Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Turned off

Old 12-29-2013, 02:17 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Huh? I'm not against old men. I AM an old man!

This old argument has been around a long, long time. I have found myself sitting in nearly every seat that has been described over the decades. Might I suggest that we try to utilize all of the types of folks that are in our clubs. Believe me, you never know which seat you will be sitting in next yourself.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-29-2013, 05:16 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I think that this thread has a tendency to lean that the problems are "old timers", and its not its people , simply put the wrong people.
I read a thread on this site that someone started and the subject (I will change it to keep peace) was around how great the guys finish was that he did. So another guy in an innocent manner post his own plane in the thread as he was also proud. The OP says " well why don't you start your own thread or post in so and so .... Really ??? How many times have you seen a thread and someone post and says, hey this is my plane in finished state for motivation for you and the OP says "this is my thread " , really are we all women ??? Holy Cow , the drama lol . (sorry to the women in that last comment .
This is what i am saying , its not about age , location etc , its about the ability to simply be respectful of people in general.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:19 AM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you truly love this hobby and want to remain a member of your current club, I'd suggest you run for a position at the next election. Our club went thru a great upheaval in 2013, but has managed to survive and is starting to grow again. MildBill knows 1st hand what I'm talking about. Be the best example you can as club member, and hope that others will follow.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:24 AM
LDM

+1
Old 12-29-2013, 05:51 AM
sglmnd

Originally Posted by countilaw
I'm not saying that all RTF pilots are non contributors. Just most! Like the prior posted said, if it weren't for RTF he wouldn't be in the hobby. That reenforces what I said about the 70s and 80s. Those were hard core airplane hobbyist. They really were devoted to the hobby, club and members.

If a person claims that, " I don't have time to build" they are just making excuses. If they wanted to build they would find time for it.

Frank
I think you are being very unrealistic....what about trying to attract younger members? Like most clubs, our membership is getting a little long in the tooth, and we'd really like to have younger members join us. But, they are busy raising families, working a full time job and simply don't have the time to build a scratch built plane....an ARF lets them get involved now! Maybe when they are retired, or the kids go away to college, the time might be a bit more available for building! Don't be so hard on the ARF guys....some of them are the future of our hobby!
Old 12-29-2013, 06:44 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
Sometimes I fly home built ..........

Sometimes I fly ARFs ...............

Never , ever , do I gauge the fun I'm having by what the other guy is flying !
B U M P

Old 12-29-2013, 07:47 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

i fly at a field in the middle of no where 600 ft long black top we cant have a thing there people come there steal our chairs work tables shoot at the out house> we are down to around 20 flyers from around 150>> most of the time we have only 7 flyers at a time at the field>> >> it cost most of us 7.00 for gas round trip to fly 50.00 a year for dues> most of us are 70 plus> even the old men are getting into foam planes>> and they are a pain in the ass>ive been flying since 1945>> so i have been around>> ian 81 now will fly till i cant do it anymore>
Old 12-29-2013, 07:55 AM
Live Wire

Looks like people are trying to blame the problems on every thing but what the problem is. It is not ARFs foamies, old people or what ever it is the lust for power and recognition. Well some have made their goal and can fit every thing to life style and time schedule, yes they have the ball. Now run with it. If you can do better than the ones before you have at it, the field is yours. I hope most still have a team.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:30 AM
hookedonrc

Originally Posted by Live Wire
Very interesting responses, Now if we could get the people involve that need to read this to read it we would have a winner, Yes some think it is time for the old timer to leave, Well this is one that has . No more AMA no more mowing or maintenance of equipement, let the club pay for it.
What I get POed about is when you take on a job, make all tjhe plans and some one comes in an takes over. Is it that they think they are the only people that can handle the job. I have been in this hobby over 70years and have seen a lot of changes in models and the people involved. Just for what is going on in this hobby and living in the fast lane! A boy got a Heli for Christmas got it in the air and has never seen it since. I call that the fast lane to bad some old guy was not around to help.
Something about this post jogged my memory, especially the part...No more AMA, no more mowing.... Being from Colorado myself, I remember reading posts from a member from Sterling, Colorado over 10 years ago. So I did a search and found what I thought to be the case.
I do not like pointing fingers, but Live Wire, this not your first time posting statements that seem like you want to ignite controversy. Maybe you are just trying to get us to think, but maybe not. You have been doing this since you started on RCU, and now you say you are done with the AMA and mowing etc. etc. Well, I wish you well........
Old 12-29-2013, 09:50 AM
Live Wire

