Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

reciever battery packs

Old 09-11-2013, 04:29 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reciever battery packs

Where is everyone purchasing receiver batteries -I fly larger glow and gas planes and have used nimh 6.0 volt packs in a lot of my smaller stuff. I have six packs approaching three years and I am going to replace-who has good deals on 6.0v nimh-thanks
Old 09-11-2013, 05:30 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out http://www.fromeco.org/ . I have been converting all mine to the LiFe 2 cell batteries. And on most of my models I only run one battery now. One 2300mah 2cell keeps me going all day with reserve. And they will make the plugs how ever you want them. I usually get two standard FUT/JR type plugs, one for ign and one for Rx. Both run through a separate switch.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:45 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

I appreciate the link but really wanted to stay with 6.0 volt and NIMH-thanks
Old 09-11-2013, 07:22 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

www.radicalrc.com or www.hangtimes.com
Old 09-12-2013, 07:29 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I use the Hydrimax from Tower. $25 for a 2000ma 6.0V. There are people having trouble with these packs and wont use them. I have not had any issues in 5 years of using them.

David
Old 09-12-2013, 07:40 AM
raptureboy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had one of the hydrimax batteries tab seperate from the other cells. They are very poorly made. If your plane means anything to you then cheap batteries is not an option. Hangtimes.com makes some of the best batteries out there, he makes them for the military UAV market.
Originally Posted by daveopam View Post
I use the Hydrimax from Tower. $25 for a 2000ma 6.0V. There are people having trouble with these packs and wont use them. I have not had any issues in 5 years of using them.

David
Old 09-12-2013, 04:27 PM
STUKA BARRY

I've been purchasing my batteries from BatteriesAmerica formally Mr. NiCad for 25 years. I've never been disappointed. They have NiCad, Nickel, Li-po etc. They use Sanyo cells which works for me. They now advertise in Model Aviation. I've recommend them to quite a few modelers and I never hear a complaint.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:30 PM
maukaonyx

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I get all my NiMh packs from all-battery.com. Good prices. I have been buying from them for 5 years with no problems. Jon
Old 09-16-2013, 05:09 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

A123's are a much better chemistry, especially in the larger stuff.

Fast charging, high discharge rates, hold a full storage charge forever w/o self discharging.

They do require a charger that's capable and a little different philosophy as far as monitoring but the benefits far outweigh any drawbacks
Old 09-16-2013, 06:31 AM
init4fun

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Andy is 100% correct on all counts , for airborne RC power the LIFE are the packs to use . The only place I use NIMH is the TX , and those are genuine Sanyo Eneloops .

But , If Plane Jim is determined to stay with NIMH , and "AA" sized cells have enough capacity for him , he will do no better than the Eneloops for his RX packs ....
Old 09-16-2013, 04:37 PM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

Nicad and Nimh are going by way of the wired telephone and the dinosaurs. Soon you will not be able to buy one.

I know, I know, Someones going to say they will never be extinct, but thats what we said of free TV!
Old 09-16-2013, 06:47 PM
warningshot

Originally Posted by tacx View Post
Nicad and Nimh are going by way of the wired telephone and the dinosaurs. Soon you will not be able to buy one.

I know, I know, Someones going to say they will never be extinct, but thats what we said of free TV!
And free TV is not extinct.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:11 AM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by warningshot View Post
And free TV is not extinct.

Not true. Those who want to get the one or two channels still available have to go out and buy $65.00 converter box and an antenna.

True, we always needed an antenna, but not the extra receiver box. So, TV is not free in terms of the way we use to know it.

None the less, Nicads and Nimhs have served us well for many years, but their days are numbered.

With the numerous new battery technologies and cemistries Nicads and Nimhs don't stand a chance.

Tom
Old 09-17-2013, 04:23 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by tacx View Post
Not true. Those who want to get the one or two channels still available have to go out and buy $65.00 converter box and an antenna.

True, we always needed an antenna, but not the extra receiver box. So, TV is not free in terms of the way we use to know it.

None the less, Nicads and Nimhs have served us well for many years, but their days are numbered.

With the numerous new battery technologies and cemistries Nicads and Nimhs don't stand a chance.

