Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Ignorant people who should know better

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Ignorant people who should know better

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 05:33 PM
Borzak
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignorant people who should know better

Rant time.

Today at my flying field (Redstick RC - Baton Rouge, LA). I was flying and I was the only person at the club (as usual on a weekday).

Normally (our club fronts a busy road) people pull up in their car and watch and drive off or wait for you to stop flying and then ask questions.

We have a double chain link fence that clearly states every 3 feet "AMA Card Holders and PILOTS ONLY beyond this point".

Well having only soloed a month ago today I was being bold and practicing flying inverted for the first time down the lenght of the field etc... I was at the farthest pilot box away from the pit area/entrance - a good 250-300 feet at least from the fence with the signs on it.

I'm concentrating hard on my 6th flight of the morning when from nowhere I hear "HEY, how's it going" followed by a guy standing straight in front of me on the concrete pilot box BETWEEN me and my plane.

"What ya' doing!!?"

Here's the KICKER - the dumbass ignorant fool was a Louisiana State Trooper.

Guy scared the living crap out of me. After I regained my compusure and immediately landed me and the state trooper had words.

"Man - what the hell is wrong with you sneaking up on people (heavy car traffic behind me and the plane engine you can't hear cars drive into the parking lot and the grass was real wet) while they're flying a plane?"

"I didn't think it was a big deal" Trooper

I was so damn pissed I told the guy he had better leave now as I had almost lost my plane to the distraction of having a state trooper stand in my field of vision between me and an inverted plane.

Stupid son of a ***** never did understand what the big deal was. All he wanted to know was "I drive by here a lot and didn't know what this place was".

I guess he missed the 4x8foot sign that says "Red Stick Radio Control Flying Field". that his car was parked less than 4 feet from.

I called headquarters and explained what the idiot had done and his supervisior didn't understand either - even after I explained about the physics of a 6 pound model turning a 11" prop at 12,000 rpm slamming into a person/car/house (we have housed at the end of our field).

All I got from the supervisor was "Troopers have the right to go anywhere..."

God help us all - this guy carries a firearm for a living.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:36 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

So much for promoting the hobby to those who are interested and curious.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:39 PM
Borzak

Originally posted by P-51B
So much for promoting the hobby to those who are interested and curious.
he's lucky I didn't promote the hobby by slamming my plane into him or his car.....

What's wrong with waiting 2 minutes behind the flight line? Let me see you fly competently when someone stands 6 inches from your face between you and your plane and tries to converse with you.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:00 PM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

I agree somewhat. The guy was interested, but should NOT have been up there.
Those of us with what that trooper Steve called "IQ above room temperature" would read the signs and understand that...

I do think you went a little over the top on him though. He's gonna egg your house tonight muhahahahahaha JK
Old 09-03-2003, 06:01 PM
Steve Campbell2

Okay; here's the rest of the story.

BTW, Borzak, I am a Louisiana State Trooper.

I spoke with Mike Brooks, the Troop A supervisor on duty today. He took your call. I listened to the recording. You were a total jerk, ranting about "100 pound airplanes" and the "dumbass trooper", etc., etc. Mike tried to calm you down several times to get more information, but you kept running your mouth and finally hung up after he asked for your name.

He never got a chance to tell you that the reason the trooper was there in the first place was in response to a call about a model airplane buzzing the highway (State Highway 42 runs behind the field).

I used to be a member of that club, and it is easy to fly over the road, especially on a "missed approach" by someone who just soloed and is still building flying experience. Sounds to me, buck, like your lousy flying generated official attention. And the youngster was trying to be friendly about his official inquiry. I will be contacting the boy to let him know that most modelers are not total rectums.

So next time, be careful before you post. You never know who is watching. And why don't you call your fellow club member Jim Bentley and tell him he's an idiot? He's a trooper, too.

Have a large day...

Steve
Old 09-03-2003, 06:06 PM
Crashem

Steve Campbell2

That was just too funny. Talk about to sides to any story.

Bozak Sounds to me like you owe the trooper in question a BIG apology. Before you jump all over me remember Steve says he heard the tape of your phone call. Maybe Steve should bring a copy to the next club meeting!!!
Old 09-03-2003, 06:13 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

That was a classic!

