Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

WARNING!!! HOBBYTOWN USA!!!

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

WARNING!!! HOBBYTOWN USA!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 11:45 AM
F4 Phantom blue angles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree about one thing, They mark up there prices sky high! $13.00 for 2oz.bottle of CA medium.And other things also. Who do they think they are?
Old 07-06-2017, 05:14 AM
fourstar40
My Feedback: (27)

Heck, my local hobby shop does the same thing. I went in to buy a 2 oz. bottle of foam same ca and it cost me $15.00. I must have been un shock because I went ahead and bought it. And they wonder why people shop online.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:44 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fourstar40
Heck, my local hobby shop does the same thing. I went in to buy a 2 oz. bottle of foam same ca and it cost me $15.00. I must have been un shock because I went ahead and bought it. And they wonder why people shop online.
That's what name brand odorless / foam safe CA glue costs. I'm going to assume it was Bob Smith brand, as Zap costs much more!

Cheapest Foam safe I've seen is the Parfix 900 that BP Hobbies sells. I went through a bunch of it but decided I don't really like it, even though it's dirt cheap as it cures too slowly and I don't think the bond strength is there.

https://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=H3910122
Old 07-06-2017, 03:45 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well hear in fly over land Minnesota I treat hobby town like the plaque, as we have to vary good privately owned stores that are my go to places, but I do use Horizon, and Tower on occasion. been building models for 75+ years and still like the inner action with the hobby shop owners.

But that is just an OLD gezzers way

Cheers bob T
Old 07-25-2017, 08:52 PM
Moneypitts

Originally Posted by jimbrock2
And...all local hobby shops are vulnerable to competition from on-line vendors. Sometimes cheaper and delivery to your door. We need the local shops; please patronize the one near you.
I know this was an old thread, brought back to life...but I am going to give a shout to my local hobby shop in Naples Florida called "Family Hobby" which is exactly what I feel like when I go in there...family. I am relatively new to the hobby but I really don't believe I have purchased anything online. I absolutely find plenty on line...then I send the picture or link to Amy at Family Hobby and if she does not have it, she gets it for me. Any time I have a problem with anything, I take it back to them and they replace it or have it replaced with no effort on my part. If they are not a vendor for a particular product I want...if they can, they become a vendor and get me the product; whether it's a $4.00 part or a $600.00 ARF. And I never pay more than the advertised price I can find anywhere on line....They are wonderful. I can not imagine I will ever buy online or from anyone else. They treat me like royalty. I also could not imagine doing this hobby without them. Buying every little thing online would be a royal nightmare....I am in that store every other day buying the tiny little this and little piece of that without which, my current project screeches to a halt! It's a tiny mom and pop that is now in its 3rd generation. Amy's mother and father own the place, who took over from, I believe his father. I work overseas and about a week before I come home I send Amy "The List" of all the crap I want...then when I get home I just go there for a visit and it's all there waiting for me. I run into one of the employees at the field from time to time...he knows what he is doing. Truly a rare place in today's business world. They are there to answer my questions, give me help and are just unbelievable. My only problem....they aren't there at 0300 in the AM when I can't sleep and am up working on my planes. I am working on them though.

Thanks Family Hobby. If not for them, I probably would not be into this hobby like I am...they just make it too easy.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:29 AM
F4 Phantom blue angles

One thing I can say.I never had a problem with Tower Hobbies. I have been buying from them since 1998. And I really think there prices are good. There shipping is really good. 3-4 days. Just thought I'd pass this along.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:55 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Having a good local hobby shop is a wonderful thing! We have a great store for model railroad items, Randy's Roundhouse. Great guy, treats his customers well, has good prices, and if he doesn't have something he'll get it for you. For my model railroad needs, that's where I go.
We used to (35 years ago) have several good shops here in Lincoln for RC planes and general hobby needs. The Hobbytown got started (right here in Lincoln) and swallowed 'em up or shut 'em down. They seem to be much more into cars than anything, so if you need aircraft supplies the selection ain't great. I buy a lot from Tower.
I doubt Hobbytown really misses my money too much.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:05 PM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The HobbyTown USA shop in Lincoln has always given me good service. What they don’t have on hand, they’ll order it if their distributors handle it. On large items their prices are often competitive. Yes, the small items are usually marked at full retail price. But if one is going to purchase only one or two small parts, it is more convenient and not much more costly to buy it there than sending off to a mail order house.

It is great when a hobby shop has a full selection of the items supporting your particular interest. Unless the owner happens to be a devotee of same interest as yours and is running the shop as a hobby for himself, you are not going to find it. An owner of one the local shops that possibly flyboy 2610 was referring to was an avid R/C pilot, well liked and a member of the local club. He told me if he had to depend on model airplane sales, he would go broke. It was his wife’s art and craft section that kept the shop in business.

Allan
Old 07-29-2017, 09:44 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AWorrest
The HobbyTown USA shop in Lincoln has always given me good service. What they don’t have on hand, they’ll order it if their distributors handle it. On large items their prices are often competitive. Yes, the small items are usually marked at full retail price. But if one is going to purchase only one or two small parts, it is more convenient and not much more costly to buy it there than sending off to a mail order house

Allan

yap except when you have a few local buddies that you can bundle an order. and when I start a build or a repair, I make a list of what I think I will need double check my shop and then ( having been in this hobby for a looong while ) I generally have more than is necessary of the small bits.

