Community
Search
Notices
Club 40 Discuss all Club 40 flying here.

New LA Racer

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 09:40 PM
skull1971

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New LA Racer

Pat Boone, "Golden Oldies" [:'(] knew there was a reason for hearing protection, just didn't know I'd need barf bags too!!
Old 03-17-2008, 09:51 PM
gunfighter
My Feedback: (1)

yea - all you Yankees need to stay away! It's not really that good here. After all, we only have 41 races on the schedule this year (so far!) [8D]

About the only class we don't have is Giant Scale and who knows??
Old 03-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Fxrs_tim

ORIGINAL: gunfighter

yea - all you Yankees need to stay away! It's not really that good here. After all, we only have 41 races on the schedule this year (so far!) [8D]

About the only class we don't have is Giant Scale and who knows??
Hey Chuck,

How about some warbird racing w/ the WM 46 Mustangs? I'm seriously thinking about getting one and dropping either my YS110 or my Jett 91 in it. With the Jett it might even keep up with the 428s.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:05 PM
skull1971

Hmmm,,, Interesting, tell me more,, WM Mustang? I knew about the AT-6 racers out west. Heard about some guys racing Sundowners with big gas engines.

Oh yeah, Texas blows!! Were all just stuck here and can't find an exit.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:39 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: skull1971

LA Racer is a sport plane, that these guys started racing, FUN AS HELL. The only plane that I think is more fun is a 40 Twist. The Viper is a "Pin it's ears back" racer, it only does one thing well, go fast. If I could only take ONE plane to the field, it would be the Ultra-Stick 40,,,oh,,uhhh. If I had to choose one between the LA R, or Viper, it would have to be the LA, because you can do more with it than just fly in a circle. I'm lucky, or just spoiled, I can take my Viper, Prediator, U Stick, and Funtana, all at the same time, plus my friend who owns the 428's that I fly, brings those out too. I'm spoiled[>:], really just have a big truck, and a great friend.

I guess La 40 it is, i love speed but i'm willing to sacrifice some for a plane i can enjoy flying around other than in circles.. I wouldnt say u are spoiled, just fortunate and a lil lucky i have a hard enough time taking 2 planes so i end up taking one most of the time what kind of truck do you have? and u have a nice friend
Old 03-17-2008, 10:40 PM
gunfighter

Tim,

I would love to do some Warbird racing, but don't think we could get enough pilots right now. I might be wrong though.

Talk it up some and we can see if there is enough interest.

I've got a Lil Toni for the F-1 sport class already (OS FX 91)

BTW - did you get your pattern plane running? I just came across an OS .61 "Double Pumper" that looks like it has never been run. e-mail me if you're interested.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:09 AM
Fxrs_tim

ORIGINAL: gunfighter

Tim,

I would love to do some Warbird racing, but don't think we could get enough pilots right now. I might be wrong though.

Talk it up some and we can see if there is enough interest.

I've got a Lil Toni for the F-1 sport class already (OS FX 91)

BTW - did you get your pattern plane running? I just came across an OS .61 "Double Pumper" that looks like it has never been run. e-mail me if you're interested.
I'll see what I can do to generate some interest. With all of the other racing we have, I imagine it might be kinda difficult to get people to invest in another plane/engine combo. Ya never know tho....

I did get the pattern plane flying a couple weeks ago. I flew it nearly every day for 2 weeks until the wing snapped during a snap roll weekend before last.... I was at Dell and it piled into one of those big-*****ed limestone areas and absolutely destroyed the fuselage and wings. It looks like the sheeting let go on the wings. I guess sitting in an attic/garage in San Antonio for 15 years killed the adhesive. There's a thread in the classic pattern forum on it "Dead Aurora". I've been working hard on the MK Curare to get it up soon.

Let me know about that engine. I need a couple more for the Tipo and Super Curare!!

Tim
Old 03-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Fxrs_tim

The Austin Rockers, courtesy of Jim Duda. L-R, Ken Hopson, Jason Duda, Tim Purcell. Jim is seated, and Kailee (sp?) is the long-haired kid.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79458.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	906989  
Old 03-22-2008, 10:40 AM
skull1971

Well the fleet is growing, one is mine and "Lucky 13" is my best friends. We ran them together yesterday for the first time, man what a blast!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82868.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	910381  
Old 03-22-2008, 02:53 PM
gunfighter

Eric - are you able to fly again?
If so, you now have no excuse for not coming to the ARCA race. Even if you are just a spectator!
You said you need to learn how to run an event!?!
Old 03-22-2008, 04:52 PM
skull1971

Yes I flew yesterday, had fun and no real pain, till my Q25 hit the ground [:@]. I'm already commited to another event on the 5th, that's why I'll miss ARCA show, but after that, it's wide open.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:29 PM
MetallicaJunkie

got my package from gravesrc.com but it was the wrong plane it was the LA FLYER, it was beautifully built i might add, but nonetheless i still called for a return pickup, and they should have the correct one on the way
Old 03-26-2008, 10:40 PM
skull1971

