Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

FF rubber powered forum and trim help

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

FF rubber powered forum and trim help

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 02:26 AM
JPerrone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FF rubber powered forum and trim help

As this is as far from RC as you can get, Clubhouse sounds like the right place. As a youngster I built quite a few Guillows planes, none of them every flew very well. They did blow up quite well when we added the ultimate option of firecrackers!!!

However, 40 years on I now take it as a challenge to build and fly one that actually flies. Along the way, I bought a Revell Sky Soarer; this has four solid balsa parts (wing, body, vert and horiz stabs), and rubber motor. If you really drag the build out, it can take you 3 minutes to finish this one... Anyway, it rolls to the left.

Anyone know how to trim one of these? I am thinking it could be balance. The vert stab doesn't look bent.

Anyone know of a FF rubber powered forum? I did some searching online first but didn't find one.

- My first stick built model on this campaign will be a Guillows Arrow, for the Guillows 2014 challenge;
- Followed by a Guillows Flyboy, bought cheap ($9) off of Amazon
- Followed by a laser cut Guillows Beaver. Because I like Beavers!

Then I think I'll try a Pecks Polymer, anything from them really
Then maybe a Dumas Mr. Mulligan. Because next to a Beaver, I like the Mr. Mulligan a lot.

Regards
Old 01-19-2014, 06:13 AM
green river rc
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was young I to use to build stick and tissue models and most were Guillows. As I got older and more experienced I realized the Guillows planes that I grew up on that I thought were so great were just plain to heavy to fly correctly! I figured it out when one day I stumbles upon a Herr Engineering Piper Tri Pacer dirt cheep at a RC swap meet. Let me tell you that plane flew way higher and longer that anything Guillows I ever had because the lighter colored wood was lighter (not the rock hard gray stuff I was use to) and the parts fit and instructions were better. When my son was about 10 I bought him a Peck Polymers Prairie Bird kit and that thing would absolutely fly out of sight if not careful, we had a blast with it and the RC folks at the field were amazed it flew that well. We then moved on to a Peck Polymers One Night 28" and there was not a corn field in the knob land of central KY that could properly contain that bird, hung it in a tree several times. Well I'm starting to ramble a bit so I'll try to help you with your question...http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl is a forum I use to visit quite often but I have not been in there in a few years, they are friendly, knowledgable folks than can help you. Good to see stick and tissue is still alive, if I can I will dig up some of my old planes and post a picture since I can't stand to throw them away. It was funny you mentioned fire crackers because I did the same thing, I would occasionaly light one on fire but the preferred method of disposal was a Black Cat. Ha Ha!