Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Disappointed in RC Advancement Over Last 20 Years

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Disappointed in RC Advancement Over Last 20 Years

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 02:32 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Disappointed in RC Advancement Over Last 20 Years

I happened to be talking about two other guys at our field... I helped but we did not find either plane... so your assumption was wrong. In 2011, we should be able to find an airplane in a small grove of trees.

Who cares why it went down? How many planes have been lost over the years and what has Futaba, Spektrum, JR or others done about it? The radio are forever crapping out and not always the fault of the user.

So where is the "root" of the problem??... I am citing examples of where the technology is sorely lacking. You are satisfied, that is fine, no need to push for anything better, you don't care. Others might disagree, and think there is a lot of work to be done.

ORIGINAL: Warbirdguy

Ah hah! now we get to the root of the REAL problem. Your not complaining about advancement in technology, your whinning cause you lost your plane and you want someone to blaim other than your own abilities. There is always another side to every story and I think this one just came out

I set up a plane a few months back using the new Arora 9 channel radio. OMG! That thing was so easy it was like Id had one for years. I have a Futaba 8 channel computer radio that I have to get the manual out sometimes to program servo mixing.... Id say there has been great strides in technology.

WBG
Old 11-16-2011, 02:41 PM
grimbeaver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little off topic, but, this came to me watching one of those comercials where the car parked itself. Was amazing, but, what happens if it gets a little zelous over the ability to park itself and runs into the car behind it or an inocent bystander watching the thing park itself. Who is going to be responsable? The owner of the car? ( I mean the owner didnt do anything, it said it was parking itself) or the manufacturer of the car? or?????
Would be interesting to see how a court would rule in an case like this.

Im happy with what I have now in RC. Next year, something new will come along.

WBG
I think someone once told me the owner is still responsible because they are expected to hit the brake before the vehicle hits something. I'm sure there's some stupid disclaimer in the manual.

Edit: actually sounds like you control both gas and brake, it just steers, so you are 100% liable.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:20 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

WHY SUCH SLOW PROGRESS IN RC? I say remember now, it's not that great now.
Disrespectfully DISAGREE! For you even to put this rediculous premis out there means you haven't been paying attention.

rrragman
Old 11-16-2011, 04:24 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone has an opinion, and it should be respected. Personally, I have been in this hobby for 25+years, and there have been times that I also wished for more in the area of the types of models available and the electronics. I must say that short of having the model fly itself, I have been quite happy with the advancement made in the passed 10 years. I now have access to petro-powered radial engines that can push my 60+ lb planes at a respectable speed. I also have access to turbine engine with greater than 40+ pounds of thrust, and a radio that gives me the flexibility to add more realistic functioning to my planes. Could there be more, probably. But given the time I might have left to enjoy the hobby, I will make do with what's available and continue my weekend trips to the local flying field. [8D]
Old 11-16-2011, 05:44 PM
brockettman

I suppose if you get right down to it the advances in radio control have been a little behind the technological curve, if you compare it to the multi-billion dollar tech industries that dominate our society now. I have returned to the hobby after a 25 year lay-off and am quite pleased that I can build a lot faster with CA glue, fly an electric plane, and not have to worry about someone else flying on my channel.

I have also been impressed by the hexa platform one of my friends has that is totally GPS programmable. He can punch in the coordinates and the machine flies to, and hovers at that point. Hey, you can even get a camera and a pair of fancy goggles to wear that makes it look like you are in the plane flying!

Some things have changed, but radio waves and aerodynamics are a constant, and it's hard to beat the internal combustion engine!