Dude that sux, but thats cool too, that they'll get it right, when you get it together and fly it, you won't be dissapointed. So far I've built 2 of them and can do it in about 5 hours, but I'm solw as hell, and watch out for the steel parts, they're real dirty. What engine ya got for it?
Old 03-27-2008, 12:23 AM
MetallicaJunkie

ill be using a morris/rossi 45, with the mini tuned exhaust.... does it come pre hinged like the la flyer? what dirty steel parts are you talking about? i didnt check out the hardware, i was too disappointed

Sorry to hear about your loss, was it pilot error or malfunction?
Old 03-27-2008, 01:33 AM
skull1971

the control rods and landing gear wires all came with some kind of oil on them, it'll make a mess. If you look rael close you can see a thumb print in the middle of my fuse, it's no big deal really, just something fun to talk about. Both of mine came prehindged, holes drilled for the control horns, it even come with string in the wings, to pull the servo wire throu. I still can't believe the thought and quality that went tnto this little plane. All the racing stuff aside, this is a great little plane, I have 6 flights on mine and have had NO problems at all. I even flopped it in, well stalled it in a head wind, it fell about 10 feet and hit hard, broke the prop. That's it, a prop!! Did the same thing with my H9 P-51 from the same height at the same spot, it was a total loss.

You know you can buy them direct from Airborne, www.airborne-models.com
Plus they have several other planes, and boats, and cars, pretty much a full service company. Man I sound like a salesman or something,, lets see I have this Snake oil here, it cure everything form bad breath to stinky feet, just $19.95 a bottle. Side affect's may include death, or bad cramps, and pain in the entire body, then death.

AS far as my Viper, Thanks, I think it's my fault, may have not plugged in the wing servo. Dosen't really matter (Not to be a smart *****) what's done is done, can't change it now. $35.00 and I get a new fuse and try again. I hope to be able to go back to work soon so I can afforn to get it going again.

What color did you get, Mine was orange, and I pulled it off right away, as you can see, but the black I left on I like the Black. I'd like to see the blue in person too. The green was ok, but that's it Ok.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:45 PM
MetallicaJunkie

im glad to hear its built ford tough i initially did order fro airborne models, but about 20 minutes after i made my online order, i received a phone call, and the man said they wouldnt be instock till the 25th, so i cancelled my order... now that i think bakc maybe i shouldt have.. ohh well

lol snake oil

good luck with your new viper......

i got the blue one, the black was my first choice but it was out of stock, then green and last orange, ill probably leave it stock, i suck at covering
Old 03-28-2008, 03:11 PM
DonStegall

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

I'll probably leave it stock, i suck at covering
I'm still not great at it. But I learned how to get trim on without bubbles all over the place. Get your covering ready. Use some Windex or 91% alcohol and wipe down the part your are going to put the trim on. Wipe it dry. Now spray on some Windex. Place the trim coivering in place. Use a credit card, or better yet, a squeegee made from 1/64" or 1/32" plywood with the corners rounded and the edges rounded. Squeegee the bubbles and Windex out. You don't have to get all of it out. Now set your iron for the tacking temp of the covering. Go over the trim with smooth strokes tacking it down. Then work it down. If you do get any bubbles, just use a pin and ***** them. Then go over them with the iron. Turn the iron up to near the shrinking temp and go over the edges good.

I used to hate plastic coverings. Now I love them. It still takes time. But I can do a plastic covering job in a lot less time than glass, primer, and paint.

If you're in need of a red/white/black LA Racer 40, I have 2 on hand at the moment.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:08 PM
MetallicaJunkie

so i f i were to put some covering on my La Racer, would have to use the same brand of covering they use exclusively?

Thanks Dan IF i do decide to add some covering to my plane ill try the alcohol and windex method, it works great on vinyl decals, so ill eventually give it a try
Old 03-29-2008, 12:07 AM
skull1971

no Ultra-Trim will stick to it just fine, just follow the directions and use an iron to seal it. that's whats on mine, and the black is just plain UltraCote, just was carefull not to shrink it.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Gary L.

That looks alot like my Fly Boy 50, other than the rudder and retracts.
Think I could race with y'all? It only has a Super Tigre .45 and Bission muff.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:36 PM
gunfighter

Sorry Gary, but the only aircraft legal in Club 40 are the World models Sky Raider mach II and the LA Racer by the same company. We only allow .40 engines and they must be "Sport" engines with a retail price of $120.00 or less. (with stock muffler and carb)

The planes / engines are cheap enough - grab one and join in the fun. Maybe you could get a club 40 group going up in your area?!?
Old 03-30-2008, 08:40 PM
Gary L.

I was just joshin, we do have a Q500 here though. The Fly Boy 50 is from the Wing Makers though, same pants, defrant pocket.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:04 PM
skull1971

Don't feel bad Gary, he wouldn't let my Rossi in either. [&o] At least I was gonna put it in a SkyRaider.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:30 PM
Gary L.

LOL........
Old 03-31-2008, 06:12 PM
skull1971

Tell us more about the Q500 ya'll are doing in Weatherford.

AND, we're having a fun/demo day at my field, if you wnat to bring your flyboy come on down. May 10th in New Waverly Tx.

www.tri-countybarnstormers.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.