RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   biplane ever win a pattern event? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/9968611-biplane-ever-win-pattern-event.html)

McLeodAviation 08-30-2010 12:58 AM

biplane ever win a pattern event?

Did any biplanes ever do well at pattern events back in the 70's? Did one ever win a notable event?

RFJ 08-30-2010 04:13 AM

RE: biplane ever win a pattern event?

I don't recall any successful F3A biplane designs from the 70s. Two biplane designs were flown at the 1989 WCs - Tony F's Fyg Leaf and Tobias Schultz's Shamrock.

Ray

bem 08-30-2010 06:00 AM

Cass Engineering Pulsar Bipe maybe did win some pattern contests back in 1970th?

/Bo

Hokie Flyer 08-30-2010 08:24 AM

Steve Rojecki won the 1984 TOC with Ken Bonnema's Reed Falcon.

Rob

BERUSTY 08-30-2010 11:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Biplanes win a pattern event?

Norm Cassella designed the Pulsar and Skybolt.

Long time modelers will remember American Aircraft Modeler. Olie Olson, of Omaha, Nebraska wrote a column called "Multi-wing things" and with Walt Schroeder (Model Airplane News) created an event called the National Multi-Wings Championships which was held at Hawk field in Omaha. The event, which was the predessor to IMAC turn-around style flying, attracted pilots from all over the country and Norm attended with his Pulsar.

The photos below are from my collection and are of the Pulsar and Super Skybolt.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba

RFJ 08-30-2010 12:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry, I thought the original poster was asking about biplanes winning "notable events" which I tend to think of as World and National Champs.

I'm sure there have been many biplanes, including the designs mentioned above, that have won local and regional aerobatic events.

One that did OK at an early WC (7th place,1960) was Hal de Bolt's Livewire Custom Bipe.

Ray

burtona 08-30-2010 12:57 PM

ORIGINAL: BERUSTY

Biplanes win a pattern event?

Norm Cassella designed the Pulsar and Skybolt.

Long time modelers will remember American Aircraft Modeler. Olie Olson, of Omaha, Nebraska wrote a column called ''Multi-wing things'' and with Walt Schroeder (Model Airplane News) created an event called the National Multi-Wings Championships which was held at Hawk field in Omaha. The event, which was the predessor to IMAC turn-around style flying, attracted pilots from all over the country and Norm attended with his Pulsar.

The photos below are from my collection and are of the Pulsar and Super Skybolt.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba

I got both of those two kits stowed away in the attic too. Maybe someday!!!!!!
Maybe the Pulsar will get done this winter even.

MMcConville 08-30-2010 01:25 PM

Tony F won the '89 Team Trials with the FYG Leaf, but that wasnt the 70's.

TOC was a different event. The year Rojo won with the Reed Falcon (1984) there was a 10% bonus for biplanes.

NM2K 08-30-2010 04:17 PM

ORIGINAL: bem

Cass Engineering Pulsar Bipe maybe did win some pattern contests back in 1970th?

/Bo

I'm just guessing, but it would seem to be pretty likely to have won at least a few local pattern contests. I've seen guys compete and win in the lower pattern classes with modified RCM Trainer 60 (me) and the model was modified for engine research (variable engine mount and variable tail weight system). A well built example of the Pulsar that was set up for pattern flying would have slaughtered my RCM Trainer 60 with equal pilots.

Ed Cregger

McLeodAviation 08-30-2010 10:29 PM

I was thinking about the national events back when guys were flying models like the Super Kaos 60 and Dirty Birdy. Guess I was just wondering if a biplane was able to successfully compete in a sport seemingly dominated by monoplanes.

Interesting the 1984 Tournament of Champions was won by a Reed Falcon biplane. :D

I always liked the Pulsar biplane. Was there a full-scale Pulsar?

NM2K 08-31-2010 11:02 AM

ORIGINAL: McLeodAviation

I was thinking about the national events back when guys were flying models like the Super Kaos 60 and Dirty Birdy. Guess I was just wondering if a biplane was able to successfully compete in a sport seemingly dominated by monoplanes.

Interesting the 1984 Tournament of Champions was won by a Reed Falcon biplane. :D

I always liked the Pulsar biplane. Was there a full-scale Pulsar?

Because of the shorter coupling, biplanes were at a serious disadvantage in windy weather. A little turbulence disturbing the short coupled model and you more than had your hands full.

No, I don't believe there was ever a serious contender for the top of the pattern heap that was a biplane.

Ed Cregger

rcpattern 08-31-2010 02:41 PM

I know you guys were referring to the 70's, but in recent years biplanes have slowly gained some popularity. QQ won the worlds in 07 with a biplane, and several top pilots have been using biplanes in the finals sequences at the last few worlds including Onda and Silvestri. The sport is still dominated by monoplanes, but there are a few who are successfully flying bipes,

Arch

bem 09-05-2010 04:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

Just thought it might be interesting to show an ad where Cass Engineering with their Pulsar Bipe really tried to position this biplane as a pattern plane. Ad below is from Model Airplane News March 1977. Notice at the botton of the ad "Norm Casella, designer, has won in every meet for past three years."
I get curious then to know how many contests he entered,at what level and if he competed against ordinary mono plane classic pattern planes?

/Bo

KrisG 09-06-2010 02:29 AM

Didn't Phil Craft enter with a biplane once? Maybe it didn't win, but it was sure something special to come with a 2-winger when he participated with his. Named the "Stagger", I seem to remember.

Kris

RFJ 09-06-2010 03:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Didn't Phil Craft enter with a biplane once
That would be the "Stagger-Bi" from the same era as the de Bolt design shown in post #6. Construction article in October 1963 RCM.

Ray

bob27s 09-08-2010 10:07 AM

Back in the 70s and early 80s there was an AMA rule book event for biplane sport aerobatics.

I went to a few events - bipes only. It was blast. Most guys showed up with Aeromasters and the like. If you were flying a pulsar, acrostar, or skybolt, you were a notch above everyone else. I had an Acrostar (airtronics offered a kit for quite a while). That with the then "new" OS FSR engine was foridable.

I also flew my .40 size Pitts at one event, because the bipe event had a "Scale" bonus. Worked out ok until it got windy late in the day :)