Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

US Hobby shops

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 09:12 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Having grown up in Illinois, I can say that anyone who looks forward to driving long distances in snow and icy weather is absolutely BONKERS!

One memorable trip in the 70's from south Florida to Palatine Illinois involved trying to out run freezing rain starting in southern Indiana.
We made it after a straight through run. The next morning, I went out to the car, parked in the garage, and found three oil puddles under the rear axle.
The freezing rain had plugged the axle vents, and forced the oil out the seals.

The same year, an unseasonable early heavy snow started early on a weekday afternoon. Shortly after rush hour started, the Chicago area freeways and toll ways became impassable, and thousands of cars were stranded. It was impossible to plow, due to the number of stalled cars and other traffic. One of my fellow workers ended up spending the night in an unfinished motel.

Another evening some years earlier, I was working part time in a nearby small town for a business that rebuilt vehicles, tractors, farm equipment, and of all things, light aircraft.
A sideline was highway towing. We received a call from the state police, and my boss drove the "heavy" wrecker to the location on a icy, snow packed two lane highway. He picked up a disabled car, and started towing it back. The state patrol car was a bit behind, with the warning lights on. A drunk driver passed the patrol car, and promptly ran into the car under tow.

I moved when the opportunity presented, to the state of Georgia, a hundred miles south of Atlanta. The very infrequent snow etc. makes my wife happy, virtually shuts things down, and I'm glad that it will soon be gone.

There are several good hobby shops in the Atlanta area. Franklin Tenn. has a "home store" of the web based Hobby Lobby.
Champaign / Urbana Ill has several as well (Horizon Hobby, for example) If you want to take a detour.
Depending on the weather, a Midwestern route may be more pleasant and safer that the more direct eastern routes.

Last edited by chuckk2; 12-20-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:05 AM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckk2
Having grown up in Illinois, I can say that anyone who looks forward to driving long distances in snow and icy weather is absolutely BONKERS!

One memorable trip in the 70's from south Florida to Palatine Illinois involved trying to out run freezing rain starting in southern Indiana.
We made it after a straight through run. The next morning, I went out to the car, parked in the garage, and found three oil puddles under the rear axle.
The freezing rain had plugged the axle vents, and forced the oil out the seals.

The same year, an unseasonable early heavy snow started early on a weekday afternoon. Shortly after rush hour started, the Chicago area freeways and toll ways became impassable, and thousands of cars were stranded. It was impossible to plow, due to the number of stalled cars and other traffic. One of my fellow workers ended up spending the night in an unfinished motel.

Another evening some years earlier, I was working part time in a nearby small town for a business that rebuilt vehicles, tractors, farm equipment, and of all things, light aircraft.
A sideline was highway towing. We received a call from the state police, and my boss drove the "heavy" wrecker to the location on a icy, snow packed two lane highway. He picked up a disabled car, and started towing it back. The state patrol car was a bit behind, with the warning lights on. A drunk driver passed the patrol car, and promptly ran into the car under tow.

I moved when the opportunity presented, to the state of Georgia, a hundred miles south of Atlanta. The very infrequent snow etc. makes my wife happy, virtually shuts things down, and I'm glad that it will soon be gone.

There are several good hobby shops in the Atlanta area. Franklin Tenn. has a "home store" of the web based Hobby Lobby.
Champaign / Urbana Ill has several as well (Horizon Hobby, for example) If you want to take a detour.
Depending on the weather, a Midwestern route may be more pleasant and safer that the more direct eastern routes.
LOL, the 2nd part of the trip is sounding less appealing every day... But I do appreciate the advice on this also.

How far north I drive from Florida will definitely be weather dependant and a quick itinerary change to an airline ticket was always on the cards.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:13 AM
yojoelay

Rob2160

I was glad to read your last post. Picking a safe point to switch from road to air on your way north is a very smart move. With one stroke of bad weather you'd be facing black ice, a hire car that sounds like a bag of hammers on start up and won't run properly in the cold, and heavy vehicles flying past you on sleet covered highways. Not to mention Montreal drivers, who are the only people in the western world known to be more aggressive than Sydney drivers.

Enjoy the trip, from the descriptions above it sounds like there are lots of cool places along the way. Keep in mind there are some pretty substantial sales taxes in Quebec and the tax gets added at the till, unlike here where its already built into the price.

EDIT: if you have a spare moment in Montreal pick up a hockey game. It's the mainstream religion in Canada. Have a great trip. Joel

Last edited by yojoelay; 12-21-2013 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Ice hockey
Old 12-21-2013, 04:32 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you happen to stop in Connecticut on your way north, stop in at RC Hobbies and More in Winsted, CT. It's one of the largest hobby shops on New England.

FB
Old 12-21-2013, 02:32 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by yojoelay
Rob2160

I was glad to read your last post. Picking a safe point to switch from road to air on your way north is a very smart move. With one stroke of bad weather you'd be facing black ice, a hire car that sounds like a bag of hammers on start up and won't run properly in the cold, and heavy vehicles flying past you on sleet covered highways. Not to mention Montreal drivers, who are the only people in the western world known to be more aggressive than Sydney drivers.

