Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Why aren't there more women in RC flying?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Why aren't there more women in RC flying?

Old 08-03-2003, 02:54 AM
mrjones30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why aren't there more women in RC flying?

I have been to a few clubs and, (Other then men dragging there wives) I was wondering why aren't there any women fliers? I think that would be interesting to see more women at the
clubs, What do you think?
Old 08-03-2003, 03:58 AM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

I agree, thats why I just bought my wife a GP DR-1

actually she wanted it? she doesnt fly, doesnt go to
the field with me, but loved that plane? so I bought it
for her, she will buy her/me the engine for it

I of course will fly it, and will teach her to fly it as well.
Now I know it is not a trainer, and that doesnt bother me,
but I believe she can

Todd
Old 08-03-2003, 09:38 AM
nascarjoe

Default Re: Why aren't there more women in RC flying?

Originally posted by mrjones30
I have been to a few clubs and, (Other then men dragging there wives) I was wondering why aren't there any women fliers? I think that would be interesting to see more women at the
The other day, my instructor asked a flier's girlfriend to fly an LT-40. BTW, this instructor doesn't take no for an answer.
Thing is, the girl would not take yes for an answer and the more he insisted in simply just holding the tx while the plane was in the air, the more she resisted even doing that. So the instructor put the LT-40 in a shallow turn and set the tx on the ground and causually walked over to the girl to chat a bit. The plane made several very slow circles for a minute or two totally on its own. The idea was to show her how easy flying RC planes was.

She said that flying RC planes was "boring" and that she just wasn't interested at all. BTW, this had happened with other women who were at the field. It seems once they had declared that they weren't interested or whatever, they were stubbornly determined NOT to take the tx. My instructor said to just take the tx for 30 seconds just to get the idea of what it's all about, yet these women would not even do that. But he did manage to get some women to finally take him up on his offer (just to shut him up) and lo and behold, once they made a few assisted turns, suddenly, they became VERY INTERESTED!!

So when someone claims they are not interested, what they may be really saying is they are afraid. You have to admit that some beginners and/or instructors makes it much more difficult than it really is.

nascarjoe
Lighthouse Hobbies
Olcott, NY
Old 08-03-2003, 10:06 AM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Default Re: Why aren't there more women in RC flying?

Originally posted by mrjones30
The same reason that there are not more in 1:1 flying. If you can figure that out, you will have your answer.

Why are there not more men in garden clubs? My wife belongs to one of about four in a county of 20,000. I don't know of a single member that is male!

Dan
Old 08-03-2003, 10:39 AM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

The majority of men in a typical club are old guys with a beer gut hanging down who show their butt crack when trying to start their engine, and what woman wants to see that.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:32 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's like I've said before...

For the same reason there aren't any guys selling Mary Kay or Tupperware.
Old 08-03-2003, 01:46 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Despite what some would tell you there really is a difference between men and women.

Here are a few links where the answer may be found.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...ighlight=women

Ericc
Old 08-03-2003, 02:50 PM
mrjones30

Default Hmmmmmm

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthrea...highlight=women

It appears to me that there are some women in the hobby and they are builders...WOW!!!! that's saying a lot. Already the guys are trying to get there flirt on. It would be refreshing to see EVERYONE at the hobby, (Kids, Women..etc) I will grab a lady friend of mine and see if I can get her hooked. We will see....
Old 08-03-2003, 03:21 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Some do, most don't. Most girls are not interested in greasy airplanes. Bummer!
Old 08-03-2003, 03:31 PM
ProfLooney

Default women

I know of 3 women in the hobby that are really into it. one is a friend in VA shes building a ziroli stuka and when thats done going to build a Ziroli DC3 for her hubby who used to fly them she loves the building. another gal is in Alabama buildering herself a bates 1/4 scale dewatoine 520 and a local gal here is on her second plane which are sport planes there are more than you think out there but even though women are in the minority it is because this hobby is spread out across the country so the women are spread out 1 or 2 here or there thus we dont see them as often. my wife likes to come to the field and watch and it is because of her i get to goto scale masters to watch this year as she suggested it. she wants to learn to fly one day it is just getting her to take the time to do it he he she is too busy running around with her sis. but once i get this hurri monster and spit done she will be out to the field for the trials and stuff. she just wants me to spend more time enjoying myself right now.

Joe
Old 08-03-2003, 03:51 PM
mrjones30

Actually when I first started this post I didn't realize that they were ANY women at all in the hobby but I realize that they are and some of them build better airplanes then us Those women that decided to get into RC airplanes should be commended because they are "thinking outside of the box" a lot of women (Like Flyboy mentioned) don't like greesey airplanes. Personally I like and admire a woman who doesn't mind getting her hands dirty every now and then.....
Old 08-03-2003, 04:07 PM
Greyhawk

Originally posted by Taildrager
The majority of men in a typical club are old guys with a beer gut hanging down who show their butt crack when trying to start their engine, and what woman wants to see that.
Well said.

Same reason my son doesn't embrace what goes on at the flying field. Let's face it guys, despite the friendly atmosphere here on RCU, much (not all) of the interaction that goes on at the field is not very welcoming - Can you say "Good 'ol Boys.?" Sometimes i think the "C" in R/C stands for "Clique."
Old 08-03-2003, 04:21 PM
ProfLooney

Default outside the box

Well the one thing that really got me is I knew of a lot of women flyers that flew stuff like trainers and 4*'s but when this gal started emailing me for tips and help on her stuka i was amazed that a gal was really into scale and was building something she was wanting to all out detail and then my jaw dropped when she said she wanted to do a full decked out DC3 in the airline scheme her hubby flew I just cant wait to see her stuka pics and really cant wait to see the dc3

Joe
Old 08-03-2003, 04:45 PM
mrjones30

Originally posted by Taildrager:

That might be true but that's changing...I'm far from old, (I don't think I will say that I'm old even at 80 years old.. ) and I don't have a beer gut. In my opinion when I'm at the field it's suppose to be about R/C flying not who looks like what. If I want to go and check out the sites I will go to a Local Dance club and see all that I want to see.

