Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Disappointed in RC Advancement Over Last 20 Years

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Disappointed in RC Advancement Over Last 20 Years

Old 11-16-2011, 02:59 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disappointed in RC Advancement Over Last 20 Years

I hate the "Remember When" nostalgic thread currently running. Sure it is nice to remember how it was, but I have to question why the snail slow progress in the RC technology?

I bought my first 7 channel RC radio about 25 years ago... and there has not been that much progress or advancement since proportional radios were introduced.

In the same time span, I have gone through about 10 computers with remarkable advancement each time. Radios with programmable functions have not been around very long.

Telemetry is still in its infancy and few people are enjoying its benefits. Microsoft flight simulator arrived in in 1995. The RC simulators have not caught up yet with realism.

I expected a lot more from RC when I got back into the hobby.

WHY SUCH SLOW PROGRESS IN RC? I say remember now, it's not that great now.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:22 AM
MajorTomski

Default RE: Disappointed in RC Advancement Over Last 20 Years

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

WHY SUCH SLOW PROGRESS IN RC?
Let's see, 25 years ago, let's call it 1985.
There were NO computerized radios in 1985
There were NO turbine engine in 1985
Four stroke engines had just been introduced and really did only produce half the power of the same sized two stroke.
You could buy a kit fix pitch helicopter with a gyro that actually had a spinning mass gyro in it, and if you were really good you could get it to hover for all of a minute.
You had maybe 3 different sizes of servos to choose from
A .60 was just abut the biggest engine you could buy
There were NO chainsaw based gas engines
Cox Sanwa was the only company making foam & electric airplanes and they BROKE when they crashed. Heck I even had a cox Cessna that the firewall flew off in flight.
That electric plane had a HUGE cheap can brushed motor and enormus sub-C sized nicads and flew for a whole 4 minutes.

And the six channel "fancy" Kraft radio cost $250. If we allow for inflation you would now pay 499.75 for that same non computer radio.

Given the INCREDIBLY SMALL sales base of even world wide RC buyers I think the advances in the last 25 years, especially cost per unit have been amazing!
Old 11-16-2011, 05:05 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Ace Micro Pro computer radio first appeared sometime in the late 1980's and included most of what is offered on today's computer radios. And yes there were folks flying converted chain saw motor powered planes about that time as well.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:34 AM
MrCoffeeMax

This guy is obviously a Troll.

If he is disappointed with the progress, why doesn't he go to work for one of the major radio manufacturers and "teach" them how to do it?

Some people just aren't happy unless they are complaining.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:46 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

I hate the ''Remember When'' nostalgic thread currently running. Sure it is nice to remember how it was, but I have to question why the snail slow progress in the RC technology?

I bought my first 7 channel RC radio about 25 years ago... and there has not been that much progress or advancement since proportional radios were introduced.

In the same time span, I have gone through about 10 computers with remarkable advancement each time. Radios with programmable functions have not been around very long.

Telemetry is still in its infancy and few people are enjoying its benefits. Microsoft flight simulator arrived in in 1995. The RC simulators have not caught up yet with realism.

Hmm, I respectfully disagree; I have experianced every technology benchmark since 1954, embraced loved and enjoyed every one of them. Hows this first picture for backwards teckno mixing?

I also enjoy the lastest in Telemetry and actively use it in one of my cross country airplanes and a fun type just because its well fun to know. Actually I am restlessly awaiting my voice anunciation for my Hitec systems. I just hope its a female and perhaps a nice sexy Australian accent

I do participate in some of those nostagia threads I must confess, its good for the soul. And sure as heck better than *****en bout all our ailments.

OK now I gotta go. Flying Ukie this morning with some folks I have mentored into the joys of that.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94894.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	1687304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga76483.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1687305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bd65589.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1687306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86082.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1687307  
Old 11-16-2011, 06:25 AM
on_your_six

Controversial Statement... yes, but how is it different from all the remember when posts. Because you don't like the topic does not make it a TROLL.

Compared to many other "consumer products", I feel like RC has not kept up with, computers, TV, Automobiles, GPS, GA Avionics or any number of other products. There are a lot of things we should have by now. If you disagree, so be it. It is a valid point of view.

Look at the price of things... has the cost of radio equipment dropped like computers? I feel that the cost of my JR9303 was a huge costly expense... now china is shipping $25 2.4 radios... we are not demanding enough for our money.

ORIGINAL: MrCoffeeMax

This guy is obviously a Troll.

