Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

RCU, truly sad.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 09:08 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RCU, truly sad.....

Before the switch over to this so called new system the average daily use was between 15-20 thousand. Now with the new and improved (I use those terms loosely) most is around 6 thousand. So it would appear for the most part many, many, users have left. And here after a few months it still is nothing like the old RCU, and it is not improved, just more buttons to push to get to where one wants.
And in my opinion this loss of viewers is a truly sad thing.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:12 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH, shame on you. Chances are you will be severely chastised by a certain segment of the dedicated few here who con't seem to be able to take any criticism concerning this site at all. A couple months ago I made the simple statement that I thought RCG was superior in a few areas to RCU and you would have thought I was murdering babies from the response. Even though I have been on this site about 10 years longer than that other one and have about 1,000 more posts here than there, none of that was taken into consideration. Don't confuse some of these guys with facts, their minds are made up.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:36 AM
topspin

Originally Posted by JollyPopper
OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH, shame on you. Chances are you will be severely chastised by a certain segment of the dedicated few here who con't seem to be able to take any criticism concerning this site at all. A couple months ago I made the simple statement that I thought RCG was superior in a few areas to RCU and you would have thought I was murdering babies from the response. Even though I have been on this site about 10 years longer than that other one and have about 1,000 more posts here than there, none of that was taken into consideration. Don't confuse some of these guys with facts, their minds are made up.
I can certainly understand why none of that was taken into consideration. Some people are purposely obtuse.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:45 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I will freely admit to liking the old RCU better also , and this has NOTHING to do with being an old fart who won't embrace change . To me , valid complaints pertaining to the functionality (or lack thereof) of site modifications are fair game , and boy do I have a complaint ! The old attachment process for putting a photo into a post always worked very well for me , and I have yet to get the "new" RCU's attachment function to actually attach a damn photograph ! Sure , the old RCU had some connectivity issues and I believe most would have been happy to have seen those fixed without all the other changes made . In this case it would seem that the baby , the bathwater , and the bathtub itself went out the window ! .......
Old 10-12-2013, 02:54 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

I spend MUCH less time here than I did before the switch over. I don't like it at all. Like OP stated, to complicated now. At least they didn't screw up the marketplace.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:53 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My only complaint is that the 'links' I get from the emails do NOT send me to the page/post that is mentioned......every once in a while I get 'linked' to the first post, first page of a 100+ page thread!

I also noticed the ARF forum is WAY DOWN....and I think that is where the hobby is currently doing its best. Then there is the Warbird section - LOVE IT - tons of posts and some great ideas flying around (pun intended)
Old 10-12-2013, 04:08 PM
Live Wire

I come back to just see if it is still here! IB should have just put it on FB.
Larry K
Old 10-12-2013, 06:55 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

I didn't know viewers were down 2/3rds, that's terrible!! I know a lot of my club buddies don't come around any more. It's definitely a change for the worse.

The good:
1. Auto-save when writing posts. I haven't lost one yet.

The Bad:
1. Too many banner ads.

2. Making attachments are worse.

3. Lost my avatar!

4. Lost my 'rating' . I thought they said it was coming back?

5. No email notices of updated subscribed threads. And yes, I've tried the fixes.

IMO, IB needs to abandon this front end and get something like vBulletin, much more user-friendly.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:19 PM
Microz

Ehhh I just learn to get used to change. I don't mind it.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:46 PM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also would have to agree with the OP. I am now spending much more time at the other sites. All the ads and the glitches on RCU suck. None of my club buddies are using RCU anymore. I hope IB get RCU back on track, I really liked RCU.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:36 AM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't mind the change for what I do, but I did prefer the more "plain text" looking nature of the site.

It just seemed to load faster and run faster without all the flashing things that need to load up first. But, it's free for me and the owners need to make money from it so they'll figure out if the changes were "worth it" and either stick with it or change again to something else...
Old 10-13-2013, 04:03 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tailskid
My only complaint is that the 'links' I get from the emails do NOT send me to the page/post that is mentioned......every once in a while I get 'linked' to the first post, first page of a 100+ page thread!

)
This happens to me every time I get an email link. It's reall the only major complaint that I have with the new RCU.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:17 AM
kork
My Feedback: (65)

Every time I come back to RCU it seems the lights are getting dimmer. I have spent all my time at Flying Giants now and keep looking at the warbird section wondering if they are coming over also. They (warbird section) are the only reason this thing is still going. Kit building forum is wayyyyyy down along with the arf's
I guess it is what it is. RCU got me into this addiction and I thank all of you for the help. Hope it turns around
Jason
Old 10-13-2013, 04:31 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

What would really bring our user count up, is the Huddler system. I'm on a PC fourm with Huddler, and its just plain amazing. We have these little spaces in our sigs where we show off our PCs there. Why not adapt it to RC cars and planes? Heres the link; http://www.huddler.com/
Old 10-13-2013, 04:56 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Looks like a clean platform,,, don't hold your breath

I think the drop in usership is due to the growing confrontational tones more and ridicules arguments more threads devolve into constantly.