Old 11-16-2011, 06:04 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

I have lost a landing gear due to radio failure (72MHz), servos did not respond and I had a hard landing. Every plane I lost was my very own fault. I never had any issues with my Futaba 8FG.
And If I feel I need a beeper, then I buy one for a few bucks. I also have battery indicators in all my planes. They do not come with the receivers, so I buy them.
My gas engines do not have a led or flashing light to show when the ignition is 'hot', so I go to Radio Shack, get an led and a resistor and install it.
For me that is part of the hobby.
There is a lot of new technology available today and you can have it all if you are willing to pay for it.
We have a huge selection of radios, engines and models on the market now. We never had so many choices.
The simulators have come a long way and I find them very useful. I learned flying rc helicopters from a simulator.
I have been out of this hobby for many years and just got back into it - and I see that there have been lots of changes. But if I make mistakes - the planes still crashes. On the simulator I have an oops (reset) button and the crashed plane is fixed and ready to take off again. I wish the Futaba would add that button to any transmitter...

Old 11-16-2011, 06:41 PM
saramos

Controversial Statement... yes, but how is it different from all the remember when posts. Because you don't like the topic does not make it a TROLL.

Compared to many other ''consumer products'', I feel like RC has not kept up with, computers, TV, Automobiles, GPS, GA Avionics or any number of other products. There are a lot of things we should have by now. If you disagree, so be it. It is a valid point of view.

Look at the price of things... has the cost of radio equipment dropped like computers? I feel that the cost of my JR9303 was a huge costly expense... now china is shipping $25 2.4 radios... we are not demanding enough for our money.

When RC enjoys the market share of other "consumer products" such as computers, TV, Automobiles, GPS, GA Avionic or a any number of other products, then you can expect to see the pace of advancements that these other products enjoy. Think of all the Universities and Colleges that offer undergraduate, graduate and advanced research in fields like computer technology, auto engineering, telecommunications, Bioengineering. Now think of ANY University or College ANYWHERE in the world that offers a program or degree in hobby RC. Unless products are sold in the millions, and are multi billion dollar industries, you can only expect a slower pace of advancement.

Frankly, I think that you are overlooking what is probably the single biggest advancement in RC. Your using it now, RCU and other online RC communities. They can be used to expand your abilities in RC at a pace like nothing that has ever come before.

If you want Gee Wiz technology in RC, you can have it. Get a good 3D modeling package like solidworks, or even a freebie like 123D, a desktop CNC machine (milling, lathe, router), desktop 3D printer, and a personal laser cutter. These are now starting to become sized and affordable to advanced hobbiests and allow you to create much of what you can imagine. Pick up a good book on PIX programming or find a good PIX website, get a breadboard and a handfull of chips and start making your own electronics. None of this was available to hobbiests 25 years ago.

You can also turn your perspective around and marvel at how much opportunity for advancement there is in RC, and how it's still a field where someone can aspire to make a big technological advancement in their own garage.

Scott
Old 11-16-2011, 06:46 PM
BullardRM
My Feedback: (39)

ORIGINAL: rkimmerle

Everybody drives a car. Everybody has a computer. Everybody has a cell phone. Very few have anything RC related in comparison to the aforementioned markets. If you take the market of each of these compared to the RC market, the advancements in RC, based on the size of the respective markets, is far greater then cars, computers etc.
Think about it.

Ditto-well said !!!
Old 11-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Warbirdguy

I happened to be talking about two other guys at our field... I helped but we did not find either plane... so your assumption was wrong. In 2011, we should be able to find an airplane in a small grove of trees.

Who cares why it went down? How many planes have been lost over the years and what has Futaba, Spektrum, JR or others done about it? The radio are forever crapping out and not always the fault of the user.

So where is the ''root'' of the problem??... I am citing examples of where the technology is sorely lacking. You are satisfied, that is fine, no need to push for anything better, you don't care. Others might disagree, and think there is a lot of work to be done.

Ah hah! now we get to the root of the REAL problem. Your not complaining about advancement in technology, your whinning cause you lost your plane and you want someone to blaim other than your own abilities. There is always another side to every story and I think this one just came out

I set up a plane a few months back using the new Arora 9 channel radio. OMG! That thing was so easy it was like Id had one for years. I have a Futaba 8 channel computer radio that I have to get the manual out sometimes to program servo mixing.... Id say there has been great strides in technology.

