Notices
Club 40 Discuss all Club 40 flying here.

Club 40 Charleston SC

Old 07-27-2015, 03:44 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Club 40 Charleston SC

I am fairly new to the Charleston area and was wondering if any local clubs currently host club 40 events. If not, does anyone know where the closest events may be held? I have flown club 40 in Northeast Ohio for a few years and really enjoyed it and would love to get back into it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris
Old 07-27-2015, 06:57 AM

Chris,

Don Stegall is just SE of Charlotte, NC. You will probably hear from him soon. It looks like he is closest to you.

Just about everywhere else, the Club 40 Circuit started with one guy. Call me, I believe I can be off assistance.

Ken Erickson
812-603-8190
Columbus, IN
Old 07-28-2015, 05:35 AM

Thanks Ken,
I appreciate the information. I thought about trying to start my own Club 40 but the club that I joined down here has a field that would probably not qualify due to a significant tree line that would eat a lot of airplanes if it was even attempted. I may be regulated to traveling for events but I am ok with that. I just won't be able to do as many as I would like.

Thanks again!

Chris
Old 07-28-2015, 09:01 AM

Marcus Blanchard belonged to a club in Charleston that was on an old landfill. He ran a 3 pole race there. See if you can find that club and we'll get RCPRO Club 46 Gold going there. I'm working on re-establishing Club 40 in the Charlotte area. Check out the links in my signature below for rules, etc. I think running Club 40 Broze for newcomers would be a good idea.

And there is a great 3 pole facility outside of Greensboro, NC with a new 525' x 60' paved runway. The first event there will be the NMPRA Championship race in the fall, but practice sessions will probably be held at that facility before then.

I have all four colors of Sky Raider Mach II ARF kits in stock ... solid white, yellow, orange, and red.

Looking forward to racing with you.

Check out this site if you need plane information abmshowcase.com

Don - 704-968-2881 and I'm free to talk anytime this week between 8 am and 8 pm except for Friday.

Last edited by DonStegall; 07-28-2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:50 AM

Hi Don,
Thanks for the information. Club 40 Bronze would be a great idea. I would be willing to come up to Charlotte to race. Let me know when you will be holding events and I will try to make it up for a few races. IN the meantime, I will look into the club down here.

Thanks again,

Chris
Old 07-28-2015, 12:36 PM

For Club 40 Bronze, the Thunder Tiger GP42 was the best performing engine. It was discontinued. The O.S. 46LA is now showing as discontinued as well.

So there aren't many solutions for new engines for Bronze. But there are a lot of used OS 40LA and OS 46LA engines floating around.

The NV Big Mig 40 RC may be an option. It is not on the approved list, but some testing could be done. Weight would definitely need to be added up front and/or the servos in the fuselage moved forward. We now allow 2 screw micro servos, so using lighter servos may help.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:45 PM

We used to use the TT40 which I still have one of but it is regulated to trainer duty as I feel its best days are behind it. What about a 46AX or a Magnum equivalent to help with cost?
Old 07-28-2015, 12:52 PM

I just checked Tower and they have a Magnum 46 for 93.99. I also checked Horizon and they are selling Evolution 40s for 84.99. Just suggestions.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:43 PM

.46 ball bearing engines would be Club 46 Gold.

I have one of the Magnum XLS 46 engines. Have not done a teardown, cleaning, and assembly video yet. It has the same mounting pattern as the OS 46 BB engines. Will be doing a break-in video. Working on a some test stand videos at the moment. I have an O.S. 46AXII to do as well.

I recommended Bronze because people tend to need to get used to the course. The bushing engines are in the 70 mph range. We could spec a prop hat slows the planes with 46 BB engines down for a "Intro" class other than Bronze. Some groups do this already.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:56 PM

Thanks again for the info Don. The club that I participated in when I lived in Ohio used the TT40s which really moved the planes around the pylons well. I would be comfortable with something of that caliber for sure. I am not familiar with the Evolution motors but the 40s may be in the same range as the TTs. I cant remember if they are ball bearing or not. Slowing the 46s down for intro sounds like a good idea as well.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:18 PM

Back when I had a Sky Raider Mach II with an O.S. 46AX (AX version 1), I tried this prop APC 12.25x3.75 Sport Propeller and I got speeds in the Bronze range without over-revving the engine. I'll try one again when I get some new planes together.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:28 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Hang onto the TT.40 Pro motor and if you feel the need for speed come to Indiana and race with us at one of our club races or maybe the NAT's.
I agree that the bronze class is the way to get others interested in racing. Soon the higher speed and better flying will have the guys wanting to step it up.
NMPRA guys have tested the .46 engines and the stock versions are not as fast as the TT.40 Pro motors its a pitty that the guy in Taiwan discontinued MFG of the best engine out there.
Note to self....I think it is time for a road trip.
Sparky
Old 07-28-2015, 05:38 PM

Im going to keep the TT40 for sure! I might try to pick up one or two more if I can find them. I have always been an O.S guy when it came to two strokes and was really skeptical when I initially joined club 40 and the TT was my only choice. They really impressed me right off the bat. I felt that the TT was just as user friendly as the O.S engines that I used for my sport models. Anyway, I look forward to getting some racing in sooner than later hopefully this season!