If he is disappointed with the progress, why doesn't he go to work for one of the major radio manufacturers and ''teach'' them how to do it?

Some people just aren't happy unless they are complaining.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:34 AM
Live Wire

Any thing a person could want is out there, you just have to look for it. If a person had evey thing in this world he thought we should have they would still want more
Old 11-16-2011, 07:09 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

I hate the ''Remember When'' nostalgic thread currently running. Sure it is nice to remember how it was, but I have to question why the snail slow progress in the RC technology?

ARE YOU KIDDING?

I have NEVER seen so many Americans WHINING as I do these days!

I propose this question to you, "What have YOU done to advance R/C technology in the last 25 years?"

If your answer is NOTHING, do you really have a right to complain about the lack of advancements? I think not!

The R/C world has always been about our passion for what we love, and MOST of the innovations we see either come from an extraordinary person who spends copious amounts of his/her own time and dollars developing a new product FOR THE LOVE of it, NOT for any potential financial windfall that may come from it. Most grassroots R/C businesses are either money-losing ventures or barely support the innovator/owner. The non-grassroots advancements we see in this hobby are usually adaptations from technology that was developed FOR PROFIT by or for the military or other HUGE commercial venture, and it takes time to trickle down to the hobby level, only AFTER all the HUGE overhead and developmental dollars of said advancements have been recouped and commercial profits have been enjoyed by those that developed the product/technology.

let's all do our individual parts to turn this Country around to the great place it once was not by WHINING, but by DOING! If you don't like something the way it is, DON'T WHINE, find a way to affect positive change AND FIX IT! Don't wait for someone else to do it, it will NEVER get done that way!

Regards,

Astrohog
Old 11-16-2011, 07:15 AM
on_your_six

Are you really happy when your radio suddenly looses the radio link to the plane and there goes $2,000 worth of gear?

It is 2011, we should be able to have solidly dependable radio links to the planes.

I have worked in another industry (software) and have seen all the advances...

You want a plane to beep at you when you loose it, "buy this". Everything is an addon extra. Have the engines really improved all that much? If other products were sold in such a piece-meal manner people would scream... you guys continue to settle for the same same.

Maybe this is part of the reason kids are not entering the hobby.

You don't have to get mad to discuss this... it is a point of view. I don't care if you disagree, that's fine. Calling me names does not change things... I am not trying to make anyone mad, just think about it.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:55 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (107)

I also have to disagree. I still have my first radio, an MRC Mark 5 with Red and White flags still attached to the antenea laying next to my Futaba 2.4 10 C radio and I really do enjoy all the advancments in my Futaba as compared to the old Mark 5. As for kits, we have gone from die crunch to lazer cut and interlocking parts, helping to make straight airplanes. The ARF world has gone from cheap fall apart planes to some really good looking and desirable planes. The engines have gotten better with the advent of 4 cycle and the new gas age for the bigger planes and I do not remember any electric powered planes back then. The older weed whacker engines do not compare to tody's DLE. As for glues, what more can be said. Even Great Planes has come out with so many tools that make building planes that much easier, the slot machine tool and the centering tool for examples. I personally think the RC world has changed greatly in the past 30 years and I am enjoying it all. Good Luck, Dave
Old 11-16-2011, 08:20 AM
Rodney

I also disagree with the initial post. The advancement relative to price has been a fantastic improvement. How many hours did you have to work to buy a proportional set 20 years ago. Think in terms of manhours of work versus dollars when you compare. In the late 50's a top of the line RC set cost me several weeks wages or more, now it is just a day or two. Reliability is much better now, battery life and quality many orders of improvement. The list goes on and on, I can hardly believe the rapid rate of improvement over the past 20 years. That goes for all electronics in general, the advances have been phenomenal.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:17 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I think the biggest advancement has been in batteries. The power and capacity and longevity of batteries available now is phenomenal. Of course, they were not developed specifically for RC. They were developed for other technologies and adapted to RC, but that does not diminish their amazing advancement.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:59 AM
init4fun

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you really happy when your radio suddenly looses the radio link to the plane and there goes $2,000 worth of gear?

It is 2011, we should be able to have solidly dependable radio links to the planes.

You want a plane to beep at you when you loose it, ''buy this''. Everything is an addon extra. Have the engines really improved all that much? If other products were sold in such a piece-meal manner people would scream... you guys continue to settle for the same same.

