Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Did you crash today ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 04:30 PM
flyntruk
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you crash today ?

So... Did you crash today ? A youg man lost his @ $1000 dollar 3-D plane today . Componet faliure was the cause . Heart break afterwards . How about you ?
Old 10-08-2011, 04:59 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Did you crash today ?

No crash here. Been raining all day. Normally getting rained out of a flying day is something to be sad about, but this time I'm excited about it. The last measurable rain we've had was back in like April or May. We are in a severe drought condition, so a long pouring rain is a good thing here.

Sorry to hear about your crash though. While I know it doesn't help make it any easier for you, I can tell you that this is part of the hobby. I've had days in the past where I've lost 4 figures in a crash as well. It hurts. But if you can't afford to lose it then it shouldn't be flying!!

Look at the bright side, this gives you an excuse to start a new plane project!!!!

Ken
Old 10-08-2011, 05:06 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Too bad about that expensive planes. [] I've been lucky to never have any equipment failure yet. I've only had some loose servo screws and one propsaver broken o-ring. Not too bad, but I crash land a lot. I'm a terrible lander. I also need a good runway.

I wasn't going to tell anybody[] , but yes I did crash my biggest plane today. It really should be my easiest plane to fly , but I am intimidated by it's size and speed still. Yesterday I made 3 nervous passes before I brought it in. Today I used poor judgement and decided to land straight into the wind , but that puts me crosswise on my runway. It's only 60' wide and it was going to hit the fence at the end so I put the nose into the ground.

Just got done bending the nose gear and trimming some foam away from the prop spinner from the crash. Tomorrow I will give it another go and hope the wind is west this time.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:55 PM
MJensenn

It was a 3DHS 72" Extra.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:54 PM
flyntruk

And today ... Another heartbreak .... Parkzone Corsair .... VSa 51 " AJSlick in midair ... TOTALwreck on both sides ... Slick only had 4 flights ... Some guys can't catch a break (no pun intended )
Old 10-09-2011, 06:26 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

I flipped my crawler over a couple times, got dirt in the fan, burnt out the fan and broke a steering rod. Easy screwdriver fix. Is that crashing?
Old 10-09-2011, 07:57 PM
MJensenn

Did you find what the sound was in your Alpha?
Old 10-09-2011, 08:27 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't crash today, but I lost a Hanger 9 Sundowner last month due to my right aileron falling off Electronics were salvaged but airframe was toast.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:44 PM
chunkyplunker

No not today, but yesterday I flew my Raptor 30, all the way to the ground.[:@]
Old 10-13-2011, 05:59 PM
flyntruk

So ... A strong attraction to gravity perhaps ? .. Un controlled flight into the ground is not good .
Old 10-14-2011, 08:47 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Guys:

After years of flying, you may get as good at it as I am. Have not dinged anything for over 6 months. Come to think about it, I have not flown anything for more than 6 months. ENJOY
Old 10-15-2011, 05:19 AM
skyblue

What really hurts is when you take your brand new model up for it's maiden flight only to total it a few minutes later.I have done this many times.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:29 PM
flyntruk

Yeah... crashing bad on a maiden really sucks ... I've done it before , but the plane it happened to did'nt break my heart
Old 10-20-2011, 02:32 AM
jknox

Imade it to my fifth plane without a crash - Then I tip stalled my Yak with a new Saito 125 on the firewall. Engine (with 3 flights) was destroyed as was a $300 airframe. I salvaged the receiver and4 servos. I'm almost relieved to have that first bad one under my belt, and I learned a number of lessons - What not to do when your plane tip stalls, and an overpowered airplane may have unwanted flight characteristics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79665.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	1676729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56172.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1676730  
Old 10-21-2011, 06:59 PM
flyntruk

Wow ! That sucks ! And when you lose a motor to boot !    Arghhhhh! [:@]
Old 10-21-2011, 11:09 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last RC crash I had was when I sent my on-road into a wild spin on accident. I was trying to powerslide going too fast, it turned 270 degrees, then caught the grass at the edge of my driveway. Flipped six times and landed on it's door against my house.

No damage though, I just gave it a nudge and burped the throttle. Off it went.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:30 AM
guver

I've had bad experience with some maiden flights lately. It's been windy/rainy so I got 4 planes ready to go. I maidened 3 of them and 2 out of 3 were not set up very well by me. 1 little one was so fast that I was too slow to react. I have since flew it successfully though , it still needs some work. 1 medium one rolled right back into the beans and broke the rear stab or tail. The one that I did successful was tail heavy and I flew it for about 10 minutes getting used to it. I later got the COG further forward , changed the TX and tried it out again. I didn't give enough throttle and crashed it into the beans breaking the rear stab. Now I have to order 2 rear stabs for different planes.

I have gotten 3 more ready to maiden and have learned to set them up as perfect as I can and take my time better when setting them up.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:58 PM
Pilotsmoe

I crashed my stick today. Went to pull a loop at low altitude, but was on low rates and flew it right into the ground. Whoops![]
Old 10-24-2011, 02:12 PM
guver

ORIGINAL: Pilotsmoe

I crashed my stick today. Went to pull a loop at low altitude, but was on low rates and flew it right into the ground. Whoops![]
I have a new radio 9x and it forces one to power up on High rates. I am debating whether this is good or not. I think that it is except perhaps with new planes? I have considerd flipping all the DR switches up-side down.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:42 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: guver

ORIGINAL: Pilotsmoe

I have a new radio 9x and it forces one to power up on High rates. I am debating whether this is good or not. I think that it is except perhaps with new planes? I have considerd flipping all the DR switches up-side down.

That is a bit odd, but the rate switch on my DX5e is so easy to get to that I wouldn't consider it to be an issue.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:14 PM
WaffleMan
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Didn't crash today, but I lost a Hanger 9 Sundowner last month due to my right aileron falling off Electronics were salvaged but airframe was toast.
Same thing happened to my electrifly yak once
Old 11-20-2011, 08:12 PM
cutaway

I'm flying mostly my own scratch built original designs. When I splatter one, that's usually what motivates me to build version n+1 with the alterations I've been wanting to make but never got around to retrofitting on the previous generation prototype I just planted. So for me, crashes are a way to kickstart my building/designing motivation again.