RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Club 40 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/club-40-491/)
-   -   Club 40 Race in Alabaster! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/club-40-491/9840418-club-40-race-alabaster.html)

Tbatt 07-02-2010 09:45 AM

Club 40 Race in Alabaster!

The Alabaster Radio Control Association will hold its first Club 40 race on July 24. Alabaster is located just south of Birmingham, Alabama.

Novice and Advanced classes will be run (Novice class requires the TT GP 42 engine).

Consessions available.

Get a group together and come out and join the fun!

For more information and directions go to: www.alabasterrc.com

A raffle for a Sky Raider MKII will be held.

Dave Phillips will be the CD. For more info you can email him at [email protected]

Corrected Dave's email address. Not enough l's so I gave him some "L".

BarryReade 07-02-2010 09:55 AM

RE: Club 40 Race in Alabaster!

I guess the club hasn't updated their web site yet.

Will you be there Tim??

Tbatt 07-02-2010 10:13 AM

I'll be there!

I'm bringing the starting clock!

We will be doing a flying start at this race. 30 second countdown and then off we go. It is a lot of fun and usually gets the airplanes together at speed as they cross the starting line. FUN!

BarryReade 07-02-2010 10:30 AM

Air Start in Club 40. Interesting.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...bananahead.gif We use an air start in RCPRO Warbird Racing but don't allow loops to get back on track. I see Doug B. and the guys at Music City Rc has influenced you. I can deal with it and plan on being at the Alabaster and Harvest events.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

Tbatt 07-02-2010 10:43 AM

Doug and I had the same idea about the start but didn't even know each other at the time.

We were doing the flying start with our electric pylon racing here. We used one of my designs called the Blue-Ray. 24 inch wingspan, 200watt electrics = fast and fun.

It's funny that the electric racing died here but took off like crazy in South Africa! I have sent plans to a total of 14 countries. Crazy!

Tbatt 07-02-2010 10:48 AM

Glad to hear that you will be joining us. We have had some really good races.

At the RCRC race in Huntsville we had a four way tie for second place and at our NARCA race we had a three point spread for the first five places! Man, that is fun!

Club-40 is one of the best things to happen around here. People are getting excited about a truely low cost yet exciting form of racing. I'm having a BLAST!

BarryReade 07-02-2010 02:17 PM

Yes, that is what Club 40 is suppose to be all about.  I look forward to meeting the group when I get over there. 

We can also talk your race up at Hodges.  It would be great if you brought a sign and some flyers.  We usually have about 15 flyers in Club 40 at Hodges

THRL-CKER 07-04-2010 12:54 PM

Barry, let me know of any races planed for the middle of October. I will be in northeastern Georgia for a week at that time and would love to attend one.

Jim

BarryReade 07-04-2010 02:11 PM

I will keep an eye open and make sure it is posted here on RCU.

JohnMcGowan 07-06-2010 02:44 PM

I hope to try and make it down to our Alabaster friends and give this pylon racing stuff a try.
I have a sky raider on order from Homewood Toy and Hobby and will have a used TT40 pro on it. So is this setup with a TT40 considered the Advanced class? ( I've never participated in pylon racing before). Sounds fun though.... I'll just have to be sure and watch that young Dave Phillips though (aka DP3). He might try and slip a nitrous bottle in his plane somewhere, LOL [sm=lol.gif]

John

dphill2 07-06-2010 08:31 PM

Hey Tim, My E mail address is [email protected]

Tbatt 07-07-2010 08:59 AM

Got your email address corrected.

I should have done a cut and paste but I was afraid the cut would cost me a lap..........

dphillips3 07-08-2010 11:40 AM

Mcgowan, you may be in luck I am gonna be out of town that weekend, but I will let dad borrow my bottle. Besides you are one to talk, I remember the last contest you had that cheated up fun fly plane!:D
I wish I could make it but my wife seems to think a pylon race isn't part of a vacation.