WBG
If I were you, I would get a new hobby would save all the drama on forums
Old 11-16-2011, 06:48 PM
Warbirdguy

ORIGINAL: David Jackson

Everyone has an opinion, and it should be respected. Personally, I have been in this hobby for 25+years, and there have been times that I also wished for more in the area of the types of models available and the electronics. I must say that short of having the model fly itself, I have been quite happy with the advancement made in the passed 10 years. I now have access to petro-powered radial engines that can push my 60+ lb planes at a respectable speed. I also have access to turbine engine with greater than 40+ pounds of thrust, and a radio that gives me the flexibility to add more realistic functioning to my planes. Could there be more, probably. But given the time I might have left to enjoy the hobby, I will make do with what's available and continue my weekend trips to the local flying field. [8D]

Hey David, hows things going? You ever get that big Corsair in the air?

Jamie
Old 11-16-2011, 07:38 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

The thing is, in 60 years of RC models we're still guiding models with nothing more than radio waves. So, there's always going to be a failure element as long as that remains the case. I'm sure even commercial grade UAVs have issues with this occasionally, so maybe some tweeking is yet to come on reliability of the 2.4 link. A lot of things are going to stay the same though, such as basic airplane/helicopter design and some construction techniques, or the distinctive two-gimbled joystick style transmitter. There's only so many things you can improve upon- consider the automobile. It's had a steering wheel and four wheels for the last 100 years. The model T and the Chevrolet Volt both have these features. Batteries are great, but can still get better. Not just a problem for RC though, every other industry that uses batteries would benefit from longer lasting, more powerful versions. 25 years ago we couldn't have had a full house, 4 channel proportional model with a 15" wingspan for ~ $100, so that's an improvement, as are the other things people have mentioned. As someone else mentioned, we're probably fortunate to have the current advances, as RC is such a small consumer sector. Like I always say, I'm the only one I know who's in the hobby. I never see anyone else doing RC ANYTHING, not even cars anymore.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:38 PM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: rrragmanliam

WHY SUCH SLOW PROGRESS IN RC? I say remember now, it's not that great now.
Disrespectfully DISAGREE! For you even to put this rediculous premis out there means you haven't been paying attention.

rrragman

Well, if you are willing to compare the advances made in computers, that are the blood of our society commerce and industry, with the advance of the technology in our TOYS. Well, I hope you are not sober. 40 years in the hobby, and I can say I saw a lot of changes, many changes happened faster during the last decade. But, this is a free country, and everybody is entitled to his/her opinion. Which, by the way, we know opinions are like a...., everybody has one, and some stink.

Gerry
This is advanced:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96487.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	1687639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38204.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	1687640  
Old 11-16-2011, 08:11 PM
jessiej

If we have the technology to make everything easy what fun would it be?

People who don't enjoy challenges can find really simple shors on TV and really high yech equipment to watch them.

jess
Old 11-17-2011, 03:49 AM
warbird72
My Feedback: (79)

Man that to me is and was a great system!! I know a guy whom collects radios, he has two of them.. I think there ace 8000 micro or something like that. He said they wrere way ahead of there time!!. Any how.. Happy landings guy's..
Old 11-17-2011, 03:58 AM
warbird72

Why does he have to be a Troll ?? Why do people have to badger others About what they like or don't like.. I like it all as long as it works.. I also have a converted chain saw engine in one of my planes today.. Also another with a weedeater in that.. I have a video with my Extra 300s homlite 33cc gasser and a tme smoke system in it.. It does fly very well.. Don't be suprised when you find out todays gas engines use lots of saw parts on them.. Pistons cylinders,Heck Qudra 35 and 40 cc was no more than a converted Polan saw it's self.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:02 AM
warbird72

Now that is different.. I love it.. How is the Hitec 2.4 working for you ?? I have the same set up.. But I have the Eclipse 7 with the 2.4 in it. I havn't flown it yet but I like it..
Old 11-17-2011, 04:09 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

I might have agreed with you at one time, and usually I have only myself to blame for the problem.

