Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Is there any spinner which does not get ugly marks from starter?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Is there any spinner which does not get ugly marks from starter?

Old 08-05-2003, 05:29 AM
faisalk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there any spinner which does not get ugly marks from starter?

All spinners seems to get a round mark around them when using an electric starter. Is there any way or any engine which can fix it?
Old 08-05-2003, 06:21 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Default faisalk....

....try one of the nice aluminum spinners on your next
plane....you'll like them....
Old 08-05-2003, 06:32 AM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

Hideho all,

It's not the spinner that's the problem....it's the rubber insert inside the starter cone. Rubber burns and scores plastic.
Silicon on the other hand, does not leave marks or transfer heat in such a way to leave burn marks.
Buy a silicon insert for your starter and the marks will not happen any more. Be sure to check the depth of the insert, they are different shapes and depths to suit different spinners.
They are available at your LHS for about $6.00 and they are made by O'Sullivan.
Good luck,
Hot tip!
Old 08-05-2003, 09:04 AM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

if your engine wont flick start then theres something not right with it, either mixtures, or just plain ****ed
i only use my starter on a knackered Magnum 36 and the starter only comes with me when i take that plane
Old 08-05-2003, 09:38 AM
Jim C.

Silicon on the other hand, does not leave marks or transfer heat in such a way to leave burn marks
i slightly disagree with that one.. my starter has a silicone insert and i still have marks on my spinners.. not that i care they are there for function over form. could be junk @$$ plastic tho.
if your engine wont flick start then theres something not right with it,
not neccisarily.... i dont like to flip start my .60 sized motors... i cant get my 65 to flipstart ive only tried one time tho, but theres nothing wrong with it.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:42 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I started using the aftermarket silicon inserts about ten years ago. They are easier on the spinners. And also, keep them clean. However, most of the time I don't even use the starter. Only when my engine is acting cantankerous do I even need a starter. I hold a finger over the carb and turn the prop to draw fuel up to the carb before I attempt to start the engine. They usually start with a flip or two. Well, I don't actually flip them anymore. I grab the spinner as if I were going to snap my fingers. And then I do. It flicks the engine backwards, but then it starts forward. Saw that one on Discovery Wings. Works like a charm.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:14 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can flip just about anything. I like the Aluminum spinners though for that reason. No marks.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:18 PM
vtol_guy

low compression engines usually need a starter, high compresion engines like MDS will always set off with a little flick
Old 08-05-2003, 06:48 PM
Cactus.

Vtol, the stupid engine in your signature wouldn't be a MDS would it?

i've only ever started a 50 at the most, i forget that 36 isn't what most people think as normal size

just thinking, burn marks normally happen when you still have the starter turning when the engine is flooded, not only is this bad for the conrod but its what causes your burn marks. i see a few people tap the starter onto the spinner.

flick backwards with a chicken stick ( screwdriver for me ) is how i do it, for one reason it saves the back edge of the prop from the chicken stick
Old 08-05-2003, 08:26 PM
vtol_guy

the engine i'm talking about in my sig is an MDS one!

not the engines fault though, ran out of fuel during a low pass, had to land it in the middle of a corn field which involved going all the way around the boundary as its seperated by an irragation channel, took me 30 mins round trip! lol

theres about 5 MDS engines at my club (2 of which are mine) and all have peformed flawlessly, no problems whatsoever with any of them

can you also explain to me back flipping props too, the first time (and last time!) i tried the screwdriver flew out of my hand and even then the engine didn't start

i guess what made the situation funny though is that the screwdriver landed pointing straight into the ground, lol!!!
Old 08-05-2003, 10:09 PM
cabanestrut2002

the screwdriver flew out of my hand

you must have dale winton hands!!!!!!!

open the throttle to full , put your thumb over the intake, turn the prop counter clockwise (from front) a few times until the fuel reaches the carb(watch through the fuel tube) and then three further turns .

leaving the glowstart OFF turn the prop over 5 or so timesto get the fuel up into the chamber.

get a nice firm screw driver preferably with a rubberized grip and hold it firmly in your preferred hand, attach glowstart, and flick the engine counter clockwise(or backwards).