DP#3

JohnMcGowan 07-08-2010 12:06 PM

HAHAHAAHA! Yeah bro, I need ALL the help I can get! :)
Do I need to contact your boss and set her straight?[sm=punching.gif]
Believe me David, I know all about their thinking on our hobby. Mine is having surgery next week and that may or may not put a damper on me coming down to fly.... I'll just have to play it by ear. I am still waiting on my plane to get here, Bo says it may arrive Friday, or it could be Monday. With her being under the knife next week, thats going to leave me not a lot of time to even fly the plane for the first time. So where are you finding the best cg is to be on the plane David?

And where are you guys going on vacation? You going on a tarball collecting party down at the gulf? Wherever you go, be careful and have some fun!![sm=thumbup.gif]
John

ORIGINAL: dphillips3

Mcgowan, you may be in luck I am gonna be out of town that weekend, but I will let dad borrow my bottle. Besides you are one to talk, I remember the last contest you had that cheated up fun fly plane!:D
I wish I could make it but my wife seems to think a pylon race isn't part of a vacation.

DP#3

dphill2 07-08-2010 09:41 PM

I got news for ya, there are three from B'ham club you better keep an eye on !!
Moosa, McGowen and Comer !!! They will all bend the rules.......
But I can't wait to banking and yank ! Gentleman Start ya mota.
We have set the course up and did a mock race last saturday and everything look's good.
Sooooo come on down we are gona race the 24th July
Dave....:D

JohnMcGowan 07-08-2010 10:19 PM

Hi there DP2, how ya doing these days for an "old man"? LOL
Tell me, what would be some starting props that I need to pick and try? Let me guess, you're going to tell me to start out with a about a 16x5 and then go to a 8x3, right ? HAHAHAAH
And thats MR McGowan to you! Now go take your geritol and get you and good nights sleep, ok big daddy?
All kidding aside, I hope you are doing well David. ;)
John

ORIGINAL: dphill2

I got news for ya, there are three from B'ham club you better keep an eye on !!
Moosa, McGowen and Comer !!! They will all bend the rules.......
But I can't wait to banking and yank ! Gentleman Start ya mota.
We have set the course up and did a mock race last saturday and everything look's good.
Sooooo come on down we are gona race the 24th July
Dave....:D

Tbatt 07-09-2010 08:32 AM

John,

We have done quite a bit of prop work and found that the "perfect" prop depends a lot on your bank & yank style. Start off with an APC 10x5. With the engine well broken in. Don't expect good runs after only a couple of tanks of fuel. The TT Pro engine takes awhile to loosen up. It took me all of last season to really get the engine dialed in and the correct prop selected. Get a gallon of fuel through the engine before you race if possible. Just about everyone that has had an issue with the TT had not had much run time on it. It is a really sweet motor that should last a long time.

These are all good props that we have used but the right one will depend on your style or in my case, lack of style.

APC props
10.5x4.5
10x5
9.5x6
9x6.5
9x6

Master Airscrew
10x5
10x6N (new narrow blade prop)

Good luck!

JohnMcGowan 07-09-2010 09:13 AM

Good morning Tbatt... ( whats your first name anyway?:)...,
naw man, I was just kidding ol' Dave3 about the prop sizes... we like to give each other a hard time, LOL, but he's a good guy indeed. But thank you for listing your recommendations since Im going to have to buy some props anyway.
I rcvd my TT40 in the mail yesterday that I had bought off fleabay at A GREAT PRICE and its never been fired off!! The seller was selling it for his dad who is no longer able to fly due to health reasons and had it listed as used, but its in new condition and the pinch at the top of the cyl is superb!! Its the older straight out needle style, not the angled needle, but hey, thats ok too! The muffler that came with the engine is not a stock one and looks like he was configuring it for a pusher plane, the front half IS stock, the back half is some type of aftermarket cup and just has a hole in its side for the exhaust to exit out of, nothing that I have seen before. I think our club Pres Frank Comer says he has a muffler that I can use for the club racing... Thanks Frank!!!
The TT line I have to say is just about my alltime favorite brand of engines, I have several of the 46 and 61 pro's and they are very hard to beat!
Tbatt, have you ever been to the Bham RC Club out in Morris, Al- just North of Gardendale? That's home base for me. And I know exactly what you are saying when you talk about lack of style on flying,... hey, thats MY line I use... just ask either Dave, LOL