You don't have to get mad to discuss this... it is a point of view. I don't care if you disagree, that's fine. Calling me names does not change things... I am not trying to make anyone mad, just think about it.
Your point of not being personally attacked for an unpopular viewpoint is most certainly valid , the discussion isnt helped by taking such shots at each other . I dont beleive you to be a troll , but I cant really see what your seeing about RC not reaping the benifits of advances in technology from other sources . We do now have computer controlled radios , telemetry is available for those who are into that aspect of the hobby , and face it , NO rf link is "rock solid" , , , , from your local AM sports radio stations to Satellite TV , ALL rf links can and do fail all the time . My satellite TV goes out every time we get even so much as a rain shower .

Also , as to the separate pricing of the items goes , , have you looked at any of your bills lately ? Everything from fuel costs to administrative fees are individually itemized , it seems to be the way of the world lately to break down costs to the last possible cent , and so why would our hobby be any different ? Are you really saying you dont like the approach of buying each piece to suit YOUR particular idea of what a model plane should be ? What if I dont want the beeper in your "all in one" approach to sales , will I still have to pay for it ?

With all due respect , I beleive your seeing a problem that doesnt exist . What other hobby has technology that our's doesnt , or , , what exactly is it you think our hobby should have , but doesnt ? ............. The RF thing aside , since no RF technology that I know of in ANY other area will "100% unfailingly" perform , what are you missing ?

PS , I just thank the great gods of RF that my cellphone drops more calls than my TX drops planes
Old 11-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: astrohog

ARE YOU KIDDING?

I have NEVER seen so many Americans WHINING as I do these days!

I propose this question to you, ''What have YOU done to advance R/C technology in the last 25 years?''

If your answer is NOTHING, do you really have a right to complain about the lack of advancements? I think not!

The R/C world has always been about our passion for what we love, and MOST of the innovations we see either come from an extraordinary person who spends copious amounts of his/her own time and dollars developing a new product FOR THE LOVE of it, NOT for any potential financial windfall that may come from it. Most grassroots R/C businesses are either money-losing ventures or barely support the innovator/owner. The non-grassroots advancements we see in this hobby are usually adaptations from technology that was developed FOR PROFIT by or for the military or other HUGE commercial venture, and it takes time to trickle down to the hobby level, only AFTER all the HUGE overhead and developmental dollars of said advancements have been recouped and commercial profits have been enjoyed by those that developed the product/technology.

let's all do our individual parts to turn this Country around to the great place it once was not by WHINING, but by DOING! If you don't like something the way it is, DON'T WHINE, find a way to affect positive change AND FIX IT! Don't wait for someone else to do it, it will NEVER get done that way!

Regards,

Astrohog
That's a little over the top. The guy starts a conversation about the growth of technology in a hobby and you respond with a speech about "turning the Country around'?

Give me a break
Old 11-16-2011, 12:01 PM
on_your_six

Thanks for the over the top remark....... OK here is one for you... how many planes have you seen lost... you would think that the radio could include a function to home in on the lost plane.

For example I just bought a little chirping add-on that can be switched or chirps automatically when signal is lost... $8 ea... you would think that the receivers could all come with the feature and the price would be next to nothing.

I really think that an almost perfect radio link could be developed... with the jumping technology or something better than what we have and share with every other conceivable devise on 2.4gighz

With a large scale plane in the air, it can be a real danger.... my list continues.. I just think the technology could be better...

I agree about the great lipo batteries, still might be too dangerous for the average consumer though.

[/quote]

That's a little over the top. The guy starts a conversation about the growth of technology in a hobby and you respond with a speech about ''turning the Country around'?

Give me a break
[/quote]
Old 11-16-2011, 12:06 PM
heli2883
My Feedback: (21)

the next evolution is just starting its FPV for planes and Heli's. I currently do not do FPVbut its going to be a big part of the future in RC flight. See the world through your planes pilot seat thats a big leap in my mind. I know there are FPVhaters out there. I am talking responsible pilots flying in non populated areas.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:47 PM
on_your_six

That is absolutely great stuff, and I am all over it. I am building an FPV plane. Alas, AMA is throwing a wet blanket over this aspect of the hobby. Don't hold technology back, let it grow. Good example of why is it taking so long?

