Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Hobby People nightmare

Old 11-01-2010, 03:23 PM
warbird addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby People nightmare

I called hobby people in CA to order the BH 90" corsair on friday afternoon the girl took my info and card # after a pause she says yep ok your card went thru we'll ship it right out.
2 hours later I get a call from them saying my card has been declined twice NONSENSE way more than enough to cover $919 in the account, I called them back today to find out what the status is and the guy tells me the order is on hold pending review as the card was declined, SO I call my bank they told me what I already knew in that they had placed the funds on hold as per Hobby Peoples request friday night when they ran the card (ie) they essentially got paid, so I call HP back and he says theres nothing he can do it's stuck in the system he'd have to cancel the original order and run yet a second order and request for funds as they cannot ship the first order because it shows as card declined in their system which is an absolute lie as my bank account shows absolutely zero declined transactions at all
back and forth back and forth I told them to shove it and cancel my order now I have $919 on hold till thursday and hopefully the transfer doesn't go thru and send them $$$
for a plane I'm never going to see, the guy I spoke to was a real prince to deal with the sob acted like I was trying to run a game on him I finally told him they were as screwed up as a soup sandwich and I'd never order from them again all I can say is buyer beware.
Anybody else have problems with them? or is it just me
Old 11-01-2010, 06:45 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Hobby People nightmare

Why not just work to get the issue, whatever it was, resolved?  Sounds like you acted as though it was personally offensive to you to have a problem with your card.  That's more than a bit silly.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:58 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mike, didn't you hear? People aren't allowed to make mistakes any longer,, try to catch up bud
Old 11-01-2010, 07:21 PM
warbird addict

I verified with the bank that it was no fault of mine my card cleared when it was initially run thru read the post the sales rep verified when I placed the order that it had cleared then called me back 2 hours later and said there was a problem which according to my bank there was no problem the transaction cleared and posted immediately basicly they got the money and 2 hours later they are playing dumb like somethings wrong with my card , thats funny my bank says otherwise again read the original post in it's entirety and you'll understand I placed the order friday and the payment posted friday same time, and my account is minus $919 but yet here it is monday and they still claim my card is declined and I'm still out $919 paid to hobby people as of friday evening EST it all spells out pretty simple I'm taking it in the ***** for $919 and getting nowhere fast after a dozen and a half phone calls between HP and my bank who would you believe a retailer you've never dealt with before or your own bank you've done buisness with for 20 years thats never once lied to you
Old 11-01-2010, 07:34 PM
scale only 4 me

Hobby People. Formally Hobby Shack has been around for over 30 years, I bought from them for years when I lived in So Cal, they have 6-7 Brick and Mortar Retail stores. They aren't out to screw you, it some kinda mistake that will get worked out,, you getting all worked up isn't going to help.

A buddy of mine told me Sunday, his bank call him and asked if he was in New York on a spending spree,, Apparently someone charged over $4,500 in some restaurant on his card, He didn't throw a fit, It will all work out.

Chillax,,, have a beer,, Life is Good
Old 11-01-2010, 07:40 PM
MikeL

They're both working for you at that point.  Let them do their jobs and sort it out.  HP wants the sale and your bank wants the transaction, too.  Glitches happen.  I'd have sat back and let the two of them resolve it.  Whether that means figuring out where the transaction got hung up and fixing it or canceling the transaction and doing it again, no big deal.

You're without a model you wanted and your funds have been tied up for almost a week.  How did your actions and choices lead to anything other than you losing out and obviously being very angry?  Patience and understanding go a lot further than anger and accusations.  I don't think for a moment that anyone was ripping you off, or that a large distributor would say "hey, let's take this guy for a ride for $919!"  That's a small fraction of their daily sales.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:37 AM
warbird addict

