Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Is Flying FPV Over a Neighborhood OK?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, I think it is OK to fly FPV directly over people or houses
11.86%
No, it is never OK to fly FPV directly over people or houses
88.14%
Voters: 312. You may not vote on this poll

Is Flying FPV Over a Neighborhood OK?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 05:53 AM
topspin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Flying FPV Over a Neighborhood OK?

Lets see what the general consensus is about flying FPV over a populated area either day or night.

Please vote and provide your thoughs on topic please.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:14 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is Flying FPV Over a Neighborhood OK?

As in the other thread I stand firm in my opinion that there is too much risk flying radio-control craft over homes, developments, roadways, no matter the weight of the craft...especially FPV. Fly that type of vehicle at an organized club field or out in an isolated area. You can't control who comes in/out of their homes,walks on the sidewalk/yards, or drives down the streets. You also can't determine if your vehicle will have a trouble-free flight,crashing ,causing injury to someone or damage to property. As a homeowner with too much to loose , I would never take that gamble.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:49 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I will start by saying that I do not fly FPV of any kind .

Were I to fly in that manner , The only insurance I could count on for an incident would be either my Homeowner's or the AMA , whichever the lawyers squeezed hard enough to pay out the claim . Now , I have never seen a set of safe FPV flying rules from my homeowners ins and I doubt I ever will . Sooo , This leaves me to have to default to the only established set of safe operating guidelines i know of , the AMA document #550 . Within this document is everything that must be done to keep the activity within the scope of the insurance coverage . Fly outside any of 550's restrictions , and fly unprotected . Cause I'm darned sure that once the homeowners ins co gets wind of the AMA's insurer's refusal to pay for not following good ol 550 , they will use the refusal to follow established safety norms as reason to deny the claim as well .

So , In a nutshell , if the Pilot in command does not have visual contact with the plane , with the FPVer on the student end of the buddy box , then they are (he is , the lone flyer without the direct visual pilot in command) in the wrong FROM THE MOMENT THE PLANE TAKES OFF !
Old 10-17-2012, 09:28 AM
brandon429

To read the context topspin is leaving out in this poll, see thread above about 12am garage launch. The title should give an option of planes to choose from, including toy type planes converted into cam flyers. Top left out a lot of detail that is found in the other thread. If you vote no, you vote no to kids playing with park zone embers on your block. Cams don't change safety. Topspin wrote some pretty embarrassing commentary on the other thread, which is why he didn't link it here or carry over any of the context of the discussion.

We had discussed at length how ama regs for park flying put the same foamy planes around people, yet that qualifies you for a payout even though non rc people were in the park when the plane lost control and did whatever it did.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:41 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: brandon429
If you vote no, you vote no to kids playing with park zone embers on your block.

You get a lot of mileage from that straw man.

I taught my six year old to fly and we fly fixed wing and helis on our cul de sac. This is NOT the same as the the poll question at all.

EDIT:

Let me help you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man
Old 10-17-2012, 09:56 AM
brandon429

If a cam was on that little trainer, would it have become dangerous?
Old 10-17-2012, 10:21 AM
mr_matt

If a cam was on that little trainer, would it have become dangerous?

Nope in fact we have done that on a Radian (non FPV). We also drop GI Joes with parachutes but not in the cul de sac.

I also plan on getting a Naza F450 soon for FPV.

What does any of this have to do with the poll question? (that is a trick question, it has nothing to do with the poll)
Old 10-17-2012, 10:33 AM
brandon429

You just admitted flying planes on a block.

That's my entire point, thanks for not taking seven pages this time to admit it

I flew a show stick over my block but apparently if it was the smaller planes you endorse things would be fine lol.

Subjectivity and context are both missing and rampant here in top spins little poll.

Be sure and read his posts in the big garage launch thread before voting here.

The one thing we've arrived at is that a slow stick is too big and dangerous, but other planes aren't.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:05 AM
mr_matt

You just admitted flying planes on a block.

That's my entire point, thanks for not taking seven pages this time to admit it

I flew a show stick over my block but apparently if it was the smaller planes you endorse things would be fine lol.

This is wearing thin. I have said for pages that I fly on my cul de sac, in my driveway and in my yard. So does my son. We don't fly over people or houses.

Two different things....period. NOT the same. "Flying over houses" is not the same as "not flying over houses"

I don't fly over houses, you do.

The poll is about flying over people and houses. Not about the size of the plane or anything else.