A recent example,, a guy comes and asks how to solder a connector on a push rod, simple answer, make sure everything is clean, use flux, don't get it too hot,,etc. etc., But no,, can't be that simple guys go on and on arguing about metal urgy, what flux will melt the guys plane away, and what solder is really silver solder or not. Two pages of a googlefest copy and paste battle. Who want to be involved it that mess,, just those two guys apparently,, because everyone else stayed away once that started.

This goes on time and time again
Old 10-13-2013, 06:49 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tailskid
My only complaint is that the 'links' I get from the emails do NOT send me to the page/post that is mentioned......
Agree...this glitch is really annoying
Old 10-13-2013, 07:03 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me

I think the drop in usership is due to the growing confrontational tones more and ridicules arguments more threads devolve into constantly.

A recent example,, a guy comes and asks how to solder a connector on a push rod, simple answer, make sure everything is clean, use flux, don't get it too hot,,etc. etc., But no,, can't be that simple guys go on and on arguing about metal urgy, what flux will melt the guys plane away, and what solder is really silver solder or not. Two pages of a googlefest copy and paste battle. Who want to be involved it that mess,, just those two guys apparently,, because everyone else stayed away once that started.

Seems like that has always been a part of RCU, even when the old forums were up. Seems worse here than any of other R/C and non-R/C forums I frequent. I have never been bullied any other forum, however, it happens here a lot. too many "keyboard commandos".
Old 10-13-2013, 07:46 AM
jtotten

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just an observation from a low activity poster - As I wrote this, 6 out of the top 15 forums were jet airplane related - As a "fumble-finger" low time flier, they are occasionally interesting, but seldom relevant to my interests in sport flying, kit building, and finishing at the utilitarian level. Activity here does seem to be migrating to RCG, but I still find the search functions on RCU a bit more comfortable for my personal tastes. I also find that when I have a "newbie" type question, the responses from high-activity posters on RCU seem to be a bit more on target than those I find on RCG.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:38 AM
757jonp
My Feedback: (48)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked the old format better, but what I really miss is the old search function.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:40 AM
topspin

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me

That scenario is not unique to this board, it happens on the other ones and more often it seems. I think the site is OK but there are a few nuisances like getting an email every time someone responds to a thread. The default for that should be no notification with a way to turn it on if you want to.

By the way, what is metal urgy? Sorry,,,,just couldn't help it on that one..
Old 10-13-2013, 10:50 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am not much of a poster. i only post what I know first hand. I am not a dogpile searcher, then post type of person. I have been stomped a little here for may answers to some questions, Yet I have not been pounded into the ground, run over, doused with gas and lite up like I was on another forum. What horrible thing could i have done? It was recommending the guy set up his UAV with two servo's for the V tail so he could have rudder and elevator control. Here, the guy who did it, would not have been able to post after that.

I do agree, some threads tend to go down a path of "I know more then you and I will prove it"

I can not complain to much, I pay nothing for the service here, so I figure I get more then I spend out of it

I have been through most of the RCU changes.

Buzz.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:09 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

On the rcg radio Taranis thread there has been over 1M views and more than 10,000 replies. The thread moves so fast its hard to keep up with. The Multiplex radio had four threads that were similar.
There is hardly a mention of those radios here.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:18 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where does someone go to see the daily traffic of this website?
Old 10-13-2013, 03:19 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The main plus for me is The site seems more stable And I do like the auto save.

I haven't lost anymore posts. But I had learned to save a copy to word before hitting the post button so it was not that big a deal.
Posting pics is far more cumbersome.
I have noticed the drop in activity, sad.

But what really annoys me is when I click on the new post link in email it takes me way back many pages. I have cleared my cache and history. Logged off and back on the website. And in the on the individual threads I have done the same thing. Still hosed up. The only thing that I have found to work is to click the new post link in email. Let the page load. Close it and then re hit the new post link in email. I am having to break the habit of sending the new email notice to trash immediately.

I am not to sure the upgrade was worth it. I am now spending more time on other sites, and really enjoying one of the control line sites (the Ringmaster site) far more. I still love the wealth of post knowledge here though. It's sheer volume is invaluable. The control line section on here is almost dead. Currently I am probably doing my last control line build thread on this site. I will stick the thread out till I finish the bird and test fly the plane.

Ken
Old 10-13-2013, 03:26 PM
acerc

Airplanes400, on the main Forums page the total count is at the bottom of the page. It gives a most ever (since the update) and list everyone logged on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.