Tom
LOL,, then by your theory TV has never been free, (which is true), now it just more expensive,, someone is always paying for the electricity aren't they

Too many devices on the marked and in circulation that take AA batteries to think Nimh will go Bye Bye any time soon..

Will they cease to be marketed to RC?? that's another question
Old 09-17-2013, 07:23 AM
init4fun

I got the reference that tacx was making and wasn't gonna pick apart his analogy , to any folks with TVs built before the inclusion of DTV tuners , Broadcast TV is all but dead unless you buy the converter box .

Now , many may complain about how this most recent change in the standardization of how television is broadcast is an unprecedented slap to consumers by making their perfectly functional TV obsolete , but it HAS happened before . Most folks don't know that there was TV prior to WW2 and that it was broadcast on various different frequencies and methods of scanning , two or three different competing systems in fact . The FCC , seeking a countrywide system whereby a TV sold in California could be taken to Florida and still be functional (which wouldn't have been possible without some set of standards by which TV was to be broadcast) , created the NTSC in 1941 to set and establish a set of standards for use countrywide . In the process of setting the Horizontal scanning rate at 525 lines per second , as a nod to Philco who wanted 600 or more lines of resolution , they instantly made obsolete ALL of the RCA televisions that were sold and operating on a 440 line system ! All those folks faced the exact same situation of converter boxes or just buying an "NTSC compliant" TV . These growing pains of the early development of TV , coupled with the onset of WW2 , kept TV out of most homes in mainstream America till the late 1940s / early 1950s . As a cool aside here , Have ya ever wondered what happened to channel ONE ??? On all TVs that were pre electronic tuning , the VHF range ran from channels 2 through 13 . But what of channel one ? Yep , you guessed it , it was lost in some legal pissing match between different factions within the TV/radio manufacturing businesses . The history of both radio and TV is littered with lawsuits and cutthroat antics that would make any ruthless business men of today proud , so this latest bit of "screw the customer" is really nothing new to the industry . Sure , ya can call it progress , it IS progress for the folks who want large slices of TV's former analog band of frequencies and to the politicians who will make mad $$ from those lobbying for a slice , but to the average joe all it means is "go pay for a converter box if ya want your TV to work" . Been there , seen that , anyone got a 440 to 525 line converter i can borrow ???

Anyway , back to the NIMH batteries , I still like the Eneloops
Old 09-18-2013, 03:49 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

You won't go wrong with Hangtimes battery packs. I have been using them for several years, 20+ packs, never a problem. Btw, I have no connection with them other than being a satisfied user.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:35 AM
topspin

Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
I got the reference that tacx was making and wasn't gonna pick apart his analogy , to any folks with TVs built before the inclusion of DTV tuners , Broadcast TV is all but dead unless you buy the converter box .

Now , many may complain about how this most recent change in the standardization of how television is broadcast is an unprecedented slap to consumers by making their perfectly functional TV obsolete , but it HAS happened before . Most folks don't know that there was TV prior to WW2 and that it was broadcast on various different frequencies and methods of scanning , two or three different competing systems in fact . The FCC , seeking a countrywide system whereby a TV sold in California could be taken to Florida and still be functional (which wouldn't have been possible without some set of standards by which TV was to be broadcast) , created the NTSC in 1941 to set and establish a set of standards for use countrywide . In the process of setting the Horizontal scanning rate at 525 lines per second , as a nod to Philco who wanted 600 or more lines of resolution , they instantly made obsolete ALL of the RCA televisions that were sold and operating on a 440 line system ! All those folks faced the exact same situation of converter boxes or just buying an "NTSC compliant" TV . These growing pains of the early development of TV , coupled with the onset of WW2 , kept TV out of most homes in mainstream America till the late 1940s / early 1950s . As a cool aside here , Have ya ever wondered what happened to channel ONE ??? On all TVs that were pre electronic tuning , the VHF range ran from channels 2 through 13 . But what of channel one ? Yep , you guessed it , it was lost in some legal pissing match between different factions within the TV/radio manufacturing businesses . The history of both radio and TV is littered with lawsuits and cutthroat antics that would make any ruthless business men of today proud , so this latest bit of "screw the customer" is really nothing new to the industry . Sure , ya can call it progress , it IS progress for the folks who want large slices of TV's former analog band of frequencies and to the politicians who will make mad $$ from those lobbying for a slice , but to the average joe all it means is "go pay for a converter box if ya want your TV to work" . Been there , seen that , anyone got a 440 to 525 line converter i can borrow ???