Yes I have posted this before and Yes same problem same people involved. When you have people that like to set back and smell the roses and not work in the garden very little changes. I started this club in 76 have held offices that others try to run after you take it. They say don't give up but there is a time when you just don't give a damn any more. You fight just so long and when the odds are against you what can you do. I am to old to keep fighting where money and power rule. The fun has done left a hobby I have enjoyed longer than a lot of people have been alive. Yes when you see what is taking place today and some do not care. A young man that looses his dream in a few minutes , not being able to really enjoy the hobby sport that he thought he may have a life of enjoyment in. OH yes I have POSTED BEFORE. Yes The RC OULAW has returned.

Last edited by Live Wire; 12-29-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:13 AM
warningshot

Originally Posted by oil_can_harry
Well darn , I guess that now I am 58 and the oldest at the field, I am the " old timer ". I still love to fly after 25 years. Still love the smell of nitro. Still love to hear that 2 stroke winding tighter and tighter. I am the only one that maintains the field. It is a dirt field, but it works. I spent 1500.00 to get it sprayed again this year. I built a roller that weighs 5,000 lbs. to pull behind my truck to keep it flat and smooth. I carry the trash drum off when it's full and bring it back. I get offered help every now and then but not often. I love to fly. I will help anyone if they ask with their plane. Or give them a prop if they break one. Have trainered many pilots and made them good pilots. I love to fly. I gave a 14 year old kid a Mach 1 trainer after he learned to fly it. Gave him everything but my transmitter. Gave my nephew another Mach 1 after he learned how to fly. Gave him everything but my transmitter. I love to fly. I have another Mach 1 trainer built and have 4-5 flights on it. If someone really wants to learn to fly, I will teach them, and probably give them this Mach 1 also. I love to fly. Normally takes me about 10 hours to get someone who will listen to get them to the point of their solo flight. After every solo, I take the prop off the plane, put on another, write their name and date on the prop I took off so they will have it to remind them of the day they were able to solo. I love to fly. I have given away planes that I have crashed that wasn't going to be that hard to fix, just to give someone the experience of what it takes to really fix a plane. A lot of times they get the idea to build a kit, which I offer to help if they want help. I love to fly. And a lot of times they do want the help. It's one thing to read how to do something, but it's a lot easier if someone shows you. I still build kits, I have Arf 's, I just recently bought a foamy. I love to fly. I have never used anything but 15% nitro on everything. I buy cheap standard fox glow plugs and use them on everything. While at the field, I normally fly twice as long as anyone else. Have the usual problems like everyone else, but not as often. I do a complete check on every plane I am going to fly the night before I go to the field. I go to the field to fly, not work on my planes. I love to fly. The new generation is just that, the new generation. More electronics and knowledge at the tip of fingers that we didn't have. We had to wait for a magazine or something in the mail to see new stuff. Taught us patience. Now everything is right here right now. Get mad if the internet is running slow. I love to fly. There is pride and satisfaction in building a plane from a box of sticks. Putting your colors on whatever they might be. Having a plane like no one else's. Building a kit is still expensive. Learning to cover a plane well is a challenge. Not everyone is good with their hands. I think more arf'ers would actually build a plane or 2 if someone would give them a little guidance here and there. The new generation is smart, but learned wisdom has to be passed down. Oh, by the way, FLY !!
Just one question.....Do you love to fly.

Last edited by warningshot; 12-29-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:14 AM
DISCUS54
My Feedback: (211)

Originally Posted by Pete Lane
And mind your own bees wax !.
They are only grumpy because they are off their meds.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:20 AM
cublover
My Feedback: (47)

You know whats ironic?? The same kind of people we are talking about are in this thread,, say'n,, "YEAH, I'm with you guys!!! I had been bashed here on RCU for something I shared, and one of the good ol boys posting here bashed my head, because it he KNEW the plane never "had" what I posted. He did apologize for his blast, but its thing like that, that make it hard for newcomers, and family's wanting to come out. If people are argue'n all the time, I know I don't want to be around it!!! When I got in the hobby, it was so different then,,,but then again, it was a better time...not as many people were stressed about life, money, politics, and all the crap that plagues us today....
Old 12-29-2013, 11:42 AM
Live Wire

