Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Big mistake turned into a big save

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Big mistake turned into a big save

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 03:04 AM
ScottMcM
My Feedback: (66)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big mistake turned into a big save

I took my World Models Intruder out yesterday, along with my Midget Mustang. Decided to fly the Intruder first. Half heartedly went through my pre-flight, like I have done hundreds of times(should have paid more attention). As soon as the wheels cleared the ground, the plane banked left, so I applied a little right aileron.....and it banked harder to the left. I immediately realized that the ailerons were reversed, so, first, I throttled back, and began trying to think in reverse. I gained altitude (several mistakes high), and began bringing it around to land. Long story short, I was able to land safetly. The problem was that I had selected the Mustang on my radio. Everything was correct except the ailerons, and they were reversed. My fellow flyers had not made it to the field yet, so there was no one to witness the near fiasco, and I got the feeling that none of them believed me when I told them about it. I will never do my pre-flights half heartedly again. I will pay close attention to which way the control surfaces are moving. I was left with a sick feeling of what could have happened, but also with a feeling that I did a good job bringing it around and landing it in one piece.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:11 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Big mistake turned into a big save

Good job!

I have gotten into the habit of standing behind the plane just before taxiing out and checking the controls. Use the "Thumbs UP" technique - thumb the aileron stick to the right and watch the right aileron go UP

Thumb = UP
Old 05-02-2011, 04:01 AM
BillyGoat

Not that I want to be tested but whenever I hear a story about somebody crashing due to reversed ailerons I wonder if I could quickly reprogram my brain to avert a crash and bring it in safely?

Major thumbs up to you for being able to do that!

Minn, I follow the same procedure. In fact guess you could say I'm a bit anal-retentive about it. I check control movements before firing up the engine then one more time just before taxi away from the pits.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:13 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe you mean REtentive, but I know that it happened to me once and I'll never do it again (Knock on wood)

I tried to do it on a simulator once and couldn't do it - I just switched to using rudder and brought it in.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:44 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As much as I hate to admit it, I've done it 3 times in 15 years. Wrong model selected. The last time was about 5 years ago and managed to get it on the ground safely. The first two were crashes. But no more since I switched to spektrum model match.
Edwin
Old 05-02-2011, 05:58 AM
dredhea
My Feedback: (13)

I follow MinnFlyer's procedure. It's a habit that I've gotten into that takes a total of 3 - 4 seconds. I do it before every flight. In fact, it would feel odd not to check.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:02 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

I havn't done the wrong model selection but I did connect the ailerons wrong.. actually programmed them wrong in my Spektrum in a new model. I caught it using the same method that Minnflyer talked about and fixed it before flying (of course I did.. what would I do..fly it that way?? ). It definitely saved my plane becaue I don't think I could react that quickly and re-program my brain to take care of it in flgiht.

CGr.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:05 AM
dredhea
My Feedback: (13)

I could fly it home on the rudder, but I'd probably be too shaken up to think of it. It took a lot of skill to save that plane. Nice job!
Old 05-02-2011, 07:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One advantage to using non-computerized radios I guess. Can't select the wrong model if you can't select models at all.

Props for getting it down in one piece anyways.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:19 AM
BillyGoat

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I believe you mean REtentive,
Fixed. That's what I get posting before that morning coffee.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:55 PM
ScottMcM
My Feedback: (66)

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I wasn't sure I could do it either, but I remembered what my instructor told me a few years ago. "When you get into trouble, throttle back, it will give you more time to think." He was correct, I was able to "think in reverse" so to speak, and brought it in safely. I've got to tell you though, my knees didn't quit knocking for quite some time.[X(] It felt great, though, knowing I was able to do it....I would't ever want to do it again, though, and I bet I never have to. From now on, my pre-flights will be thorough.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:33 PM
tommygun32

I don't fly, don't have any planes....however, I dream of getting into flying model planes. I just don't have the space to keep the kit(s). [&o]

Well done on landing your bird.

You have to LOVE adrenaline......for the simple pleasure of it...LOL
Old 05-03-2011, 02:43 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Worse than crashing,
I've seen guys start the engine and the throttle is reversed,, I've seen some pretty close calls there.

I pre flight the same way others have mentioned, and before firing the plane double check again
Old 05-03-2011, 04:39 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

You've hit that nail on the head, so4me. About 18 years ago I got careless and forgot to tie down the plane to run out the remaining fuel. I took the prop in the leg, 10 stitches. Now that I teach, Minnflyers routine and a double check on the tie down is manditory training.
Edwin
Old 05-08-2011, 09:52 AM
ejc34710

I have a swift 2 flying wing and a small 3d foamy. Went to fly the 3d one day without doing a preflight. Whoops, my radio was still on the wing mode, programmed for elevons. Got lucky and chopped throttle before it got very high. Landed fine no damage. Felt so stupid, was so mad at myself. Now i always check.

Edit-i said landed, change that to crash. Crashed fine, no damage.