I have lost an expensive >$1,000 plane due to a 2.4 Spektrum radio failure... one moment I had it, next nothing. Level flight and it just dropped. Battery was huge >3,000 mahr and fully charged. First flight after field charge. Only a couple of guys flying at the time.

OK having said that; everything is pilot error, it crashes so it must have been pilot error. I bought a much more expensive radio after that. Do you read the forums, how many times people loose planes and the "experts" jump on them and call them stupid and bad modelers? It is happening here too.

I just plain and simple blame the state of the hobby on poor equipment. How many thousands of dollars of equipment can you loose before you question continuing? Is it justifiable to play Russian roulette each flight? Craps you loose. The odds are not good.

ORIGINAL: MTK
1982 was the last time I lost a plane due to an actual radio problem. Today, Radios are more dependable than ever.
My suspicion is that lost planes due to supposed radio problems are not so much related to the radio but rather the loose screws in front of the controls
Old 11-17-2011, 04:28 AM
GerKonig

I might have agreed with you at one time, and usually I have only myself to blame for the problem.

I have lost an expensive >$1,000 plane due to a radio failure... one moment I had it, next nothing. Level flight and it just dropped. Battery was huge >3,000 mahr and fully charged. First flight after field charge. Only a couple of guys flying at the time.

OK having said that; everything is pilot error, it crashes so it must have been pilot error. I bought a much more expensive radio after that. Do you read the forums, how many times people loose planes and the ''experts'' jump on them and call them stupid and bad modelers? It is happening here too.

I just plain and simple blame the state of the hobby on poor equipment. How many thousands of dollars of equipment can you loose before you question continuing? Is it justifiable to play Russian roulette each flight? Craps you loose. The odds are not good.

1982 was the last time I lost a plane due to an actual radio problem. Today, Radios are more dependable than ever.
My suspicion is that lost planes due to supposed radio problems are not so much related to the radio but rather the loose screws in front of the controls

Different folks different experiences. I lost total control of a Goldberg Cub over 10 years ago. Had nothing, and was very high. I was up there and started a spin. As soon as it entered, I lost everything. I saw it come down all the way... Only radio failure ever. It was my fault in a way, I had purchased the JR radio with an airplane at an auction, kept the radio and sold the plane... Should have used a regular trainer to try out the radio.

There were many different reasons for radios to fail. Now, apparently only 2, batteries and link. So, yes, I am happy. The only time I crashed it was not with one of my radios, it was with one just purchased at an auction. I have been using Futaba since the beginning of my hobby life, so far, no complaints. Granted, this might change if my next Futaba does not live up to my expectations:-)

Gerry
Old 11-17-2011, 05:02 AM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

There will always be a chance for radio failures. The most expensive radio can have flaws. And after a bad crash you are looking at a pile of sticks and can not really find the source of the problem. All you can do is get your radio equipment tested and hope they'll find the source.
A few months ago I found an ad in some rc magazine about a little device which detects a radio failure and is supposed to stabilize your plane and circle around you until you get connected again. It was called ruby. Maybe it's worth it's money, I haven't seen any tests yet.

As far as the development goes - almost every product I can buy today has some flaws. Nobody takes the time to test things sufficiently anymore. If you buy a new car, you can be certain there will be a recall to fix this or that problem. If you buy a cell phone, it has to be updated every few months. Even my TV wants to connect to the internet to update it's software.
My DVD player sometimes gets stuck and I have to reboot it.
These things do fail too. But usually nothing bad happens when your toaster temperature sensor has a bad day.
If there is a failure in our radios, we loose a plane and it becomes a big deal. No, they shouldn't fail, but they do.
I find it very scary when airlines are trying to eliminate their pilots and want a computer to fly their passengers. I won't be one of them.
I love my gadgets and electronics, and I have been working on these things since I was little. I guess that is why I only trust them so far.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:14 AM
c-130RCpilot

That is absolutely great stuff, and I am all over it. I am building an FPV plane. Alas, AMA is throwing a wet blanket over this aspect of the hobby. Don't hold technology back, let it grow. Good example of why is it taking so long?

