Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Odd Question About RC Motors

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Odd Question About RC Motors

Old 09-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Richard_in_VA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd Question About RC Motors

I just joined this forum to ask for assistance and recommendations from all the enthusiasts here. I am working on a school challenge project to build an electric car. Creativity is counted. So, I am going to use a clarinet for my chassis by drilling two holes and inserting a sleeve through the holes and placing pushrods through the sleeves and then attaching wheels to the pushrods. The wheel base will be about 17" and the track about 9". I need a motor to strap onto the bottom of the clarinet chassis but I am not certain how powerful a motor I should use. It only has to travel slow, but straight, about 15 - 30 feet. Could anyone recommend how powerful a DC motor I need to move about a 4 or 5 lb. clarinet. Then, how can I attach the motor to the wheels...pulleys? Thanks.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:25 AM
karlik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'd consider buying a large toy grade rc car/truck at walmart, target, harborfreight, etc and seeing how much I could salvage. You'd get a motor mount, some gears, battery connectors, etc, maybe the wheels.