Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

bad rc flying fields

Old 09-20-2012, 08:20 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: bad rc flying fields

He called the police because he got his feelings hurt?
Old 09-21-2012, 01:05 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds as if he went out that day looking for a fight. Sounds like he found one. Sounds like he got all butt hurt. Glad y'all have him in Texas and we don't have him in Florida. At least I own my own field and can make my own rules. I like others to come and share my flying field, but I don't like others to come and try to take over.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 09-21-2012, 03:15 AM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

This OP just pooped in his own box of Cheerios! I'd suggest he sell his RC stuff and use that money for anger management classes.

I get the impression he has been out there several times without paying membership dues? Flying as a guest is one thing but it reads like he just pops in at his own leisure and enjoys a freebie. How's that saying go, "when in Rome, do as the Romans do"? He was at a sanctioned AMA field with rules, regulations, procedures, and protocol! These fields aren't Romper Rooms for new kids with their toys.

The ONLY thing correct about his post was the "good ole boys" thing. After being in this hobby actively for the past 5 years in my area, I got the exact same impression from the local clubs I visited. That being said, I think I know a little bit more about why that is the case., and you can't convince me that there isn't a definite "air" to breath before being accepted in any club.

Yes, these clubs have their rite of passage as well they are allowed. Members have paid their dues, have gone through the apprenticeship of proving their concern for safety and respect and they will want you to walk that walk also. They have their personal tenure invested in becoming acquainted with fellow members as well as proving their passion for the hobby.

Are you going to walk right in, plop down your $100.00 or more and sit at the head of the table. NOPE. Are you going to have a safe, enjoyable, and insured flying experience. YUP. Are you going to be a total jerk and be disrespectful of a PRIVATE club and get away with it. NOPE.
Are you going to melt into the wax mold of fellow pilots that will become best friends and mentors to this sport? YUP.

I'd suggest that you find you a nice flat pasture somewhere. Take your icechest, beer, smokes and a few Glad bags so you'll have something to put your gear in when you knock them off. Maybe take a few extra bucks to bail out of the slammer for trespassing. It very well may be that too much water has passed under this bridge for you to go back out there with a handful of HANDWRITTEN apologies and kiss enough butt to be allowed to join that goup. Then again, I think all is well. You aren't flying out there, they don't have to pretend to like you,and you won't have lip blisters from smooching back pockets the rest of your life.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:25 AM
RiverLarry

+ 1 I cant beleve I read this whole thing !!!!
I thought the field it self was in bad shape not the people !!!! R/L

Old 09-21-2012, 03:45 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: propicts

I was also there that day ! And the person that started this thread...DID NOT TELL THE TRUTH of about 95% of this thread....including calling the Police and claiming
harassment ! Because someone asked if he was a member of the club and then asked if he had an AMA card. He went BALLISTIC, and that is being mild, nor did he
say he was thrown out of another club for his attitude !
As Paul Harvey used to say, "Now, you know the REST of the story!" There is always two sides to a coin in order to make the whole. Thanks for the post.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:51 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

We have had guys come out to one club and just flying like they are members and often someone will come up and ask, "Do you know that person? Is he a new member?" and a while later you realize the person is not a member To me that is like someone coming to your house and sitting down at the table and eating your food!

Ok, I know...not as drastic, yet it is the principle matter here.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:41 AM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

While I'm beating my drum, I'd like to say that after several visits to local clubs I'd like to make this statement.
My first few visits to a particular club left me feeling like I had leprosy.  Each time was a total disaster with the "good ole boys" acting like I had a pocket of C12 and a lit cigarette.

HOWEVER, I had just finished a giant Big Stick and mounted a 170 Radial up front and didn't want to maiden her on our rough renegade site so I took the trip to the Richardson Radio Control Club field just to watch others fly since obviously this wasn't going to be a fly day for me.

Well much to my suprise, after sitting in my truck for just a few minutes, this gentleman came up to my window and asked if I had anything to fly or if I had just come to watch.

I knew the rules and told him I was an AMA member but I was just out there to watch others fly since I wasn't a paying member.
Low and behold, this gentleman said he would be happy to sponsor me flying there once he inspected by aircraft which since it was brand new and never flown was a welcomed event.

Needless to say, a handshake, a formal introduction, a thorough going over my plane and a short dissertation about the layout of the flying arena, I was off and maiden flying this awesome looking big bird with that insane sounding 3 cylinder. 