ORIGINAL: heli2883

the next evolution is just starting its FPV for planes and Heli's. I currently do not do FPV but its going to be a big part of the future in RC flight. See the world through your planes pilot seat thats a big leap in my mind. I know there are FPV haters out there. I am talking responsible pilots flying in non populated areas.
Just how is AMA throwing a wet blanket all over FPV?
Old 11-17-2011, 06:15 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

We have really lost it as far as the glues, for you old guys remember the buzz when using glue in close quarters. Took a while to figure that one out?
Maybe thats what kept me in the hobby? (think it caused Brain Damage, was addictive and hooked me into to a life time of Model airplanes)[:@]
Old 11-17-2011, 06:32 AM
iflyg450

I have lost an expensive >$1,000 plane due to a 2.4 Spektrum radio failure... one moment I had it, next nothing. Level flight and it just dropped. Battery was huge >3,000 mahr and fully charged. First flight after field charge. Only a couple of guys flying at the time.

OK having said that; everything is pilot error, it crashes so it must have been pilot error. I bought a much more expensive radio after that. Do you read the forums, how many times people loose planes and the ''experts'' jump on them and call them stupid and bad modelers? It is happening here too.

Well Sir I have 2 sugestions to your problem
1) Fly cheaper planes if you can't handle the loss, it happens every plane you own WILL CRASH!
2) If your looking for a control system the rarely fails look at the below picture.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44021.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	1687719  
Old 11-17-2011, 06:47 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Are you really happy when your radio suddenly looses the radio link to the plane and there goes $2,000 worth of gear?
This is 100% user error. I've been using a park flyer receiver in my touring car and I still haven't had any issues with the Spektrum gear dropping link. That little AR6110e lives an impossibly hard life in there, it goes through the equivalent of a hard lawn dart every few minutes, it's constantly bombarded by mud, dirt, fuel spills, dust and whatever else the front tires kick up at the radio box, it's got no padding to protect it from engine vibrations and it's about an inch off the ground surrounded by a 3mm thick plate aluminum chassis and some plastic. To add to that I drive 24/7/365. I don't care how cold or hot it is and I don't stop for rain. My pit area is somewhere dry, transmitter is in no danger, the car can go out and drift around in the rain.

It gets the living hell beat out of it from the moment the engine starts, and yet, nothing. Nada. No problems. Solid, out of sight radio link, never wavers or falters, not even when the 5-cell pack powering it gets low enough that the steering servo gets sluggish!

The old AM pistol grip I had before, however...that thing glitched out when I attached the glow ignitor! Talk about disconcerting, watching the throttle servo twitch to half throttle and back as you attack the ignitor. And the 75mhz AM twin stick I bought? That failed. It's got 20 feet of range, tops. It simply doesn't work, no idea why. I currently use the transmitter to tease my cats. I left the little yellow ribbon on the end and extend the antenna, they love to bat at the ribbon.

2.4 radio links are reliable. They only fail when there is an error in the installation or maintenance. Weak receiver batteries are common, and a genuine defective radio is incredibly rare.

It is 2011, we should be able to have solidly dependable radio links to the planes.
We do.

Have the engines really improved all that much?
Yes, yes they have. The 46AX in my trainer makes as much power as a 60 or 70 of 25 years ago and is miles more reliable. Hell, the engine in my touring car makes more HP! Modern engines are easier to start as well, they idle lower, they use less fuel, they make far more power, they're quieter, they're lighter, they run smoother...only reason to run an older engine is nostalgia to be honest.

