Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Oldest RC Company

Old 10-24-2012, 05:45 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oldest RC Company

Getting back into RC a few years ago it was heartening to see some of the old names still in business. I remember buying my first RC magazine as a teenager and lusting over the ads by Fox, Sig, Goldberg, Sullivan, and Dubro. It makes me wonder which RC company is the one in business the longest. Anyone venture a guess?
Old 10-25-2012, 02:01 AM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Oldest RC Company

I would guess Goldberg, Comet, and Guillows

Don
Old 10-25-2012, 02:28 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, Goldberg is now just a product line of Hobbico.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:13 AM
thailazer

I guess I meant companies that are still around. I don't think Comet and Guillows are still around.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:19 AM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

[link=http://www.guillow.com/]Guillows, since 1926[/link]

You are probably right about Comet, can't find them online

Plus, you asked about RC Companies. Goldberg and Guillows started out as free flight/control line companies, obviously.

For an RC Company I would hazard a guess at TopFlite or SIG but they probably had their origins in control line as well.

Don
Old 10-25-2012, 03:52 AM
thailazer

ORIGINAL: hattend

[link=http://www.guillow.com/]Guillows, since 1926[/link]

You are probably right about Comet, can't find them online

Plus, you asked about RC Companies. Goldberg and Guillows started out as free flight/control line companies, obviously.

For an RC Company I would hazard a guess at TopFlite or SIG but they probably had their origins in control line as well.

Don
Good point about companies starting out in control line and free flight as well. I think I was about 13 when I built my first Sig CL Chipmunk with a Fox 35 Stunt in it. Loved that airplane until the bell crank came loose during a wing-over and it put a divit in the concrete of the local airport.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:07 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Guillows made RC kits a long time ago. Lou Andrews was one of their designers. Remeber the Trixter Beam? Guillows kits are still available:

http://www.acsupplyco.com/home.htm

Paul
Old 10-25-2012, 06:01 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Guillow's as a company is still in business producing model kits:

http://www.guillow.com
Old 10-25-2012, 06:17 AM
Sport_Pilot

Well of the companies listed Fox is the oldest. Goldberg is no more, just a name brand of Hobbico. Guillow's is not RC so that does not count.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:29 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Well of the companies listed Fox is the oldest. Goldberg is no more, just a name brand of Hobbico. Guillow's is not RC so that does not count.

[8D] I promise I'm not lookin for an arguement with this , but I clearly remember building several Guillows's kits that had plans for "tailwagger" rc using an .020 Cox glow engine . I only know this cause I did build a couple of em in just that way , and demolished each one with it's first even slightly rough landing . One good bump and ya had a nice bog O' sticks
Old 10-25-2012, 06:39 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oldest RC company and oldest model company can be quite a bit different. Most of the above mentioned are not RC but they were very prevelent in models that could be used with RC. Cleveland Models is also a very old company still in the modeling business.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:41 AM
thailazer

I was thinking that as well but haven't checked the histories yet. Their current gas and glow engine line up is very impressive so might have to give them another shot for nostalgia's sake. The most powerful 40 I ever had was the Fox BB S-ported beast, but I never got the carb to work reliably back some 3 decades ago. I am sure they have it sorted out by now.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Sport_Pilot

The most powerful 40 I ever had was the Fox BB S-ported beast, but I never got the carb to work reliably back some 3 decades ago.
I think that was the old Fox Quickie racer that was actually the fastest for a short time. It and other Quickie racers were timed in such a way you could not get a reliable idle below 4,000 or so. Some just set them up to run full then shut the engine down just before landing. The Fox MK-X carbs looked crude but worked well.

There newest carb is even more refined than anyone elses. No clicks, just a teflon seal that has enough friction it does not need a clicker.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:58 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

What about K&B. Started out in 1946, I believe.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:46 PM
BelAirBob

My November 1949 Model Airplane News has ads from Sullivan, K&B, and X-acto. A October 1953 Air Trails has ads from Dumas, Fox, Guillow, , K&B, and Top-Flite.

bob
Old 10-25-2012, 05:03 PM
rcacro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about Debolt? They sold some U/C kits. First RC kit was Livewire trainer. 1954?

Old 10-25-2012, 06:50 PM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oldest RC is hard to say, since it didn't really start until the late 40's / early 50's. Many of the companies that produced RC goods started out as free flight or control line suppliers.

As far as oldest model airplane company, that would be either Cleveland or Guillows, both say they started in 1926.

Goldberg got bought by Lanier, which in turn was bought by Hobbico/Great Planes/Tower - I truly hope they treat that name with the respect it deserves.

Comet was started in 1929 and their designs were bought by Guillows in the late 90's.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:59 PM
topspin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The oldest plane I ever owned and also my first, was a Cox U/C trainer in 1959. It had an .049 on it, the one with the spring starter, and was very easy to fly. Back then the little .049's were a dime a dozen.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:32 PM
countilaw

First plane I owned (built) Sterling Ringmaster, 1958 . The oldest RC company, maybe Fox ? Fox engines were around in the 50s and there have been a lot of engine makers come and go since then.

Frank
Old 10-26-2012, 05:33 AM
Sport_Pilot

but I clearly remember building several Guillows's kits that had plans for "tailwagger" rc using an .020 Cox glow engine .
So if you take your free flight design and reprint your instructions on how to convert it for RC, then they become an RC company instead of free flight?

Not in my book, but it might in the OP's book so good to note. Not to disparage Guillows, their kits are very enjoyable to build, and if you don't get one of the heavy one's, (very likely), they fly well.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:34 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: TLH101

What about K&B. Started out in 1946, I believe.

No, the 60's. I think they started by buying out Veco.

Opps yes they were around before that. But I think it was a year or twoafter Fox.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:39 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: rcacro

How about Debolt? They sold some U/C kits. First RC kit was Livewire trainer. 1954?

But they are not still in business. Ithink he wanted to know the oldest still in business.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:30 AM
hsukaria

Not sure if it fits the OP's criteria, but Testors, McCoy, Cox, they have been around for a while. Testors still sells all the glues and paints, but back in the 70's, they had control line plastic planes with McCoy engines to compete with the Cox plastic c/l planes.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:40 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

Not sure if it fits the OP's criteria, but Testors, McCoy, Cox, they have been around for a while. Testors still sells all the glues and paints, but back in the 70's, they had control line plastic planes with McCoy engines to compete with the Cox plastic c/l planes.

Wasn't Wen Mac older than Cox? That is as a model company, not RC. No longer in business either, but neither is Cox. Yes there is sombody that bought the last of their inventory and selling it off, but that is not the same company.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:15 PM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

Wasn't Wen Mac older than Cox? That is as a model company, not RC. No longer in business either, but neither is Cox. Yes there is sombody that bought the last of their inventory and selling it off, but that is not the same company.
I heard that they are making Cox engines again, somebody in Canada. But that is just what I was told.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.