Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Are we Geeks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 11:53 AM
carrellh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are we Geeks?

Are RC guys geeks? Probably, but so are most other hobbyists.

In the 80s my best friend and I built and raced a drag car
Early 90s was pistol shooting; just for fun
Mid 90s was the 'assemble my own computers' phase
Late 90s was a show car
2000s has been RC planes and a fairly simple home theater system

I think most people cannot understand why anyone would invest a lot of time and money in something they personally do not care about; so there must be something wrong with it and it needs a label.

Geek works and is not so offensive that it would start a fight.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:58 PM
aw2phillips
My Feedback: (2)

1300 Flight hours in MH60S "NAVYs BLACKHAWK"
Rescue Swimmer
Door gunner
War VET

I fly real HELOs monday threw Friday and then RC on the weekends! Its just a fun hobby!

Im no "GEEK",

Old 08-10-2012, 02:54 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a geek and proud of it.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:15 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We build & fly TOY airplanes, we talk/ treat them like they are real, are we GEEKS?? Pretty retorical question lol

Mike
Old 08-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wish I was a GEEK ! Then maybe I would own a software, or computer company. Then I would have a hell of a lot more money to enjoy the few hobbies that I do have.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:30 PM
thailazer

I was an electronics and amateur radio geek in my younger days and spent countless hours in the shop tinkering and building. At least RC gets me outside and into the art and romance of flying. I guess you can be a geek with any interest that you find yourself totally absorbed in.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:14 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a geek. I'm the guy in the neighborhood who people come to when they need something not easily come by. Or if they need something to disappear. Never to be screwed with.
I'm also pretty popular with the boy scouts during pinewood derby season.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:46 PM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

according to my coworkers I'm a geek and damn proud of it so I'll keep flying my airplanes!
Old 08-10-2012, 09:10 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

"I am a nerd and pretty proud of it!"
Old 08-11-2012, 12:07 AM
thailazer

ORIGINAL: vicman

Not a geek. I'm the guy in the neighborhood who people come to when they need something not easily come by. Or if they need something to disappear. Never to be screwed with.
I'm also pretty popular with the boy scouts during pinewood derby season.
In the whole spectrum of things I am pretty sure you are a lot closer to the "geek" end than the "tough guy" end since you are here posting on an internet forum. You ARE the friends you keep you know......
Old 08-11-2012, 12:40 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Geek". It's the new esoteric!

Old 08-11-2012, 02:21 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: luv2flyrc

We build & fly TOY airplanes, we talk/ treat them like they are real, are we GEEKS?? Pretty retorical question lol

Mike
They are real,, you're not imagining things
Old 08-11-2012, 04:54 AM
zippome

I asked my wife this question,and her response was....
" I don't know about ALL of them, but YOU are."
Hmmmm
Old 08-11-2012, 09:37 AM
sjpateys

Unfortunately we live in an age where being thick is actally preferable by the mainstream, its far more important to be attractive and wealthy- Kim Kardashian and co. are prime example.
Look at how everything including music is dumbed down and infantile. We have adults dressing and talking like teenagers, because of reality TV etc.
Why would these retards admire and have an interest in science and engineering? Its why the western world is falling behind Asia.

We live today in The Age of The Stupid. Read The Time Machine by H.G. Wells. It prophesised what is happening today very neatly.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Nodd

Couldn't agree more. And if you're like most folks these days & shudder at the thought of reading a book, the movie Idiocrcy also paints a vivid picture of a dumbed down dystopian society that we're unfortunately all headed towards...

www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/
Old 08-11-2012, 10:47 AM
saramos

ORIGINAL: sjpateys

Unfortunately we live in an age where being thick is actally preferable by the mainstream, its far more important to be attractive and wealthy- Kim Kardashian and co. are prime example.
Look at how everything including music is dumbed down and infantile. We have adults dressing and talking like teenagers, because of reality TV etc.
Why would these retards admire and have an interest in science and engineering? Its why the western world is falling behind Asia.

