Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

LHS no longer takes my phone order unless I pay up front

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

LHS no longer takes my phone order unless I pay up front

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LHS no longer takes my phone order unless I pay up front

AdVenture Hobbies, Wheeling IL.

Former Venture Hobbies, has been my mainstay for almost 15 years. I have always done business with them first, because I believe in supporting my LHS... and because they were very convenient. For the entire span of time I have been a customer, I have been able to call in a parts order and pay for it when I pick up. NOT provide a credit card number up front... especially when they ask for the 3-digit code on the back, which I simply refuse to give out over the phone. When I called the owner out about this, he stuck to his guns, even after I threatened to end our relationship. Good for him, I guess... but if he were to look at my lifetime purchase history, he might think again!

[/rant]
Old 10-02-2012, 01:07 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: LHS no longer takes my phone order unless I pay up front

His House, His Rules,, you have to choose to play his game or not.

Vendors asking for the 3 digit code is common place in over the phone and internet transactions,, it proves you actually have the card, not just a carbon.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:28 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Normally when businesses resort to these kinds of practices, it is more about their state of health than it is about your credibility. They are on the ropes and are probably on a COD basis with their suppliers. I would look for this business to fold shortly. Sad for them, sad for you. Nobody wins.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:40 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will always be asked for the 3 digit code on the back of the card, if you are not presenting the card to be swiped. As stated earlier, that is proof you have the card in hand, and the the reason for the code. If the merchant does not get that number, or swipe the card, he has not protection from fraud.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:20 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper

Normally when businesses resort to these kinds of practices, it is more about their state of health than it is about your credibility. They are on the ropes and are probably on a COD basis with their suppliers. I would look for this business to fold shortly. Sad for them, sad for you. Nobody wins.
Or the other possibility is he has ordered to much merchandise for people that does not get picked up. Special orders in my store are paid for ahead of time because I have too much dead inventory from orders not picked up.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:32 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

That's likely it right there. If you've never worked retail you simply don't realize how many goofballs will order items that no one else will want, then go get them someplace else. Yes, you've been a customer for a long time, but that doesn't make you special. Everybody who calls that store thinks the same thing- "But it's me! You know I'm good for it!." The store probably has a $400 kit sitting on the shelf right now that some longtime customer had him order that he'll never be able to sell.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:10 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Times are tight,, even well established businesses don't have the credit they once did from distributers. Vendors I deal with all want at least half payment up front, most full. So I do the same to my customers. They want me to order Custom Doors, Windows or Cabinets, I need a full value "Cash or Check" deposit if it's more than a couple hundred $$. If they don't have the cash I don't do the job.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:09 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Same in my store. Special orders that can't be sold easily have to have a 50% down. I not picked up in 30 days are sold or returned if i can. Even with the 50% down you wouldn't believe how much stuff I have that has never been pick up. Dennis
Old 10-03-2012, 09:12 AM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually, if it's a special order, it's something that doesn't sell. Extreme few people ever need it or want it. Otherwise, it would be in inventory. A shop owner can't afford to waste space on items that do not sell.

So if the customer is ordering something that is not a "seller", then the shop wants to get some kind of assurance that the customer that ordered it will pick it up.

However, with the long history of being a loyal customer would seem to over ride this rule. But that's the problem now isn't it. The rule has to be enforced on any and all customers. You never want to alien any customer by breaking the rule for some and not others. it's a hard road to hold, but it has to be that way.

The last thing a shop owner wants to hear is, "You didn't charge Joe up front, Why me?"

Frank
Old 10-03-2012, 09:36 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

My really good customers know about the 50% and never ask. The new ones are told at the field what my policy is so there is no hard feelings. Dennis
Old 10-03-2012, 11:35 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I get away with emailing an order to my LHS, but the owner attended my wedding.

I worked for him for over a year and know exactly the shenanigans that people try to pull on special orders. Part of my duties were to expedite the special orders, the excuses I used to get were unbelievable.

Anywhere else, I'd expect to at least have to leave a percentage deposit, or just like ordering online, credit card up front. You give the online stores the courtesy of pre-payment, why not your friend?
Old 10-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys all make a good point. I guess it just feels like....

"If Don still owned this shop, this would never be an issue"!!

Oh, well. [&o]
Old 10-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

It's hard when a business has to change policies - both on the customers and the business. It's not personal, but customers take it personally. It's necessary for the health of the business.

Back when I was buying a lot of R/C stuff from Tower, I approached the owner of the LHS and asked him if he would special-order me a Futaba system better than he stocked, and offered to pay cash up front at the time of order. He was happy to do so - and beat Tower's price substantially. I subsequently bought several more radios and other big-ticket items from him the same way.

Why would he be so accommodating? ZERO risk to him - he was not fronting the cost nor tying up his credit.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:07 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

My LHS does the same, and I see no problem giving the 3-digit code. If you're not willing to do so, just drive to the store and pick up your order. It's a safer transaction for both of you, keeps his prices down in the long run.