Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Is Flying FPV Over a Neighborhood OK?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, I think it is OK to fly FPV directly over people or houses
11.86%
No, it is never OK to fly FPV directly over people or houses
88.14%
Voters: 312. You may not vote on this poll

Is Flying FPV Over a Neighborhood OK?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 05:05 AM
topspin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is Flying FPV Over a Neighborhood OK?

Flying FPV over a neighborhood is childish and stupid. It is reckless and a single incident can endanger the reputation of the hobby for everyone. Brandon429 reminds me of an aging B movie personality who constanly seeks to get their name in the paper to keep alive in the public eye. I don't think I have ever seen a more attention starved individual. It's sad really, I haven't seen this on RCU since I joined.

In any case I'm going to ask the Moderators to close this poll as it has served it's purpose and is now just being used as a sounding board.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:37 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Topspin, + 1 Brandon

Frank
Old 10-26-2012, 03:31 AM
brandon429

Your maturity is not shocking to your peers countilaw and topspin, they've seen you act like this before in other areas of shining maturity I'm sure. All anyone needs to do is look at your posts in the two threads to see how much of a distraction you were and how pathetic/wrong your posts were, be proud of your works lol

What i read sounds foolish, overhyped, and uninformed

The fact you would continue these useless posts doesn't surprise me Frank, you don't strike me as a smart or well read guy. Topspin probably used to be

you guys are a joke
Look at how topspin's last post was edited several times to get where he's at now with the b movie line, that's his best after 48 hrs of consideration heh
Go show your wives your posts, see if they are proud

You live large through your online typing, pretty typical. My fpv flight was tame compared to others I've seen here.

The fact rc ken allows you two to keep posting this stuff is equally laughable
He's pm'd me ten times, edited my posts for far less commentary, even this message will disappear while the above posts remain, you three don't surprise me at all.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:41 AM
brandon429

All yesterday the thread was locked, then its unlocked to allow topspins edit and Franks post? Just a laughable joke both in management and post consideration. Ken will delete my posts and let these two remain a shining example of board censure leftovers, nice going!
Old 04-08-2013, 11:17 AM
bipe2
My Feedback: (2)

i have been in this hobby for a lot of years but i dont have the foggest idea of what a fpv is am i the only one?
Old 04-08-2013, 11:20 AM
bipe2

i have been in this hobby for a lot of years but i dont have the foggest idea of what a fpv is am i the only one?
Old 04-08-2013, 11:23 AM
bipe2

Old 04-09-2013, 05:26 PM
eddieC

FPV is 'first-person view', where an rc pilot has a camera in the aircraft and flies the plane wearing glasses or using a computer by reference to the camera viewpoint. Google would explain it better. 

I'm sorry and  I must agree with the majority of the people on here

'Agree with the majority without question, conforrm at all costs', doesn't sound like the America I care to live in. Thank God it's not and we have the freedom to choose, to experiment, and even to disagree. History has shown many times that naysayers are frequently wrong. It's a good thing the Wrights didn't listen to their detractors. 

There are planes flying overhead that occasionally drop blue ice, tires, and even flight controls like flaps, and no one hollers about 'the sky is falling'. A sub-1lb. foamy can do very slight damage, period. That's just a very weak argument. 

As far as invasion/expectation of privacy, we're all going to find out shortly about where those lines are thanks to government drone policy, and most won't like it. I'll bet the same naysayers will buckle and won't say a word for fear of the gov't. 

The technology is here, the innovators will continue to find new ways to implement it. 

It's called Progress. 

Old 04-09-2013, 07:33 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Oh geez, now we're going to make flying FPV over people's houses an exercise of American freedom? Ok. Let's talk about that. I think most of us would agree that we are less free today than we were 60 years ago. Our lives are considerably more regulated and lots of things we could get easily are now banned or extremely expensive. Lets looks at a few examples:

Smoking- before the 90's, you could smoke just about anywhere you wanted to, with a few very reasonable exceptions. Now you can't do it hardly anywhere besides your own property.
Alcohol- There used to be no minimum drinking age, then it was 18, now it's 21.
Driving speed- There used to be no speed limit. Now you'll get fined for exceeding 55 on most roads, 70 on most interstates.
Guns- Don't get me started...
Business- It used to be easy to start a business and make a profit if you had a good idea. Now it costs a fortune because of regulations, fees, and extra equipment.

I could go on, but this is enough to make my point, which is simply that we lost some of our freedoms in these areas simply because we abused our freedoms in these areas. Jerks bothered people with their smoking, idiots killed people driving too fast (often while intoxicated), businesses mistreated their employees, and too many people sold guns to criminals. So the government stepped in to regulate those things because the populace showed that it wouldn't self-regulate. Now in our tiny little part of society we have FPV pilots. If they will self-regulate and maintain the standard of not even appearing to be unsafe or irresponsible, we will keep our freedoms. But the videos I see and some of the threads I read say they won't, and so we will eventually have new regulations to deal with. Once these goons ruin this hobby, they'll move on to something else and we'll then have to deal with the consequences.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:31 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anybody ever thought of buying personal liability insurance, or approached a pilot insurance company about insurance for FPV?

I sure would not think of trying AMA to get to cover it.

Now to FPV... with my GA private pilots license, I can currently fly over just about any ones home... (not white house and similar ilk). Guys build home-built planes and ultralights all the time... It is possible to build a sound aircraft and have it inspected as airworthy... so lets just get the rules down and lets get flying FPV... now we are going to have to talk about video frequencies and autopilot gear etc... but lets get the process going.

The air above your home does not belong to you never did... so if they would just get cracking and release some guidelines so we can get together on this issue.