RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   Mach 1 - looking for original article or infos (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/9921223-mach-1-looking-original-article-infos.html)

bem 08-11-2010 06:50 PM

RE: Mach 1 - looking for original article or infos

1 Attachment(s)
Post #6:

Tournament of Champions (TOC)December 6-8 1974. Norm Page placed 19th. Source MAN March 1975.

/Bo

bem 08-11-2010 06:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Post # 7 (last):

Here are some pictures from TOC 1974 where Swedish Champion Benny Kjellgren entered and placed 12th with his Mach 1(he entered two more TOC and placed 12th, 15th). Benny was Swedish Champion in F3A from 1974 and almost every year to beginning of 1990 or some year later (he is still active flyer and fly someIMAC, electric F3A, sailplanesetc). I remember when he was Swedish Champion 1974 since I was a spectator at that competition. He had one of his white-orange Mach 1 in picture below. He built total 7 Mach 1. He used them from 1974 to 1977. I flew in 3 competitions where Benny also entered (and he won of course). His Mach 1 was scratch built from Midwest plans. Sources: MAN April 1975 and Swedish Modelflying Federation (SMFF) 50th anniversary book.

/Bo

NM2K 08-11-2010 10:48 PM

Does anyone remember which brand of radio that Norm Page was flying, that let him down?

Ed Cregger

mithrandir 08-11-2010 11:56 PM

yuh'know.... pump it up to 2 meters.... stretch the tail, fatten the fuse.....

it would prolly make an awesome modern dat pattern plane!! lol

gkaraolides 08-12-2010 12:26 AM

Wow, did Kjellgren build a whole squadron of Mach 1's?

It also looks like he added a ventral fin extension...

George

bem 08-12-2010 04:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: NM2K

Does anyone remember which brand of radio that Norm Page was flying, that let him down?

Ed Cregger
Hi,

Norm Page used Pro Line radio through his RC career with Mach 1.
Here is a Pro Line ad efter US Masters 1972 (where Norm Page placed 1 st). Source MAN April 1973.

/Bo

bem 08-12-2010 04:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: gkaraolides

Wow, did Kjellgren build a whole squadron of Mach 1's?

It also looks like he added a ventral fin extension...

George
Hi,

Benny built total 7 Mach 1, all in 1974. In spring 1974 he crashed two of his Mach 1 in a row, then he built a new in 3 weeks and at the end of -74 season he had total of 5 Mach 1 as seen in the picture above (post# 27). One of the planes (the one with all the autograph's after TOC 1974) is hanging in museum today in Tidaholm (where Benny lived then and today).

Yes he had added fin area where fuselage line and fin line meet on some of his Mach 1 - see image below.

A little side note: Benny trained a lot of course, example - he had a special agreement with his employer so he had 1,5 hour lunch so he could practice every day (he had lunch for 10 minutes and flew rest of the time). He had a quick refuling system so he did not need to turn off the engine between flights so he managed to get 4 flights during his lunch break and then another 4 flights after work. So he really trained hard. Benny used Webra Speed 61 in hisMach 1 with Kraft radio. Last season he used Mach 1, 1976, he also used a Minivox tuned pipe on his Webra Speed 61 - see image below from Nordic Championship 1976 (that Benny won).

/Bo

bem 08-12-2010 07:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

There was also an ACE R/C small plane "Mach-None", a 1/2A pattern plane. I hade one in 1977 and I have an unbuilt kit, see pictures below.The first ad for Mach-None appeared in 1975 I think (below from Model Airplane News May 1975). I had anOS Max 0.10 FP (1,7 ccm)engine in my Mach-None. When I build my Mach-None kit I will use light micro servos and light receiver, electric outrunner engine with ESC+BECand a small LiPo battery pack.

/Bo

NM2K 08-12-2010 03:09 PM

ORIGINAL: bem

Ed Cregger
Hi,

Here is a Pro Line ad efter US Masters 1972 (where Norm Page placed 1 st). Source MAN April 1973.

/Bo

Ouch! I wasn't expecting that.

Thanks.

Ed Cregger

AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken 08-12-2010 03:21 PM

Hi,

There was also an ACE R/C small plane ''Mach-None'', a 1/2A pattern plane. I hade one in 1977 and I have an unbuilt kit, see pictures below. The first ad for Mach-None appeared in 1975 I think (below from Model Airplane News May 1975). I had an OS Max 0.10 FP (1,7 ccm) engine in my Mach-None. When I build my Mach-None kit I will use light micro servos and light receiver, electric outrunner engine with ESC+BEC and a small LiPo battery pack.

/Bo
Bo,
Here's a link to Dave Fritzke's (RCU ID: Fritzke) CAD plan for a built-up wing version of the Mach None. [link=http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/mach-none_cadplans.pdf]Mach None Plans[/link]

Ben Lanterman 08-12-2010 04:12 PM

The only problem with the Mach None is that the wing has the wrong taper ratio. It kinda messes with the Mach 1 looks.

stuntflyr 08-12-2010 07:11 PM

Unless you like sexy twins of WWII like the DH Mosquito, P-38 Lightning and Grumman Tigercat. Wicked trailing edge taper. Very cool.
Chris...

