Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Rally - Law Enforcement Notice?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Rally - Law Enforcement Notice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 10:10 PM
necorc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rally - Law Enforcement Notice?

My club is having a 100+ mile Cross Country Rally this month and with current events being what they are, should our club notify the various police agencies on our route?

Should we let them know what we are doing so if they get calls from concerned citizens they could explain the purpose?

Or just fly and hope no one is pulled over during the Rally? That could be quite inconvienent, plus, if a landing was required that could be quite costly.

I don't know of any motor vehicle statues that we would be in violation of but what if a Law Enforcement Agency told us we shouldn't/couldn't do it?

OR?? Am I just over thinking/analyzing this?

Thanks for any input...
Old 09-02-2003, 10:45 PM
RSands

Maybe call the AMA?
Old 09-02-2003, 11:34 PM
Selftaught
Banned

I say if you draw unnecessary attention to yourself before the event you open yourself to some "concerned" citizen worrywart that will come up with a myriad of "what if" questions that will leave you open to rejection and dismissal.
Deal with trouble as it occurs, when it occurs.
Don't go looking for it.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:56 AM
Live Wire

Seat belt law's , sorry just a thought. And liability.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:25 AM
Ranfred Radius
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We regularly fly XC with sailplanes in Northern CA. The local constabulary does require seatbelts. It is well worth the effort to set up a chase vehicle properly to avoid being pulled over(which really sucks while trying to speed down range outta crappy air)

Randy
Old 09-03-2003, 10:27 AM
Steve Campbell2

Thorny question.

On something murky such as this, Selftaught's advice would normally be the best; on the premise that it is easier to get forgiveness than permission.

I've been a state trooper for 25 years, so I have a bit of insight on how cops think and act.

A lot depends upon your area. If it is high-energy (i.e., the cops stay busy with wrecks and idiots doing stupid things), then you will probably go unnoticed. Even if some "concerned citizen" calls it in, the cops may not have the time nor inclination to check it out.

OTOH, if it is a laid-back rural locale, then the cops might have nothing better to do than see just what you're up to. One of the most dangerous things in the world, right behind a new second lieutenant with a map, is a bored policeman.

Still, 9/11 changed many things. All it would take was for some room-temperature-IQ soccer mom to breathlessly call in that a truckload of terrorists were flying a model plane laden with explosives up I-25 or whatever... well, you get the picture. Happens all too frequently (knucklehead citizens without a life calling a panicked report in regarding a perfectly harmless situation).

So, I dunno. I will say this; if you do decide to alert the locals, wait until the morning of the event. If you do it the day before, and another shift takes the information, it may not get to the on-coming shift. That happens all the time too.

Good luck. We used to do that (fly Stiks out of the back of a pick-up) when I lived up in the northeast corner of this miserable state. It's a hoot.

Steve
Old 09-03-2003, 02:33 PM
RCDevote
Banned

Originally posted by Steve Campbell2
OTOH, if it is a laid-back rural locale, then the cops might have nothing better to do than see just what you're up to. One of the most dangerous things in the world, right behind a new second lieutenant with a map, is a bored policeman.

Steve
Boy O boy you said that right Steve...
Also when confronted or questioned about your activity's, be sure to be confident in your ability/experience (not arrogant) and state your case with safety as the number one priority. Also, be sure that you leave no doubt in anyones minds as to your ability to do this event as merely more than matter of fact. That you have years of experience dealing with these planes and are just plain certain that you have all your bases covered. Might be a good idea to have a back up TX on the same channel "just in case".

Also, excitement is infectious so be exited about the event and be sure to offer a good place to sit or watch either the landing or a checkpoint along the way in case the officer(s) wish to watch.
Confidence breeds security.
Good luck.

Still, I would'nt go looking for anyone to cancell the event for whatever their good reason.
There are folks that just live to pee on peoples parades.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:35 PM
Borzak
My Feedback: (2)

Hope you don't run into a law officer like this one.....

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...627&forumid=59]
Old 09-03-2003, 08:10 PM
Ron S

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

Hope you don't have any fliers like this one!...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthrea...6749&forumid=59
Old 09-03-2003, 08:20 PM
Luke 3D returns

that operation removing Borzak's foot from his mouth is going to be both very long and costly!
Old 09-03-2003, 08:31 PM
Buz^

It takes two or three tries for some people to get it.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:38 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Continued from the other thread......bwaaahaaaahaaa...borrawwwhaa

Poor Borzak= :drowning:
Old 09-03-2003, 11:53 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I think it could depend what part of the country your in. Out here in Green Acres, its not uncommon to see mom and granny sitting in a LazyBoy in the back of a 68 Chevy pickup thats heading for Walmart. So it wouldn't attract too much attention if you were sitting in the old recliner, in the back of the old Studebaker, with you feet kicked up and an antenna sticking out of you gut.

Howdy officer, I'm just listening to the game on my ol FM radio here. Think the Cornhuskers are ahead by five. That buzzin officer?, Must be dem mosquitoes. That airplane over there? It's so far away it almost looks like a model don't it? Why do I keep looking around? Well, I'm an avid bird watcher and I'm watching a big, red bird.