Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

So many little bugs in this site now....

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

So many little bugs in this site now....

Old 12-18-2010, 01:23 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Default So many little bugs in this site now....

I've been trying to use this site more lately, and apparently there's been big changes recently in servers and such. Well.. there's been big changes in how everything operates too. Nothing is consistent anymore. Even trying to view a pic is a test of patience. I tried replying to a thread tonight, simply done in the the "quick reply" box at the bottom.. I got a page that said "sorry your session timed out"..along with some possible causes..even alluding to my server being the problem..etc.. .it was a simple quick reply.. I mean..come on.

I tried to log-in yesterday(well 2 days ago now), and it wouldn't even open the home page.. nothin.. zip, zilch.. nadda.. useless....several times...I closed the browser, opened the browser, then I just let my browser run in its' "finding" mode.. and the site didn't come up for an hour, so I shut down the browser... Then last night I figured I'd try again..it opened up immediately and I happily surfed it most of the evening.. then tonight all these probs are arising.. frustrating at best.

I honestly would think it is the browser/computer....but all the while this is going on... I've got other sites working fantastically in other tabs and windows..as well as aa few programs sometimes..this is the only one thats giving major fits though... the only one.

I've never seen this site in such a dis-array.. I was a member just a few days after it came online, and used it for many years, other then a few year hiatus from it... and it was the go-to site for all my RC needs and issues, and I've been trying to work that up again.. but it just isn't working for me... way way to many bugs.... Get it together RCU... this isn't the site I remember.

Now we'll see if this posts..
Old 12-18-2010, 03:35 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: So many little bugs in this site now....

Yeah, this is getting tiresome. Same thing happened to me this morning and has happened a lot lately. I know its not my system, I have three at home. One of them is a brand new workstation. I've been spending more time at scale builders lately. I'm sure it will get fixed eventually, its just taking so long.
Edwin
Old 12-18-2010, 04:07 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Give RCU some time.

We view this site for free. I don't think we have much of a right to complain.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:11 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We've been giving the "quick version" of what was happening. Now that I have a few minutes (and I know a little more), I'll give you a more "in-depth" version.

The RCU software was based on a software package called ASP Playground. It was a good basic program, but they wanted to add more features. So over the years more and more features were added to make RCU a better, more complete site.

On many occasions, when a new feature was added, it would create a problem with another area - and of course, members would complain about it, so a "Band-Aid" fix would be applied. That is, to fix it quickly, the problem would be circumvented to make it work in an acceptable manner.

Over the many years RCU has been around, a whole spider web of these Band-Aids were created.

But the fixes revolved around the type of server on which RCU was hosted. When the servers were updated, these Band-Aids exploded like a ball of bailing wire.

The bad news is, it's going to take a while to sort out all of the problems and fix them (They are trying to avoid the Band-Aid fixes this time). The good news is, once they are fixed, RCU will run faster and more efficiently than ever!

Please stay tuned
Old 12-18-2010, 04:20 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very discriptive MinnFlyer, and (as Henry Fonda once said in Midway) damn appropriate. I fully understand and can wait. I deal with updates regularly at work know about the bailing wire syndrom. That session time is just aggrivating after typing in a long response.
Edwin
Old 12-18-2010, 04:32 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know it's not much help, but I've always been in the habit of copying any of my longer posts before I hit the "OK" button - especially if I took a break in the middle of writing, so that if I timed out, I could just paste the reply and re-post it
Old 12-18-2010, 05:02 AM
chymas
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Idon't know if anyone is aware of this or not but every time you do a search this morning you get a connection error message. It was working fine yesterday. Love the site, I am confident the powers that be will get it working.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:50 AM
Bruno Stachel

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I know it's not much help, but I've always been in the habit of copying any of my longer posts before I hit the ''OK'' button - especially if I took a break in the middle of writing, so that if I timed out, I could just paste the reply and re-post it
Sometimes I'll type a post in Word, then copy and paste it here for posting. I don't think RCU ever did, but I've had sites drop out on me in the middle of typing a post.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:35 AM
DGrant

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks Mike for the update, and the bit of history there. I really don't mean at all to sound complaintive... I'd like to say more descriptive...and I do really like this site, and in recent months have refound a few friends, and pretty much a new world of info I'd missed for qutie a while...

I do know and believe that its being worked on extensively. The powers that be have recently helped me with an issue I had, and they did it promptly, and professionally... so far be it from me to complain, especially in light of the fact that its a free site... although I don't know its free to every member depending on thier membership level.

Mike, that's a great tip on copying a post before submitting...that right there was probably the most problem I had was losing a few longer posts somewhere in cyberspace...and I'll note that and use it for sure.... thank you.

I'd also like to say if this little thread survives for a bit, please don't rant about the issue, but rather try to list the issues so other members might see they're not alone. There is so much info here, and some of us have years of research stored in our accounts... I'm just always a bit concerned when I start experiencing what I am with this site, as I was a member of a site years ago.. it was a great site, and it unfortunately didn't make it... well it did last for several years before it went down in the very early 2000's..and it seemingly started with a few bugs, that multiplied over time... that was just before this site(RCU) took off.

Again, I don't mean to sound complaintive, but its more like just seeing an old friend with a few problems, patting them on the back and saying.. you've got to get it together man. At the same time, I've got to dig into my pocket of patience I'm sure and just deal with it... with that said.. I'll just copy my posts when they're of fairly long content, and enjoy what I have..

Maybe we should just let this thread die a naturally also, as the problems will get worked out, this will probably be of no use... I do apprecitate any and all input though...but please be constructive and informative on how you're dealing with these anomalies. Thanks for reading..
Old 12-18-2010, 07:48 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Well.....I want a refund!
Old 12-19-2010, 05:43 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: scooterinvegas

Well.....I want a refund!
Me, too. Plus compensation for pain and suffering. And punitive damages so that this will never happen again, and serve as a lesson to other web sites which might be contemplating making changes.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:55 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was gonna post "you get what you pay for" but it's already been said.

I too have done the copy/paste thing in the past. I can't even remember what I wrote when I need to retype it!