Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Ideas for vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 10:43 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas for vehicle

I have been thinking a lot about a 'new' vehicle, or trailer. Not sure what to do, would love to hear your ideas! My current truck is feeling too small, and I just bought a plane that will barely fit in the back.

I am a single guy and remodeling my whole (first) house. I drive a Ford Ranger with a 6' bed. I have used my truck to haul motorcycles (none right now though), larger tools, for moving, projects, etc. It doesn't have the rear fold out door, which would probably make a BIG difference to me. The plane that *should fit in the bed if I get a cap, and I am careful and mount it at an angle.

A 'full-size' pickup seems like a waste of gas/space, but maybe I should just get over it? I drive a lot (6-12hr road trips are not uncommon) - would it kill me on gas and maintenance costs?

I like the idea of a wagon-type vehicle - Subaru or Volvo both fit 2M planes in the back. Better gas mileage, more room, but lose the pickup truck capabilities.

Minivans are mostly just not my style right now, but I'm open to something if it is at least somewhat 'cool'.

A trailer could be really great. I go to model airplane contests. I could probably set it up really nice for camping and flying. Seems a little excessive as I have one 2M airplane, and I am nervous about the trailer bouncing.

Well thanks for reading!
Old 03-10-2013, 11:23 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ideas for vehicle

I built this trailer about 7 years ago cause I couldnt afford the fuel in my truck any more. I still get about 27mpg in my honda civic while towing it. It holds a giant scale or up to four .60 size warbirds. Less than 500lbs fully loaded to go flying. Trailer bounce isnt that much more than my truck. You could always do a torsion suspension.
Edwin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90562.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	1860357  
Old 03-10-2013, 12:13 PM
Jetdesign

Nice job, that looks pretty good!
Old 03-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Fly RC II
My Feedback: (5)

I like it!
Old 03-11-2013, 03:26 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a Ford Ranger and, because of the size of my models, traded it in a a full sized F-150.

While there is nothing wrong with the F-150, I miss that Ranger.

Even with the 8' bed in my F-150, I decided to buy a trailer. The trailer is light enough, that I could've pulled it with the Ranger. It's a single axle, 12 foot, V-nose, and handle everything that I want to take to the field.

I miss that Ranger.

Name:	Wt59086.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1860671  
Old 03-11-2013, 05:33 AM
Edwin

I figure in my retirement years, I'll be using a trailer like that for event traveling. I like the idea of an awning.
Edwin
Old 03-11-2013, 05:38 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I loved my Ranger too, but as time goes by you grow out of it,, My v6 Ranger didn't get much better gas mileage than my first 5.7 powered 3/4 ton Chevy especially when I was towing my boat.. A newer 1/2 ton will get close to the same mileage so I don't see that as much of a factor.

You can pick up a 6x10 trailer and tow it with the Ranger,, but the wing resistance will kill the millage, something low profile like Edwin posted is a good call if you're towing with a small truck or car.

Capability is the determining factor in my mind. Sure now you just tow planes around,, what if 2-3 years down the road you buy a camper or a larger trailer? You need to look into the future when you making a big purchase like a new truck.

Good luck
Old 03-11-2013, 06:00 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

Minivans are mostly just not my style right now, but I'm open to something if it is at least somewhat 'cool'.
[8D] Hi gaRCfield ,

I felt the same way about minivans , and always dismissed them . My eyes were opened when I saw the ease with which a flying buddy transported his planes in one and thought I'd give one a try . I got a great deal on an old Chevy Venture that had lived it's whole life as an airport mini shuttle bus , and it thankfully had been owned by a company that kept up on it's maintenance . It was cheap to buy , it's cheap to run , and I can fit 8 feet worth of fuselage and wings if needed without even needing to turn them angle wise to fit in . There are all kinds of places in the floor to hook the bungee cords that hold the wings and fuselage from sliding around now that the rows of seats have been ditched . As a cheap second car to slop glow fuel around and haul stuff home from the hardware stores it really can't be beat . This thing swallowed a 90 gallon hot water heater and STILL had room for a plane or two if I had wanted to go flying in between home repair chores . And as for cool factor , well , nothing says a utility vehicle has to be cool , as long as it ain't downright dorky . 'sides , if ya really need a cool ride there's always stuff like the other car that's partially seen in one of the pics . Can't fit much of a model plane in it though
Old 03-11-2013, 06:30 AM
Jetdesign

What kind of mileage are people actually getting on 1/2 ton trucks these days? Is maintenance a considerable difference from a Ranger (brakes, etc)?

