RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   Engine For Kwik FLi Mk. III (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/9987302-engine-kwik-fli-mk-iii.html)

R_G 09-07-2010 08:55 PM

Engine For Kwik FLi Mk. III

I've always had an interest in Phil Kraft's Kwik Fli so I finally decided that it's time I should have one! So a set of Kwik Fli Mk III plans from M.A.N. is on the way! :D

I'd like to use an engine from the same era and I'm looking for suggestions/recommendations? Ideally I'd like to find something NIB, but that's probably wishful thinking! Maybe something like a Supertigre G60 Blue Head or an O.S. H60F.

I'm open to suggestions!

RG

stuntflyr 09-08-2010 02:02 AM

RE: Engine For Kwik FLi Mk. III

Weren't those engines way later than the Kwik Fli? I was thinking an ST V60.
Chris...

Johnkpap 09-08-2010 05:18 AM

What about :-

Webra 61 Chrome Head

Enya 60 III R/C

Merco 60 Twinplug

Just to name a few.....

Johnkpap

bem 09-08-2010 06:10 AM

Webra 61 Black head will also be an alternative if you want an engine fromthat time frame. I have such engine myself (NIB) that I plan to mount in a Marabu (Bruno Giezendanner WC model 1969, 1971 - he used such engine in his plane). But a new modern more reliable 2-stroke like OS 55AX or Evolution .60 NX should be fine also.

/Bo

rcguy! 09-08-2010 06:22 AM

Check eBay for a K&B .61. I got a NIB one last year from it....

Dave

somiss1 09-08-2010 07:18 AM

Phil Kraft used an Enya 60 in his. An OS 55AX would be more powerful than the Enya that he used.

Bax 09-08-2010 10:51 AM

If you find a good O.S. Max H-60F, you'll have an ideal engine for a Kwik Fli III, and one that is correct for the original time. I had one of those engines in 1970, and put it into my Kwik-Fli III.

turbo.gst 09-08-2010 12:20 PM

How about a Lee Custom 61?

stuntflyr 09-08-2010 01:28 PM

Good thinking. Clarence Lee advertises it for about 125 bucks or something, new with the porting. I saw one on a super well built, period-like Kaos at the AMA Convention in January and it really looked the part.
Chris...

jrlingrel 09-08-2010 03:35 PM

My first Kwik Fll III was a Graupner kit Ibuilt in Germany back in 1969 or 70. Powered it with a Gold Head OS 60. One of the best flying planes I owned for many years. Ilater had a Kwik Fli 4 with the tapered wing with a Webra Black Head. Both were very great airplanes and both had plenty of power.

crankpin 09-08-2010 04:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How about one of these ?

Crank

rv7driver 09-08-2010 08:24 PM

Gotta tell ya I have an OS 55AX in my Q.F. III, and it really moves vertical almost out of sight, yes I thought of a engine from the correct time and have many of them. It will fly the old AMA pattern's with ease @ 3/4 throttle ( not that I fly them that good!! lol). very reliable. just my 2 cents. Pete

R_G 09-08-2010 08:49 PM

ORIGINAL: turbo.gst

How about a Lee Custom 61?
Boy, I really like this idea! I'll have to think about this one! Had several K&B .40's in the past that ran great, but never a .61! Would also satisfy the NIB desire!

Lots of other great possibilities too!

The Enya .60 III would be cool! I've always had good luck with Enya's! The Webra Black Head too! The O.S. Max H-60F would probably be my first choice if I could find a good one! Big .O.S fan!

Thanks for all the great suggestions and comments guys! Now to find one of these!

The search begins! ;)

RG

Johnkpap 09-08-2010 09:47 PM

This may help search on $bay

OS 60 Gold Head :- 160476679401 ....No muffler ....should sell for not much

Webra 60 :-200515397112..... Boxed... Great engine !!! they just go and go and.....

They only have 24hrs left :D

Johnkpap

NM2K 09-08-2010 10:37 PM

How about an HP .60 four-bolt head schneurle ported engine? It is period correct, believe it or not, and it stands head and shoulders above the non schneurle ported engines that have been mentioned so far, power wise. They are not cheap on the used market, but they go like stink.

Don't forget those high nitro fueled .91 four-strokes that you will be up against.

Of course, I would rather stick with an OS .61SF side exhaust with muffler. It isn't period correct, but it doesn't have to eat even a tiny slice of humble pie when compared to the four-strokes.

