

Riley Wooten / Lone Star Models sold the Super Duper Joystick kit, but no more. RC Modeler still sells the plan # 824 , by Noel L. Rozelle. Great flyers and an easy build. They were popular for fun fly's before the purpose built ships surfaced. They are a fantastic sport flyers machine.

turbo

NM2K 04-07-2010 01:40 PM

ORIGINAL: turbo.gst

Riley Wooten / Lone Star Models sold the Super Duper Joystick kit, but no more. RC Modeler still sells the plan # 824 , by Noel L. Rozelle. Great flyers and an easy build. They were popular for fun fly's before the purpose built ships surfaced. They are a fantastic sport flyers machine.

turbo

I think he also designed my all time favorite control line model, the "Voodoo", as kitted by Carl Goldberg. I've thought of making an R/C version. I'd better stop thinking and start doing - time is a gettin' scarce.

Ed Cregger

AndyKunz 04-07-2010 02:15 PM

You're right, Ed. I had a Voodoo I built as a kid, right up until we moved to IL in '08. I gave it to my nephew then. That plane was a rocket on a Fox .19 - way more than I could handle! If you ever find a set of plans, let me know. I'd like to build another myself (a C/L as well as a RC).

Andy

proptop 04-07-2010 07:20 PM

ORIGINAL: RFJ

We have called it the Joystick
Bob - probably because that's what it is :D

The Joy Stick was a Noel Rozelle design and produced in three sizes for 0.049, 0.25 and 0.60 engines. He called them Joy Stick, Super Joy Stick & Super Duper Joy Stick respectively.

The 0.049 version was published in the April 1975 issue of RCM and the 0.60 one in the February 1981 issue. They may have also been produced as kits - I don't know.

These shots are the 0.60 & 0.049 versions.

Ray

I built a Super Joy Stick from a kit...sometime around '76... I put a Super Tigre .23 on it...nice flyer. I recall that there was a kit of the little one too, for an .049, but I don't remember who made the kits though?

multicasting 04-08-2010 12:08 AM

Well Cool! We have been calling it the right thing all along. A good friend said he thought it was that but when I saw some pictures of the Quick Fli I got confused. It is really a great aircraft.

Thanks!

AndyKunz 04-16-2010 07:13 AM

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz
You're right, Ed. I had a Voodoo I built as a kid, right up until we moved to IL in '08. I gave it to my nephew then. That plane was a rocket on a Fox .19 - way more than I could handle! If you ever find a set of plans, let me know. I'd like to build another myself (a C/L as well as a RC).
I snagged a Aerocraft Snapper off the bay last week. It was marked as NIB, but in fact the box had NEVER BEEN OPENED! Can't wait to see what I got inside.

I know they're selling a Mk II of it, laser cut and all, but this should suffice my need for insane flying for a while.

Andy