I do feel like I am growing out of that truck, it's small. Maybe a trailer will hold me over until I figure out what's right.

Init, I have thought about second vehicle too. But I think about 2 vehicles to maintain, insure, register, etc.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:44 AM
scale only 4 me

What kind of mileage are people actually getting on 1/2 ton trucks these days? Is maintenance a considerable difference from a Ranger (brakes, etc)?

I do feel like I am growing out of that truck, it's small. Maybe a trailer will hold me over until I figure out what's right.

Init, I have thought about second vehicle too. But I think about 2 vehicles to maintain, insure, register, etc.
Well, my Ranger (my only brand new truck) was a 4x4 Stick, in 120k I put in 3 clutches, and the tranny was rebuilt under warranty twice. Just out of warranty I had to put a new rear end in it,, that Ranger cost me way more than my 5.7/auto 3/4 ton ever did. That's what I got for working that little pony so hard. Once I got into the right truck for the job the problems stopped.

Not much of difference in maintenance cost,, a few dollar more for parts probably,, labor cost is the same, My current truck has a 8.1L so it takes 1 qt. extra oil, I do everything myself except fluid changes,, labor costs are very low that way. I don't want to talk about the mileage,, but it can tow anything.

Big decision,, good luck
Old 03-11-2013, 07:13 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Current 1/2 ton trucks get up into the mid 20 mpg range, depending upon brand and powertrain choices. A buddy has an '01 Chevy 1500 2WD w/4.8L V-8 and 5 speed, he's gotten up to 24mpg on longer highway trips. Around town, he's about 16 on a very bad week. Mileage does vary by brand and option load out, so do your research on.http://fueleconomy.gov/

Nissan and Toyota full size trucks are horrendous on fuel and the Chevy/GMC tend to be the best. Don't make a mistake and think a 2500 is a good idea, my '07 Chevy w/6.0L returns about 12mpg...

As far as maintenance, In my experience, a GM truck will be the most reliable and have the lowest maintenance cost. I've replaced wipers, headlight bulbs, shocks and tires on my '07, that's it. Still have the original brakes too....

As a homeowner, I'm going to say you'll need a pickup, no matter what. A good second car would be a Subaru Outback. My wife drives a 2011 w/2.5L and she averages 30mpg. It'll fit a sizeable one piece wing, took my 88" Pica Spitfire no problem w/the front passenger seat folded.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:29 AM
hookedonrc

My plane hauler is a 2004 Chevy Colorado with a cap over the bed. It is just an extended cab, so I get a full 72" for carrying. I also built a PVC wing shelf that fits in the area on top of the bed an around the bottom of the cap. Using Foam water pipe insulation, on the cross pieces, it works perfect. i put the fuses on the truck bed, and the wings on the upper shelf. I have 86,000 on the truck and am doing it's first brake job this week. As far as gas mileage I am getting right 21-22 and maintenance has been only oil changes every 7,000 miles as I am running synthetic. I love the truck, but will admit I have been surprised at how few problems I have had. I did have rhino liner installed right up to and over the rails so the bed is still almost new.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:34 AM
Edwin

This is what I did before I built the small trailer. I've also used the pvc pipe with foam to hold the wings. Works great. Easy in, easy out.
Edwin

Name:	Xv64929.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	1860718   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34953.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	1860719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78244.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	1860720  
Old 03-11-2013, 08:29 AM
Jetdesign

You guys are making a new truck sound great! My ranger (99) gets 21mpg when it's at its best. A few sand bags in the back and its down to 18. I would need 6 1/2 ft bed minimum, 2M planes are technically even longer but you can put them at an angle.

I was thinking a 150/1500 size, extended cab with the folding door split in the middle. Don't think a 4-dr would give me the 6 1/2 bed.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:15 AM
scale only 4 me

I'm currently on the hunt for a 1500 4x4 extra cab long bed, to use as a daily driver, not easy to find in decent shape on the north coast, and then just use the 2500hd for camping, boating etc. I don't think I could live without an 8' bed again.

Edwin,, Do you have a truck camper too?
Old 03-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Minnreefer

I currently have an 02 chevy 1500 with an extended cab, I also have a smaller trailer that I tow and hold planes in. I get between 14-19 depending on where I drive, when I tow my big camping trailer, it drops down to 6-8mph, I think I am pushing the truck too much. I do think I have pushed my truck too much, because, with about 100k miles, I have replaced the tranny, and a decent amount of work to it. If you do get a truck, or any vehicle, get a trailer towing package on it, with a 7 pin light hook-up, that way, you can get easy and good 12v power into a trailer.