ORIGINAL: heli2883

the next evolution is just starting its FPV for planes and Heli's. I currently do not do FPV but its going to be a big part of the future in RC flight. See the world through your planes pilot seat thats a big leap in my mind. I know there are FPV haters out there. I am talking responsible pilots flying in non populated areas.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:01 PM
raptureboy

Well I would have to somewhat agree with the OP in that compared to some other areas of life RC does lag behind, computer radios have remained relativly unchanged over the last 15 yrs or so, compared to say computers in general and look at the automobiles we have, cars that park themselves woa! But I agree with a previous poster that this hobby is not a hugh segment of the buying public and it will most likely stay that way for the foreseeable future. R & D is slow to move along if there is not a big market and $$ for it and we will just have to wait for the trickle down effect. Look at the demise of the local hobby shop, check your yellow pages under Hobby lately? We are a society of I want it now, I want it cheap, and I want the latest. I don't think any of us who have been in this hobby for any amount of time have stayed in it because of all the wow factors, we stay because we enjoy it for what it is and we like some new things but we also don't like to change just because something is the latest or greatest. Still alot of stick and fabric builders out there and theres a landfill out there full of the latest and greatest stuff. It is fun remembering when, after all memories are about all that lasts forever. Enjoy it for what it is a nice relaxing hobby
Old 11-16-2011, 01:26 PM
MetallicaJunkie

im happy with the advancement in our hobby in radio equipment, engines and battery technology[8D]

go back to using wide band Kraft radio and Kraft servos and big heavy gas motors and see if your not happy now
Old 11-16-2011, 01:39 PM
MTK

You want a plane to beep at you when you loose it, ''buy this''. Everything is an addon extra. Have the engines really improved all that much? If other products were sold in such a piece-meal manner people would scream... you guys continue to settle for the same same.

1982 was the last time I lost a plane due to an actual radio problem. Today, Radios are more dependable than ever.
My suspicion is that lost planes due to supposed radio problems are not so much related to the radio but rather the loose screws in front of the controls
Old 11-16-2011, 01:44 PM
snaproll38

Thanks for the over the top remark....... OK here is one for you... how many planes have you seen lost... you would think that the radio could include a function to home in on the lost plane.

For example I just bought a little chirping add-on that can be switched or chirps automatically when signal is lost... $8 ea... you would think that the receivers could all come with the feature and the price would be next to nothing.

If you lost the signal in the first place how will it be able to hone in to the plane?
Old 11-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Warbirdguy

Ah hah! now we get to the root of the REAL problem. Your not complaining about advancement in technology, your whinning cause you lost your plane and you want someone to blaim other than your own abilities. There is always another side to every story and I think this one just came out

I set up a plane a few months back using the new Arora 9 channel radio. OMG! That thing was so easy it was like Id had one for years. I have a Futaba 8 channel computer radio that I have to get the manual out sometimes to program servo mixing.... Id say there has been great strides in technology.

WBG
Old 11-16-2011, 02:17 PM
snaproll38

WBG I like your life lesson... so true!
Old 11-16-2011, 02:18 PM
rkimmerle

Everybody drives a car. Everybody has a computer. Everybody has a cell phone. Very few have anything RC related in comparison to the aforementioned markets. If you take the market of each of these compared to the RC market, the advancements in RC, based on the size of the respective markets, is far greater then cars, computers etc.
Think about it.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Warbirdguy

ORIGINAL: raptureboy

Well I would have to somewhat agree with the OP in that compared to some other areas of life RC does lag behind, computer radios have remained relativly unchanged over the last 15 yrs or so, compared to say computers in general and look at the automobiles we have, cars that park themselves woa! But I agree with a previous poster that this hobby is not a hugh segment of the buying public and it will most likely stay that way for the foreseeable future. R & D is slow to move along if there is not a big market and $$ for it and we will just have to wait for the trickle down effect. Look at the demise of the local hobby shop, check your yellow pages under Hobby lately? We are a society of I want it now, I want it cheap, and I want the latest. I don't think any of us who have been in this hobby for any amount of time have stayed in it because of all the wow factors, we stay because we enjoy it for what it is and we like some new things but we also don't like to change just because something is the latest or greatest. Still alot of stick and fabric builders out there and theres a landfill out there full of the latest and greatest stuff. It is fun remembering when, after all memories are about all that lasts forever. Enjoy it for what it is a nice relaxing hobby
A little off topic, but, this came to me watching one of those comercials where the car parked itself. Was amazing, but, what happens if it gets a little zelous over the ability to park itself and runs into the car behind it or an inocent bystander watching the thing park itself. Who is going to be responsable? The owner of the car? ( I mean the owner didnt do anything, it said it was parking itself) or the manufacturer of the car? or?????
Would be interesting to see how a court would rule in an case like this.

Im happy with what I have now in RC. Next year, something new will come along.

WBG

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.