I would like to personally thank Mr. Fred Welsh for that eventful day in June.  I believe he is the field safety officer.  Regardless, his newest title should be Field Safety/Social Newbie Welcoming Committee Officer.  I have never felt more welcomed at any event prior to that day.  Granted I will still go through the ranks of earning my status quo but Mr. Welsh opened the door to what I believe will be a long term association with a great group of fellow pilots that at some point in the future it will be me sitting on that bench watching some new whipper snapper drive up with his Pilot Extra 30cc  and thinking "here come some newbie that I have to put through pilot boot camp again".  LOL.

Thanks Fred.  YU DA MAN! 

Old 09-21-2012, 05:05 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Some folks are just lacking in common courtesy and/or common sense. We get some people who walk right into the field ,past all of the signs indicating you need to be a member and have AMA to go past this point, walk around the pits or even start dragging their equipment in while others ask if they can come in and look around or if they can come in and fly. We never turn anyone away who asks politely while we do stop those who just stroll in. It's all about human nature and you will have these types no matter what group,crowd, or organization you are in. Just have to deal with them!
Old 09-21-2012, 05:14 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: pmerritt

While I'm beating my drum, I'd like to say that after several visits to local clubs I'd like to make this statement.
My first few visits to a particular club left me feeling like I had leprosy. Each time was a total disaster with the "good ole boys" acting like I had a pocket of C12 and a lit cigarette.

HOWEVER, I had just finished a giant Big Stick and mounted a 170 Radial up frontand didn't want to maiden her on our rough renegade site soI took the trip to the Richardson Radio Control Club field just to watch others fly since obviously this wasn't going to be a fly day for me.

Well much to my suprise, after sitting in my truck for just a few minutes, this gentleman came up to my window and asked if I had anything to fly or if I had just come to watch.

I knew the rules and told him I was an AMA member but I was just out there to watch others fly since I wasn't a paying member.
Low and behold, this gentleman said he would be happy to sponsor me flying there once he inspected by aircraft which since it was brand new and never flown was a welcomed event.

Needless to say, a handshake, a formal introduction, a thorough going over my plane and a short dissertation about the layout of the flying arena, I was off and maiden flying this awesome looking big bird with that insane sounding 3 cylinder.

Now, that is the right way to do it. Maybe the OP is still reading and learn.

I would like to personally thank Mr. Fred Welsh for that eventful day in June. I believe he is the field safety officer. Regardless, his newest title should be Field Safety/Social NewbieWelcoming CommitteeOfficer. I have never felt more welcomed at any event prior to that day. Granted I will still go through the ranks of earning my status quo but Mr. Welsh opened the door to what I believe will be a long term association with a great group of fellow pilots that at some point in the future it will be me sitting on that bench watching some new whipper snapper drive up with his Pilot Extra 30cc and thinking "here come some newbie that I have to put through pilot boot camp again". LOL.

Thanks Fred. YU DA MAN!

Old 09-21-2012, 05:30 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Every club of any kind, RC or something else, has a set of good ol' boys that are the core of the club. And that's how it should be, because the good ol' boys are usually the ones who are emotionally invested and do most of the work as well as pay most of the dues. Without a core of committed people, no club of any kind will exist for long. When you start flying at a new location, you'll have two choices: become a good ol' boy yourself or stay an outsider. I'm pretty introverted when I'm out flying so I haven't become friends with a whole lot of guys at my club, but I do talk with people and show some friendliness. I also identified quickly who the socialites were in the club and made friends with them, because if they know you then you have someone to vouch for you. I've also volunteered when I could for events, which is the best thing you can possibly do to show the established guys that you're not some selfish goon that they should watch out for. I also make myself available for new pilot training for the same reason. What that has gotten me is help on anything that I needed whenever I needed it from guys way more experienced than myself, courtesy when I'm flying (which I also give to others), and a little grace when I've done things wrong. I can't claim to have achieved good ol' boy status just yet, but I am known and respected by the ones that have. Like it or not, RC clubs are clubs, not businesses. You are not a customer paying for a service (or in the case of the OP, not paying). You are an equal paying into a common fund to pool resources for a flying facility. If you're not paying then you're a guest of those who do, and must behave as such. Once we all understand that our clubs will stop having the problem of new guys showing up and getting offended that others didn't jump up to help them.