I am going to sell my truck pretty soon and get something smaller that gets better gas millage, like a Subaru, or a minivan. Just as long as it can tow my trailer. ))

Jon

1 final thought, if you have a lot more house work to do, get a truck, it will be used a lot.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:09 AM
Edwin

scale, Yes, I have a camper shell. Post 2 shows a rear view of the back of my truck and post 13 the far right pic shows the clamps. Its a 99' F350, diesel, 4x4, 6 sp mnl, with 410 rear end. Has 210k miles on it. On my second clutch, mostly wear and tear, couple of water pumps and a solenoid. I bought it new then drove it to Alaska for a 6 week vacation in a 10' slide in camper. Drove the haul road to pump station #1 in Prudo Bay. Gets about 16mpg. Not a soft ride, but rugged as they come. The ride greatly improves when you load it down with 2 or 3000 lbs. It was mostly used to haul round bales on our flatbed out of the field. Dads 1500 had a hard time with that, wasnt really ment for that kind of work. We also haul a small tractor for field cutting and a 24' travel trailer. Its like towing a bill board behind you.
Edwin

Forgot to mention, we use it in the club to fill the water tank at the field, we have no public water. I have a 425 gallon water tank that fits in the bed over the axle. We use a little submersible pump to transfer water. Works like a champ.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:13 PM
Jetdesign

I have an entire house to remodel! It is my first house, so the dreams are quite big. I am sure I will learn that it takes too much money and energy to do everything I want to do, and it is already getting in the way of building my new composite plane. But I agree, I need some kind of truck - my Ranger at the very least.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:08 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

My plane hauler is the same as my daily driver is the same as my going camping and hauling a load of stuff vehicle. You mentioned it yourself in the very first post, I drive a 2007 Volvo V70 station wagon.

I've never been happier with a car in my entire life and that's saying something if I was to cite my age! I've got no use for SUVs. I don't need a truck. Don't want a van. I love a good car with a low CG that will grip the road. Being able to handle the rest of my life and hobbies is a bonus. So about 4 1/2 years ago when I was vehicle shopping, I found a V70 that was a dealer's loaner car. As it had 6,500 miles on it and was the previous year model, they knocked $15,000 off the sticker. I went there with my measuring tape to be sure that my planes (mostly .90 - 1.20 size would fit but it can handle a 2 meter pattern plane).

I can load a couple of large airplanes in this baby. More if I really cared to stack them but two is enough for me on any given day. I can load enough camping gear to support me for a week or more in the desert. And it looks great when I pick up a date for an evening on the town. Mileage? I get 32 mpg on the highway.

The only problem is that thanks to American consumerism, Volvo has quit importing this vehicle to the United States. It seems that the only thing Americans want is SUVs. Ugh!

I love this car so much that I plan to drive it until it dies. My last friend to drive a Volvo wagon got 380,000 miles out of his! I haven't even hit 6 figures yet.

If you come across a deal on a late model V70, all I can say is you won't be sorry.

Dave
Old 03-12-2013, 11:11 AM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

+1 on the Volvo. I have a 2005 XC70 (AWD) that makes a great plane and people hauler. At 108k so far and hope to take it to 300k.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Jetdesign

There are some good ideas and great information here. It seems like something I need to spend some time thinking about, and see what my needs are as a new homeowner (it's only been 2mos, and is in complete renovation at the moment).

I think the short-term answer is a trailer. I am looking at 5x8 V-nose and 5x10 trailers. I don't know much about these things, but I have learned that I should get radial tires, probably some type of ventilation, and a side door is a big convenience. Aluminum is light, and torsion bar suspension is preferred.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:15 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you decide on a trailer, buy the largest one that you can. 8' is nice. 10' is better. You won't have any trouble using up the extra space.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:42 AM
corch
My Feedback: (1)

Trailers, trucks are so pedestrian and boring....
You want a "wagon" type?
You want something cool?
You want something cheap?
Something local (I think)?
You want something with style?

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/3639185543.html

Old 03-14-2013, 09:33 AM
scale only 4 me

Too Harold and Maude-ish for me.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:13 PM
Jetdesign

I missed it! Post has been removed. What was it?

One of the guys in my last club bought something wacky that resembled a stretch of the ghost busters mobile in a cyan color. And it was his daily driver! Dedication. I'm not there, yet.

EDIT: It is amazing how memories can turn into dreams. "Buttercup" - not quite cyan:

Name:	Wu61587.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1862067  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.