The point of the whole post is that it is or should have been an extremely simple thing for them to accomplish, take the phone order, run the card which they did ,confirm that it cleared with me which they did, and ship my stuff which isn't going to happen, my only recourse at this point is to cancel the order and hope the money shows back up in my account as the transaction is "stuck" as they put it, in their system due to my card being declined which according to my bank did Not decline it posted and cleared immediately when they asked for it on friday.
I called HP to ask them if there was some kind of paper I could fax them as proof that the payment went thru and got absolutely nowhere with them i felt like was talking to a cement block.
I'm glad you guys have good luck with them more power to ya, me I will never deal with them again they screwed the pooch and dumped it in my lap to deal with and offered me absolutely nothing in the way of a solution, if you ask me thats a pi$$ poor buisness with customer service thats just as bad
Old 11-02-2010, 08:32 AM
scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: warbird addict

The point of the whole post is that it is or should have been an extremely simple thing for them to accomplish, take the phone order, run the card which they did ,confirm that it cleared with me which they did, and ship my stuff which isn't going to happen, my only recourse at this point is to cancel the order and hope the money shows back up in my account as the transaction is ''stuck'' as they put it, in their system due to my card being declined which according to my bank did Not decline it posted and cleared immediately when they asked for it on friday.
I called HP to ask them if there was some kind of paper I could fax them as proof that the payment went thru and got absolutely nowhere with them i felt like was talking to a cement block.
I'm glad you guys have good luck with them more power to ya, me I will never deal with them again they screwed the pooch and dumped it in my lap to deal with and offered me absolutely nothing in the way of a solution, if you ask me thats a pi$$ poor buisness with customer service thats just as bad
What was this then?
he says theres nothing he can do it's stuck in the system he'd have to cancel the original order and run yet a second order and request for funds as they cannot ship the first order because it shows as card declined in their system
Seams to me if you what have done what he suggested the plane you wanted would be on the way right now

good luck
Old 11-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Cyclic Hardover

I called hobby people in CA to order the BH 90'' corsair on friday afternoon the girl took my info and card # after a pause she says yep ok your card went thru we'll ship it right out.
2 hours later I get a call from them saying my card has been declined twice NONSENSE way more than enough to cover $919 in the account, I called them back today to find out what the status is and the guy tells me the order is on hold pending review as the card was declined, SO I call my bank they told me what I already knew in that they had place
I the funds on hold as per Hobby Peoples request friday night when they ran the card (ie) they essentially got paid, so I call HP back and he says theres nothing he can do it's stuck in the system he'd have to cancel the original order and run yet a second order and request for funds as they cannot ship the first order because it shows as card declined in their system which is an absolute lie as my bank account shows absolutely zero declined transactions at all
back and forth back and forth I told them to shove it and cancel my order now I have $919 on hold till thursday and hopefully the transfer doesn't go thru and send them $$$
for a plane I'm never going to see, the guy I spoke to was a real prince to deal with the sob acted like I was trying to run a game on him I finally told him they were as screwed up as a soup sandwich and I'd never order from them again all I can say is buyer beware.
Anybody else have problems with them? or is it just me

I agree with you. There is no reason for your funds to be on hold. There use to be forums here i recall with members whoi were reps of certain companies. Not sure if it is around or not but nothing will bring down a companyfaster than this website since it is the number one RC site they all go to to see what we're saying, There is always someplace else.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:29 AM
MikeL

ORIGINAL: Cyclic Hardover
I agree with you. There is no reason for your funds to be on hold.
It sounds like he used a debit card rather than a credit card, given that his money is on hold rather than a chunk of his available credit being on hold. As a consumer, a person should know how these things work before they use them. Most mail order companies now place a hold initially rather than a charge. They place the charge once the item ships. It used to be that many companies would place a charge at the time of the order, rather than at the time of shipping. This is usually viewed as an undesirable practice.

Debit cards are just a bad idea, IMO. In situations like this you can end up without access to your money for however long it takes the hold to expire. That's not usually a function of the vendor, either. They cancel the hold when a person cancels the order and it's up to the bank's policies as for how quickly it's removed from the account.