Cheers Guys
Old 01-02-2018, 08:32 AM
Tripower455
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by Moneypitts
I know this was an old thread, brought back to life...but I am going to give a shout to my local hobby shop in Naples Florida called "Family Hobby" which is exactly what I feel like when I go in there...family. I am relatively new to the hobby but I really don't believe I have purchased anything online. I absolutely find plenty on line...then I send the picture or link to Amy at Family Hobby and if she does not have it, she gets it for me. Any time I have a problem with anything, I take it back to them and they replace it or have it replaced with no effort on my part. If they are not a vendor for a particular product I want...if they can, they become a vendor and get me the product; whether it's a $4.00 part or a $600.00 ARF. And I never pay more than the advertised price I can find anywhere on line....They are wonderful. I can not imagine I will ever buy online or from anyone else. They treat me like royalty. I also could not imagine doing this hobby without them. Buying every little thing online would be a royal nightmare....I am in that store every other day buying the tiny little this and little piece of that without which, my current project screeches to a halt! It's a tiny mom and pop that is now in its 3rd generation. Amy's mother and father own the place, who took over from, I believe his father. I work overseas and about a week before I come home I send Amy "The List" of all the crap I want...then when I get home I just go there for a visit and it's all there waiting for me. I run into one of the employees at the field from time to time...he knows what he is doing. Truly a rare place in today's business world. They are there to answer my questions, give me help and are just unbelievable. My only problem....they aren't there at 0300 in the AM when I can't sleep and am up working on my planes. I am working on them though.

Thanks Family Hobby. If not for them, I probably would not be into this hobby like I am...they just make it too easy.
They're one of the last old school hobby shops around! I've been going there for 30 years.

Where do you fly? I'm a CMAC guy, and was a member of Marcel's field for a few months before they lost the lease. We're supposedly gonna get a new field soon, but it will be hard to beat the old one.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:00 AM
Moneypitts

Default Cmac

Hey. My son and I fly mostly at the electric field. I had a gorgeous Waco YMF5D with a Saito FG 40 but I totaled it. I have a big Pitts in the box but dont want to assemble that till I get more gas experience. Im gonna take the FG 40 from my Waco and put it in a Hangar9 Ultra Stick but the Holidays and Irma projects have me on hold a while.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:10 AM
Tripower455

Hey. My son and I fly mostly at the electric field. I had a gorgeous Waco YMF5D with a Saito FG 40 but I totaled it. I have a big Pitts in the box but dont want to assemble that till I get more gas experience. Im gonna take the FG 40 from my Waco and put it in a Hangar9 Ultra Stick but the Holidays and Irma projects have me on hold a while.
RC has been on the back burner since Irma for me too. The last time I flew R/C was at Marcel's a week before Irma. Between work, the holidays and other stuff, time has slipped by.

I haven't been to the Manatee field since they made it electric only. That's where my son soloed at the tender age of 9.

I've been out to POTI a couple of times, but that place is a bit tight for the big 100cc stuff. Those power lines are hard to see, and a lot closer than they look! Don't ask how I know that...... That's why I joined Marcel's. It's sucks that we lost our lease. I also belong to the Cape Coral club, but that's a major hike from my house. I'd be just as well off, time wise, going to Markham Park.

Last edited by Tripower455; 01-02-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:45 AM
Moneypitts

Default Cmac

Yea. The electric field at Manatee is great. I too have issues with the powerlines at the gas field. I think if not for them I would not have stalled my Waco attempting to stay low and slow while paralleling them to final approach. Cape Coral is a huge haul. I called someone from I think Collier Fun Flyers. They have a field up on Immaccoly (sp?) But I have not seen it yet. I think I am going to inlist the help of Danny at Family Hobby to help me with the Gassers once I get the stick built. The Waco may have been a little advanced. Despite all the control surfaces and tjhe large size, he said any stick makes a great first Gasser and he thinks that particular one would be great because of the Crow feature. Would love to find a roomier field to learn on so I could make a longer straight approach. If the wind is out of the West, Isle of Capri is better. I have also gone through the power lines and swore I was on the field side of them. Dont like them at all.😰

Last edited by Moneypitts; 01-03-2018 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Misspelling and mistake
Old 01-03-2018, 02:56 PM
Tripower455

Yea. The electric field at Manatee is great. I too have issues with the powerlines at the gas field. I think if not for them I would not have stalled my Waco attempting to stay low and slow while paralleling them to final approach. Cape Coral is a huge haul. I called someone from I think Collier Fun Flyers. They have a field up on Immaccoly (sp?) But I have not seen it yet. I think I am going to inlist the help of Danny at Family Hobby to help me with the Gassers once I get the stick built. The Waco may have been a little advanced. Despite all the control surfaces and tjhe large size, he said any stick makes a great first Gasser and he thinks that particular one would be great because of the Crow feature. Would love to find a roomier field to learn on so I could make a longer straight approach. If the wind is out of the West, Isle of Capri is better. I have also gone through the power lines and swore I was on the field side of them. Dont like them at all.😰
Check your private messages. I think we've had enough thread creep!
Old 01-07-2018, 07:19 PM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahh, Just one more? I live an hour away from Chattanooga where there is a HobbyTown. They have always given me good service but sadly, I think the handwriting is on the wall. Inventory is steadily shrinking, although they do have a couple shelves lined with big and little foamies. They are down to just a few rolls of monokote and there was no glow fuel on the shelf. Maybe with the upturn in the economy they can hang on.