Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

New Pilot Curriculum

Old 10-28-2011, 09:37 AM
Pretorian435

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Pilot Curriculum

Anyone have a written new RC Pilot curriclum you care to share?
Old 10-29-2011, 05:38 AM
KW_Counter

Default RE: New Pilot Curriculum

Ken,

I looked for this very info 10 years ago when I started.
Check the various club sites and see if they have posted requirements
for getting your wings. What you will find is a large lack of
consistency from club to club. At that time AMA had nothing published.

Our club leaves it up to the trainer to determine if a person is ready to solo.

Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 10-29-2011, 08:31 AM
Pretorian435

Thanks, KW. That's what I am finding. As an IP there are criteria for me to qualify, but a surprising lack of curricula to get one there. I just bought the Basic book from the AMA, so that will be helpful. I am planning on writing a ground school and flight curriculum (not a book, more of a checklist set) so that a students progression is measurable and coordinated for a progression. I think it is important for students to learn basic airmanship in a coordinated manner. I also think its important for students to see where they need to go and where they have to go. I suspect the professional schools have such a curricula, and am surprised the AMA doesn't.The 60 day limit on AMA intor pilot program is designed to get a new pioot to commit after a reasonable intro, and I would like that new student to come, stay engaged, and become a proficient I lot who believes they are a proficient pilot.

When I finish it I will publish it for free and welcome input and tailoring.

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2011, 09:51 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's all well and good, but my experience has been that, most pilots don't want to learn the correct, or safe way to fly. They don't have the patience. They just want to get up burn holes in the sky and, hopefully, come down. Then when something happens they don't understand, it's "radio trouble". Part of reason I gave trying to teach people to fly.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:36 AM
Pretorian435

LOL! Yeah, we hear a lot about radio problems :-) I am hoping to find a way to let them do both... I fear I am not the first.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:56 PM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

AMA has a basic outline of flight training...

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/e...ainoutline.pdf

You could also get a copy of the old RCM Flight Training Course Volume 1

http://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=2161

There are also lots of clubs that publish a curriculum on t heir websites. I found one a couple years back printed off a copy. I'll see if I can find it and locate the club again.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:00 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got two new students that left another club because they got tired of the instructor. They didnt find any enjoyment learning with him. Appears he was strict about them learning pattern flying. Their view was, any mistake was meet with him taking back control, landing, and going over ground school. This, instead of practicing flying. I teach to a basic program. Once they can do that I stay with them a little longer until they are used to handling emergencies and rudder practice. I am not so strict and want them to have fun and enjoy the hobby. We tried the intro pilot routine for a year and found it to be way too cumbersome. We havent done it since.
Edwin
Old 10-29-2011, 07:24 PM
Pretorian435

@Hemi: thanks for the links!

@Edwin: I think your point is a critical one, something to keep in mind .

Coaching youth hockey I learned that you have to work the basics, but it can be fun, and there has to be time to just lay hockey however that comes ouy. Mistakes are part of the process, and if we're not progressiing we may need to tailor things. Some fliers may catch on quickly, others not so much. Fun has to be a huge part of the equation! My goal in hockey was to get them to want to come back, while learning how to play hockey. Safety, nor breaking too many planes, and progression while having fun!
Old 11-05-2011, 01:31 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

any mistake was meet with him taking back control, landing, and going over ground school.
Sad. An old saying in full-scale teaching is, "When the instructor takes the controls, the lesson has ended".  Also in full-scale: 1 - The instructor teaches, 2 - Instructor teaches, student follows along, 3 - Student performs. Rinse, repeat as necessary.   Above all, teaching should be kept fun. No hollering (beyond 'Ain't got it!'), and no surprises.

We should write a book!