The only thing I have really seen change in my life time is the clothes people wear, and riches has change its values.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:44 AM
Live Wire

You want my tomb stone with the 50" hose attached. We earned our right to be grummmmpy.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:13 PM
acerc

What has changed?
The, we can do it, is now don't want to.
The I will work for it, replaced with, it will be given to me.
The go and earn it became, I deserve it. And on and on.
"YES" the mentality of the younger generations has changed. We are no longer a people of honor, pride, hard work, selflessness, dedication, those ideas have been taught out of their mindset. And they have been replaced with You are a part of a whole, you are not special, you are no different, you deserve it, you have a right to it, and on and on.
If history has taught us anything, it is, that the free will of a people will be taken away for the greater good, or given by those that represent them.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:17 PM
stoneenforcer
My Feedback: (23)

at 38 years old, im among the youngest of around 300+ members in my club. the older retired gents are typically entertained by my more techy set ups ect.. truly a great group of guys at the clubs core. I feel lucky and privileged to be associated with the club as Ive seen and experienced first hand what bad leadership can do to clubs that no longer exist.

I say, stay positive, be a positive influence to others and teach them. one day, we'll all be old men watching the younger guys fly.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:21 PM
acerc

I have read this entire thread and most of everything that is wrong with every complaint is the lack of respect. If you join a club, respect what it is but work to change it. If you go to a club and don't like the people have the respect for yourself to freely leave without the bad mouthing, they did not ask you to stop by. Have a little respect and honor towards others and yourself. We all have opinions and ideas of what should and should not be, but I was taught to respect what has came before me, respect my elders, and appreciate what others have achieved.

But of course now days those things do not matter, it's all about me with no regard to how I get it.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:29 PM
Live Wire

A big plus one.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:46 PM
acerc

Most people just don't understand that they only have that right because of those grumpy old men. Three people in my life taught me everything and did not even know it. My grandfather (WWII) vet, my father (Vietnam) vet, and my barber (Vietnam) vet. Their stories and the honor, pride, and respect they showed in and through everything they said and did can not be replaced. We only have what rights people like them fought, bled, cried, and died to bestow upon us. It would be a cold day in hell before I would ever disrespect a "Grumpy old man" ( with apologies), I don't like even using that term. We as a human race are not born with anything much less rights, be thankful for those you were given and to those whom gave them to you.

And you Sir (Larry) are one of those men we all should give thanks to. Thank you.

Last edited by acerc; 12-29-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:58 PM
acerc

I also have a son whom served in the US ARMY. He came home with injuries, and very little support other than volunteers. As for funding for their support, well, lets just say politicians care more for their re-election than giving those that gave a fraction of what they need. And I also know a few others whom have the same hardship's upon returning home. And the amount of disrespect I see being given to them really pisses me off, even has got me into a bit of trouble a time or two. No I can't just stand by and watch, not in my DNA/bones/me.
Sorry for the rant and such but we have it made, and coming on here and whining over such trivial things is pathetic.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:07 PM
LDM

I said it before and it was said again (even better above ) respect, thats all it takes .
Respect the planes people fly, the type , the time they can invest ,the money they can invest , work out your differences, if you cant give time as a volunteer give something in another way , but most of all respect .
Trust me , in coaching Hockey we grew our club beyond recognition because regardless of how rude , cocky, talent , no talent , rich , poor etc , with the communication you can make people feel that you have listened to them, respect them and they will show you respect in return.
The greatest quote I ever heard was "treat people the way you want them to become vs how they currently appear and they will fulfill your every expectation"
Old 12-29-2013, 01:12 PM
acerc

Do unto to others as you would have them do unto you!!
Amen..
Old 12-29-2013, 02:05 PM
JPerrone

My votes on grumpy people of all ages, gender, color. Its not the age that makes grumpy old men the PITA that they are. It's the fact that they're GRUMPY!!!

There is certainly an aging aspect to the development of grumpiness, just like an old wine that has to mature and build complexity. But it doesn't have to be that way; just too commonly is!!!

As far as "building is better"; you can have too much of a good thing in some cases. My brother only wants to build and doesn't care to fly. I'd rather be flying than building. My biggest reluctance to building AND flying is I'd rather crash an ARF than something I built!!! So, I may build and put it up for display; and fly the foamies

Regards

Regards
Old 12-29-2013, 02:32 PM
jetmaven

You go Countilaw , you're exactly on the money .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.