We live today in The Age of The Stupid. Read The Time Machine by H.G. Wells. It prophesised what is happening today very neatly.
While it's true that the admiration and interest in science and engineering has declined in percentage of the population, the need to, order to maintain a comfortable standard of living in western civilization, has proportionally decreased. I don't think that it's so much that we are falling behind Asia, rather I'm sure that as they catch up to the western world in technology and standard of living, the same will most likely happen to them.

Another SciFi title that comes to mind is the Foundation Series by Isaac Asimov.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:01 AM
sjpateys

Yes that's a good point, about Asia catching up and going the same way as us. Either way it looks like we're screwed. I can see a situation where we all end up unable to comprehend the science behind our modern world, as todays kids might be able to use their Iphones etc like an extension of themselves but do they know how the thing works? No.
I have a 16yr old niece who I think typifies all to many modern kids. She knows absolutely nothing about the world, not a sausage. You could ask her wher electricity came from, and you can bet money she would point at the wall socket, with an inane grin on her face.Where does beef come from? the supermarket. Unfortunately I'm not making this up.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:17 PM
saramos

ORIGINAL: sjpateys

Yes that's a good point, about Asia catching up and going the same way as us. Either way it looks like we're screwed. I can see a situation where we all end up unable to comprehend the science behind our modern world, as todays kids might be able to use their Iphones etc like an extension of themselves but do they know how the thing works? No.
While the percentage of people interested or pursuing science and engineering is in decline, the number of people pursuing engineering and science has still been on the incline. In the future, I'm sure that this trend will also go negative, but it doesn't necessarily spell the end for our standard of living. Again, it is the need that is important. In the industrialized world, food is overly abundant (hence the problem with obesity), but the number of people who produce food has been on a steady decline for perhaps a hundred or more years. There is no longer the need for a majority of people to be involved with growing our food.
What is does do, however, is to makes us more vulnerable to and more difficult to recover from natural, political, technological or economic disaster. We've seen a mild version of that over the last decade.

To bring it back to 'Geek', Geek is the new esoteric and our hobby is more esoteric every day. Even if we are not yet Geeks, we are becoming Geeks. After all, it's a perfect hobby for geeks. So many geeky, esoteric aspects to explore. There's the obvious woodworking, but also metalwork and machining, composites, electronics, programmable ICs, and the list goes on...
I already have a dedicated workshop with the obvious band saw, drill press, disk and belt sander, but even some of the more unusual like a mini table saw and CNC router. It's a geeks Paradise... at least to this geek.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:18 PM
yojoelay

Last weekend I went to a model train show with a mate (who flys) our kids and his wife. On the way out his wife asked, "so, who is a bigger geek? Airplane guys or train guys? We both answered, "train guys" at the same time (seriously, they we're anoraks, off the scale).

The annual show is on here in Brisbane (the Ekka) and it is full of country guys primping and preening their cattle, sheep, chickens, pigs dogs and cats for show to get a blue ribbon. The country womens association has a big baking competition. Everybody needs a hobby, it gives us a release for creative and competitive energy that is unique and satisfying.

Yojoelay
Old 08-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought train guys were nerds?
Old 08-11-2012, 07:44 PM
psb667

I prefer eccentric.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:36 PM
flyoz
My Feedback: (7)

Not Geek which is more an IT term
Not Nerd which is more a smart student term

We are .... Very cool hobbyists people, of whom all others are jealous

Old 08-11-2012, 11:02 PM
thailazer

With the things we have to know to successfully build and fly RC these days, we must be Renaissance Men!
Old 08-12-2012, 12:29 AM
flyoz
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: thailazer

With the things we have to know to successfully build and fly RC these days, we must be Renaissance Men!

Hmm that sounds good
Old 08-13-2012, 11:29 AM
psb667

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/...ource=activity these guys are geeks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.