Now Im just waiting on a phone call from the hobby shop to tell me the planes are in! ;)
Thanks,
John

Tbatt 07-09-2010 09:28 AM

John,

Tbatt is Tim Batt (aka. Battman).

Yes, I have been to the B'ham club sites but that was back in the dark ages of the SEMPRA Q-500 days. I'm not sure which club field I was at but I came down to race and work several times. I also raced with a club over in Leeds and Alabaster. If racing was going on I tried to be there! I even went to the Atlanta area to get embarrased......

Dave & Dave and I met at our Club 40 race in Harvest (just outside of Huntsville). They impressed me on how fast they could destroy an airplane. Wow! I thought I was good.......

We had a great time and I loaned them my backup airplane (after giving it the last rites). Man, we had fun until Dave beat me in a heat race WITH MY OWN AIRPLANE. We need a rule about that....

I'm having a wonderful time meeting lots of great people that enjoy this hobby as much as I do. If only my wife understood. After thirty something years you would think that she would have it figured out by now. I'm crazy!

Tim

JohnMcGowan 07-09-2010 10:13 AM

Ok then , HELLO Tim! ;)

I think I married your wife's sister, mine tolerates it but thats about as far as it goes. I wonder why they are like that? LOL
Both the Phillip's are good as gold in my book and are good folks.

So what is your flying style on these birds? Ive never seen a race with these before so it will be a steep learning curve for me Im sure. Do you hug the pylon tight or do you do the wider sweeping turns? Im gonna go out on a limb here and say that I will most likely try and fly a little wide until I get the feel of things. Do you run lots of expo on your tx? Expo is my friend for sure!!! They dont call me "shaky thumbs McGowan" for nothing. LOL

JohnMcGowan 07-09-2010 10:31 AM

Another question for you please Tim,
on the stock pushrods, are they like most of the ChingChang metal that comes with arfs nowadays that are too soft and will bend if you look at them wrong, do you change any of that hardware out for a stiffer wire? And whats your take on the supplied fuel tank?

Thanks,
John

dphillips3 07-09-2010 10:35 AM

Hey, we are fast with everything. I destroyed my airplane so fast I was a half a lap ahead of it before I realized it was in pieces. LOL!!!
All kidding aside I have flown everything from scale to pattern and club 40 has to be the most exciting flying I have ever been a part of. Even if you don't get to fly in it come watch it! It will not get boring. I promise.

John, my balance was right on the main spar, with no weight or moving the batt. etc.
The neet thing about the sky raider is they are sooooo easy to put together I built my "new" airplane in one night and flew it the next day. And if I can give one word of advice, Don't get too extravagant on your covering scheme, do a stripe or something to make it different because a nicely striped up airplane that you spent three nights doing your signature covering scheme on will hit the pylon,ground,or competitor just as easily as one you threw together. I found out the hard way. lol

DP#3

JohnMcGowan 07-09-2010 10:42 AM

Rgr that Dave,... yes , these things are like our ssc combat planes , they all have an expiration date stamped on them somewhere !![sm=cry_smile.gif]

So where are you heading on vacation brudderman?

dphillips3 07-09-2010 10:50 AM

Mcgowan, you go ahead and fly "round the bend" you will be a lap behind.

As far as th push-rods they are strong enough that when I struck the turn indicator "pylon" It stripped one servo and broke the control horn of the other one. UGH!

DP#3

dphillips3 07-09-2010 10:52 AM

Vagiania, then on to D.C. in-laws stays up there, I would rather kick TAR-BALLS. But what do ya do?