A person needs to know how their card works before they use it. If they don't, unhappiness results.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:35 AM
carrellh

I have never dealt with Hobby People via telephone. I have ordered through their web site with no issues.
And, even though many have had no issues, it does not change the fact that your experience was not good.
I agree that your money should not be 'on hold' if the order was cancelled but have no idea how electronic payment processing actually works.

The comment that you should have followed this course, cancel the original order and run yet a second order and request for funds, would not work for me if the card was my debit card. I may have $900 in that account at any given time but rarely have $1800 in it.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:27 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

One thing to think about is even if your card is not actually charged... just the act of getting an approval (not the same as a charge) will put your funds on hold for a few days...
This is the credit card company and not the vendor
Old 11-02-2010, 02:45 PM
warbird addict

So you're telling me and everybody else here that you would have given them yet another $919 with no guarantee that you were going to get your original $919 back therefore paying $1838 for the plane, I see it makes perfect sense now you that explain it that way, LOL
By the way I used a debit card so all of my transactions are good as cash in hand and with over 5K in that account I know as does my bank that there was no declined transaction

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

The point of the whole post is that it is or should have been an extremely simple thing for them to accomplish, take the phone order, run the card which they did ,confirm that it cleared with me which they did, and ship my stuff which isn't going to happen, my only recourse at this point is to cancel the order and hope the money shows back up in my account as the transaction is ''stuck'' as they put it, in their system due to my card being declined which according to my bank did Not decline it posted and cleared immediately when they asked for it on friday.
What was this then?
he says theres nothing he can do it's stuck in the system he'd have to cancel the original order and run yet a second order and request for funds as they cannot ship the first order because it shows as card declined in their system
Seams to me if you what have done what he suggested the plane you wanted would be on the way right now

good luck
Old 11-02-2010, 03:58 PM
scale only 4 me

Your card has no fraud protection?

Might have helped explain things if you had stated you used a Debit Card in the first place, That changes the game somewhat and explains your thinking, but it seams there is no overcoming your fear of being charged twice for one plane apparently. Why don't you let us know when your account gets credited back if it hasn't already.

I think this thread better warns of using a debit card vs. ordering from Hobby People
Old 11-02-2010, 05:14 PM
MikeL

Debit cards are just a bad idea in general.  They offer some of the convenience of a credit card, but few of the real advantages.  There's no way on Earth that I'd ever use a debit card.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:15 PM
warbird addict

no I don't think it does it boils back to HP not being able to handle a simple and fundemental task and then laying it on their customer to deal with rather than admit their mistake and handle it in such a way that their customer is satisfied with the transaction, thats called good buisness
Old 11-02-2010, 05:28 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

I remember buying stuff from the hobby shack stores in the late 70's, they are a reputable company, without a doubt. I would have given them a chance to fix the problem, merchants use a company to process checks, CC, debit cards, etc. they are the usually the source of the problems. I ordered a few engines from HP last year using a debit card, no problems, I would suggest you give them a chance to correct the problem you have here.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:43 PM
warbird addict

They've been given a half dozen chances and phone calls
I'm in buisness for myself and the first and fundemental rule of buisness is NEVER turn your back and let YOUR screw up become your customers problem let alone ask them to pay for something twice because you screwed up with no explaination of when or if they'll be reimbursed for the original transaction, which is what they are trying to do with me
due to their little system glitch it may or may not pull the funds for the original transaction
and if it does it may or may not show as completed if it doesn't show as completed even though my bank paid them I'm taking it in the pants for the $919 or atleast thats the way I understand it as it was explained to me so if people have a hard time understanding my reluctance give them another fistful of $$$ I don't know what to tell you
Old 11-03-2010, 01:54 PM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

One thing to think about is even if your card is not actually charged... just the act of getting an approval (not the same as a charge) will put your funds on hold for a few days...
This is the credit card company and not the vendor
Exactly.