Hey, Vince! Which OS is that? I can't read the side of the engine, but it looks like an OS FP of some size.

Ed Cregger

turbo.gst 09-09-2010 03:06 AM

Thats an OS FP 60. I was surprised at 13000 with an 11 x 7 out of mine on 5% nitro. That is very appropriate power for the non-piped time period. The only real negative is weight. The K&B or Lee Custom is about 7 oz's less. I think the Fox 60 (Eagle I) is the lightest. The ST V-60 and Evolution 60 NX are very close seconds, if weight is a consideration. The FP 60 is a no fuss engine and a great fit for many older designs. I love designs from this time period!

crankpin 09-09-2010 06:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ed - An FP. We found two gold head's for Tom Scott's P-5. Perfect all around.

Vince

stuntflyr 09-09-2010 11:15 AM

Clarence Lee advertises in the classified section of Model Aviation. Probably in MAN and Flying Models, too.
Chris...

TFF 09-09-2010 12:00 PM

Not era, but what about a Kraft .61? I will put one in a Kwik Fli 1 with the Kraft radio if I can get around to glueing stuff together. I think a K&B or Webra would be the way to go also.

JeffH 09-09-2010 01:36 PM

ORIGINAL: bem

Webra 61 Black head will also be an alternative if you want an engine from that time frame. I have such engine myself (NIB) that I plan to mount in a Marabu (Bruno Giezendanner WC model 1969, 1971 - he used such engine in his plane). But a new modern more reliable 2-stroke like OS 55AX or Evolution .60 NX should be fine also.

/Bo
Sorry, off topic, was the Marabu the swing wing plane that he flew about that time?

latinRClover 09-09-2010 02:32 PM

ORIGINAL: bem

Webra 61 Black head will also be an alternative if you want an engine from that time frame. I have such engine myself (NIB) that I plan to mount in a Marabu (Bruno Giezendanner WC model 1969, 1971 - he used such engine in his plane). But a new modern more reliable 2-stroke like OS 55AX or Evolution .60 NX should be fine also.

/Bo
So, I'm not the only one ! Same engine and same dream plane ! I was 13teen,just in my first year or modelling when Giezendanner won the Wch in 1969 with Marabu that is a normal fixed wing plane ( although with a singular wing with a NACA 2415 root airfoil evolving into a NACA 0018 at tip )
The variable geometry model was the one used at the 1973 Wch in Gorizia , called "Salamandre"

RCDENT 09-13-2010 06:14 AM

The Enya .60 II or III runs like a jewel, and new ones occasionally turn up at online auction sites. K&B / Veco .61 is another good choice and "in period". If you find an original Veco, you can still send it off to Clarence Lee and get it customized. The original Kwik Fli III was designed to use a backplate motor mount with the above-mentioned engines. When the engine manufacturers moved to Schnurle-ported designs, the engines all got physically about 1/2 in longer (necessary for the port configuration). While these engines make incredible power, trying to shoe horn them into a KF will require lengthening the nose and changing the look of the plane.

I would try to stick with a vintage .60, or a modern .46-55 engine to keep the engine size and weight in proper perspective.

I just wish somebody would locate a stash of Du-Bro 14 in canopies (used on the original KF III).

Good luck, it's a great bird!

R_G 09-13-2010 08:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys, Thanks for all the comments and suggestions! [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

I was lucky enough to locate an O.S. Max H60F by way of a Want Ad on another site. The original owner tells me it's NIB, but it has some definite corrosion issues. He also had the correct muffler for this engine, NIP. I just did the PayPal thing tonight so I should have it in a week or two. I also have a line on a second one, so I may end up with two of these! :)

I'm pretty sure I can get the crankcase back to a like new appearance with an acid based cleaning solution. I was told some mag wheel cleaners have a mild acid in them. We also use a similar acid at work for cleaning aluminum, but it's probably stronger than the wheel cleaner. I'll try the milder stuff first to see how it works out.

RCDENT 09-13-2010 10:42 PM

Great choice if the size isn't a problem. One of my favorite engines from the past. More power than the old Enya III's and Veco's, not quite as much as the later Schnurle's. Starts, runs, and idles like a dream (as do most O.S.'s).

Johnkpap 09-14-2010 07:12 AM

Just remember to keep the cleaner away from the head or it will
turn silver [:o]

I have seen it happen.......

Johnkpap