I don't see how you are making these leaps other than you have run out of logic. You are starting to sound like one of those Star Trek computers when you asked it a question it can't answer, is smoke coming out of your ears LOL?
Old 10-17-2012, 11:06 AM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: topspin
Lets see what the general consensus is about flying FPV over a populated area either day or night.
Please vote and provide your thoughs on topic please.
My thought is not limited to FPV. In my opinion it is never OK to fly any model aircraft directly over people or houses at any time.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:19 AM
brandon429

Even toy planes like a vapor? They demo toy grade rc in malls with crowds of people. Maybe that's dangerous too.

Matt what's wearing thin is you guys attempt to make people consider the poll including .60 trainers

Top spin started this poll in response to the other thread, where he couldn't win. If someone thinks toy grade rc should never be flown on a block that's fine.
What I'm amazed at is how there are three yes votes, i only voted once.

Looks like type of plane matters. It mattered enough to you Matt to qualify what kind of plane you flew on your block, just like i did.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:33 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok guys, I've already had to step in and take actions in this thread. Let's keep the thread here on topic of what the poll was asked. The question was asked in a generic form about flying ANY FPV. Not specific planes. Please do not try to drag the discussion from other threads into this poll because they are not germane to what is being asked here. Had the OP wanted to include specific planes, or plane types, in consideration of the question then he would have put that into his poll. The OP asked the question in a certain way for whatever reason he did so, please respect his desires and keep the discussion on that topic.
Since this is a poll it is going to be watched a little bit tighter than for a regular discussion thread because it has a different purpose than a regular discussion thread. For whatever reason he did so, the OP asked his question in this manner so that he can gather data about that specific question. If for whatever reason you feel that you can't answer within the confines of the question then maybe you should refrain from entering into the poll or the discussion.
Ken
Old 10-17-2012, 12:37 PM
mr_matt

Although we may know the risk is low for flying (small or very small) planes over people and houses, many of those people do not know. And although we think this is the funnest thing ever, those people may not.

From what I have seen in and around parks, the local authorities have a big problem when you fly over peoples heads, I am pretty sure they would have a problem in this case as well.

If a local municipality want to ban something, they can. And if we are such a minority we get banned and there is no recourse as there are not enough of us to band together. Our best hope for collective strength (at this point) is the AMA. And I don't think this type of flying would be allowed under AMA rules.

I understand the AMA might be close to relaxing FPV restrictions, I think that is very forward thinking of them. If I were invested in FPV I would get involved at the AMA during the rules making meetings in Muncie, I did this when turbines were coming under scrutiny several years ago and now we have a set of rules I can live with. Hopefully the FPV enthusiast that wants to operate under AMA rules will get involved with the AMA rulemaking to push things in the direction they want.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:34 PM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

Although we may know the risk is low for flying (small or very small) planes over people and houses, many of those people do not know. And although we think this is the funnest thing ever, those people may not.

From what I have seen in and around parks, the local authorities have a big problem when you fly over peoples heads, I am pretty sure they would have a problem in this case as well.

If a local municipality want to ban something, they can. And if we are such a minority we get banned and there is no recourse as there are not enough of us to band together. Our best hope for collective strength (at this point) is the AMA. And I don't think this type of flying would be allowed under AMA rules.

I understand the AMA might be close to relaxing FPV restrictions, I think that is very forward thinking of them. If I were invested in FPV I would get involved at the AMA during the rules making meetings in Muncie, I did this when turbines were coming under scrutiny several years ago and now we have a set of rules I can live with. Hopefully the FPV enthusiast that wants to operate under AMA rules will get involved with the AMA rulemaking to push things in the direction they want.
Number one in the AMA safety code under RC is "All pilots shall avoid flying directly over unprotected people, vessels, vehicles or structures and shall avoid endangerment of life and property of others."
I've always followed that advice, and always will.
I think others, AMA or not, should as well.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:36 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A local community banned flying in the parks due to the flying over other park goers heads. (along with flying in parking lots)

They could very easily ban flying anywhere within the city limits.

As a kid I remember the 4th of July bar-b-ques with fireworks when it got dark. Are there any cities that allow pyrotecnics (fireworks) within there city limits now? There are not any that I know of.

If a city can ban the fireworks, they can ban the flying of model aircraft.

How many flying clubs have flying sites within the limits of a city? I have no idea, but I could venture a guess that 50% of the clubs have flying fields within a city limit. If cities banned the flying of aircraft within their city limits, how many clubs would lose thier flying field?

A stunt of flying a FPV at night or during the day over persons homes, vehicles or children could be the act that opens the door for such bans.

Clubs all over the country are doing everything can to protect their flying site and this activity jepordizes all that we have done to foster comminity good will.

Frank

Old 10-17-2012, 02:51 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: countilaw

A local community banned flying in the parks due to the flying over other park goers heads. (along with flying in parking lots)

They could very easily ban flying anywhere within the city limits.