In Virginia there are four steps to credit card processing

1. Authorization (approval)
2. Batching (Merchant stores authorizations and sends the batch to receive payment)
3. Clearing (The batch is sent through the card network to distribute to each issues) i.e (batch goes to VISA to reach Capitol One)
4. Funding (the merchant is payed after the acquirer subtracts it's fee)

I'm guessing the transaction was on hold in step 3.

Never mind, I see a debt card was used. Totally different process.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:57 PM
warbird addict

plenty of funds available over 5K in the account, problem was on their end not mine
Old 11-03-2010, 02:02 PM
frieshoo

This sounds like the problem and solution from ABOUT.COM

The "Oops" Scenario
The way debit card purchases work is that the retailer rings up your sale, swipes your card, receives an approval code, and the bank then puts the amount of the purchase into a "holding zone" until the sale is processed through your account. You in return deduct the amount from your checking account balance. Everyone is happy, the retailer has a promise of payment, you did not have to show a ton of identification, and your bank will probably make a small amount from your transaction.

As you gather your packages to leave the store, you suddenly hear an, "Oops!" from the salesperson. She informs you that she over-charged you for an item and needs to correct her mistake. You return your sales receipt to her, she punches in a few things on the register, offers you a new receipt with the correct charges, and everyone smiles and you leave to go to the next store.

Time to Back Up!
When you hear the word "Oops!" caution lights should go off in your head! Anytime a debit card purchase is entered, your money is going to be "held" until the sale is processed. What is happening in many incidences is that sales people are not recognizing the difference of credit card purchases versus debit card purchases. What you, the consumer, needs to know is that the two are very different and errors cannot be processed in the same way.

When making error corrections many retailers will do a "void transaction" which cancels the sale and prevents it from being processed. This system works fine with credit cards but with debit card transactions, once an approval code is obtained your money is going to be held. A "voided transaction" will not be removed until released by the retailer, which can sometimes take up to 30 days. That means those funds, may possibly, be out of your reach.

The Solution
Mistakes are going to happen so be prepared and know how to best protect your money for any corrections that may need to be processed. What is the correct process? Immediately, before any other transaction is keyed, ask for a "return" procedure to be completed and not a "voided" procedure. A return will be deducted from your account just as a sale is automatically charged to your account. No waiting period or "holding" of your funds should occur.

Make certain that you receive a copy of the "return credit" from the sales person and add the money back into your account. Correct terminology is crucial. Inspect your receipt and make certain you see the word "credit" and not "void."
Old 11-03-2010, 02:03 PM
frieshoo

plenty of funds available over 5K in the account, problem was on their end not mine
I agree. I bet they didn't know you were using a Debt Card, and confused the whole situation.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:13 PM
warbird addict

My card is a buisness card it processes the same way be it credit or debit the only difference being if it's credit I don't see the deduction for 3 days if it's debit it's immediate
I dunno I've never had a failed transaction in over 20 years with THOUSANDS of transactions to my credit including this one I fail to see how I did wrong.
It don't matter anyway I cancelled the order and will never do buisness with them again based purely on the response from them regarding their screw up and their unwillingness
to offer me a solution short of me paying for it twice with no guarantees at all.
My purpose for the post was to give a heads up to fellow flyers aimed at saving them the same possible grief, red tape and non commital that I've been put thru
it is just a heads up take it for what its worth I'm done trying to defend my position for looking out for everybody else that shares a common interest
by posting my experience with a retailer that in my opinion didn't treat me very well , just trying to look out for fellow flyers what you do with it is your buisness, I did my part to give you the heads up
Old 11-04-2010, 05:51 AM
guapoman2000

Warbird Addict,

Thanks so much for this thread and warning of possible issues with this vendor!

Appreciate your time!

Guapoman2000
Old 11-04-2010, 08:35 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Life must be pretty good if this constitutes a nightmare. I mean if this is your biggest problem you should consider yourself blessed.

I think your accountant's worst nightmare is you using a business card to buy toys. As a business person I think your worst nightmare is some impatient customer posting trash on the Interwebs because of a computer glitch with the CC company.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.