JeffH 08-13-2010 07:49 AM

ORIGINAL: stuntflyr

Unless you like sexy twins of WWII like the DH Mosquito, P-38 Lightning and Grumman Tigercat. Wicked trailing edge taper. Very cool.
Chris...
he was referring to the 1/2A sized Mach None, not the full sized Mach One. i agree with the Mach None comments. With that wing, they all look like a Pacer.

stuntflyr 08-13-2010 01:38 PM

Oh, oops!
I see what you mean now that I look at it.
Chris...

bem 08-18-2010 12:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

Another photo of Norm Page and his Mach 1 at F3A WC 1973 Goritzia inItaly.

/Bo

mred33 08-20-2010 06:26 PM

Ithink the Mach1 was about the most baeutiful plane ever designed. it was hard to stuff a tank in one, but it looked great and flew ever better. Is it easy to fly? That depends on how good you are. You need low wing experance and I would not advise trying one as your very first low wing, but it's about as easy to fly as a Kaos and that plane is easy. The biggest difference is the speed. Ihad a Mach 8 that was pretty much a Mach 1 in 40 size and it flew every bit as good, but being smaller, was a little twitchy compaired to the Mach 1. Iloved it and would really like to build another one. Ihave the plans and will get to it as soon as Ican, but I have a couple ahead of it right now. Iflew mine with an HP and no retracts and one with retracts. Both flew great, but the retract model Ithink was not quite as good in some ways and better it others. Ithink it was the difference in weight, with the fixed gear being lighter, but the retracts beign faster. It would really slow down nicely considering that it's not a high wing trainer and landed very smooth. In fact, everything that plane did was smooth. I also think it is the most graceful plane Ihave ever had the pleasure to fly and looked great doing the pattern. Inever bother with contest flying, because Ihad to many other things to do, like the military, but it was pure joy to fly. Iforgot who makes them now, but you can buy the foam wing and stab for the Mach 1 and the rest is easy.

Ed

mithrandir 08-20-2010 06:45 PM

Ed Cregger
Hi,

/Bo

wow... my dad knew all those guys!!

bem 08-21-2010 03:18 AM

ORIGINAL: mred33
Iforgot who makes them now, but you can buy the foam wing and stab for the Mach 1 and the rest is easy.
Ed
Hi,
Eureka Aircraft sell short kit of Mach 1 based on Model Airplane News drawing.
http://www.eurekaaircraft.com/plan_kits/machone.htm
I have such short kit myself and I can recommend it.

/Bo

mred33 08-22-2010 10:37 AM

Thanks. I knew someone did, but Ilost my bookmarks when Iupgraded my browser and couldn't remember who it was. Igotta get one of them.

Ed

mups53 08-22-2010 10:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of Norm at our local flying site.
The other picture is of me and my fatherflying the 2nd Mach 1 ever built. The blue plane was fromthe original Mach 1 plans. I was flying my fathers Mach 1 in the picture and mine was the one he's knelling in front of. The Blueone suffered a crash in its first flight thus the repair near the tail.
The Mach 1 in the picture of Norm was actually his second version thus the #2 on the fuse. He made a few modifications from his original like less side area.
Mike Mueller

Paternguy 08-22-2010 04:45 PM

The Blue one looks like a Troublemaker to me.

Free Bird 08-22-2010 05:11 PM

Nope, it's not a Troublemaker.

FB

mred33 08-22-2010 07:10 PM

That blue one is a Mach 1all right, but it looks like it's been hitten the cookie jar pretty hard. Sure glad Norm put that thing on a diet. Looks much better on the second version. Inever saw that first one before. It's pretty cool to see the evelution of a plane like this.

Hay FB, recon you could make that picture a mite bigger? It's not quite full size yet, but it's close................... Only took me 10 minuets to down load that thing. Have pitty on of poor old farts still on dile-up. Iwas afraid to hit the click on full size button. Figured it would be full size then.............................

Ed

McLeodAviation 08-22-2010 07:34 PM

ORIGINAL: mred33

Hay FB, recon you could make that picture a mite bigger? It's not quite full size yet, but it's close................... Only took me 10 minuets to down load that thing. Have pitty on of poor old farts still on dile-up. I was afraid to hit the click on full size button. Figured it would be full size then.............................

Same deal here. The picture takes forever to load on dial-up. I just gave up waiting. I thought pictures were automatically downsized when uploaded in the forum. Might be something wrong with the uploader dillymajig.

All this Mach 1 information is really cool. Makes me want to build one.

EscapeFlyer 08-22-2010 09:25 PM

The problem is the RCU server you were lucky enought to line up to by chance. Minnflyer told me RCU runs a few servers, and one of them always does this. If you ask a moderator, they can get the picture re-sized properly.

The luck of the draw!

OBTW- I really like the Mach one too. (So what, right??? [8D])

Brian