Personally, I'm new to R/C but once I get the experience and a few planes under my belt I will NEVER turn someone down who has a question about R/C Planes or wants to learn how to fly. I will try to help them out as much as I can, We should ALL be that way, The Hobby would be better off.
Old 08-03-2003, 04:51 PM
mrjones30

ProfLooney: Well the one thing that really got me is I knew of a lot of women flyers that flew stuff like trainers and 4*'s but when this gal started emailing me for tips and help on her stuka i was amazed that a gal was really into scale and was building something she was wanting to all out detail and then my jaw dropped when she said she wanted to do a full decked out DC3 in the airline scheme her hubby flew I just cant wait to see her stuka pics and really cant wait to see the dc3
She must be a great gal, please encourage her ProfLooney. I'm sure she gets a lot of criticism because she likes R/C.
Old 08-03-2003, 04:53 PM
ProfLooney

Default great gal

Naw she dont she did have an accident earlier this year and tried building before recovering and had to redo it but she said the second one whipped together

Joe
Old 08-03-2003, 10:56 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

It would be nice if more women would be in the hobby. I would think that men would be more receptive to women than other men, but I think that while most clubs try to be sociable, some clubs do not. If the woman said no, I would not try to force her, but find other ways that she can contribute and let it grow on her.

TO most fliers that belong to clubs, this is a social hobby. If there was a social aspect that intrigued women, there would be more women involved. I visited a club in Ocala that had a womans function and the members wives belonged. I didn't know what to think about it but I spoke to a couple of women during my visit last year and they found the woman's function exciting.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:56 AM
JanetC

Hello There Mr. Jones. This is an interesting post. I will tell you truthfully from my experience, I once stopped by a flying field with one of my girlfriends and watched for a while. When I approached the Pilot who happened to also be the club founder, I was told basically to shell out 200 dollars or so, and I HAD TO BUY a particular aircraft, and THEN get in line to be taught how to fly it and it wasnt free either. I think I was deliberately chased off. It wasnt my idea of a good time
Old 08-04-2003, 01:21 AM
TallDude.
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

When I was getting back into RC (after a 20 year break), I took my wife to a flying field.. a friend of ours let her fly his giant scale road runner on a buddy box, and she's been addicted to RC ever since..

I now blame this friend on us being broke all the time.. but we're happy!! LOL!
Old 08-04-2003, 02:01 AM
mrjones30

Default Were sorry!!!

Hello:

Myself as well as all of the fliers in R/C apologize for what happened. Depending on the club and the flying site, you just might get that kind of treatment. Don't let it discourage you from enjoying the hobby that you know you enjoy, (If not why would you go there in the first place). If that particular site didn't meet your standards they're plenty that do. Go somewhere else, if not make sure you talk to someone different next time you go to that flying site. All of us R/C guys don't act that way, in fact, if you hang around this site for a little while you'll find out that there are some very nice guys that will help you out in all of your R/C endeavors. This place has helped me out a lot.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:24 AM
Wet-Tile
My Feedback: (1)

i think it would be great to see more women out there fiying. i cant even drag my wife to the field.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:11 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

One of the things you learn about this hobby is that it appeals to some people, and definately does not appeal to others. Guys largely grow up with airplanes for toys, and girls largely don't. I don't doubt that there are many women who would enjoy the hobby if properly exposed.

That said, I kind of like things the way they are. I go to the field to relax and be around my friends. If everyone's wife/daughter was out there it would markedly change the dynamics. I have a feeling that some of the guys who participate suddenly wouldn't anymore.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:12 PM
scottrc

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by JanetC
Hello There Mr. Jones. This is an interesting post. I will tell you truthfully from my experience, I once stopped by a flying field with one of my girlfriends and watched for a while. When I approached the Pilot who happened to also be the club founder, I was told basically to shell out 200 dollars or so, and I HAD TO BUY a particular aircraft, and THEN get in line to be taught how to fly it and it wasnt free either. I think I was deliberately chased off. It wasnt my idea of a good time
Don't feel too bad, sounds like he treated you like a newbie and not like a girl. That is a typical response from a club that is not seeking members and is brand loyal ie: you can only fly PT 40s with OS engines on JR radios.

And Crazy Eddie is our only instructor and he charges $30.00/hr and $50.00 to land your airplane.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:25 PM
scottrc

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A couple a reasons I hear to why women don't like RC flying:

Ticks, bees, and other bugs that love to have you for lunch.
Snakes, mice, and other critters that live at the field.
Grease, oil, and nitro covering your body.
Loud noise
Drooling
Belching
Whining
Hot dogs, Burgers, chips cooked off an open grill that had a family of rats living in it.
Blood
Paint fumes
Glue fumes
Power tools
Body oder
Sunstroke, heatstroke, windblown hair, frostbite.
Plumbers butt
Crazy Eddie's stare.
and.....

The Outhouse / Bush

Come to think of it, now I know what I hate about RC flying.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:09 PM
mrjones30

WOW!!! not even I would go to a flying site like that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.