note- it helps if you set the prop so it is level when it hits compression

if this doesnt work after a few flicks then do the prime again.

if the engine starts backwards (they sometimes do, characterized by not being able to throttle up, and the plane rolling backwards!!) open the throttle SLIGHTLY, or flick it the opposite way , or both.

this is the best way to avoid nasty burn marks on the spiner, and kinder to the engine
Old 08-05-2003, 10:11 PM
Live Wire

I don't care what you do you will get marks on your spinner, if you do not want marks don't use one use a spinner nut!
Old 08-05-2003, 11:37 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Try and aluminum spinner or propeller nut.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:16 AM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too am now an aluminum spinner fan. For years I only used spinner nuts because the plastic spinners I had were easily scarred and did not hold up well. I put an aluminum spinner on my UCD and love it. Had to get a custom cut so a 2 1/4 inch spinner would accept a 15x6 APC prop. Instead of the $5 expense of a plastic spinner the custom cut aluminum cost around $50. A standard Great Planes 2 1/4 aluminum spinner goes for about $15. Don't know how it compares to my Tru-Turn.

Eric
Old 08-06-2003, 01:01 AM
Live Wire

Thanks Gui's this is the first for me. no one has ever agreed with me in the past.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:43 AM
Cactus.

prop nuts and starters don't work too well, the small hole in the other end SHOULD work, but in practice it's too smalla area.
i do like Cabanestrut says, only i dont turn a further 5 times and i flick the engine over rather than turn, the extra suck gets the fuel in. when holding the screwdriver i have the blade, and the prop gets the handle. a kick back sometimes pushes the blade into my hand, but it's flat and dosnt really hurt. i just dont have a chicken stick thats all, more clutter
Old 08-06-2003, 10:27 AM
Borzak
My Feedback: (2)

Prop nuts suck but spinner nuts work great. Aluminum and and they fit on the same cone as a spinner and don't slip/mar up.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:36 PM
Charlie P.

What Mike Bogh said. I have a Sullivan with the white silicone rubber adapter cone. Much easier on a plastic spinner.

As Bon Ami used to say: "Hasn't scratched yet."

That, and push hard when starting so it doesn't slip and wobble.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:30 PM
Johnnylightning

I've also found the Sullivan gray(grey) insert included w/ the Hi-Torque starter is made of a soft rubber compound. When it slips on the spinner, the compound does actually leave a mark, however, is easily removed w/ clean cloth.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:48 AM
RBacio

None of my spinners, plastic or aluminum, have unsightly starter cone marks. Seems kind of trivial, but I take pride in the fact that I seem to be one of the few that don't have this issue. Proper application of the starter to the spinner goes a long way.

Here's how I do it...

1. ( NO BRAINER)
Ensure starter RPM is MAX prior to "Tapping" the spinner. This ensures that ALL of the starter torque is transfered to the spinner before the engines compression says "stop right there!" to the spinner while the starter keeps right on going.

2. (NO BRAINER)
Ensure the prop is turned all of the way back just past the last compression stroke. This effectively gives the prop a "running" start so that it can power through the next comprssion stroke.

3. (NO BRAINER)
Ensure that the spinner and cone are properly aligned before "Tapping" the spinner. The more surface contact between the spinner and cone will increase your odds of gripping and not slipping.

4. (NO BRAINER)
Of course always use the proper sized cone for the spinner.

5. (NO BRAINER)
Always ensure that your starter battery has a good charge and that your starter torque is rated for at least the size motor you are attempting to start. Seems like your starter or battery always lacks the juice to get that prop over the hump but just enough juice to keep that cone turning.

6. (BRAINER)
I think the single most effective means of keeping the marks off of the spinner (at least for me) is keep the spinner and cone clean. At the end of each flying day, when I am cleaning up my birds, I always give the spinner a good wipe down w/alcohol and wipe out the starter cone. Alcohol will clean off any minor marks and won't leave any residue on the spinner that will prevent the cone from gripping the next time you go to start, and wiping out the cone will also get out any debris that will prevent a good grip.

Anyways...take it for what it's worth