Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

has anybody put a steerable front wheel on a senior telemaster ?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

has anybody put a steerable front wheel on a senior telemaster ?

Old 10-15-2011, 01:22 PM
GeoKid
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anybody put a steerable front wheel on a senior telemaster ?

i am rebuilding a very used senior telemaster and would like to make it tricycle landing gear... thank you ...george
Old 10-15-2011, 04:38 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: has anybody put a steerable front wheel on a senior telemaster ?

Just a WAG on my part, as I have not surveyed or polled the populace, but I betcha every nose wheel is steerable on every Senior Telemaster with trike gear.

I could be wrong.

Edit: are you asking "is it?" or "how to?"

Old 10-15-2011, 06:38 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only seen senior telemasters as tail draggers. You should be able to convert it. Move the mains back and get a nose wheel gear , mount, and tiller arm. Mount it right behind the firewall like any typical trike trainer.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Joystick TX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had three Telemasters over the years. Both taildraggers and trikes. I eventually converted all of them back to taildragggers. I had  improved ground handling and less mechanical trouble with the taildragger versions. I have also had a Sig Senorita for 25 years which has been converted back and forth from taildragger to trike several times. It has been a taildragger for the last 15 years now and will not go back to a trike.

Most of my flying is done from grass and short rough fields. If most of my flying was done from smooth paved runways, I may still have a trike.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:57 PM
carrellh

I would get a gear from the Fults class 1 group http://fultstooling.com/page7.htm it comes with mounting hardware
You'll also need a pushrod and tube similar to http://www3.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/w...I=GPMQ3716&P=0 even though you'll only need about half of one rod and probably will never use the brass couplers

You'll have to drill a 3/16 hole in the firewall, and one or more formers, for the pushrod tube. I bought a super long drill bit at Home Depot for this, you may or may not need a long bit. Glue the tube in with epoxy or thick CA.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:03 PM
Joystick TX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I forgot about the Fluts gear. The dual spring gear works way better than the single spring type and is well worth the cost.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:49 AM
piper28

My guess is it's certainly doable. Personally, on my trainer I went from trike to tail-dragger, and felt it greatly improved the plane. I wouldn't personally do the conversion the other way.