Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Club 40
Anyone still racing Club 40 in Ohio >

Anyone still racing Club 40 in Ohio

Notices
Club 40 Discuss all Club 40 flying here.

Anyone still racing Club 40 in Ohio

Old 01-23-2017, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone still racing Club 40 in Ohio

Any club 40 racing going on in Ohio from central to northern part of state this year? Looks like Cleveland area races are history, looking for another group to race with. Even Eire PA area would work for me, or western Pa. HELP me please.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ziggy,

We are still racing Club 40 in Indiana. There will probably be 2 races just north of Kokomo, IN. The rest are in Columbus, IN and Just south of Indy.

We will be at the Nats on Sunday the 16th of July.

We are trying for more.

Ken Erickson
Old 02-03-2017, 08:15 AM

Thanks Ken for reply. Your races are about 5-6 hour drive one way. Not able to make drive, race, and get home same day. Too old for that stuff now.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:54 PM

Ziggy,

Understandable. Ten years ago, when this started, I believed no one would drive more than 2 hours to race these inexpensive airplanes. Several years ago, the Texas and Indiana guys drove to western Arkansas. The Texas guys have come to Muncie for the Nats the past two years.

But, back to your situation. Talk 2 other guys into getting the Sky Raiders and FPs or LAs. Make some Ultra-Lite pylons. Race each other to demonstrate the fun. Let others fly your Sky Raiders to get them hooked. Do the same at other fields. Stay at it for 2 or 3 years.

Our weather was horrible in 2016. Participation was down. Last race of 2015, we had 15 pilots, 8 in Silver and 7 in Bronze.

If you would like, call me. 812-603-8190.

Ken
Old 02-08-2017, 06:40 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Hey Ken,

They also drove to western Alabama.

Hope all is well,
Will Swope
Old 02-08-2017, 07:15 AM

Thank you for reply. I am too old and on fixed income to travel that far, just to race for the fun if it. Looking for something more local to northern Ohio or With in 2-3 hour drive of Cleveland, Ohio. Ken
Old 02-08-2017, 08:25 AM

Will,

Yes, forgive me. I remember that event, but put it in the wrong state. Could have been because I did not make it to that one.

Thanks,

Ken
Old 02-08-2017, 09:05 AM

Ziggy,

I do know about the old and fixed parts. Still, Club 40 was started in Texas by 3 guys, only one of them really crazy. In Indiana, it was started by one guy and others eventually joined in until we had 8 in Silver and 7 in Bronze at our October race in 2015. We did get a big boost when Randy Ritch told Tim Sparks about us. Now, the Bloomington guys are our largest group in our circuit.

In 2016, due to weather and ???? we were lucky to have 7 racers in both classes. It is much more fun with more participants.

Ten years ago, Chuck Waller gave us the "Rolling Matrix", which lets everyone race everyone in the case of a small number of racers. I have a spreadsheet to handle less than 8 participants, if you would want it. When there are more than that, we use the NMPRA program.

There are guys out there who will attest to the fact that, If you call me, I will tell you everything I know. Thankfully, I have learned not to try to do it in one call.

Ken
Old 02-08-2017, 09:14 AM

Ziggy,

Or, we could meet For Lunch in Toledo on Friday, April 7.

Ken
Old 02-08-2017, 11:03 AM

I and a friend will be going to Toledo. Would be happy to see and talk with you at show. Have to set up meeting place and time. We have several weeks to do that. Ken
Old 02-09-2017, 09:31 AM

Ziggy,

Yes, we do have a while. As of now, I plan to be in Toledo before dark on Thursday and leave middle of the after noon on Friday. Most people want to be there for the opening of the Swap Area.

We will keep in touch.

Ken