Anyway , back to the NIMH batteries , I still like the Eneloops
I once had an Arvin mechanical scanning TV from the late 1930's and while it was cool to look at it was useless. You could build a transmitter using a scanning disc in front of a cadmium photoelectric tube. Not worth the trouble though and the picture was nothing but a moving shadow.

I also have LiFe batteries and they are excellent but they do take longer to charge than NiMh cells but they also last about three to four times longer with less weight and volume. I can't think of a single application where I would use NiMh's if I have a choice.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:18 PM
skeeter_ca

I get free TV. I get 132 free channels off my antenna. I know I could get more but I have a very old rusty broken antenna but it still works pretty good. It even includes some HD channels on the main channels. True a lot of the channels are Spanish or Asian but it is all free. People don't realize just how many channels are out there for free. Of course it is nothing as great as cable or satellite but don't say it isn't free. I don't even have to buy a converter box since I have a fairly new TV that accepts digital signals which all TV's do now and have for quite awhile. Get your facts straight.

Also I just bought two new Nimh packs for two new birds and I wish I had done a little research first because I think I would have chosen the Life's instead. I'll use the Nimh since I already have them but will try the Life's on my next one.

skeeter

Last edited by skeeter_ca; 09-18-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:15 AM
scale only 4 me

Get your facts straight.
LOL Skeeter, that's a good one, Some guys around here don't care about facts,,
Old 09-19-2013, 04:46 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me View Post
LOL Skeeter, that's a good one, Some guys around here don't care about facts,,
OK , Bigmouth ,exactly WHOSE facts are in error here ?

No matter how many channels someone gets with their DTV tuner equipped TV , there are still literally THOUSANDS of TVs still out there functioning without built in DTV tuners and using converter boxes . But Nooo , you just couldn't resist the urge to throw more of your trollbait around just trying to stir up some crap . Well Mr. scale , I've just about reached the end with responding to your ignorant little jabs since I've now come to firmly believe that you are no real RCer , and just some internet bully who gets off on riling folks with your smartmouth BS

Please do respond to this post to prove just how much of a bully you are , pick it apart real good so that everyone sees EXACTLY what your about , but don't expect even one more letter to leave my keyboard in response to you , as I now have your number , I know your act , seen it before , and am done playing . You ARE NOT here for the RC , that much is MORE than plainly obvious ........
Old 09-19-2013, 04:50 AM
init4fun

Oh yea , and BTW , "Skeeter" can stick his little "facts" jab where the sun don't shine as well , , , pretty much for the same reason of just whose "facts" are in error !
Old 09-19-2013, 05:13 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

Easy boys....moving back on topic....
Old 09-19-2013, 08:05 AM
topspin

I really think the days of NiMh and for sure Nicads are over except in some very special applications. For RC modeling Lithium chemistry batteries provide much more power and a flatter discharge curve with far less weight. Even the charging times are getting faster, I remember when I got my first Lipo packs in 1999 I had to charge them at less than one C. Now there are packs that can charge as fast as six to ten C which is actually faster than NiMh batteries could ever charge. I recenly upgraded all of my transmitter batteries to LiFe and Lipo packs. Now I can fly for a couple of days on a single charge and don't have to haul around extra transmitter packs.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:43 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

I have never flown out a 700 mAh NiCd transmitter pack in 10 years in the hobby. How do you guys find time to fly the 2-3 hours of transmitter on-time it takes to deplete an old-fashioned NiCd pack? That would mean you are at the field at least 5 hours, maybe 6 or 8. That is a problem I wish I had. Typical flying day for me is 3 or 4 10 minute flights and I go home with 75% of my transmitter battery capacity still in the pack.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:04 PM
scale only 4 me

nicd was fine.... lipo in your tx means you dont need to chaarge the night before.... same with the life or a123 rx packs.. gives you the luxury of just hitting the field when ever you want without worrying if you had things charged the night before... a123 packs only take a few minutes each. the versatility is worth the expence
u

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.