Enjoy the trip, from the descriptions above it sounds like there are lots of cool places along the way. Keep in mind there are some pretty substantial sales taxes in Quebec and the tax gets added at the till, unlike here where its already built into the price.

EDIT: if you have a spare moment in Montreal pick up a hockey game. It's the mainstream religion in Canada. Have a great trip. Joel
Thanks Joel, I will try to pick up the Hockey game. I go to Montreal every year in Jan and/or Feb for courses. Usually on a tight schedule but this time I have a 3 week holiday before hand.

In Jan 2012 I was in Montreal for a 3 week course and the weather was perfect almost every day. I drove to Ontario and back to check out a Hobby Shop (Great Hobbies) , it was cold but clear blue sky the entire time. Luck of the draw I guess, so if I get to New York by road I'll be happy.

Last edited by Rob2160; 12-21-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:59 PM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Another vote for Graves, worth the stop just to see all the planes hanging from the ceiling...

If you go by car up the east coast, be sure to stop at the National Air and Space Museum Udvar-Hazy Center just outside of Washington DC.

http://airandspace.si.edu/visit/udvar-hazy-center/
Old 12-26-2013, 03:35 AM
yojoelay

I would like to go to a Great Hobbies shop. Last time I looked they still had a few Unionville Hobbies kits. The same owners used to have a shop here in Brisbane but it went bust a few years ago. They also stocked Sig balsa and I haven't found a replacement yet. I was in the Ottawa Valley region in July this year, if you ever have the chance to visit over the summer there are some really nice lakes in the area. Unfortunately I didn't have time to stop in to their shop, it was a quick trip.

Enjoy the trip, Joel.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:25 PM
RVator
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KC's Hobby shop in Archdale,NC and There is another in Chantilly,VA near the Dulles airport called Hobby Hangar.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:23 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by RVator
KC's Hobby shop in Archdale,NC and There is another in Chantilly,VA near the Dulles airport called Hobby Hangar.
Thanks, both of those are just a short drive from my planned route north. I'll be sure to check them out.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:05 AM
Rob2160

Well the current weather in Eastern USA put the freeze on part 2 of the road trip, so I spent the past weeks in Florida, (Orlando, Miami, Key West etc), and also a 3 day cruise to the Bahamas which was more fun than I expected.

I fly to Montreal this weekend.

I visited a few good stores in Florida. Thanks again to all who posted. I have saved the recommendations and will try the road trip north again in July.

Last edited by Rob2160; 02-04-2014 at 05:09 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:05 AM
topspin

Smart move Rob. Just don't drink the water in Montreal, only drink bottled water. I have heard there are chemicals in the local water supply in Toronto that cause some people to become crack addicts so you should not take that chance in Montreal. Have a safe trip and when you go oatside (they talk funny) just remember how hot is is back home.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:04 AM
yojoelay

I bet it will take less than a minute from your arrival time for a Canadian to apologise for the Mayor of Toronto.

j
Old 02-04-2014, 11:08 AM
swify

Nothing wrong with the Mayor of Toronto, he's just a bit more colourful than most others.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:15 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by topspin
Smart move Rob. Just don't drink the water in Montreal, only drink bottled water. I have heard there are chemicals in the local water supply in Toronto that cause some people to become crack addicts so you should not take that chance in Montreal. Have a safe trip and when you go oatside (they talk funny) just remember how hot is is back home.
Thanks for the tip on Toronto, it was originally on the itinerary but was deleted also.

I usually overdose on coffee when in Montreal, anything to stay awake in the classroom but always happy to be away from the Sydney summer.

Spent today at the Kennedy Space Centre, man that Saturn 5 is a monster. Gives a whole new perspective to the heroism of the Astronauts.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:09 PM
topspin

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Thanks for the tip on Toronto, it was originally on the itinerary but was deleted also.

I usually overdose on coffee when in Montreal, anything to stay awake in the classroom but always happy to be away from the Sydney summer.

Spent today at the Kennedy Space Centre, man that Saturn 5 is a monster. Gives a whole new perspective to the heroism of the Astronauts.
I used to live in Melborne which is just a few miles south of the cape. If you have the chance take the tour of the control center and look at the junk we used to send people to the moon. It was state of the art at the time but looks like something out of an old James bond movie set now days.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:33 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by topspin
I used to live in Melborne which is just a few miles south of the cape. If you have the chance take the tour of the control center and look at the junk we used to send people to the moon. It was state of the art at the time but looks like something out of an old James bond movie set now days.
LOL, ain't that the truth. We did that tour the last time 'round. I guess they weren't much worried given how close the control pillbox was to the launch pad for the Mercury Redstone.

Make sure you hit a Tim Horton's for coffee when your up in the Great White North, you might just have to bring some home.....