Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

RCU classifieds and the people who use them

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

RCU classifieds and the people who use them

Old 05-15-2012, 11:23 AM
Tampatexan
My Feedback: (86)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCU classifieds and the people who use them

I am curious about something. I have had this happen to me several times, and I don't understand it. I get a question (or email) from a member who says "Will you take XXX for your ...." I reply, "Yes, make a formal offer and I'll accept it". And then all I hear are crickets . . . no followup offer, no further communication, nothing. My question is: Why do people make an unofficial offer (and that's what it is unless they use the "offer" button), and when it is accepted, they don't follow up with a formal offer??? Anybody have any ideas about why this happens? (And I notice it is happening more in the last several months than previously)..

Old 05-15-2012, 11:38 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RCU classifieds and the people who use them

Are the members making said offers new or established with a good trader rating ?
Could also be folks wanting something then after really thinking realize they just don't have or can't spend the money ?
Old 05-15-2012, 11:52 AM
Tampatexan

Both were long time members with high positive ratings. Maybe you're right, they either didn't expect the offer to be accepted, or they realized they couldn't afford it (or didn't really needit).. I just wondered if this happens any to other members...
Old 05-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Tobtech
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its been a while since I have sold anything on here but this happens to me on Craigslist all of the time. The world is full of tire kickers.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:06 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

I don't like it and I'll tell you why. If I replied like that then I would feel obligated to hold it for some reasonable time for them to make a formal offer. I'd rather someone just replied saying they changed thier mind so I could move on.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:12 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

It happens all the time to me. I have a very large "tirekicker" folder.

Many times I think it is a timing issue and sometimes the market notices don't get RX for days. Meanwhile when someone has money burning a hole i the pocket they want to purchase "NOW" , not wait a few hrs or days.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:43 PM
Tampatexan

Guver : It should be mentioned that one of the "offers" was answered in 40 minutes and the other one was answered in 55 minutes - hardly a "long wait" for normal people

Old 05-15-2012, 05:38 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Yea, I know. I've had it happen too. I thought I was pretty quick with responses. Maybe not?

These days for some of us waiting on the microwave to cook is painful.

ps. I just noticed that our response times for questions and offers are pretty similar. I usually have to think about questions for a while , but am quick to respond to offers. I think the bottom line is that they really aren't serious.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:56 PM
rcbadger
My Feedback: (14)

I've had this happen to me several times, and, I hate to admit, even did it once. In my case, I was planning to buy a plane including a Spectrum Rx. I asked if they would sell for less and keep the Rx as I fly all Futaba. They said yes, but got laid-off the same day I got the answer, and my financial concerns took an unplanned turn. While it would have been the courteous thing to do, and I should have, I did not contact him to tell him what happened. [&o] If you're the guy, My apologies.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:09 PM
rcbadger

Another frustrating thing that I've had happen is to make a formal offer on a plane, for the price they were asking, and not have them return repeated e-mails and requests. After eight days of futzing about, I told the guy to forget it since I had no faith in his willingness to ship the plane to me when he wasn't even willing to do what little it took to take my money.[:@]
Old 05-29-2012, 09:17 AM
Mary_Lachlan

People are often looking at many options at once. It's part of the industry unfortunately, especially online.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:32 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Common courtesy isn't very common any longer,, a quick email saying you've changed your mind won't kill ya
Old 05-29-2012, 01:52 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

It's not just on line. I manage a retail store and have for 20+ years. Many times people will make an offer on something. I will either say yes or no, but if I say yes it's a done deal to me. Not to them. They come back with, "well I'm going to think on it" or " I need to check with my wife/husband". That's bull. If you make an offer and the seller says OK, you own it. At least in my book. Since I am on a roll. Don't tell me you know how much i am making on it. You don't know squat.

david.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:40 AM
rcbadger

Unless I KNOW and TRUST someone, I won't hold anything without some sort of payment, and I tell 'em so. Too often people are fickle and change their minds, or something comes between them and the sale. I bear no grudges, but have learned over time that holding items for someone with nothing to lose by changing their mind is too costly.

Something I stated on another forum, but is just as true here: "It's said that what separates man from beast, is communication. There must be a lot of animals out there."
Old 06-01-2012, 04:49 AM
rcbadger

Common courtesy isn't very common any longer, a quick email saying you've changed your mind won't kill ya.

Mary, Good points. I've already "fessed-up" to the one time I did that, usually I am both considerate and courteous. With regard to your comment, I've often said: I think it should be called "Uncommon Sense," since if it were common, more people would have it." The same goes for Common Courtesy.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:54 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

He is not making an offer. He is just trying to find what you are willing to take. I wouldn't hold it a day. Just tell him to make a formal offer and sell it to the first person that does.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:51 AM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: rcbadger

Common courtesy isn't very common any longer, a quick email saying you've changed your mind won't kill ya.

Mary, Good points. I've already ''fessed-up'' to the one time I did that, usually I am both considerate and courteous. With regard to your comment, I've often said: I think it should be called ''Uncommon Sense,'' since if it were common, more people would have it.'' The same goes for Common Courtesy.

Wait, I'm confused...Scale only 4 me's real name is Mary??
Old 06-01-2012, 09:32 AM
scale only 4 me

LOL, I've been called worse,,

rcbadger,
I was just making a general statement,, I apologize if you thought the comment was directed at you specifically. I had the rudest service last night at a place we often go out to dinner,, it's all over the place. In the last 12 months I must have had 10 guys tell me "they'll take it" on something I listed for sale and not come through,, I won't hold anything for anyone unless the cash is in my hand or paypal acct. It is getting worse
Old 06-01-2012, 09:58 AM
rcbadger

Sorry, wrong name. I didn't take it personally so much as I'm still grovelling to relieve my guilt. I really can't stand rude behavior, on-line, behind the wheel, from a neighbor, or anywhere, and I think a lack of courtesy is the same thing.

Still grovelling,
Joe (But you can call me Sue, if you want...)
Old 06-01-2012, 10:17 AM
scale only 4 me

None of us are perfect,
Old 06-07-2012, 05:22 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

I just finished selling off my "collection", and I had pretty simple rules.

1) All offers must come via "Make Offer" on RCU.
2) First offer AT ASKING PRICE gets it. If you gamble with a lower offer and someone else follows with a full-price offer before I respond, your gamble was a poor one.
3) If there is a full asking price offer posted, don't waste your time offering more. It's not an auction.

Everyone else is just fishing....
Old 06-13-2012, 05:47 AM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: Teachu2

I just finished selling off my ''collection'', and I had pretty simple rules.

1) All offers must come via ''Make Offer'' on RCU.
2) First offer AT ASKING PRICE gets it. If you gamble with a lower offer and someone else follows with a full-price offer before I respond, your gamble was a poor one.
3) If there is a full asking price offer posted, don't waste your time offering more. It's not an auction.

Everyone else is just fishing....
Yeah, I'm still flying that stick every now and then...thanks [8D]