If we delve into the car world it's crazy how far it's advanced. 25 years ago nitro powered cars used 09 to 15 size aircraft engines. You had to buy an aftermarket heatsink cylinder head and the fuel tanks had a screw on cap. The exhaust systems were literally aircraft mufflers bolted onto the side of the engine. Starting them was a pain as well, you had to use an electric airplane starter with a car donut held against the flywheel through the chassis. Anyone remember those? Nowadays you can buy a dual BB, ABC, three needle rear exhaust .12 that puts out damn near 2 horsepower and revs to 45,000 RPM! Those donuts are a thing of the past too, there's some RTR cars that come with a starter box! Just attach ignitor and press down on the engine, bam, car's running. Nitro monster trucks have had reverse for the past ten years or so, onboard electric starters are fairly commonplace, and they've gotten so durable that a crash that would total a car 25 years ago barely scratches the body! Oh, and car radios are miles ahead. ABS, TCS, RPM, vehicle speed, temperature, these things come stock with some RTRs, and they come with several computer radios. The surface use telemetry seems to be limited to the Spektrum computer radios, but 99% of car computer radios have things like ABS, traction control, throttle expo, fast idle features, EPAs, all that good stuff.

Think about it. I could fit my touring car with features a brand new Chevy Aveo doesn't have!

Kits are also an endangered species in the ground world. 25 years ago everything was a kit. RTR was a synonym for used. Nowadays you can't hardly find a kit anywhere, even race cars come RTR. Pull it out, plonk it on the track and start adjusting the suspension.

Maybe this is part of the reason kids are not entering the hobby.
I can explain this in three simple points.

1: Call of Duty
2: Expensive
3: people think you're a nerd.

Kids are vain little things that depend on Daddy's credit card for entertainment, and they refuse to be seen as nerds amongst their peers. They're only going to want what's cool, and they aren't going to have the time, money or patience to do RC. So instead they'll get an xBox 360, Call of Duty, and that's that. I know first hand the difference, being a gamer myself it's WAY cheaper to spend ~250-300 on a gaming platform of choice(I went PC, built my own) and then spend 40-60 bucks on a game that lasts a year. Of course I was the oddball that didn't care what others thought so I still do RC.

RC is certainly marching forward just fine. Ten years from now tuning your engine will be a practice only users of two stroke glow engines still practice, those four strokes will be OHC and fuel injected. Gas two strokes will burn straight gas, and possibly also be fuel injected, their lubrication will be supplied by a separate tank, pump and computer like motorcycles. Four stroke gassers will also become commonplace, just as they did in glow powered flight. Electric starters will be so light that they'll be standard equipment on planes. Carbon fiber, already creeping into the touring car world as a major structural component, will start replacing fiberglass in many ARFs. Multi-cylinder engines will get smaller and smaller, I can walk into any Saito dealer and buy a four stroke twin that would be perfect for my 40 size trainer already, and I feel internal combustion will once more challenge electricity as the prime mover in our models. Radios are gonna get far better, fuels better, real time variable pitch props will become commonplace, who knows.

The future is bright, the sky's the limit, and once this recession disappears we're going to see a HUGE boom in RC tech. It's going to leap forward, the only thing holding it back is the simple fact that modelers are having to choose between eating and flying.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:49 AM
warbird72

haha good one
Old 11-17-2011, 07:33 AM
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)

I agree with "ON YOUR SIX" that there has been little progress in the last 25 years in the RC industry. ARFs are not progress they are just a way of avoiding how to learn to build models. Computerized radios are more convenient that non computerized ones however, it's still pilot skill. I still use my Kraft Signature Series radios I bought new in 1980 on the 6 meter band. Radios on 2.4 GHZ is something I have no interest or confidence in which doesn't mean they are good or bad they are just on a different frequency. My Kraft radios are superior to what's out there to day because in 25 years if I am still around my Kraft equipment will still be useable but no of todays radios will be at the field.

Just my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.