Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Big Event for all RC and CL just East of San Antonio, Tx Oct. 4,5,&6

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Big Event for all RC and CL just East of San Antonio, Tx Oct. 4,5,&6

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 09:24 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Big Event for all RC and CL just East of San Antonio, Tx Oct. 4,5,&6

Guys....
Just a reminder in case it slipped your mind, the Old Kingsbury Celebration of Flight Get-Together is coming up next weekend (October 4-5-6) in Seguin at the Old Kingsbury Aviation Museum, located 9 miles east of town, off Interstate-10 to the north,about 1-1/2 miles, it's going to be a super modeling 'doozey'. If you have been there before or have never been there, you know and will discover how much fun & beautiful the Old Kingsbury Aerodrome really is. Old Kingsbury graciously shares their facilities with the Tri City Flyers model club of San Antonio. There are giant size oak trees offering shade from the sun and the club has a nice size pavillion on site, good food and cold drinks are available.

There will be lots of RC flying along with one of the largest gatherings of Control Line modelers in Texas, doing what they do best. There will be a large number of sport, stunt, and combat CL flyers present, some you may have read about several of them in the magazines, a couple will be ex World Champion modelers, although they are former World Champion, they are all just a bunch of good ol' boys, you really don't want to miss a wonderful opportunity like that. Also to mention, The World Wide Brotherhood of the Ring fraternity will be hosting their annual Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon that same weekend, they want to see how many Ringmaster flights can be flown or tabulated, the event is spread out all over the globe. You will need to dust off that old dusty, but trusty Ringmaster languishing in the corner of the shop and bring it and don't forget your other CL planes....I want to remind all not to worry about trying to fly or register the goal of 2,000 Ringmaster flights set by the Brotherhood of The Ring, the actual number of flights will be sent in with others from around the world and tabulated and published on the Brotherhood's website... Any size Ringmaster is eligible !! I will be bringing my 35 size Ringmaster S-1a, along with my sturdy, old n' trusty, but venerable.. 40 size RM 576 and a King Size, Sooper Dooper Pooper Scooper, (60 size) RM-XXL .."NO !!", I don't fly it with chains used for flying lines...lol ..If you show up without a Ringmaster..don't worry there should be several located around the circle that you will be allowed to fly and do a lot of nostalgic grinning.

The Icing on The Cake--
There is a big bonus awaiting all AMA members at the Old Kingsbury model gathering..The AMA president Bob Brown and some of his HQ staff will be present to greet and talk to you. AMA Vice President Mark Johnston, and his "platoon" of AMA associate vice presidents will be there of course of which I am honored to be included amongst. There will be a free & fabulous BBQ on Saturday evening for all AMA members at the field, courtesy of AMA HQ. There is a general meeting of the AMA membership scheduled, don't miss that one. There will be a Memorial Service for those AMA'rs that have passed on in 2013..some of you may know of BB Weber of Bomber Field and several other notable AMA'rs in D-VIII that have passed recently. We recently lost another AMA'r and full size aviator of historical note, Frank Hines in the McAllen area and will be losing another old time AMA'r and former member of the 1960-64 US ARMY Model Competition Team in Europe, soon- living in the Mission area.

Bring the family and an RV or a tent, there is plentiful and spacious parking available under the beautiful spreading oaks at Old Kingsbury, RV & camping facilities however are primitive. The Old Kingsbury Museum will be open every day for those wishing to see, touch, and smell actual working and in flying condition, aerial relics from the Great War (WW-1) Roger Freeman, owner/operator of Old Kingsbury airport graciously invites all modelers to tour his facilities..hopefully he will have his two Thomas Morse S-1 Scouts out and possibly doing a flight demo for us...Roger also has several examples of Fokker D-7's, DR-1 triplane, JN-1 Standard Jenny, French SPAD, plus many other old & historic aircraft outside the hangars taking in the sunshine. The weekend will one you will long remember...Bring the family and don't forget to bring your Ringmaster(s) and/or other CL planes..if you have a few RC planes you want to bring, pack those too and let's fly, the CL guys won't hold it against you...lol

I will be leaving early Friday morning with my wife and a model trailer full of CL ships and maybe an RC or two sprinkled in amongst my horde of circle burners...The Comfort Inn in Seguin, located at the corner of Texas 123 & I-10 will be the AMA's & my HQ for the weekend.

Hopefully I will see many of you this next weekend in Seguin...My cell number is (956) 984-9474...gimme a call, let's fly !!

Jim Marshall
AMA Assoc. VP
AMA District VIII
Deep So. Texas
Member of:
South Texas Controlline Flyers
Magic Valley Model Association
Rio Grande RC Flyers
and
Brotherhood of The Ring
Jymbeaux
Old 09-28-2013, 03:55 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just pasted on my clubs F/B page. Hope to be there. Been a lot years since I have seen, or done any controline.