Chris
Old 07-28-2015, 05:58 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Chris,
Ken Erickson is the man if you want to know how to start up a Club 40 race program in your area. Having 2-3 clubs to rotate the events through keeps the workload spread around.
He has done a terrific amount of work here in Indiana. Hoosiers can hold our own with any area in the country when it comes to going fast and turning left which is a direct result of his efforts.
Sparky
Old 07-28-2015, 08:42 PM

Sparky,

I agree, Ken Erickson does a great job helping people getting circuits started. He spends a lot of time on the phone and on the computer communicating with guys that want to get started. The areas that do the best are generally the ones that take his advice.

I also agree that it is better to spread the racing around to a number of clubs unless you have one site that can handle a race per month. Any more than one race per month at a club, or even two months will cause burnout at the clubs in terms of people willing help, and participate.

I was very dismayed when I went to Tower yesterday to get the link for the O.S. 46LA and saw that it was discontinued. I ran the Bronze class at the races in Charlotte in 2008-2009 and even though the numbers were low, it was very beneficial. Barry Reade, the RCPRO Vice President, raced in the Bronze class (known as Club 40 Sport in those days) and now Barry is racing in AMA 426 Quickie and AMA 422 Q40. There should be plenty of used OS 40LA and OS 46LA engines around. I guess I'm going to have to start using the Bay to find them and try to keep them in supply for people that want to run Bronze.

Congratulations on the NATS win. I think you will like what you see in the August NMPRA Newsletter.

Give me a call at 704-968-2881 one of these weekends between 8:00 am and 8:00 pm if you get a chance. I video Skype and Facetime as well.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:39 AM
My Feedback: (13)

Hey Chris,
I am in Johns Island and fly at LCRC, a very low key club. I flew Quickie 500 back in the day. I still build a composite 500 style airplane that I fly all the time. I'd be in if you get something going locally.

Brian-
Old 07-29-2015, 05:14 AM

Chris,

I'll supply you with a set of Portable Pylons if you find a club willing to host races.

Check out the Club 40 course at AMA 540-B.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:39 PM

Thanks for the support guys, I really appreciate it. I will try and find a club that would be willing to host and then contact Ken if I can find enough people willing to give club 40 a try.

Brian,
Let me know if you can find a few more people that would be willing to give it a shot. Unfortunately because I am fairly new to the area, I do not have much of a network. We were running with twelve as a bare minimum in Ohio and it was a lot more fun when the numbers were in the 20's. My number is 571-377-9041. Give me a call sometime if you would like to discuss.

Chris
Old 07-29-2015, 02:01 PM

If you will put on races in Charleston, especially if they are Club 46 Gold or Club 40 Bronze (really 46 as bushing engines up to .46 are allowed) I will be there, I'm not buying any more .40 size ball bearing engines as they are just too much trouble at this point. People who know what the NMPRA is working on will easily understand my position.

I will help and I will come to them. My wife loves Charleston, and it is a VERY easy sell for me to get her to come with me.

Let me know if you need any airframes, or anything else for that matter
Old 07-29-2015, 04:52 PM

Thanks again Don, will do. I will need a new airframe but I want to wait to see what the participation level will be down here before I invest in anything. I used to fly the Skyraider Mach II and loved it. The LA RAcer was ok but my club eventually switched to all Skyraiders with TT 40s.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:28 AM

I didn't realize there was anybody in the Charleston area interested in Pylon other than my son and I.

If anyone wants to talk pylon, or needs help I can be reached at the email or cell phone below.

The field that Don Stegall is referring to above is no longer there. We lost that field several years ago and so the club dispersed and all the members went in different directions and joined other clubs in the area, but none of the other local clubs could hold a 3 pole race anymore.

My son and I are very in tune with the pylon racing here in the United States for both Quickie 500 and Quarter Midget 40.

We actually were just at the 2015 NATS and won the Q500 event this year.

Im not normally on this site, so please contact me directly at either the email or cell phone below and we can talk more about this.

Thanks,

Marcus Blanchard
[email protected]
843-609-5542