As a kid I remember the 4th of July bar-b-ques with fireworks when it got dark. Are there any cities that allow pyrotecnics (fireworks) within there city limits now? There are not any that I know of.

If a city can ban the fireworks, they can ban the flying of model aircraft.

How many flying clubs have flying sites within the limits of a city? I have no idea, but I could venture a guess that 50% of the clubs have flying fields within a city limit. If cities banned the flying of aircraft within their city limits, how many clubs would lose thier flying field?

A stunt of flying a FPV at night or during the day over persons homes, vehicles or children could be the act that opens the door for such bans.

Clubs all over the country are doing everything can to protect their flying site and this activity jepordizes all that we have done to foster comminity good will.

Frank

A big thumbs up. This post echos my thoughts.
John
Old 10-17-2012, 03:02 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Ok guys, I've already had to step in and take actions in this thread. Let's keep the thread here on topic of what the poll was asked. The question was asked in a generic form about flying ANY FPV. Not specific planes. Please do not try to drag the discussion from other threads into this poll because they are not germane to what is being asked here. Had the OP wanted to include specific planes, or plane types, in consideration of the question then he would have put that into his poll. The OP asked the question in a certain way for whatever reason he did so, please respect his desires and keep the discussion on that topic.
Since this is a poll it is going to be watched a little bit tighter than for a regular discussion thread because it has a different purpose than a regular discussion thread. For whatever reason he did so, the OP asked his question in this manner so that he can gather data about that specific question. If for whatever reason you feel that you can't answer within the confines of the question then maybe you should refrain from entering into the poll or the discussion.
Ken
Kudos for actually stepping in and moderating all these forums and threads , not just this one. It's refreshing to see this activity as opposed to just letting the threads run amok and/or waiting for a user to "report" something like ........uh'hum.....another rc site operates.
Thanks!
Brian

Old 10-17-2012, 03:47 PM
rowdyjoe
My Feedback: (9)

There's a problem with the question.  It doesn't clarify whether it's a commercial or government operated FPV vehicle.  For us peons, the answer is NO.  For "big brother" the answer is "we'll do what ever we want whether you like it or not". 

Frankly, the commercial and gov't drones don't bother me in a security or law enforcement sense (ie. privacy) but, it does bother me for safety reasons.  We already have eye-in-the-sky helicopters so, privacy is already compromised.  However, who pays the bill when one of them falls out of the sky into someone's roof or car or on person?  I'm willing to bet it will be the taxpayers and that's where I have a problem.

RJ
Old 10-17-2012, 05:12 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Not only is it unsafe, i think it is an invasion of privacy and just might get shot down in my neighborhood.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:00 PM
2walla

There are a whole bunch of issues with this. From the safety aspect you could probably come up with a plane that could be flown with minimal risk based either on size or redundant systems. From a rights perspective what privacy should people be afforded? In reality big brother can read the expiration date on your hot dog wrappers from a satellite as you stand out by the bbq. But should every yahoo with a $50 camera and a slow stick be able to fly around and look at you over the fence??
Old 10-17-2012, 06:56 PM
topspin

ORIGINAL: rowdyjoe

There's a problem with the question. It doesn't clarify whether it's a commercial or government operated FPV vehicle. For us peons, the answer is NO. For ''big brother'' the answer is ''we'll do what ever we want whether you like it or not''.

Frankly, the commercial and gov't drones don't bother me in a security or law enforcement sense (ie. privacy) but, it does bother me for safety reasons. We already have eye-in-the-sky helicopters so, privacy is already compromised. However, who pays the bill when one of them falls out of the sky into someone's roof or car or on person? I'm willing to bet it will be the taxpayers and that's where I have a problem.

RJ

Let me clarify for everyone, not just rowdyjoe. This is a model airplane site and we are talking about model airplanes being controlled by FPV. Government systems are a completely different topic for discussion somewhere else.

Also, this thread is not about privacy issues, it is about your thoughts on flying an FPV controlled model aircraft over people and houses. You might want to weigh in on that issue and we can discuss the other issues in another thread.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:47 PM
AlmondRancher

Iagree with Carell's post 100%.

- Allan B
Old 10-17-2012, 09:54 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think it is unsafe I would not do it myself.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:39 AM
bruceal

Besides not being in accordance with AMA rules, when a person sees a model airplane flying over their house, they have no idea what FPV is. All they see is a model being being flown where it is not supposed to be. FPV is a truly amazing thing,however it also opens up a whole set of problems. We have all seen flying fields go away because people don't want the noise. Imagine residents appearing at a Town Hall meeting complaining about model airplanes flying over their houses with their kids playing outside. Try explaining that this is a "safe" practice because my plane has a camera and I can see without being able to see the plane.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:48 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Hmmmm, let me think......... Absolutely no

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.