Reminds me of the movie "The Replacements" where the guy is going on about how "I better not see no cops!" and the bad***** across the table sys, "I'm a cop".
Old 09-03-2003, 06:20 PM
_jon_
My Feedback: (4)

Bad mistake Borzak. This incident could haunt you right out of the hobby. If I were you, I'd be makin' several apologies, starting with the trooper that came out to your flying field.

Jon
Old 09-03-2003, 06:21 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

I can't believe how small this world is!

I was roaming through our state AMA club directory when I noticed a guy at a club 2 hours away had the same last name as me. I gave him some of my family history - and we found out we were cousins. AMAZING!
Old 09-03-2003, 06:31 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

It's certainly a small world.

I fly at a public field. We deal with specators all the time--it just goes with the territory. I've yet to have one sneak up on me, but I don't imagine it would bother me too much. There seem to be two types when it comes to RC: those who really concentrate on the flying, and those of us who don't mind conversation and distractions.

It's tough to fault a state trooper for doing what he did. It's kind of the nature of the job in a way. All that said, let's try to keep our tempers in check in the thread here.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:54 PM
gravityrulz

RAH ROH, thats pretty darn funny. it's definately a small world
Old 09-03-2003, 07:06 PM
cwat212

this will go down as a classic!!!!
Old 09-03-2003, 07:09 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, proof you should never trust what you read 100%.

The incident is regrettable but no harm no foul imo

For those that understand the jargon.. Trooper Campell "dropped science" on his arse.

happy landings

matt
Old 09-03-2003, 07:09 PM
Big Sasquatch

Well Borzac, Where did you go?

Take a deep breath, everything will be OK, just watch your speed while driving. Someone might be watching............

Really, I think you went way over the top with your reaction. So what if you crashed, it's going to happen sooner or later anyway. Distractions are part of the game.......deal with them.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:20 PM
P-51B

Steve,

Thanks for providing the "rest of the story", it's classic!

Hopefully Borzak will learn from this and try a little harder to "promote the hobby to those who are interested and curious" next time!
Old 09-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Crashem

Well Borzac, Where did you go?
Kurt Tank,

The answer to that is easy. He's down at the doctor's having his foot surgically removed from his mouth
Old 09-03-2003, 07:21 PM
P-51B

Originally posted by Crashem
Kurt Tank,

The answer to that is easy. He's down at the doctor's having his foot surgically removed from his mouth
That's gonna be one loooooooooooooooooooooong operation!
Old 09-03-2003, 07:32 PM
SunShyne

before we hang poor Borzak lets let him recover from the shock of crashing. That appears to be the core cause of his frustration. Anger, confusion, frustration are all felt in some form or another to many of when we crash. Part of the game..

We encourage and invite curious folks who happen to wander to our field. Only way to expand the hobby.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:34 PM
MadScientist

Gee, I can think of one person that fits the "Ignorant people who should know better" catagory, and it isn't the Trooper! Man, that's funny.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:38 PM
Crashem

before we hang poor Borzak lets let him recover from the shock of crashing. That appears to be the core cause of his frustration. Anger, confusion, frustration are all felt in some form or another to many of when we crash. Part of the game..
DiabloKid,

Where did you read crashing? Hhis initial post states...

After I regained my compusure and immediately landed me and the state trooper had words.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:41 PM
SunShyne

oops, well anyway maybe he got intimiated by him or was just plain shocked by the incident due to his skill level.

whatver the case no harm no foul. Bright side is we get a good story out of it.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:42 PM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

Definately a valuable lesson learned. He is probably out looking for a new field to fly at...
Old 09-03-2003, 07:47 PM
TomM

Great story. Don't pick on the guy- he's probably carefully composing his reply now-lol

Just another reason I don't fly alone (except for sailplanes). Having someone sneak up on you sucks. If I think I'll be the only one at the field, I'll bring SWMBO.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:47 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Originally posted by *Crash*Johnson*
Definately a valuable lesson learned. He is probably out looking for a new field to fly at...
Or another state to line in......
Old 09-03-2003, 07:48 PM
Steve Guinn

Oooh....he crashed, alright. Burned too. :stupid:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.