The OP said he's new to Killeen, and possibly new to Texas. If he keeps the attitude up, he won't be there long.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:43 AM
dalolyn
My Feedback: (7)

My first thought was "why would you get distracted from assembling your airplane?" If someone approached me I would use that as a conversation opener. And if you get distracted and cannot fly or almost crash when people are walking behind your or talking to you why are you at a club with people in the first place.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:57 AM
Taz_Hobbies
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: dalolyn

My first thought was "why would you get distracted from assembling your airplane?" If someone approached me I would use that as a conversation opener. And if you get distracted and cannot fly or almost crash when people are walking behind your or talking to you why are you at a club with people in the first place.
X100000000000000000000000000000000000000

Old 09-21-2012, 07:49 AM
kurt2022
My Feedback: (18)

I like how the OP stated that this was a "good ole boy" club as if to be a bad thing! He comes off as a entitled brat with no respect for anyone! Look what this fool did by calling the police because his feelings got hurt, he has alienated himself from this club and will find himself treated poorly(shunned) at other local clubs as his bad deeds are passed along! The two clubs I am a member of are desperatly needing replacements for the older members that are getting out of the hobby for a number of reasons, but to accept an idiot like this to improve the head count would be suicide for my two clubs or others! I, being the safety officer at one club, if this would have happened on my watch, I would have personally shown him to the other side of the front gate and dared him to cross it again!
Old 09-21-2012, 07:58 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Hey Roger, havn't heard back from you since you posted.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:48 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

ORIGINAL: init4fun

ORIGINAL: roger8568

I am new to killeen texas and wanted to find a new club. I started to fly at the rc flying site at stillhouse lake near killeen Tx. My first impression was that this was a good old boy club. And not to my surprise it was. At first i was asked the usual questions i.e. do i have an AMA card. My fears were answered just after 3 weekends at this field. On my 3rd visit two club members approached me demanding my AMA card to be put in the field frequency control area this i had no issue with. What i did have an issue with was that they asked while i was assembling my aircraft. This could have caused me to miss something important. Luckily i always double check. Then when i did get my card on the freq box i set it in the slot under my radio#. In a 2.4 ghz control area. Any moron would figure if the only AMA card that was up on the board and a pin missing would most likely be the radio it belong to. And if i am not mistaking i beleave there is....... my name on the card......... they could have asked. But nope while i was flying. One of the bright morons decided to grab my card walk up behind me while i was coming in for a landing and stand behind me. Well he distracted me and i almost crashed my airplane. Luckily i am a better flyer then he is bright. Well more to follow. But i need to go for now

Gotta be level with ya here , , , It looks like your lookin for reason to be angry more that these guys are !

At any field where the whole card in slot and frequency pin thing is in use , normal convention is that most guys put their card up and get their pin BEFORE beginning to set up aircraft ! ..... Here is your for instance ;

You havn't yet gone to the board and begin "setting up" your plane . During this "set up" , you decide your gonna check your aileron servos . You turn on your system and promptly crash the plane of the guy who has already been to the board , got the pin , and is now properly flying his plane on the same frequency that you just switched on to !!!! Whose fault ? , , Well , certainly NOT the guy who got the pin BEFORE his TX went on , right ?

Your whole "They walked up and disturbed my preflight zen ritual" drivel makes me happy that you fly far away from where I do ....... [:@]
Wrong at most fields and I fly at 6, if you are on 72 mhz you get the card when your ready to fly and put it back and take your club/AMA card. This is a courtsy to fellow flyers that might be on your channle. One club, close to 30 members now because of 2.4 and no need for a pin makes you display your AMA card with the club sticker on it on your person or radio when you are flying so they know you are a paid member. Guests pay a $10 per day flying fee and display their AMA card and the pay stub from their Park Registration. Because it is a county park and they don't pay to fly they are subject to a $250 fine if caught buy a park ranger. Now that's stiff but I didn't mke the ruels.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:02 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

ORIGINAL: dasintex

Hey Roger, havn't heard back from you since you posted, not finding much support here scared you off I guess.
Most clubs are "GOOD O"L BOY CLUBS" until U get to know the members. One of the clubs I fly at in AZ for the last 10 years has so many KLICKS ya wonder how they servive ... infact it was almost 6 years before most even attempt to talk with me... Infact the first 2 years I felt so nerves, that after I had paid my $75 yearly dues I only flew there ounce each year. It behoves every new commer to find out what the rules and proceedures are so one fits in and doesn't disturb the statice Quoue. Our Hobby/Sport can be very dangerious to the inexperianced and to by standers. Because of this we all have war stories about the person that thinks they are a good RC pilot and every one else heads for the protection of the shelter when these types head for the flight line.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:07 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

