Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
I need  Advice.  Your 2 cent needed. >

I need Advice. Your 2 cent needed.

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

I need Advice. Your 2 cent needed.

Old 04-20-2002, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need Advice. Your 2 cent needed.

Trying a new model.... I purchased a 1/3 scale parachute airplane that I can't get to fly. I do however enjoy the getting chased off the flight line at least once in a while. What happens is it starts to take off ... springs into the air and climbs way way way up high about 10-12ft then stops flying and lands.... under full throttle, before the engine stops all of the parachutes lines get to looking like a fishing reel gone mad and it stops.... I thought it was the pilot so I repaired all it over and over and today the same thing...
Up then down then round and round.... Help me. I know how to fly... slope, thermal, g-shark/st4500 , funfly, pattern, sport, quickie,trainer, 2,3,4,5,6 channel fixed wings.... this one is screwing with my mind.... Any solutions... $500 model usually fly don't they? Your 2 cents please....
Old 04-21-2002, 01:52 AM
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

have you contacted the manufacturer on it? Maybe they will have some help for you
Old 04-22-2002, 11:25 AM
My Feedback: (1)

TIALAR,

It's not you. I had one of these with an OS .40fx and could never get it to fly. My best flight was about 30 seconds, hand launched into a 20 mph wind. I quit trying to figure it out.
Old 07-15-2002, 03:41 AM

wish someone would have told me sooner....I am the unhappy owner of an 1/8 scale powered parachute that has 0 flights, and about 30 crashes....I'm not giving up....but darn....i would not recommend the AirfoilAviation.com products to anyone...."I SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN A ZAGI....D'OH"
Old 07-15-2002, 05:17 AM

Default I think it may be simple...

Well, without seeing the thing, I can't be sure, but...

It sounds like something is causing too much initial lift. It could either be the rigging, (equivalent to too much angle of attack) or too much power. (too much wind blast from your prop, which again could cause too much lift.)

My theory is that since the thing is inherently draggy, that it reaches it's critical angle of attack at about the same point as it's maximum drag, and that causes what amounts to a "stall". Luckily, since it is a parachute, the stall causes the stuff hanging under it to force a lower angle of attack, and it does a parachute landing.

I've never flown one of these, but I went skydiving-crazy for a while, (about 180 jumps) and so that's my "armchair parachute machine flyer" theory. I suggest shortening the front lines a little, (if there's not an easier way to adjust the rigging) or contrary to what might seem right, try a little LESS power on takeoff.

Let us know if you work this out, so I can tell whether I have brain damage or not. Good luck.
Old 07-15-2002, 03:30 PM

tried it all.....the AoA on takeoff is almost always completely level (even at full-throttle with an engine larger than recommended; .25 {it had no lift whatsoever with the supplied .15}) and yet it glides like a brick....I'm taking the dimensions of mine and making a lighter version (without all the epoxy mends from crashes)....will see how it goes.

And JohnVH, I'm sure all of us have contacted Airfoil Aviation about our problems...In my experience, I got "well, our machines fly....yours should."
Old 07-15-2002, 11:43 PM

Default Have you tried this?

If your angle of attack is "level", then what I said above would not apply. For this thing to take off, it's will need a positive angle of attack. I would have thought that it would come rigged that way.

Have you tried shortening the rear lines? (or lengthening the front lines?)
Old 07-16-2002, 12:03 AM

shortened back lines and anti-flared (3-channel radio with mixing, stick down = slightly stalls the chute to land; flare....opposite is *SUPPOSED* to allow it to climb better) yet it didn't help....our models are obviously still prototypes that were tested once or twice before marketing as kit. Hopefully I'll stumble upon the airworthy formula one day.

Mike....you're a designer....how about trying your hand at making one of these things where they'll be able to fly without all the hassle? (I think www.airfoilaviation.com is trying to patent their designs, so you'll have to go a step above their definition of "scale" powered parachutes)
Old 07-16-2002, 12:17 AM

Default Get a plane!

KStelly,

I went and looked at the web site, and found what I expected. In normal (descent) mode, a ram-air parachute has a slightly negative angle of attack, and flaring it obviously kills the lift. Actually flaring it just slows it down, like flaperons, and the skydiver swinging out in front of it is what causes the angle of attack to (briefly) become positive.

Anyway, no offense, but I'm involved in a bunch of scale projects right now, and honestly don't have time to build and test one of these things. Did the manufacturer give you any rigging directions that you could post here, or that you could send me to look at? I could compare the directions/drawings with your particular setup, and try and help you trouble shoot it.

And...
The manufacturer should be doing this! If they're not helping, then I'd say you bought from the wrong company. If it were me, I'd attempt to get help from them, (I saw your post above.) or get a refund. If that didn't work, I'd complain to the "big cheese" at that company. If even he (or she) won't listen, then I'd just write it off, and forget about it. It really bothers me when a company gives poor customer support, and if politely explaining the problem doesn't get you some help, that's very sad.
Old 07-21-2002, 08:15 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Ebay it.
Old 07-22-2002, 03:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try advancing the throttle slowly. If you nail the gas it can swing the carriage too far forward to the drag of the sail kills the speed and stalls it.
Old 07-22-2002, 05:33 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm thinking what Gubbs is....just is getting to much power. It sounds like it would fly at an idle, especially 1/3 scale, that's got to be big. Try this, instead of trying to climb it out like an airplane, let it fly(well, as much as you might),,,at just a touch above idle, as soon as it breaks ground, DON'T try to gain altitude...just let it slowy lift, just a litlle above idle...another-words....soft-peddle it. Maybe it'll fly 3-4 feet off of the ground for several hundred feet, and the climb rate is incredibly low.
What I'm saying is it just may be one of those "easy-does-it" planes/things :stupid: . I've found this type of treatment works with most anything that won't fly otherwise.
Old 08-18-2002, 11:38 PM

Default Airfoil

This is usualy good flying machine.I talked to john when I got mine because I had the same problem.The problem was my lines where not long enough or to short I cannot remember but I sent it back to him (the chute) and he fixed it no problem.Try that he will help you as much as possible.Thanks,Hacksaw