Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Copyrighting digital pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 03:06 AM
Juice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Copyrighting digital pics

At an airshow, if I take pictures of the full-size airplanes... Is it legal for me to put a "(c) 2003, Juice" on a corner of each picture before I distribute them?

Thanks,
Juice
Old 08-21-2003, 03:13 AM
ShutterAce

I don't know about Canada but here in the US it is. Try looking here. http://www.mcgrawhill.ca/copyrightlaw/
Old 08-21-2003, 09:28 AM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

i have a optomiser that adds a watermark if you want, but my opinion is if you put pics on the internet you gave away any hope of people not taking the pic for their own use.
personly i've used the FedEx logo for my plane and i plan to use the Quiksilver surfing one soon for another plane, both taken off sites. free advertising for them as i see it, but if i see any of my pics on other peoples sites, or used here... i don't care. i put them online.
in my Capiche review i did give credit for text and pics to the Flycapche site and it's web master, but thats about as much as i would ever expect.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:14 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

In the US, if you take a picture, it's your property. You have the right to put a copyright on it. It's similar to an artists painting. Your picture is your "creation".

BUT, there is a line that is drawn where you use a picture of someone else's property. i.e. logos, trademarks, etc. I'm not sure of the details, but it has something to do with, it has to be an "artists rendition", not just a direct photo.

BTW, you should change your text to "taking pictures of RC airplanes". This thread is not RC related and therefore has the risk of being closed.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:22 PM
Cactus.

where you use a picture of someone else's property. i.e. logos, trademarks, etc. I'm not sure of the details, but it has something to do with, it has to be an "artists rendition"
lol have a look in my gallery, my use of the FedEx logo is very much my "rendition"

for internet tho, i'd disagree using someone elses photo and pass it as yours that you took. thats just wrong.

i think when he said airshow he meant RC airshow, right? cough cough
Old 08-21-2003, 03:41 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You may copyright any image that you took.

That's not to say that others can't use them, but they may not profit from them.

If you take a picture of a logo, you can not profit from it without the owners consent, The same applies to Models (Human models)
Old 08-21-2003, 05:33 PM
Juice

Default Re: Copyrighting digital pics

Originally posted by Juice
At an airshow, if I take pictures of the full-size airplanes...
I should have also said "for future reference when making scale RC models".

I just finished putting "(c) 2002 Joshua Salvador" watermarks on all my high resolution digital photos that I took of Marine's Dream (FG-1D Corsair) in last year Gathering of Corsairs. I recently posted a few of the pictures in the Warbird forum. Since then, I've had a few people request the whole lot of pictures. So I'm going to open up the treasure chest and make them all available on my web site (not now, maybe next week).

I don't need or want to make money from them, but I know it is possible for anyone else to make money from them. I now understand that any picture I take is copyrighted by default, even without the copyright stamp. The copyright stamp just makes it that much more explicit.

Anyone without a conscience can still distribute them for money though, because I'm not going to pay lawyers to enforce it. Oh well, at least I have my name on them.

Thanks to all for your comments.

Juice
Old 08-21-2003, 09:26 PM
vtol_guy

your picture, your work, your belonging, therefore your copyright
Old 08-22-2003, 03:56 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Photoshop you can use "Digimarc" to watermark the image with a copyright notice. It cannot be seen by looking at the image but can be read using Photoshop. Even if a user slices up the image it will still retain the watermark. Doing it this way eliminates the need to put a visible notice on the image if you don't want to taint the image.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:06 AM
Cactus.

Marc: you wont look too closely at the elevator on my Capiche when i finish the trim will ya RCU logo one side, my user name the other and a posh version of my Avatar. free advertisement
i remember a thread a while ago which went onto making car dealers pay you for the advert they put in your rear window lol