I love to tell this story about visiting a club in Florida.
My wife and I were on the way home from a fly-in when she saw a flee-market she wanted to go too.
I found a field close by so I said I'll fly there and you shop.
I pulled in and found a group of older men all with 40 size planes. Now I was pulling a trailer. I got out of the car and asked them if I could fly while my wife shopped. They told it was OK but the club rules were that the safety officer had to buddy-box with me the first time. I said great give him a call while I get my plane ready.
I parked the trailer and my wife took off.
Everybody came over to see what I had while we waited for "Ralph" As I was unloading my 46% bipe I heard one say. "can't wait to see Ralph's face on this one"
As Ralph walked up with his 4 ch. radio and cord the look on his face was worth the whole trip. I handed him my 10X and said we'll figure out to use the buddy-box.
It seems no one there has ever seen a GS plane before. He told me that he thought it was a good idea for me to fly while he just stood next to me.
I had a great time that day and offered to hand the radio to any body that wanted to fly the plane. A few took me up on it and were amazed how easy a GS plane flew.
The whole purpose of this story is, It's their field and their rules and I had a great time because I did it their way. Dennis
Old 09-21-2012, 09:51 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

deleted
Old 09-21-2012, 10:28 AM
roger8568
My Feedback: (23)

Thrown out of another club HAHAHAHAH really.....Never Happened. ok going blistic really have someone constently get in your face and show me how you would react....polightly ...I THINK NOT!!! so the good ole boys here to defind there actions defending shows guilt and I don't need to defind my actions. I have flown with some of the best pilots in the world and all I can say is WOW!!! but that is ok and yes I do expect that members would show up here and this is why I started this thread. TO WARN OTHERS!!! Bashing me for telling the truth is showing you lied in the first place. Please to all members THERE ARE A LOT OF GREAT MEMBERS IN THIS CLUB AND ONLY A FEW BAD MEMBERS. I counted 6 members that are the bad apples. The great news is there are great clubs out there and I encurrage true flyer to find there club. Just be carefull with this one.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:34 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Remove post .....
Old 09-21-2012, 10:38 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: roger8568

Thrown out of another club HAHAHAHAH really.....Never Happened. ok going blistic really have someone constently get in your face and show me how you would react....polightly ...I THINK NOT!!! so the good ole boys here to defind there actions defending shows guilt and I don't need to defind my actions. I have flown with some of the best pilots in the world and all I can say is WOW!!! but that is ok and yes I do expect that members would show up here and this is why I started this thread. TO WARN OTHERS!!! Bashing me for telling the truth is showing you lied in the first place. Please to all members THERE ARE A LOT OF GREAT MEMBERS IN THIS CLUB AND ONLY A FEW BAD MEMBERS. I counted 6 members that are the bad apples. The great news is there are great clubs out there and I encurrage true flyer to find there club. Just be carefull with this one.

[] I still think the problem is on your end , and not the club !

Why didn't you tell us that you called the cops when asked for your AMA card ? Don't ya think THAT'S an important part of this story ?

You went lookin for a fight , and found one . Try being nicer at your next club , and maybe the nice will be returned ???
Old 09-21-2012, 11:26 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

I see the OPs point, he wanted to fly as a guest for the third time, not paying dues and please nobody bother me asking me for my AMA card.
If you dare doing that I will call the police on you. Are you for real????[X(]
Old 09-21-2012, 12:05 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

So was this a private club on private land or a location open to the public that a club just happens tp operate from also?? Something is just odd here
Old 09-21-2012, 12:12 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

This is what I find sad about the internet. This thread serves no purpose but to cause trouble. The OP admits that he knew the club members would come on. The disagreement started at the field and it should have stayed there. Dennis
Old 09-21-2012, 12:24 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Scale- he's been Pm'ing me and said that it's on leased Corps of Engineers land. That makes it private property, although we'd need to see the club constitution and any signage at the location to know what the actual policies on guest flyers are.

FWIW, I get the impression that the vast majority of RC pilots want to see new guys join their clubs. If nothing else, it's someone else to cover the cost of operating and one more person to call on when work needs to be done. But most of us also have very little patience with jerks and freeloaders. Of the various hobbies I've been into, this one is the least tolerant of people not doing things the right way. I suppose aviation draws people who are that way. I like it personally. There is a discipline about RC flying that makes entitled people and sloppy people feel unwelcome. I hope it never changes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.